PDA

View Full Version : Project Cars, A Playstation 4 - do we have a choice of VR headsets?

RigsXF73
26-07-2016, 21:21
So I've taken up Project Cars again on the Playstation 4, and thoroughly enjoying using the Thrustmaster T500RS wheel and pedals, along with TH8A shifter.

Seems I'm just in time for VR to make it's public debut too.

SO after a bit of research, it appears that Oculus Rift is the VR set to go for - slightly more expensive, but with better resolution and graphics, than Sony's own VR head-set - sad but true. I'm willing to pay the asking price.

(missus will no doubt go nuts though!)

My question is this - can the Oculus Rift VR set be used with Sony's PLaystation 4? I can't find any info from the net, and if both use USB's and HDMI connections, then surely there should be no issues.

If not, more that willing to ditch the PS4 altogether (Destiny really isn't that good), and fire up the PC again to experience P-Cars.

BigDad
27-07-2016, 00:09
I've just purchased my first PC gaming rig and ditched my ps4 as $ony limit to much of what the user can do.
If you already have a PC that is VR ready just go for the Rift. Even if it's not quite VR ready, a GTX1060 far exceed the Oculus recommend spec, (that's the card I got) and is really quite cheap.
I can't see $ony allowing any other VR headsets to work on the PS4 as they seem to be trying to get only officially supported wheels to work and scraping Fanatec.

Ryzza5
27-07-2016, 02:07
No reason to believe/expect that the PS4 will support the Rift. There's slightly more chance a future Xbox console will work with a Rift looking at the existing partnership between the two companies and the fact that Xbox/MS have not publicly announced their own VR headset.

KillerFox1978
28-07-2016, 17:20
Oculus Rift VR will not be available to use on the PS4 as they have Playstation VR.
i looked in to this and thought about the pc route but upgrading my pc which really would be a new pc and the vr headset would mean spending around 2000 to do so, so this is a very expensive way for VR.
if i was going to do this i wouldn't bother with the Oculus Rift VR at all and would go for the HTC which is by far the best system but you are adding more money to the 2000 price.

So i will be buying the Sony Version til i have the founds to buy the HTC and a new pc.

RigsXF73
30-07-2016, 11:56
Looks like Sony could well be supporting Oculus Rift, if this link is anything to go by.

Good news?

http://www.wired.com/2015/05/oculus-rift-ps4-xbox/

BigDad
30-07-2016, 14:28
Wow ,
Still Can't see it happening , i hope for the other way around -PSVR on PC .

KillerFox1978
30-07-2016, 16:37
@RigsXF73

that is a good read but i wouldn't see this happening anytime soon within the first year of the release of PSVR.

@BigDad

I did read that the PSVR will be able to connect to a pc but wasn't planned. i would like this to happen too!

RigsXF73
30-07-2016, 23:55
Wow ,
Still Can't see it happening , i hope for the other way around -PSVR on PC .

Why? PSVR is half the resolution of O.R.

Jweaver
03-08-2016, 13:49
Why? PSVR is half the resolution of O.R.

1/2 Resolution :) Why do people keep saying that?.. The spec is clear for all systems and its nowhere near 50%

OR and Vive : 2160x1200 (1080x1200 per eye) so thats 1.3M pixels per eye.
PSVR: 1920x1080 (960x1080 per eye) 1.0M pixels per eye

So the difference is less than 30% and when you take into the pixel density of Sonys screen, word is that the apparent resolution isn't quite a different as the figures suggest.

RigsXF73
17-09-2016, 09:11
1/2 Resolution :) Why do people keep saying that?.. The spec is clear for all systems and its nowhere near 50%

OR and Vive : 2160x1200 (1080x1200 per eye) so thats 1.3M pixels per eye.
PSVR: 1920x1080 (960x1080 per eye) 1.0M pixels per eye

So the difference is less than 30% and when you take into the pixel density of Sonys screen, word is that the apparent resolution isn't quite a different as the figures suggest.

Sorry not replied earlier. I work offshore - and have been away a number of weeks.

The reason I said PSVR was half the res, is because that is exactly what was being advertised at the time.

There seems to have been a lot of conjecture, and still there are reviews that are not being 100% clear. OR has "2160x1200 over two screens". A misleading quote I just read this morning - letting some believe the OR res is 2160x1200 on each of the two screens - not split down the middle to give 1080x1200.

SO - thanks for the heads-up - I'm now back looking at PSVR.

Haiden
17-09-2016, 15:34
Looks like Sony could well be supporting Oculus Rift, if this link is anything to go by.

Good news?

http://www.wired.com/2015/05/oculus-rift-ps4-xbox/

Given the isolating, silo-like mentality, and almost hostile behavior we've from Sony regarding hardware compatibility this year, I'd be very surprised if they support a device that directly competes with their own. Even more unlikely, if their own VR sales are below expectations. That article was written before Sony showed it's true colors. They've just demonstrated that they don't care about giving customer's other options when it comes to hardware, and are even wiling to take existing options away. I wouldn't put much faith in them.