PDA

View Full Version : Why I love pCARS

Javaniceday
27-06-2016, 02:45
So pCARS isn't perfect, we all know that. But damn it if it isn't an amzing game regardless. Really I haven't had a battle like this in any game - the lag in other games doesn't allow it. With pCARS, smooth, smooth as silk. With pCARS, you can have the real weather automatically. You can race with the sunset, and time it so you get a nice transition from sunset to night time.

Incredible. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdt38wLcGWI

This is from the PRL International League, 6/26. This is the 3rd round. I greatly encourage you guys to give this league a try. It's the way the game is meant to be played, in my humble opinion. And you can really tell the differences in the cars in the Group A class. The Ford - really powerful but a beast to handle. The Merc - pretty well rounded. The Beemer - A little low in power but handles incredibly. Btw, we have a gentlemen's agreement the Ford has to have the turbo at default (otherwise it would be way too overpowered)

Such a fun league. Give it a shot you guys!

http://precisionracingleague.com/ocp/forum/index.php?page=forumview&id=project-cars%2Fpc-championships%2Finternational-project_2

NemethR
27-06-2016, 09:08
This game really shines in rain / at night, the sounds (mostly) and the graphics are incredible, the immersion is great, the car pool is also large (altough missing a few manufacturers), the track roster is also great (tough still missing the ovals, and a few tracks), to sum it up, this is the best racing simulator I ever played, and I played a lot.
It has a lot of potential too, that could still be exploited, if SMS would be willing to do so...

Leper Messiah
27-06-2016, 09:33
Gotta agree, yeah it's got problems (VERY well documented problems! ;) ) But luckily apart from a dodgy initial period (solved when I unclocked my CPU) I've had no real issues and massively enjoying the game.

one example: I was in a Caterham Academy race 95% Ai and in the lead by about 5 seconds at Oulton, noticed a little blob on the screen appear, then another, I then had that feeling that I'm sure REAL drivers and Riders have when they lead and those blobs appear on their visors, that "oh Shoot" moment. NO other game has made me feel that way! There is SO much immersion in this game due to having the best depiction of weather and Time of Day in any sim.

Leper Messiah
27-06-2016, 09:37
It has a lot of potential too, that could still be exploited, if SMS would be willing to do so...

I think SMS are more than willing, but you have to factor in a LOT of external influences (time, money etc). Same goes for all the Sim Devs and ALL game devs actually!! What they plan to implement and what they can actually do and get the game timely released are often not compatible (sadly).

What is also sad is people who don't accept that and have hissy fits and even send death threats (No Man's Sky springs to mind)!!

NemethR
27-06-2016, 13:34
I think SMS are more than willing, but you have to factor in a LOT of external influences (time, money etc). Same goes for all the Sim Devs and ALL game devs actually!! What they plan to implement and what they can actually do and get the game timely released are often not compatible (sadly).

What is also sad is people who don't accept that and have hissy fits and even send death threats (No Man's Sky springs to mind)!!

What I do not agree with is leaving the game after 1 year.
This game could be right up there for 3-4 years. (and then move on)

Bealdor
27-06-2016, 13:38

And where do you expect does the money come from if not enough players are buying new content?

Diamond_Eyes
27-06-2016, 13:48
Why I love pCARS?

Although I've never driven race cars or any other exotica, the pCars physics seem plausibly good to me. I can experience the differences between the classes: FA/FB/FC are pretty planted, GT3 you get the boat-like behaviour from the chassis etc etc. You can feel the cars and the limits even with a (blunt-knife) controller and feel when you make changes to the setup. Turn 1, Snetterton with FA I can really feel that downforce.

All-in-all, a phenomenal job on the car physics. Sounds and graphics, time progression are right up there too.

Hugs

TerminatorGR
27-06-2016, 19:34
PCars' career mode has been giving me some of the best racing game experiences of my life. Actually, when I think about the latest Forza Motorsport games' joke of a career mode and GT Sport which doesnt even have a career mode, I thank God for Slightly Mad.

Riccardo De Rosa
27-06-2016, 20:05
I love pcars for

1) Graphics
2) 3D Model ( cars and track )
3) FFB
4) Physics
5) Dynamic Weather
6) Real Weather
7) Atmosphere
8) Sound
9) Sense of speed
10) Cam
11) Cars in game
12) Netcode on pc

i not love pcars for:
1) Setup management ( save more than one setup and send setup to others)
2) Dedicated Server
3) lack of a circuit editor (because few circuits)
4) Multi class
5) Replay

Pro 12 Con 5 : i Love pcars :)

ps maybe I've forgotten some pro point but I'm sure that con are all

mapguy
27-06-2016, 20:08
The only thing that I would consider a con for pCars is not being able to save car set ups.

Oh.. and the fact that Mosport is not availabile....

Other than that. I love this game.

hkraft300
27-06-2016, 20:13
Why I love pCARS?

Although I've never driven race cars or any other exotica, the pCars physics seem plausibly good to me. I can experience the differences between the classes: FA/FB/FC are pretty planted, GT3 you get the boat-like behaviour from the chassis etc etc. You can feel the cars and the limits even with a (blunt-knife) controller and feel when you make changes to the setup. Turn 1, Snetterton with FA I can really feel that downforce.

All-in-all, a phenomenal job on the car physics. Sounds and graphics, time progression are right up there too.

Hugs

What he said.
+ LMP cars. You feel the downforce. The drag. The hybrid systems charge is even affected by your shift and brake patterns/setup.
I feel the difference with a tweak of spring and damper.
Hit a high curb with too low accel diff lock and the inside wheel spins up.
A shift in brake bias changes tyre temps slightly.
Wet tyres start to overheat in light rain conditions and, as the rain gets heavier and track gets more wet the grip level changes.

Proper.

Haiden
27-06-2016, 20:44
Because I really can't play any other racing sim on console since I got the game. To me, that says everything. :)

RudyOnRails
27-06-2016, 21:39
Because I really can't play any other racing sim on console since I got the game. To me, that says everything. :)

Have exactly the same feeling... Bought Dirt, played for 1 month. But I always noticed that, while I was playing Dirt, I was thinking about getting back to project cars!

Leper Messiah
29-06-2016, 08:24

No-one knows the financial state of SMS, they have made a decision based on their financial status. SMS are not a behemoth with millions in the bank to have a protracted support system. Nor are they small enough to concentrate on one product and support it for a longer period once they have enough money from initial sales. You have to look at the situation as a business man as well as a sim racing fan.

Personally I agree with you that support and gradual upgrading would have made the game as good as we all envisioned. But looking at the other games like that and how slow they move and how many either lack features or lack content I'm certain SMS have made the only decision they could have.

Redna1L
29-06-2016, 13:28
I love it because it's the only game where I can race with a mate and throw in some AI and inclement weather to spice things up.
Now if that AI was just a little less brain dead.... :p

Xraider
30-06-2016, 10:19
I got that good setup going, beating AI by 1-2 seconds a lap. Holding firm. Rain starts. It's ok, I'm prepared. I pit mid-race with the P2 some 4.5 seconds away.

My pit crew gets to work. Suddenly I hear: "Sorry mate one of our crew mates dropped a screw, it's going to be a bit." I come out at P10. My goodness the realism. Haha.

Sankyo
30-06-2016, 13:12
Let's drop the support/bug fix discussion in this thread please, it has been discussed at length in other threads so please stop contaminating every thread about pCARS's positive qualities with repeating the same discussion.

Haiden
30-06-2016, 15:54
I got that good setup going, beating AI by 1-2 seconds a lap. Holding firm. Rain starts. It's ok, I'm prepared. I pit mid-race with the P2 some 4.5 seconds away.

My pit crew gets to work. Suddenly I hear: "Sorry mate one of our crew mates dropped a screw, it's going to be a bit." I come out at P10. My goodness the realism. Haha.

You must be racing for Red Bull. :p

SenorPez
30-06-2016, 20:02
You must be racing for Red Bull. :p

Monaco, where my belief that Danny Rick never stopped smiling, died. #neverforget

kidcurry
02-07-2016, 18:40
My buddy and I like the same thing, good racing with AI thrown in. We race AI at 100 percent and start from the back with no passing allowed for 1 lap. Great racing, and if we get separated during race we still have challenge passing AI. We allow 10 points for each car past in race (30 car field). We also assess 50 point penalty for causing accident, as well as points for top 10 finish. 50 point penalty for driving aids. If we are racing back to back and front guy cannot make headway, we move over and let other guy try like team orders. We run 1 hr races, have a great time.

pippinfort
04-07-2016, 18:39
Nearly 500 hours in - and I still get a buzz from time trials.