PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Abt tries out pCARS

Markus Ott
19-06-2016, 13:22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaFDyRdo7mU

For all non German speakers and for the devs, here is his opinion, which could be taken as feedback for improvement for pCARS 2.

Graphically it's top.
On the setup screen he instantly recognized much too high tire pressures and almost no camber.
Although the HUD shows working tire temperatures, the tires aren't really there on the outlap.
Compared to real life he misses feedback from the FFB over curbs.
He also doesn't "feel" the TC working out of first gear corners like bus stop.
He misses options to dial up and down TC and ABS in the car.
He also misses more good visible brake markers that are supposed to be there nearer to the track, which makes consistent braking problematic.
Overall it is fun to drive pCARS and the realism is "ok". He points out that even professional simulators can't reproduce reality.

If you don't know who Daniel Abt is: he is a former GP2 and current Formula E and Bentley GT3 driver.
You can find more videos of him on his youtube channel.

Shogun613
19-06-2016, 14:42
Interesting, although as far as the ffb is concerned, the lack of curb feel may be due to the way his ffb was setup. I have mine configured in a way where I can feel bumps and curbs very clearly and sometimes jarringly, especially at Le Sarthe and Road America.

Mahjik
19-06-2016, 14:48
There was some discussion about that video in the following thread:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?47762-PCARS-and-multiplayer-what-could-have-been

(not pointing out that you should have found it, but just point it out so others can see the comments)

rosko
21-06-2016, 16:43
yeah i think that thread has gone off on a bit of a tangent. Does he state that the game is more forgiving than it should be? I know pcars is more forgiving than some other sims but i wonder how this ties into reality?

havocc
21-06-2016, 16:52
yeah i think that thread has gone off on a bit of a tangent. Does he state that the game is more forgiving than it should be? I know pcars is more forgiving than some other sims but i wonder how this ties into reality?

Dunno tbh, i tried Falcon at laguna seca in Iracing and first corner was a total nightmare with car spinning all around under braking even with increased front brake bias :eek:

Sankyo
21-06-2016, 17:46
Race sims have been criticized for being much harder than real life for a long time. pCARS AFAIK was the first sim to break away from the 'harder is more realistic' dogma, and the other sims seem to go into that direction as well. Most of the feedback from our physics consultants is still about tyre behaviour and how gradual and predictable they usually are at and over the limit, i.e. they won't kill you immediately when losing some grip.

rauf0
21-06-2016, 17:59
Lewis says it all
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/124814

E_Luckow
21-06-2016, 18:41
Dunno tbh, i tried Falcon at laguna seca in Iracing and first corner was a total nightmare with car spinning all around under braking even with increased front brake bias :eek:

IMO, it's one of the hardest car in game... and not that good or close to the real thing.

For a long time, almost every road car in iRacing was plagued with a stupid lack of grip under low speed...

havocc
21-06-2016, 19:06
IMO, it's one of the hardest car in game... and not that good or close to the real thing.

For a long time, almost every road car in iRacing was plagued with a stupid lack of grip under low speed...

I meant the v8 supercar

Mahjik
21-06-2016, 19:53

pCARS is really close. What makes pCARS easier is the sliding friction which a lot of sims don't replicate. It allows a driver to regain control after the car scrubs off some speed in certain situations which is realistic. However pCARS does allow you to push a little harder than you could in real life (which is what Mr. Abt is referring to). Having been part of WMD, I and understand why SMS went a little conservative with a brand new tire model. We got some peeks into some of the tech they were testing (which was the flash heating which annoyed a good portion of the community) but I'm sure SMS has some tricks up their sleeves for pCARS2. Given they won't be creating a new tire model from scratch again, they will be able to spend that amount of time on refining what they already have..

E_Luckow
21-06-2016, 20:18
I meant the v8 supercar

I know.

Cheesenium
22-06-2016, 03:34
I am not surprised to see Daniel's criticism on some aspects of the game while he liked some other aspects.

Even Rene Rast, Ben Collins and Nick Hamilton have their own criticism and also praises on pcars. Rene's first couple of post in WMD had also pointed out a few other shortcomings in pcars 1 handling model. At the game, this is a game trying to replicate reality where there will be some aspect not simulated as well as everyone would like to.