PDA

View Full Version : Bug or Feature? - Tire starts to bounce when totaly worn

Shadowoff
02-08-2016, 06:15
Hey,
Im doing a 24h Spa race in the Bentley currently and recognized that at the end of the stint my FFB starts to shake when I drive in a straight line. Also on the telemetry the force of the tire which is most worn goes totally crazy and the yellow line on the left goes crazy aswell. I think it has to do with the tire wear because it only happens when the tires are fully worn. I also checked the tire pressures but there isnt a difference to the pressures when the tire was fresh. Is it a bug or a feature?

The second bug I found is that the replay isnt working correctly after some time. I cant change the driver I want to watch, so I can just watch myself...

eiwhatsup
02-08-2016, 08:06
The same happens in Formula B with the only tyres you can use if you wanna go fast, the medium ones, but with the exception they don't need to be worn to bounce like crazy in some certains sections. They do this always

This doesn't happen with the horribly unfinished dev work called "soft" tyres (FB too), so theres definitely some tyre compound bugs around that need fixing. In Formula B is particularly souring because: a) You can't force your car with the "Soft" compund"; b) you have this "bouncing" bug with the "medium" compound in certain sections of all tracks.

satco1066
02-08-2016, 09:01
This is no bug. It's a feature. When your compounds are under 50% you should change youre tires.
If you don't like it, set tire wear to no or slow.
If it happens to fast, check your settings. Maybe you have tire wear 7. Then you can go about 3 to 5 laps with one set.

Replay bug is known since release. Unfortunately it has not been and will not be fixed anymore.

morpwr
02-08-2016, 10:42
Hey,
Im doing a 24h Spa race in the Bentley currently and recognized that at the end of the stint my FFB starts to shake when I drive in a straight line. Also on the telemetry the force of the tire which is most worn goes totally crazy and the yellow line on the left goes crazy aswell. I think it has to do with the tire wear because it only happens when the tires are fully worn. I also checked the tire pressures but there isnt a difference to the pressures when the tire was fresh. Is it a bug or a feature?

The second bug I found is that the replay isnt working correctly after some time. I cant change the driver I want to watch, so I can just watch myself...

If you lock up the brakes you can flat spot the tires and you will feel it. I actually hit a curb the other night and blew a tire.

eiwhatsup
02-08-2016, 13:02
This is no bug. It's a feature. When your compounds are under 50% you should change youre tires.
If you don't like it, set tire wear to no or slow.
If it happens to fast, check your settings. Maybe you have tire wear 7. Then you can go about 3 to 5 laps with one set.
ok then why It doesn't happen with soft tyres and/or with medium tyres+wear off?.

morpwr
02-08-2016, 13:23
ok then why It doesn't happen with soft tyres and/or with medium tyres+wear off?.

Try this turn the brakes down so you cant lock up the brakes and see if it still happens. I wouldn't expect flat spotting a tire to be tied to wear.

eiwhatsup
02-08-2016, 14:31
Try this turn the brakes down so you cant lock up the brakes and see if it still happens. I wouldn't expect flat spotting a tire to be tied to wear.I always go easy with brake strength (79-81%). It happens with some tyre compunds only, being the case of the medium ones in FB.

OP is right imo. This is something i've been observing for a while. It could be a bug.

I'll give you a good example. Go FB medium tyres (the ones you need to be really fast in this category, because the "softs" is just some devs unfinished business), select bathrust circuit, and take last corner to the left in the twichy section (before the long straight to end part of the track begins). Bumpy uh?. Try with the unfinished soft compund now. Doesn't happen right?

Silraed
02-08-2016, 15:52
The soft and medium tyres for the Formula B were developed seperately if I recall correctly, both with different approaches and they behave differently but were both kept. This is why they feel different.

Although I have spent a large amount of time in the Formula B I have never experienced this bumpy or "bouncy" behaviour outside of flatspotting worn tyres where it would be expected. This is one area I think the Formula B medium tyre excels with the way it reacts to wear and kind of wish some of the other tyres acted similarly, but then they are prone to oscillation under braking and heavy load with some FFB settings which isn't so great.

Schnizz58
03-08-2016, 15:22
Here's a video of the problem in Formula B w/ mediums.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ak-xgNuNFMSWb5eyPqIy0Q7wyVY

morpwr
03-08-2016, 19:43
I always go easy with brake strength (79-81%). It happens with some tyre compunds only, being the case of the medium ones in FB.

OP is right imo. This is something i've been observing for a while. It could be a bug.

I'll give you a good example. Go FB medium tyres (the ones you need to be really fast in this category, because the "softs" is just some devs unfinished business), select bathrust circuit, and take last corner to the left in the twichy section (before the long straight to end part of the track begins). Bumpy uh?. Try with the unfinished soft compund now. Doesn't happen right?

How many laps do you need to run for this to show up? I tried the softs and mediums with the fb on Bathurst and default settings for the car and didn't notice anything with either tire. I use jacks classic settings for the ffb. Honestly got nothing and I even tried locking the brakes a few times to see if I could flat spot them really easy and couldn't.

morpwr
03-08-2016, 19:46
Here's a video of the problem in Formula B w/ mediums.
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=96C4148DDB80B14F&id=96C4148DDB80B14F%21111&parId=96C4148DDB80B14F%21108&o=OneUp

link didn't work. I like the signature too. I was following that post for a bit.

Schnizz58
03-08-2016, 19:49
link didn't work.
Bummer....maybe you have to have a OneDrive account to see it.

Edit -> Try this one: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ak-xgNuNFMSWb5eyPqIy0Q7wyVY

morpwr
03-08-2016, 19:56

That one worked. I definitely didn't see or feel any of that in the video.

morpwr
03-08-2016, 19:59

I wonder if this is one of the bugs that like many show up from all the tweaking and something not getting saved right. Are you guys using jacks car ffb settings or youre own?

Schnizz58
03-08-2016, 20:00
That one worked. I definitely didn't see or feel any of that in the video.

As Silraed mentioned, it probably has to do with the FFB settings. But that's the only car/tire combination I've found that behaves that way. I only discovered it because my pit crew installed the wrong tires on a pit stop.

Schnizz58
03-08-2016, 20:07
I wonder if this is one of the bugs that like many show up from all the tweaking and something not getting saved right. Are you guys using jacks car ffb settings or youre own?
I'm using Jacks 66% SoP Lateral settings.

morpwr
03-08-2016, 20:13
As Silraed mentioned, it probably has to do with the FFB settings. But that's the only car/tire combination I've found that behaves that way. I only discovered it because my pit crew installed the wrong tires on a pit stop.

That was why I asked if you both used jacks or your own to see if there was something common. It almost looks like in the beginning when mz and fy where off in relation to each other and you got that grinding. Arm angle possibly?

I use classic. I wonder if that's why I don't have the issue. Worth a shot and easy enough to try. Did you turn off the smoothing or turn it down? I know a lot of guys turned it off because jack said he didn't test every car so some might not need it but some do.

Schnizz58
03-08-2016, 20:23
That was why I asked if you both used jacks or your own to see if there was something common. It almost looks like in the beginning when mz and fy where off in relation to each other and you got that grinding. Arm angle possibly?

I use classic. I wonder if that's why I don't have the issue. Worth a shot and easy enough to try. Did you turn off the smoothing or turn it down? I know a lot of guys turned it off because jack said he didn't test every car so some might not need it but some do.
That happened several iterations ago of the tweaker files. So maybe the Mz smoothing Jack added will help resolve that. I haven't tried it lately.

I have the grinding problem every once in a while too: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ak-xgNuNFMSWbdq8B-6aELwPyc4

Silraed
03-08-2016, 20:30
If you lower your deadzone removal range it should reduce the issue from memory, but this isn't a great option if you jump around cars a lot since it is just this one tyre model that has this reaction.

morpwr
03-08-2016, 20:32
That happened several iterations ago of the tweaker files. So maybe the Mz smoothing Jack added will help resolve that. I haven't tried it lately.

I have the grinding problem every once in a while too: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ak-xgNuNFMSWbdq8B-6aELwPyc4

I know he did say some needed it but he wasnt going to check every car which I understand. I started turning them off but found some needed mz smoothing some needed fy and some needed both so just left it on in most cases as the difference wasn't huge.