PDA

View Full Version : Which version to run vr

Davidhatton
28-07-2016, 11:43
Im in the proccess of building a vr ready pc

Do i need a steam account and pcars download from steam to run the vr version of the sim or will i be able to run it from a goty edition dvd version of pcars

Bealdor
28-07-2016, 11:53
The DVD version also uses Steam.
The only non-Steam version is the one from Oculus Home. But you can only use it with an OR and not with a HTC Vive for example AND you can't play MP with Steam users. That's why I'd recommend the Steam version.

John Hargreaves
28-07-2016, 15:29
I think as well, unless this has been changed recently, that all the Oculus software has to be installed on the same drive, whereas with steam you can install over any number of drives. At first it had to go on C: drive as well, which was a bit tricky for those with a small SSD C: drive, but I think they changed that pretty quickly.
Might be wrong, but worth checking before you pay for anything.

There are plenty of cool things to try, but I would definitely recommend flight sims in VR such as FSX+Flyinside, DCS World and Warthunder, plus a basic HOTAS controller to get you started. Exceptionally good fun.

mr_belowski
29-07-2016, 11:36
Warthunder is completely ace in VR, and free. The open-cockpit starter planes like the American blue / yellow one (Peashooter?) are just brilliant, makes you feel just like Biggles :D

MaximusN
29-07-2016, 13:04
Warthunder is completely ace in VR, and free. The open-cockpit starter planes like the American blue / yellow one (Peashooter?) are just brilliant, makes you feel just like Biggles :D

Thanks for the tip, I will be trying that on my Razer OSVR HDK this weekend! Which also works well with Project Cars in SteamVR btw.

TrevorAustin
29-07-2016, 14:34
I think as well, unless this has been changed recently, that all the Oculus software has to be installed on the same drive, whereas with steam you can install over any number of drives. At first it had to go on C: drive as well, which was a bit tricky for those with a small SSD C: drive, but I think they changed that pretty quickly.
Might be wrong, but worth checking before you pay for anything.

There are plenty of cool things to try, but I would definitely recommend flight sims in VR such as FSX+Flyinside, DCS World and Warthunder, plus a basic HOTAS controller to get you started. Exceptionally good fun.

That is now changed, you can install the software and any games to any drive at setup time:)

Davidhatton
29-07-2016, 14:40
Thanks john

I come from a fsx background before moving to a ps4 for project cars but miss my flying hence a move back to pc based sims y

John Hargreaves
30-07-2016, 08:49
That is now changed, you can install the software and any games to any drive at setup time:)

Cheers Trevor, that's good to know as the SSD drive I had all my Oculus stuff on has just gone pop (under warranty fortunately) and I am currently riftless. I wasn't sure whether to wait for the replacement, but if I can spread out the game installs across my other SSDs that will help.

John Hargreaves
30-07-2016, 15:59
Just to clarify this one, I'm reinstalling the Oculus software, and it allows you to choose a drive for the Oculus software and all the VR apps from the Oculus store at the time of first setup, but it looks like you are then stuck with that choice for good. With Steam, if you get close to full on one drive, you can choose another and spread your Steam library across multiple drives, which has advantages.

MaximusN
30-07-2016, 21:40
You can use symbolic links to have a folder point to a folder on another drive. I use a program called Steammover(automates the moving of data and creating the links)to unload my ssd, bit I don't know if it works for non steam

Ramjet
07-08-2016, 13:23
Totally off topic I know, but can anyone share any tips to get Warthunder playable in VR - or maybe links to easy to follow tutorials ? I have had it running but it just seems impossible to play as I do not have a Hotas only the xbone pad and it is so difficult to fly as I cannot seem to get all the controls working without constantly taking off the headset to access the keyboard.