PDA

View Full Version : Centre spring

ToPTeL
23-08-2016, 16:51
Does anyone have a good setting for the centre spring? I'm using A T300 RS.
Thanks...

Sankyo
24-08-2016, 09:28
I'm wondering what exactly you mean? In what way are you seeing/using/feeling center spring in the game?

konnos
24-08-2016, 09:40
He's on PC as it seems, you posted this in the PS4 section.

Sankyo
24-08-2016, 11:10
He probably never set the Platform info in his profile properly :)

bradleyland
24-08-2016, 20:26
I turn mine all the way down. I've never driven a car with a centering spring, so I don't want it in my simulation.

ToPTeL
28-08-2016, 09:52
I've updated my profile, I am using a PS4. I mean the way the wheel auto centres itself. When I take a corner and slightly let go of the wheel it violently snaps back to the centre. I've seen other threads on this same discussion but there has never really been a solution. So I was just wondering if anyone has found one....

ToPTeL
28-08-2016, 09:54
bradleyland you say you turn yours all the way down....what do you turn down?

John Hargreaves
28-08-2016, 14:19
I've updated my profile, I am using a PS4. I mean the way the wheel auto centres itself. When I take a corner and slightly let go of the wheel it violently snaps back to the centre. I've seen other threads on this same discussion but there has never really been a solution. So I was just wondering if anyone has found one....

Isn't that just the caster effect? I think there used to be a centre spring setting in the old Logitech windows driver, (obviously not in PS4)but I don't recall seeing that anywhere else, certainly not in pCars.

Haiden
29-08-2016, 13:29
Try lowering Mz. That's the centering force.

bradleyland
29-08-2016, 13:50
bradleyland you say you turn yours all the way down....what do you turn down?

There are two settings in the game:

Menu Spring - Affects your wheel centering strength while in the game menus (also when paused). I don't like my wheel snapping back to center when I bring up the options menu in-game, so I turned this down.

Low Speed Spring - This is an artificial centering spring that kicks in when you're driving slow. I turned this very far down, but not completely off. When you drive a normal car, there is some centering force while driving slowly, but not nearly as much as the default.

I don't remember if these are the exact names of the settings, but they're something like that. I'm not at my PS4 right now so I can't look, but you'll want to set them by feel anyway. Every wheel is slightly different. Fortunately, these are some of the easier options to tune.

bradleyland
29-08-2016, 13:52
Isn't that just the caster effect? I think there used to be a centre spring setting in the old Logitech windows driver, (obviously not in PS4)but I don't recall seeing that anywhere else, certainly not in pCars.

It was introduced in patch 2.5.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35178-Project-CARS-PC-only-Patch-2-5-Release-notes

Controls
* New Feature – Implemented the ability via menu sliders for the user to manually tweak the menu spring strength, stationary / low speed spring strength, and overall steering gain.

I haven't looked at it in a long time though, so it may have been removed. I honestly don't know either way. Hopefully it is still there!

bradleyland
29-08-2016, 13:54
Try lowering Mz. That's the centering force.

This is probably a good idea too. The low speed setting I suggested will only affect the automatic centering of the wheel at low speeds. If your wheel is snapping back too hard at all speeds, you need a general FFB adjustment.

RomKnight
29-08-2016, 13:56
Pretty sure center sprint is ONLY for snap the wheel back to center in game menus AND for when the car is not moving in the track because some prefer heavier steering (more realistic and it was the workaround found by SMS at the time.

Anything else OP is talking about self-aligning torque for sure.

But all the strength from Fy (lateral forces) on default are probably not helping hence the confusion. I'd lower Fy to start with and also make sure you're not clipping the FFB.

There's many threads on this (FFB) so make sure you read them.

John Hargreaves
29-08-2016, 14:11
It was introduced in patch 2.5.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35178-Project-CARS-PC-only-Patch-2-5-Release-notes

I haven't looked at it in a long time though, so it may have been removed. I honestly don't know either way. Hopefully it is still there!

Ah sorry, I wasn't thinking about the menu, I was just thinking about when driving.

bradleyland
29-08-2016, 14:34
Pretty sure center sprint is ONLY for snap the wheel back to center in game menus AND for when the car is not moving in the track because some prefer heavier steering (more realistic and it was the workaround found by SMS at the time.

Anything else OP is talking about self-aligning torque for sure.

But all the strength from Fy (lateral forces) on default are probably not helping hence the confusion. I'd lower Fy to start with and also make sure you're not clipping the FFB.

There's many threads on this (FFB) so make sure you read them.

There are actually two separate settings.

Menu spring is for menus.

Low speed spring affects the FFB really noticeably up to around 65 km/h. It starts to blend with the caster centering force at around 65 km/h and I can't really tell a difference in that setting after 90 mk/h. It caused me a lot of headaches in low speed (2nd gear) corners. It's very unintuitive to have the centering FFB ramp up as you slow down.

RomKnight
29-08-2016, 14:39
Been quite a while since I changed anything on pCARS and i'm on fanatec and my spring is set to 40 in the wheel (if not less atm) which means I barely have no spring forces anyway.

But if that's the case, surely you can simply disable that even in the drivers.

bradleyland
29-08-2016, 15:28
Been quite a while since I changed anything on pCARS and i'm on fanatec and my spring is set to 40 in the wheel (if not less atm) which means I barely have no spring forces anyway.

But if that's the case, surely you can simply disable that even in the drivers.

This is the PS4 forum. There are no drivers on PS4.

RomKnight
29-08-2016, 16:16
True. Damn... This keeps happening to me. But can't you disable that in game by putting the slide to 0?

Haiden
29-08-2016, 19:14
The in-game spring settings aren't the same as the @wheel Fanatec settings. Lowering your wheel Spring setting will result in a noticeable difference in the wheel when driving. Lowering it in-game, doesn't really seem to have an affect while driving.

The point about Fy is spot on, though. I didn't realize he was running that at default. Fy at 100 is just too much. That scale will overpower everything when set too high. And too high is usually lower than you think, because it's a very strong force. :)

John Hargreaves
29-08-2016, 19:55
True. Damn... This keeps happening to me.

That's because on this forum, unlike some forums, we can all read each other's posts, so PC players can help out console players, and vice versa. No one is excluded on the basis of what platform they play on. I've learned a lot about the game from the PS4 and XBOX players, and I've tried to help out where I can, as have many of the guys here. No harm in posting in the wrong place if you are trying to help your fellow enthusiasts :yes:

RomKnight
29-08-2016, 21:04
I know what you did there John :D

@Haiden

Fy IIRC near doubles the other forces so it can take quite a "hit". I usually start Fy at 80 and up Mz and/or Fz (mostly Mz really). Not much else needed as long as the FFB is not clipping for me really.