PDA

View Full Version : DK2 to CV1 Experience

flibberflops
04-06-2016, 10:55
Hi,
I have previously read some concerns from DK2 users about upgrading to a CV1 (as they think its not a big enough upgrade)

Therefore I thought I would make some quick specific Pcars points regarding my recent jump from a DK2 to a CV1 (apologies, never used a Vive so can't compare)....

General Image Quality

On Paper the CV1 doesn't seem like a massive jump in quality over the DK2. In reallity it is a huge jump. As soon as I put on my CV1 and got the Oculus demo room (white room with grid) I could instantly see the jump in quality. Ok its still not 4k and perhaps if you were a monitor based user then you will notice the downgrade, but comming from a well used DK2 I was instantly surprised at the clarity increase.

I am running a i7/16GB/980 setup, so I have good power to ramp up the settings in Pcars. Here are some main points...

Cockpit

The cockpit in front of you now truely looks HD. Everything can be clearly read. You wouldn't ask for much more than this quality level for you interiour unless you were really picky.

Monza

I initially picked Monza for two reasons. Firstly I wanted to see what the trackside fencing looked like (on the DK2 it reallly showed up the jagged lines of the chainlink fencing). Now on the CV1 it has virtually all gone (except slight jaggies on the upright poles). Secondly I wanted to see the view distance going into the last corner (turn 8) from long straight leading up to it. On the DK2 it was difficult to make out details of the parabolica until you were quite close indeed. Now on the CV1, if you stop at the exit of turn 7, you can see all the way down the straight and you can indeed make out the corner from all that distance (just). By the time you get anywhere near the braking point for turn 8, it is very clearly detailed indeed.

Edit... I just remembered, there was a 3rd reason I tried Monza. Using the DK2 on Monza at midday (in Summer) was so bright that the track was a total colour washout (even with the added contrast option in the Pcars settings). Now on the CV1 that is gone, you get great contrast on a bright sunny day.

Le mans / Brands Hatch

I repeated the distance check again on Le mans. On the long Straights you can now clearly see the cones at the turning points miles before you need to brake. On Brands Hatch I spun out on Clarkes Curve, only to be surprised to see that I was able to look across the site and quite clearly see the details of Graham Hills bend way in the distance.

Nurburgring

Finally I went onto the old favorite to see what i could do there. In the past I had avoid this track on the DK2, purely because I couldn't be bothered to learn the track and I couldn't see the bends well enough on the DK2 to wing it at a high speed. Now that has all changed. Not only is the image quality now good enough to claerly see the bends but also the road textures are extremely clear. This means that all the braking points can be clearly seen in detail purely by the amount of rubber on the track. The varying darkness makes it now easy to determin not only when to brake but also how hard. On the first attemp in the CV1 I was able to put in a clean fast lap using visual indications only. Indeed, as soon as you exit the last corner before the mahoosive straight you can clearly see the straight all the way down under the bridge (where the track finally bends again). That is a big ass straight.

SDE

Can you see the black gaps between the pixels? Well yes a tiny bit but you really, really, really need to be looking. Honestly, you really need to be some kind of image quality Nazi to even mention this. To be honest from my techno experience I am amazed that they have been able to make it almost invisible when your face is so close to the screen.

Fogging

I have seen other people mention that fogging is no longer an issue on the CV1 has been fixed. Maybe I am "Sweaty McSweatFace" but when I first used my CV1 I had it on for about 10 seconds before it started fogging up (at that was just on oculus home). Therefore, for me a fan pointing towards my face (which clears the fog instanly) is still a much needed setup for my cockpit. Obviously its no worse than the DK2 was for me... but I can't see any improvemnt in this instance.

God Rays

Yes, god rays exisit. For those who don't know what this is, its a concequence of the new lenses that cause light flair when you have bright white on black backgrounds. To be fair it is annoying ...but luckily it only really happens (on any game) in menu's where you have bright white logo's on black backgrounds. During Pcars you get it on the menu's and load screens. In game I only noticed it once... In the Jaguar Palmer, on the left side of the dashboard there is a metal toggle switch on the black carbon dash. When I glance over the end of the switch flared slighly from the end of the switch.

Edit... Just tried a Monza night race with a Bac Mono. I have to say the god rays weren't bad at all. The only real good rays were seen on the start finish staright (which has tall track lights). These were giving off slight god rays. Although it almost looked like a proper effect. The only other thing I noticed was the headlight lit track seem to make the edges of my periphial vision flair from the lighting (only very slightly). However, again it was almost like an purposely made effect to simulate the helmet visor.

FOV

The field of View is no different from the DK2. To be honest I never really had a issue with FOV in the DK2 generally in any game. However, if anything I guess in Pcars the so called limited FOV adds to the Helmet experience!

Sound

I think this is important as it is not mentioned much. Sound is really impressive. In the past I have owned really good "in ear" headphones and really good "Cup" headphones. I have never used any foam covered "sit on ear" headphones that can be described as anything but crap... until now. The sound is really good. Bass is also really strong. They also go quite loud indeed. I like Pcars loud, I like the roar of the engine. These do the job perfectly. The fact that they are attached to the headset is a god send, it make life so much easier. They adjust really well too in 3 sepearte axis so you can get them exactly snug right against each ear... where they stay put. Each ear adjusts independently so you can have one ear partly or not covered (if you want to listen out for the doorbell etc). The included Oculus remote has volume controls on it so you can adjust the volume at any point. This is my only critism because the volume controls are "+" and "-" shaped keys which I find not easy to "blind feel" with my rough man hands.

Headset Comfort

There is not a lot to be said about this than hasn't been said before. You could easily wear the headset all day. It is light, extreamly easy to fit and adjust to exacting comfort. The headband no longer chops into your ear (like the DK2). The cable is now a top quality rubber single cable that exits the CV1 from a clip just above your left ear.

Package Quality

Lastly, I don't think anyone really mentions this but the whole package (headset, camera, remote and even the Xbox one controller) really has an air of quality about it. It is one of these things that you would sit and hold and even show friends without it even being plugged in. Its almost Apple design quality wise (including the box it comes in).

Summary

If you are a DK2 PCars user then I would say that the CV1 is indeed a huge jump and more than enough to warrant a upgrade (obviously you may need to consider uplifting your PC too).

If anyone has any specific Pcars/CV1 questions that I haven't answered then please ask.

cluck
04-06-2016, 12:05
You're not making it any easier for me, as a DK2 owner, to resist upgrading :p

Nice write-up :)

ctd
04-06-2016, 13:52
Very nice write-up flibber. Especially on the issue of looking into corners.

Thanks a lot.

Now I can't wait for my CV1 to come. :cool:

Khyber GT
06-06-2016, 02:04
You're not making it any easier for me, as a DK2 owner, to resist upgrading :p

Nice write-up :)

prob something you should have already done!

BigDad
06-06-2016, 03:21
Oh man this sounds soooo sweet. I just hope and pray that pCars is going to come to PSVR.
I know it probably won't be CV1 quality but with the added hp of the soon to be announced Neo ( fingers crossed) we should be getting close.
I really don't won't my first racing in VR to be on Gran Turismo.

Khyber GT
06-06-2016, 04:07
this game is going to have to look god awful to run on psvr considering how hard it can be to run on a beefy pc on low with a full field.

RaceNut
06-06-2016, 16:09
I received my CV1 on May 31st and the OP reflects my experience coming from the DK2 to the CV1 very well.:)

I think it all comes down to one's expectations but, some of the biggest complaints about CV1 seem to come from those totally new to VR. Others may be bothered by the "God Ray's" more but, I do think they are a fair trade off for improved image quality. The overall smoothness of the head-tracking and improved user-friendly nature of CV1 is really great and much appreciated. The head-strap design is a major upgrade over the DK2 - especially for longer sessions. The sound of the headphones is surprisingly good and it seems like the overall spatial sound aspects are better than with my Sennheizer HD555's.

djbuzz07
07-06-2016, 06:41
I received my CV1 on May 31st and the OP reflects my experience coming from the DK2 to the CV1 very well.:)

I think it all comes down to one's expectations but, some of the biggest complaints about CV1 seem to come from those totally new to VR. Others may be bothered by the "God Ray's" more but, I do think they are a fair trade off for improved image quality. The overall smoothness of the head-tracking and improved user-friendly nature of CV1 is really great and much appreciated. The head-strap design is a major upgrade over the DK2 - especially for longer sessions. The sound of the headphones is surprisingly good and it seems like the overall spatial sound aspects are better than with my Sennheizer HD555's.

I was new to VR and went straight to the CV1, once over the initial wow factor, I got hung up on the resolution of the screen, although once you start racing you barely notice it and while we would all love 4k per eye no pc could run it.
I think the CV1 is remarkable, the sense of speed, scale and fun is mental, every time i put it on I literally can't believe my luck, now all we need is foveated rendering.

jim jonez
07-06-2016, 13:25
Informative post ...great write up...
Thanks for taking the time.

Would love to make the jump but means upgrading my PC and graphics which bring the overall cost up, not worth it at the moment ...with new Nvidea cards coming out soon....Next year is looking like a good time for me

kidcurry
09-06-2016, 00:27
Currently running titan with 5775c cpu and dk2. Set to dx9 with most settings on high. At Lemans with 55 cars runs real smooth. Will try my CV1 this weekend. Wonder how much of a hit the fps will take? Will also try with my my 980 ti as a comparison. No going back to monitor for me.

MrTulip
18-06-2016, 09:53
I got my CV1 three days ago. I'm not completely happy with image quality, although the device is clearly better than DK2 in so many ways.

DK2 has focus point in the middle of the lens. It is a trade off as sides of the lenses are more blurry and you learned to move your head instead of your eyes. In CV1 this focus point does not seem to exist. As a plus the image has even quality anywhere you look, but having used to sharp middle point in DK2, now the whole image just feels too blurry to me.

Also because of bit too much smudging, it is almost pointless to use higher antialiasing modes than DS2X. I did not see any difference between DS4X and DS6X. DS4X would have been my choice anyway, but now because of this extra blur on CV1, DS2X looks almost same as DS4X (compared to DK2 where the difference between two was very distinguishable). Now DS2X looks like "DS4M" if such mode existed.

EDIT: Ok, it looks like blur is mostly software induced. I first tested with AA off and Oculus Debug Tool PPDP Override value 2.0, and the picture is a lot more crisp.

Eventually I found a good middle range at DS2X and PPDPO 1.5. As in that other CV1 thread, I understand that this is pretty close to DS4X, but without additional smoothing (so in effect it may be something like DS4X pixel quality with half of its smoothing effect).

I also tried Nvidia control panel DSR which is supposed to do same things, but as in the past, Nvidia DSR values have no effect to image quality in pCARS.

kidcurry
18-06-2016, 17:42
Using CV1, even at dx9 and settings ar ultra there is definitely still jaggies on fencing at poles. Is this normal, was expecting better. Seems the game is ignoring the dx9 settings.

Ramjet
20-06-2016, 08:01
Just got my Rift cv1 too ... long time no VR for me since I sold my dk2 last October which seems an age ago. I gotta say I had my expectations set fairly low what with so much complaints of god rays and some people saying the resolution was barely improved from dk2 - so I was really happily surprised and this to me is such a nice vr system and leaps & bounds ahead of dk2 in every way. I only had a quick go with a joypad at Bathurst in storm with 25 ai and I could not stop grinning. I absolutely loved racing in my dk2 and once my rig with steering and motion is setup again I believe the cv1 is truly a big leap for me. Hope others are enjoying as much as I am ! :frog:

Oh and probably what also has helped things along is my first pc upgrade since early 2011 to an i7-6700K happily running at 4.7ghz home to a Gigabyte 1080 G1 Gaming.

John Hargreaves
20-06-2016, 11:56
Just got my Rift cv1 too ...

Oh and probably what also has helped things along is my first pc upgrade since early 2011 to an i7-6700K happily running at 4.7ghz home to a Gigabyte 1080 G1 Gaming.

Yeah, I could see how that would help things along :joyous:.

Anyway, nice write up Flibber, it's always interesting to hear different points of view sensibly put across. So my good news is that my rift arrived last week, the bad news is that my GTX970 is still at MSI after going pop the week before, so I just have an empty PCI slot that I keep staring at. I've spent a while getting the fit right on my rift, whilst staring into the blackness, so that bit should be ok once I can plug the thing into something. If the 23 weeks between ordering and delivery has taught me anything, it's patience.