PDA

View Full Version : Performance Increase?

indubious
01-09-2016, 19:26
Anyone else notice a huge performance boost this week? I know that there was an NVidia update I don't see anything on the pcars side... and HTC never tell you what or when they are changing. But I haven't seen any sustained frame drops below 90 fps or any head tracking lag all week.

RomKnight
01-09-2016, 22:13
Today there was a windows update too (well, i powered the pc today... :D )

indubious
01-09-2016, 23:23
oddly its running like crap again today. sitting at 45-50 fps. same track same cars same ai that I ran against 4 out of 5 days in a row. i'm completely at a loss for whats causing this to run slow or fast when it does. hopefully the iracing release doesn't have this issue.

GrimGreener
02-09-2016, 23:03
oddly its running like crap again today. sitting at 45-50 fps. same track same cars same ai that I ran against 4 out of 5 days in a row. i'm completely at a loss for whats causing this to run slow or fast when it does. hopefully the iracing release doesn't have this issue.
Hmmmn I saw this post yesterday so decided to spend the night tweaking to see if I could get above 45fps on a 4820k and 1080. No. Bizarrely at one point it was running 30% CPU and 45% GPU ??? Lots more digging to do. I do miss my PS3 and xbox 360...spent more time playing games instead of rebooting the game after changing 1 setting to see if it makes any difference.

After doing a bit of research I've worked out why AA KILLS VR...it all becomes clear... native vive resolution is 2160x1200 but it already renders scenes with a 1.4x excess to allow you head to pan before the next frame is ready. I'd you then stick on 1.5x Supersampling to get some detail... which I'm using so already at 4,536x2520. If you stick even 2x AA on at that res then source requirement is going to have to render a 9000x5000 image to them sample back down without jagged edges.No wonder it doesn't go very fast.

What I can't work out is why with no AA or render target multiplier set it still stuck at 45fps.

mr_belowski
03-09-2016, 13:46
Same for me. The GPU usage never goes about about 55% (1080 / i5 4690@4.4GHz) and the game is *always* in reprojection. If I disable reprojection in the steam VR settings the GPU usage jumps to up 90% or more but it's not enough to get 90fps - it's a juddery mess.

I've fiddled with the settings and stuff without much luck but to be honest, life's too short to try every possible combination. At end of the last fiddling session (oo-er) I found I was able to run 6x super sampling in-game as long as the other settings were low or medium and (most importantly) no shadows. Like all the other settings this was with reprojection enable and was, of course, reprojecting the whole time. But it hardly ever skipped any frames racing 18 AI at the 'Ring (in the sunshine). The AA was still quite disappointing.

I haven't tried it, but perhaps turning shadows off and running no AA might work OK without reprojection. It'd look bloody awful though.

I think we'll just have to accept that this game will always be reprojecting and tweak the gfx settings with that assumption.

indubious
04-09-2016, 19:28
Yeah, I agree about having to deal with reprojecting. The odd part is why its worked without on multiple occasions. It will be interesting to compare iracing support in a couple weeks.

GrimGreener
04-09-2016, 21:04
I've made a bit of a break through today.... Switched off hyper threading on the i7. Still not getting above 45fps with reprojection but now have decent head tracking, 2xAA and 1.3x super sampling. Only starts with lots of cars are a bit jittery - or coming back round to the pits/grandstand areas. Medium textures with 8x filtering and cars and shadows at medium.

My fave moment in project cars so far.... Short "weekend" race round Le Mans at 1am with weather set to clear. 200mph down the Mulsanne straight in an LMP1 car, and realising you can't see all your braking points until you are on them! I've been going down there since 2010 and now I realise how much of a super hero those drivers are to be able to do that in 3 hours stints! Porsche curves specifically are mental just attacking the dark and having to drive from memory!