PDA

View Full Version : MSAA and other options are greyed out with CV1

Gambit74
05-09-2016, 12:02
Hi,

I'm having issues with graphic settings. I recently had to reinstall my game, some reason the game wouldn't launch. Prior to this my in-game settings using oculus CV1 were set the same as playing it without using the CV1. Since the reinstall several graphic options are greyed out or missing all together.

Game is played through Steam.

I'd like these settings back because my monitor framerate is far better with them.
Now, you're probably thinking "what does it matter about the monitors frame rate when using a rift?" Well in answer, I have a co-driver who gets sick very fast in the rift. So I set the racing seat up infront of the tv and when I get out I place the rift down, resenter the view and he drives with the TV.

Settings I'd like back are.
Anti-Aliasing MSAA and High are no longer there only the Ds2 to 9x garbage. I want MSAA.
FXAA is greyed out (didn't use it anyway).
SMAA is greyed out and I had it set to medium.
On the "Visual FX" tab, heat haze and vignette are also greyed out.

Side notes.
Any idea why when using the tv like this the seating position is off centre to the right (regardless of car)???
Before reinstalling the game the cursor using the rift was two squares joined diagonally, some sort of graphic error. After reinstalling the game the cursor was of a targetting reticule, but after a couple of starts it went back to the squares...?

Game is up to date in Steam.

Specs.
X99 mb
I7 5820 @4.2 (H100i)
32gb DDR4
AMD 295x2 (Noctua custom fan mod)
Oculus Rift CV1
Logitech G27 with custom wheel + button mod + brake damper mod
Fanatech SQ shifter
GT Omega rig

cluck
05-09-2016, 13:26
When you re-installed, did you clear out the Project CARS folder in My Documents? The graphic settings files are stored in there (there are two .xml files, one for Rift and one for non-Rift). If you haven't already, try renaming them (rather than deleting them) and that will force them to get re-created. If you have removed them already, you might be able to hand-edit the Oculus version with the same "non-garbage" (really, there was no need for that tone when you're trying to get help) settings as the non-Rift file.

Personally, I haven't changed any of the settings myself manually, so not sure exactly what to look for. Hopefully somebody else might be able to give you the exact lines to copy :)

Gambit74
05-09-2016, 14:32
Hello, I've tried editing these files and copying the settings from graphicsconfigdx11 into graphicsconfigoculusdx11 doesn't work. Anti-Aliasing at 2 in graphicsconfigdx11 is MSAA, Anti-Aliasing at 2 in graphicsconfigoculusdx11 is Ds2x.

You shouldn't get upset by me calling Ds2 to 9x garbage for me they are the option to avoid. If you look at the youtube link below you'll see at the start of the video a comparison. Ds2x drops 13fps for very little gain, I've found this to be the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vazwDjHW2fQ

cluck
05-09-2016, 15:35
I run DS2X on my DK2 and have no problems with it. But that's beside the point, which is, that this is the developer's own forum and, as such, a little politeness goes a long way :). Calling something garbage, rather than saying "these options don't really suit me". Anyhoo, I'm not a mod, I'm just a WMD member so let's leave it at that.

I didn't realise the AA options were so different between the two files, sorry. As I said, I've not tried it myself and I'm not at my home PC to check, so it was an (ill)educated guess :o.

I'll leave this for somebody else to try and help you with :).

Mahjik
05-09-2016, 15:54
The main thing with DS2X and the similar modes is that they are not MSAA based. This means they do not have the pixel crawling and AA acne issues that MSAA based modes have... While you may not see the difference within a scrunched/compressed YouTube video, they are technologically superior to MSAA.

Gambit74
05-09-2016, 16:32
The main thing with DS2X and the similar modes is that they are not MSAA based. This means they do not have the pixel crawling and AA acne issues that MSAA based modes have... While you may not see the difference within a scrunched/compressed YouTube video, they are technologically superior to MSAA.

Yes but the frame rate is inferior and in a driving sim frame rate must take prefferance.
If it was just for the rift I wouldn't be bothered but the fps on the monitor are considerably worse than they were with MSAA.

Anyway, the Ds2x discussion asside; any idea why the AA option of MSAA or High is no longer there? It's not greyed out it's missing all together.

Mahjik
05-09-2016, 17:35
Yes but the frame rate is inferior and in a driving sim frame rate must take prefferance.

Yes. Typically AA modes that are 'better' have more impact on performance. That is to be expected. However, that doesn't make them garbage.

Gambit74
05-09-2016, 22:34
....So, dose anyone else using a CV1 have the option of MSAA available?

Little update.
The error with the cursor being displayed as two squares joined diagonally instead of the usual cursors. This is being caused some how by crowtrobot's custom grid tool adding the tool causes the error, removing it fixes the error.

Siberian Tiger
06-09-2016, 10:29
I moved your Thread to the Virtual Reality Subforum, here you will find probably more Help :)

Sorry, can't help myself either, i don't have a VR Device...

Gambit74
06-09-2016, 11:47
I moved your Thread to the Virtual Reality Subforum, here you will find probably more Help :)

Sorry, can't help myself either, i don't have a VR Device...

Thanks for that.
I've got flu at the moment and it's making me a bit lethargic, I wouldn't have been too surprised if I'd started this thread on Mcdonald's website. :)

jjcuff1
06-09-2016, 13:15
Mine are too. I read somewhere that with the CV1 FXAA and SMAA are disabled and MSAA/HIGH AA too

Gambit74
06-09-2016, 17:30
Must be something that was implemented in one of the updates, mine fas fine untill the reinstall.

Gambit74
08-09-2016, 16:07
Since the re-install I've noticed that the image on the monitor is low res, almost like it's not being fed through the GPU??? rift is normal. How can I get the monitor to display better?