PDA

View Full Version : Is there a worse circuit-car combination than...

theclubber88
01-09-2016, 15:51
...Sonoma Raceway GP circuit and Ford MK IV?

I've been playing PCars for about one month and today I think I reached the most frustrating day on the game...

This circuit is pure madness with a car that cannot be driven peacefully and relaxed.

cluck
01-09-2016, 16:00
I've got a league race coming up that involves driving the Sauber C9, in thunderstorm conditions at Sakitto. If I remember, I'll update this thread on what I thought (probably about 2 laps into the race when I've binned it into a wall for the 80th time :D)

AbeWoz
01-09-2016, 16:22
Lotus 98T at Spa in heavy rain

Roger Prynne
01-09-2016, 16:34
I've got a league race coming up that involves driving the Sauber C9, in thunderstorm conditions at Sakitto. If I remember, I'll update this thread on what I thought (probably about 2 laps into the race when I've binned it into a wall for the 80th time :D)

That's going to be horrible (and probably funny), and who races in a thunderstorm :confused:

Great car, great track, but with thunderstorm not so great.

cluck
01-09-2016, 16:43
That's going to be horrible (and probably funny), and who races in a thunderstorm :confused:

Great car, great track, but with thunderstorm not so great.Funny, for all the wrong reasons, yep. The car is savage enough as it is, in default trim and with manual clutch, it's going to be gruelling. Fun, it won't be, funny, it will :D

theclubber88
01-09-2016, 16:44
Yeah, Sakkito is hard, too. I've chosen McLaren 12C and the first round was there. The first race was ok, while the second was like hell! Heavy rain and, obviously, mandatory pit stop that ruined all the race (I was in pole position).

bradleyland
01-09-2016, 17:31

Great car, great track, but with thunderstorm not so great.

Srsly :)

http://i.imgur.com/SM4dRf0.jpg

hkraft300
02-09-2016, 02:24
Some of you have posted horrible combinations.
I doubt It's quite so bad, but the R18 TDi at Bathurst is just not nice.

Androphonomania
02-09-2016, 09:48
Falcon V8 in Rain at Sonoma is fun. Had a race there once. Stayin on track and maintaining accepatable temperatures to ensure "grip" was so demanding.

Ryzza5
02-09-2016, 10:09
Just having a think (I've not tried this) but how about the Lykan Hypersport at Azure Circuit (Monaco)?

Shogun613
02-09-2016, 15:10
Just having a think (I've not tried this) but how about the Lykan Hypersport at Azure Circuit (Monaco)?
How about a stock car at Monaco?

theclubber88
02-09-2016, 17:11
To be honest, I did 2 more races (Laguna Seca and Road America) with Ford MK IV and they went better than the first try at Sonoma. Deffo better.
Meanwhile, I'm beginning to hate all UK circuits: the only one I can rule is Snetterton.
I gave up to Brands Hatch with the R8. Undriveable.

cluck
02-09-2016, 17:21
To be honest, I did 2 more races (Laguna Seca and Road America) with Ford MK IV and they went better than the first try at Sonoma. Deffo better.
Meanwhile, I'm beginning to hate all UK circuits: the only one I can rule is Snetterton.
I gave up to Brands Hatch with the R8. Undriveable.Wash your mouth out :p

Oulton Park, Donington and Brands Hatch are awesome driver's tracks (I don't think I could ever grow tired of the full Oulton circuit).

Of course, everybody loves different things, so please, don't take my post too seriously. I do love driving Oulton Park though, that part was serious, it's my favourite of all the UK tracks I've driven in real life.

theclubber88
02-09-2016, 17:52
Wash your mouth out :p

Oulton Park, Donington and Brands Hatch are awesome driver's tracks (I don't think I could ever grow tired of the full Oulton circuit).

Of course, everybody loves different things, so please, don't take my post too seriously. I do love driving Oulton Park though, that part was serious, it's my favourite of all the UK tracks I've driven in real life.

Yeah, I acknowledge that those circuits are good, but I struggle to drive certain cars.

My favorite are Bathurst and Spa.

Shogun613
02-09-2016, 18:22
Wash your mouth out :p

Oulton Park is rediculous fun. Brands Hatch GP can be tricky in the back section, but is an awesome drive. Snetterton is my current UK favorite, with Silverstone running a close second. Donnington is the one I struggle with because of the blind apexes at the hilltop...

The UK has some great circuits, one day I hope to visit a few of them.

cluck
02-09-2016, 18:29
Oulton Park is rediculous fun. Brands Hatch GP can be tricky in the back section, but is an awesome drive. Snetterton is my current UK favorite, with Silverstone running a close second. Donnington is the one I struggle with because of the blind apexes at the hilltop...

The UK has some great circuits, one day I hope to visit a few of them.I've driven Silverstone, Castle Combe, Snetterton, Cadwell Park, Oulton Park, Donington and Brands Hatch. Of those, I would never go back to Silverstone or Castle Combe as they are way too flat for my tastes and, in the case of Silverstone, so deathly boring in most road cars (mostly because it's so wide, with loads of run-off). As for Snetterton, I drove the old layout, before it was changed to the layout you see today (and is in Project CARS). I've gone off track at Brands Hatch, hit the grass banking at Cadwell Park and lost my brakes entirely at Donington :D.

Roger Prynne
02-09-2016, 18:34
I've driven Silverstone, Castle Combe, Snetterton, Cadwell Park, Oulton Park, Donington and Brands Hatch. Of those, I would never go back to Silverstone or Castle Combe as they are way too flat for my tastes and, in the case of Silverstone, so deathly boring in most road cars (mostly because it's so wide, with loads of run-off). As for Snetterton, I drove the old layout, before it was changed to the layout you see today (and is in Project CARS). I've gone off track at Brands Hatch, hit the grass banking at Cadwell Park and lost my brakes entirely at Donington :D.

Isn't that where you lost your marbles as well? :highly_amused:

theclubber88
02-09-2016, 19:48
I like the the second half of Oulton Park (the chicanes, in particular), but the first part is very hard because of the fast slope with some demanding curves (2-3-4).

cluck
02-09-2016, 20:03
Isn't that where you lost your marbles as well? :highly_amused:Nah, lost those years before I drove at Donington :D

I have never been so scared as I was, when that happened. 130mph down the back straight, approaching the chicane that leads onto the S/F straight. Hit the brakes at my usual point, nothing, foot went flat to the floor. I had just passed the 100m board :eek: . Pulled into the pits immediately and did the most stupid thing ever, touched the wheel. Still got the burn scar on my finger to this day :o. Popped the bonnet to see the brake fluid boiling. This was just 10 minutes into the first session of the afternoon, having survived an entire morning without incident. I massively upgraded the front brake setup after that - went from 4-pot, standard calipers and Ferrodo DS-2500 pads, on 310mm upgraded discs to 8-pot race calipers, on 330mm discs and Ferrodo DS-3000 pads. And some Nismo brake ducts (at huge expense for what amounted to little more than 2 pieces of plastic :rolleyes: ). Never had a problem again.

theclubber88
03-09-2016, 16:31
I just found my bÍte noire: Lotus Type 98T.
It's like hell. It's impossible to drive without swearing and sweating.
Every time you push the gas, it goes wherever it wants.

rosko
03-09-2016, 16:47
...Sonoma Raceway GP circuit and Ford MK IV?

I've been playing PCars for about one month and today I think I reached the most frustrating day on the game...

This circuit is pure madness with a car that cannot be driven peacefully and relaxed.

The circuit is madness but master both & its a lot fun, like a rally stage.

IrideGravity
03-09-2016, 18:25
I would say any slow car on any formula 1 circuit or fast track.
Sometimes stuff like the ginetta jrs aren't enough car to make big tracks fun.
Top speed of 120 just doesn't cut it at monza or spa.
It's just brake, turn in. Smash throttle and repeat over and over again.

Shogun613
04-09-2016, 03:52
I would say any slow car on any formula 1 circuit or fast track.
Sometimes stuff like the ginetta jrs aren't enough car to make big tracks fun.
Top speed of 120 just doesn't cut it at monza or spa.
It's just brake, turn in. Smash throttle and repeat over and over again.

Agreed. Like Cluck mentioned earlier, Silverstone is one of those circuits. I ran a GT3 race in the rain there that was only 10 laps, but I seriously couldn't wait for it to be over.

Fanapryde
04-09-2016, 06:10
and who races in a thunderstorm
Amongst other races, the Audi Ruapuna invitational (IIRC) "forced" me to.
Driving LMP's around Ruapuna at night, in Thunderstorm conditions and (at that time) completely mad AI is not part of my best memory's :livid:

GTboozer
15-09-2016, 21:15
I've just recently gotten back into racing since I finally got a good wheel. So my third race of the night we ran stock cars at Bathurst and really didn't enjoy it. I probably could have tuned it to do better, but like I said, just getting back to the game and need to get used to how the wheel feels before I start messing with things. I'm sure some of the tuning gurus here can make any of these terrible car track combinations much better.

Dnns84
03-10-2016, 22:24
Is there any track on which that Ford is drivable?

bradleyland
04-10-2016, 02:42
Is there any track on which that Ford is drivable?

The Fusion stock car? Man, that thing is a blast at Watkins Glen, Sonoma, Road America, Willow Springs... Quite a few places. It's just matter of knowing what to expect. Stock cars move around a lot.

hkraft300
04-10-2016, 06:28
The Fusion stock car? Man, that thing is a blast at Watkins Glen, Sonoma, Road America, Willow Springs... Quite a few places. It's just matter of knowing what to expect. Stock cars move around a lot.

I thought it was fun at Bathurst. Drove it a few times before the Falcon was released.

Back on topic: Indy at Sonoma GP. The car absolutely hates the bumps and crests over the hill. Just on tip toes with no confidence. Tried to tune it out as best I could but still terrible.

Dnns84
04-10-2016, 18:12

Nah, I was referring to the MK IV. The stock car isn't that bad.

cxMilk
05-10-2016, 07:17
Nah, I was referring to the MK IV. The stock car isn't that bad.
I found it to be a pretty enjoyable drive at Road America. I remember the invitational the OP is referring to and driving it around Sonoma made me want to smash my head against a wall. Learned how to drive the car, or at least manage the car thanks to Road America though it still took me a few attempts to understand how to get the thing around Sonoma.

As far as the original topic goes, any LMP1 at Monaco. I can't see a single friggin' apex to save my life.