PDA

View Full Version : Fast steering ratio Formula a

Max Verstappen
28-06-2016, 01:06
Hello guys,

Can somebody explain me (an amature) this please. Racing is mostly about steering into turns as good and fast as possible. With the setup of my car I can change the steering ratio between fast and slow. If I understand it right I need less movement to steer when I set the ratio fast. This means I can steer into turns more fast and easy.

Why would I not always set the ratio as fast as possible? Why I see on the internet and youtube a lot of setups which are more slow? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Schnizz58
28-06-2016, 03:39
When you set it faster, it takes less steering input to turn the tires a certain amount. So if your steering input has x amount of error, that error will translate into a larger error at the tires. Or put another way, the car gets twitchy and it's easier to be smooth with a higher ratio. So that's why you don't set it as low as possible. Set it just low enough to get around the tightest corner without going hand-over-hand.

Also to a certain degree it's down to personal preference. I tend to like lower ratios but others like it higher.

Markus Ott
28-06-2016, 11:35
Now that's a new theory that steering fast into a turn is best.
Smooth is fast. Steering too fast results in destroying the tires and massive understeer until the rubber of the tires catches up to the change of wheel direction.

kevin kirk
28-06-2016, 15:41
Every time I play with this setting I can only tell just a very small change. Sometimes so small I'm not sure if I feel any difference at all. Is that what everyone is feeling? I'm on controller.

Schnizz58
28-06-2016, 15:50
Every time I play with this setting I can only tell just a very small change. Sometimes so small I'm not sure if I feel any difference at all. Is that what everyone is feeling? I'm on controller.
It's probably just your imagination that you're feeling anything at all. There is a bug that when you change it you have to exit the session you're in and restart it before the change takes effect.

kevin kirk
28-06-2016, 15:57
It's probably just your imagination that you're feeling anything at all. There is a bug that when you change it you have to exit the session you're in and restart it before the change takes effect.
.....seems like I read that some where. So I need to setup the car with the ratio I want. Then quit back to the main menu and reenter the race again and the change will be felt?

Schnizz58
28-06-2016, 16:00
I don't know if you have to go all the way back to the main menu but you have to exit that race, or practice session or whatever and then go back in and you should notice the difference.

Max Verstappen
28-06-2016, 16:27
When you set it faster, it takes less steering input to turn the tires a certain amount. So if your steering input has x amount of error, that error will translate into a larger error at the tires. Or put another way, the car gets twitchy and it's easier to be smooth with a higher ratio. So that's why you don't set it as low as possible. Set it just low enough to get around the tightest corner without going hand-over-hand.

Also to a certain degree it's down to personal preference. I tend to like lower ratios but others like it higher.

Thanks for your explenation!

Max Verstappen
28-06-2016, 16:31
Now that's a new theory that steering fast into a turn is best.
Smooth is fast. Steering too fast results in destroying the tires and massive understeer until the rubber of the tires catches up to the change of wheel direction.

Steering as fast as possible into a corner is something else then steering fast into a corner ;). Sorry if my english is bad. I just meant the goal is to take/exit a turn as fast a possible with the best racing line etcetera.