PDA

View Full Version : The annoyances of online racing - Are you one of these people?

ClippingTheApex
22-07-2016, 08:40
Firstly, I've got to say I'm really enjoying Project Cars, I've been playing it for a couple of months, but only with a wheel in the last 3 weeks or so, which transformed the game for me personally.
With a background firmly rooted in the Gran Turismo series, and gaming career spanning the last 30 years, I'd class myself as an enthusiastic mid fielder and I much prefer online racing (regardless of the pitfalls and annoyances listed below) to playing career type modes within the game.

So, the things I've grown to dislike about racing online (these apply to all racing games, not just PCars btw) - apologies if these have all been said a thousand times before, but I wanted to write these down as I experienced most of them in the last 24 hours; Some of its slightly tongue in cheek, and it’s a long read, but hey, it’s Friday, what else have you got to do?!

1) The music abuser.

You've all come across this person. They join the room, and then sit with their mike open so you can hear their taste in music (or rather a tinny, whinny version of it). This is not an issue in itself as you can simply mute them or even better vote to kick them out. However, two issues - kicking them out isn't permanent and they can just re-join, and secondly, if you are mid-way through a flying lap, you sometimes have to put up with it until you've finished. Don't do it kids.

2) The punter.

Everyone swears they don't do this, but lack of spatial awareness, the laws of physics and a general lack of respect means that in most races the first corner becomes more like a game of dodgeball than a motorsport event, which means someone must be doing it. Usually happens as the back of the field (or even those in the midfield) fail to compensate for the fact that there are another 10+ cars trying to brake for the corner as well and try to brake at the same point as they would on a flying quali lap where the minimum speed is scrubbed off. If there are 5 cars in front of you all braking, you need to brake 3 or 4 meters earlier than you would on a flier to avoid the collision. Invariably its the victim that gets penalised in this as well, with either a penalty for cutting a corner as they get punted across the grass, or they get spun round and then have to wait until the pack clears to spin it round and continue (I personally would ban the reset button unless the car is truly stuck, using it as a quick 'get out of jail' card means that its easy for someone to crash and be back up and running immediately, which isn't in the spirit of racing in my view).

3) The impolite.

One of the really enjoyable aspects of online racing is when you end up battling with someone of similar speed over a number of laps, even if you are at the back of the field. The sense of competitiveness you can get from this and tactical element is really what draw me personally to racing. However, whilst you get these little skirmishes in most races, occasionally they get let down by what I consider to be impolite racing.

Let me explain - you've caught up with someone who maybe had a small off or received a penalty, and you are now on his bumper. Rather than diving up the inside at the first opportunity, you play the long game. You sit behind him, at a reasonably safe distance and check his lines through the corners, spot his braking points, work out where he is quick and where he is slow. Over the next couple of laps, you learn his style and work out where you are going to make the pass. You then set it up, maybe holding back on the last couple of corners where he is slow knowing that a good run out will see you make the pass on the long straight down into turn one. As you power through that last corner, car twitching slightly under acceleration as you catapult down the straight, you are gaining on him and close the gap right down, the slip stream pulling you along.

He goes defensive and you move right, taking the long way round but with enough closing speed to easily clear him before hitting the brakes and taking the corner. Wow, what a rush, a move that took maybe 4 laps to plan and execute and you carried it out brilliantly. Then at the second corner you are simply pushed wide as he comes back at you, deliberately using you as a brake and making sure that you lose the place and time. And so it starts all over again. I'm sorry but if you've battled someone for any period of time and they've shown you respect on the track, that respect should be returned. Even if you accidently tap someone off line and gain a place, that place should be given back at the first opportunity, even if it means letting others pass you as well. If you are in front and the car behind has cleanly passed you, crashing into them as a form of revenge isn't exactly in the spirit in which the game should be played.

To me, it’s not about winning, it’s about the battles, and if these are carried out and executed well, I get more satisfaction out of coming 8th knowing I earned it than coming 3rd through sheer force.

4) The over-qualified.

So you have joined a GT3 event that is running a long format race - maybe a practice session and warmup, as well as an hour long qualifying session before the main 36 lap race takes place. You bring your A-game to the table, your weapon of choice has been tuned to within an inch of its life, you've done a couple of hundred laps (if not more) on this track in this car and you know it as well as you possibly can.
You run through the practice session with the fuel load you'll do the first race stint with, and you are happy the car (and you) are on form and ready for this. In fact, more ready than you've ever been. So the qualifying session starts, the room is full and most of you are out on track. Taking this seriously, you've fuelled the car with just enough gas to give you the outlap and two solid flying laps before you'll need to pit again.
You've managed to find a gap in the stream of traffic, everyone seems to be keeping it clean and rather than trying to use the session as a mock race, are backing off and giving each other room. Great, its like a proper, real race. You manage to get a time on the board from your first flying lap that’s a couple of seconds off the pace. Not a problem, plenty of time left. And, besides, you were taking it easy, making sure to keep it between the lines and shiny side up. Its more of a marker, a banker, one to get your name on the board, so to speak. Next flying lap and you've caught up with someone. They've seen you though and kept off the racing line, letting you through without having to lift. This laps a bit quicker, but not your best.

Into the pits. Time to take stock and double check your settings (you're sure that if you can just tighten up that front end bite, you can take turn 3 a little bit quicker which will help on the straight down to turn 4). Small adjustment made and you go back out, put in another couple of flying laps, improving your time and putting you into the top 5.
So you go out again, and again, and again. Each time you are pulling tenths off your best, until, with 6 minutes to go in the session, you retire to the pits to check the leader board. Less than 7 tenths separate the top 6 places, and everyone has run apart from one guy at the end, who is just going out now to set a time.

Four minutes later, that guy pops the car onto pole, and does so by a clear 6 second margin. 6 seconds. On one flying lap. This guy is the one that will be lapping the field by the end of the race.

5) The lagster.

No one wants to be that guy. And if you are in a room where there isn't one, maybe you're that guy. You know the score, where the car in front of you decides to do the funky chicken and teleport from the track to the barriers and then back to the track in one fluid blink of the eye. No one else seems to do it, but this guy seems to be a one man wrecking crew, able to clear the field with impunity. Got a bad connection?

Downloading a 3gb movie and an update to Drakes Deception at the same time? Maybe its time to reboot the router and kill the other activities for a while...

6) The bad starter.

You may think that this one is aimed at the guy in front of you. You know, the guy who forgets to stick it in first and press the loud pedal as soon as the lights go green. But its not, its aimed at the guy behind, who is lightning quick in his reaction to the lights turning green, but doesn't have the reaction speed to realise the guy in front is a little slower and that maybe going around him would be a better option the pile driving through him. Ok, you can get caught out by the guy who joined the session 40 minutes ago but has now gone for his tea and therefore doesn't move at all when the lights change, but if the car in front is moving, but slowly, try not to punt him off, because the likely consequence of doing it is that he gets pushed sideways, into the path of the guy three cars back who made an even better start than you, and is trying to make a clean pass down the outside.

7) The bad sport.

This guy. Do we love him? No.

Put simply, this is the guy whose one ambition in life is to make sure that he is a mobile chicane for the rest of the pack. He read the rules once about how you can make one move to defend your position, but then instantly consigned it to that small dark place in his brain reserved for machine operating instructions, the dates of family member’s birthdays, and how to use indicators in a BMW.

You might say that its simply aggressive defence of a hard won position on the track, but to everyone else it’s called weaving, and it’s not allowed. It’s a shame games cannot detect that someone is driving in a manner that would get the stewards frothing at the mouth. If you are slower than the guy behind, and you've moved to the inside to defend, stay on the inside. If you are half way down the straight and the guy behind is catching you quickly, weaving from side to side to block will only end in tears. Although probably for the guy trying to get past and not the weaver.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional types suggested by other in this thread;

8) Douchebag snake in the grass (by magical-one)

You know this guy. He's still living at Mom's house and his best friend showed up with a bag of weed and nothing to do. He has no talent and hates the game because he's so terrible at it. So instead he sits on the edge of the straightaway and waits for cars to come by just to take them out and ruin their race while he and his stoned buddy laugh at how awesome it is finally accomplish a goal. Bravo loser, bravo.

9) The Reckless Rejoiner (by Ryzza5)

This is the guy who's had an off, perhaps not his own fault. But he's on a mission to catch back up to his former position, so good luck if you get in his way as he jumps back onto the track slowly, or spinning out in front of you without taking a moment to see who's coming and avoid them.

10) The inconsistent anomaly (by Invincible)

This guy is sometimes related to “the over-qualified”. Insanely quick for a single lap, concentrated and consistent as a squirrel. Usually starts in the first row, just to fall back to lower midfield during the race due to sloppy driving.

He gets off track pretty often and you seem to be clearly faster than him. But just as you try to overtake him, he manages to pull himself together and demolishes you by a few seconds each lap until he has a nice pillow. Then he's back to sloppy again.

11) The Quitter (By FS7)

Quits after a crash or if he thinks he's not going to win the race. Has no sense of sportsmanship whatsoever.

12) The Side-swiper (By FS7)

You exit the corner before the main straight right on his tail, slipstream perfectly, pull to the right to pass him, as soon as you're next to him he pulls to the left then violently throws his car to right sending your car flying off track.

13) The Dodger (By FS7)

Sees the side-swiper's move and brakes at the right time, causing the side-swiper to crash into the wall and retire.

14) The Brake-checker (By FS7)

Suddenly hits his brakes every time somebody gets close behind him, even if it's on the middle of a long straight, player behind always gets the penalty.

15) The Accuser (By FS7)

He thinks he's the best racing driver ever and anybody that posts faster laps than him in qualifying or overtakes him during the race is accused of being a cheater.

If he's the host he accused people of being cheaters and kicks them out.

16) The Muncher (By simracer29)

The guy who likes to eat while driving. With his mike open. So you can delight in hearing every mouthful being chewed and swallowed. Similar to the drinker, who loves to sip his drink with as much noise as possible.

17) The Farter (By Roger Prynne)

The guy with wind problems. Everybody finds it funny for a while and can cause crashes due to laughing so much, but then it quickly becomes stale

18) The Pervert (By lancashirelad)

Don’t be this guy. You know the one, likes to have something to keep himself amused between races so pops an adult movie on to watch in the background. Only he leaves the sound on, and his mike open. If you’re really unlucky, you’ll hear the Kleenex being pulled out of the box as well. Eugh.

19) The Power Saver (By OppaErich)

Desperate to see the session through to the end, but has pulled a long stint at work, this guy falls asleep at the wheel. Literally. Distracting snoring at best, pile up on track at worst. If you’re that tired, get to bed.

20) Last Place Allergy

To round this out to 20 (for now), how about this guy. Or should really be guys. These are the people who don’t want to come last.

Here is the usual symptom. As you work your way up through the field from the back (having suffered at the hands of “The Punter”, “The Bad Starter” and “The Lagster”), you realise you are still last even though you’ve passed 6 people.

And hang on, there were 16 in the race at the start, why are there only 10 now?

It seems that there can be a serious allergic reaction to being in last place, and rather than working through the pack to make up places, its better to quit that suffer the embarrassment of being at the back and dead last.

This means that as you make up places, and put in the effort, you may still be last at the end of the race even with passing most of the field at some point during the race. [/COLOR]

21) The cutter

Your worst nightmare, loves to bypass all the chicanes by driving full pelt through the chicanes, happy to take the penalty but be in front of you. Usually at Monza. Arse and hole are two words that fit this person well.

22) The Kicker

That point where you are in 4th place of a 10 lapper, having fought back from the back of the grid, with 2 laps to go, and the host starts kicking people, starting with the guy in first. then second, then third, then you. If you are going to host a race, at least be nice about it. The word for this person cannot be said here, but believe me, it begins with a C.

23) The Party Pooper (By Diamond_Eyes)

A new host who inherits control of a great run of MP sessions, then enforces:

an unusual choice of single make car
picks stupid weather scenarios which you don't realise until session starts

and generally kills the vibe....

24) The Lapped

Tonight's annoyance - mixing it with the leading pack, 6 of us swapping places laps after lap, when we come across the 12th and last placed gent, about to be lapped after a minor off. Rather than allowing the pack through he decides to 'compete' with us. Now, I'm not one to criticise (*ahem*), but if you are about to be lapped, get out of the way. As it was, he managed to lose it into a chicane and took me out, ruining what had been an enjoyable race to that point. So - if you are being lapped, get out of the way, park up at the side of the road, whatever it takes. Be more of the Jenson Button type, not the Gutiérrez type please.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what have I missed, or have I got it all wrong?

Posting this in the PS4 forum as its what I play on, if it needs moving then please do so.

Sankyo
22-07-2016, 09:28
I feared the worst when reading the title, but a great and humorous write-up :)

magical-one
22-07-2016, 11:45
What an amazing first post. Thanks for the amusing read, it's spot on. I'd like to add one more about the guy I just don't get:

8) Douchebag snake in the grass.

You know this guy. He's still living at Mom's house and his best friend showed up with a bag of weed and nothing to do. He has no talent and hates the game because he's so terrible at it. So instead he sits on the edge of the straightaway and waits for cars to come by just to take them out and ruin their race while he and his stoned buddy laugh at how awesome it is finally accomplish a goal. Bravo loser, bravo.

Ryzza5
22-07-2016, 14:30
The Reckless Rejoiner
This is the guy who's had an off, perhaps not his own fault. But he's on a mission to catch back up to his former position, so good luck if you get in his way as he jumps back onto the track slowly, or spinning out in front of you without taking a moment to see who's coming and avoid them.

Invincible
22-07-2016, 15:05
The inconsistent anomaly

Sometimes related with the over-qualified. Insanely quick for a single lap, as concentrated and consistent as a squirrel. Usually starts in the first row, just to fall back to lower midfield during the race due to sloppy driving.
He gets off track pretty often and you seem to be clearly faster than him. But just as you try to overtake him, he manages to pull himself together and demolishes you by a few seconds each lap until he has a nice pillow. Then he's back to sloppy again.

FS7
22-07-2016, 17:02
Quitter - quits after a crash or if he thinks he's not going to win the race. Has no sense of sportsmanship whatsoever.

Side-swiper - you exit the corner before the main straight right on his tail, slipstream perfectly, pull to the right to pass him, as soon as you're next to him he pulls to the left then violently throws his car to right sending your car flying off track.
Dodger - sees the side-swiper's move and brakes at the right time, causing the side-swiper to crash into the wall and retire.

Brake-checker - suddenly hits his brakes every time somebody gets close behind him, even if it's on the middle of a long straight, player behind always gets the penalty.

Accuser - he thinks he's the best racing driver ever and anybody that posts faster laps than him in qualifying or overtakes him during the race is accused of being a cheater. If he's the host he accused people of being cheaters and kicks them out.

Simracer29
22-07-2016, 19:07
Don't forget the guy on mic eating his dinner!!

Roger Prynne
22-07-2016, 19:38
The Farter

Guys with wind problems.... everybody finds it funny for a while and everyone in the race crashes due to laughing so much, but then it quickly becomes stale :mad-new:

FS7
22-07-2016, 20:02
Pervert - he "forgets" his mic next to his computer's speakers which just happen to be running an adult movie. All the moaning & dirty talk can be very distracting.

lancashirelad
22-07-2016, 21:06
I'm still laughing at the guy going for his tea comment. Nice post.

Stephen1300
23-07-2016, 01:56
Well said, can I use your post in another forum ?

OppaErich
23-07-2016, 11:08
The guy in power saving mode
Falls asleep and snores. More funny than annoying unless the game requires anyone to confirm readiness.

ClippingTheApex
23-07-2016, 12:48
I can't believe I missed some of these in my initial post - some great additions there.

I've updated the original post with the additional types for reference!

Cheers
Dave

ClippingTheApex
23-07-2016, 12:48
Well said, can I use your post in another forum ?

Sure, no problem.

RigsXF73
23-07-2016, 16:22
Sure, no problem.

Great thread, and had me chuckling at a few of the driver types.

Reminiscent of types of men at the public urinals - eg;

Normal: Pulls up, pulls out knob, has a pee, shakes off the drops, puts it away, washes hands and leaves with no fanfare.

Strong type: Pulls up, pulls out knob, has his pee - bangs his knob on side of urinal to dry off.

Overly friendly: Has to stand right next to you, even though there are 10 other empty urinals near by!

Absent minded Professor: Pulls up, opens waistcaot and pulls out tie, pi55es himself.

ClippingTheApex
24-07-2016, 16:34
21) The cutter

Your worst nightmare, loves to bypass all the chicanes by driving full pelt through the chicanes, happy to take the penalty but be in front of you. Usually at Monza. Arse and hole are two words that fit this person well.

ClippingTheApex
24-07-2016, 17:13
22) The Kicker

That point where you are in 4th place of a 10 lapper, having fought back from the back of the grid, with 2 laps to go, and the host starts kicking people, starting with the guy in first. then second, then third, then you. If you are going to host a race, at least be nice about it. The word for this person cannot be said here, but believe me, it begins with a C.

RigsXF73
25-07-2016, 17:12
22) The Kicker

Ends in Aunt?;):p

ClippingTheApex
26-07-2016, 06:37
Ends in Aunt?;):p

I was thinking Sock, but Aunt works just as well :barbershop_quartet_

Diamond_Eyes
26-07-2016, 12:03
23) The Party Pooper

A new host who inherits control of a great run of MP sessions, then enforces:

an unusual choice of single make car

picks stupid weather scenarios which you don't realise until session starts

and generally kills the vibe....

Pisshead30
28-07-2016, 11:48
found this thread quite witty lol

ClippingTheApex
28-07-2016, 20:28
24) The Lapped

Tonight's annoyance - mixing it with the leading pack, 6 of us swapping places laps after lap, when we come across the 12th and last placed gent, about to be lapped after a minor off. Rather than allowing the pack through he decides to 'compete' with us. Now, I'm not one to criticise (*ahem*), but if you are about to be lapped, get out of the way. As it was, he managed to lose it into a chicane and took me out, ruining what had been an enjoyable race to that point. So - if you are being lapped, get out of the way, park up at the side of the road, whatever it takes. Be more of the Jenson Button type, not the Gutiérrez type please.

FS7
28-07-2016, 20:56
24) The Lapped

The Lapped aka BMOW.

racesafegrandad
29-07-2016, 15:30
And I thought it was just me that had all the idiots to deal with almost every race?
Great post! :)

hkraft300
02-08-2016, 16:50
Ok, I have a confession.
I have, on some instances, been guilty of "over-qualified". I couldn't resist cherry picking the win.

I hate the quitters too. Sometimes I've chased up a guy for a podium spot, but wasn't fast enough to get past. Kept the pressure on til they buckled then quit.
They'd have still finished 2/3/4. Bewildering.

GUTTER-BOY
07-08-2016, 02:31
All of the reasons listed above are funny, true, and sad all at the same time! The reason leagues are created.

Infamous-stats
11-08-2016, 06:15
Omg! Found this post hilarious!
Awesome!