PDA

View Full Version : Ability to change LOD settings to prevent items 'popping' into view

Roaders
11-09-2016, 10:03
Hi All

I've just had my first session properly playing the game with my Oculus Rift. Wow - it is quite an experience!

The resolution of the headset is a bit low though - things get very blocky and in particular when turning into a corner the kerb a the apex can more or less disappear. On the track that I was playing on (Brno) there were very useful tyre bundles on the apexes of these corners that were really good reference points to give you something to aim at. Unfortunately these bundles are not rendered straight away and pop into view when you get closer.

Is there anything I can do to make them appear sooner? I didn't see any LOD setting anywhere but if I turn everything else down will they appear sooner?

Thanks

cluck
11-09-2016, 10:50
What are your graphics options set to, when you're using the Rift? By default, they are reset to be quite a lot lower than the standard settings (there are two sets saved, one for Oculus, one for normal monitor use). Make sure the Track Detail is set to Ultra, which should help (this is under Graphics -> Performance).

Leave Environment Mapping and Reflections on Low to start with and raise them separately, one step at a time, until you find the game is uncomfortable and then take them back down a step again. Whilst driving, especially in dry conditions, you will rarely notice any visual difference by increasing these two settings :).

EDIT : I've asked a mod to move this to the dedicated VR sub-section of the forum :)

Konan
11-09-2016, 11:07
Thread moved to appropriate section...

Roaders
11-09-2016, 14:53
Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a try just now. I did see the VR section but as this was more of a question about LOD rather than VR I thought the general forum was the correct one. Thanks for correcting me.

Roaders
11-09-2016, 16:01
Ok, I gave it a go. My setting was already high and changing it to Ultra didn't seem to help. The tyre stacks still popped into view after I had already turned in towards the apex.

It looks like I'll just have to put up with it. Thanks