PDA

View Full Version : What TV for Project Cars?

LeMansnut
11-09-2016, 17:44
Can anybody recommend a good TV to play Project Cars on? Currently using a 32 inch TV but upgrading. Is it worth looking for ultra HD or is full HD good enough. Not looking to spend mega money. Looking for a bigger screen size too. Many thx

Rambo_Commando
11-09-2016, 18:28
Any tv with low input lag is sufficient. I find Sony tv's are great for gaming.

bporion
11-09-2016, 19:46
Get a PC monitor for a mutch better resolution , I have a 40 inch monitor at 3840by2160 way more then 1080p .

IrideGravity
12-09-2016, 06:47
Get a PC monitor for a mutch better resolution , I have a 40 inch monitor at 3840by2160 way more then 1080p .

Agreed. A PC monitor with an hdmi port, assuming you need one for a console,? will have better refresh rates. Big ones will be spendy. PC monitors only reasonable up to. 32 -37 inches maybe ?
Yeah. I checked. Above 27" in monitors moves into ultra wide territory. And ultra expensive.
Resolutions won't be useable unless you have a PC or one of the new pro consoles from. XBox or sony.

Ive always been partial to Japanese tv's. Had good luck with them and quality and longevity.
Toshiba and sharp both great value and quality IMO.

The only thing you need to avoid is a 720P display. But everything above 32" is 1080 P or better usually anyway.

cluck
12-09-2016, 07:58
Is it even possible to buy a 720P television these days? With sub. 100 TVs coming with 1080P @ 22", I can't believe any manufacturer would bother with 720P panels except at very small sizes maybe.

re. the original question, input lag is definitely the key thing to look for, especially if you're connecting it to a PC. Whether you should go for an UltraHD model really depends on your budget and the spec of your PC - or, of course, if you're planning to upgrade your PC in the near future to cope with that high a resolution.

There's a database on this site (http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag), listing the input lag of lots of TVs. No idea how accurate it is, it was one of the first results from Google for 'TV input lag' :D

LeMansnut
12-09-2016, 10:53
Should've said. I have a PC and my graphics card is the Nvidia GTX970.

cluck
12-09-2016, 11:19
In all honesty, you are going to struggle running true 4K with that card, at the highest detail levels so, unless you're interested in other 4K content and/or want to upgrade the card in the future, buying an UltraHD telly 'might' be a waste of money, if you can get a 1080P one much cheaper. Depends, of course, on what other games you play and what your budget is. If you find a suitable TV, within budget, that just so happens to have an UltraHD panel then go for it :).

I can't really help on the choice of TV, sorry, I lost interest in the TV upgrade race quite a few years ago and I use a monitor on my PC :o.

Boskapongen
12-09-2016, 11:20
http://www.gamesradar.com/best-gaming-tvs/

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/video-gaming/best

poirqc
12-09-2016, 15:39
Can anybody recommend a good TV to play Project Cars on? Currently using a 32 inch TV but upgrading. Is it worth looking for ultra HD or is full HD good enough. Not looking to spend mega money. Looking for a bigger screen size too. Many thx

I would be interested in that also. I thinking or buying a TV to that i don't have to move my rig. Since i won't be upgrading my PC for a while, 1080p will be good enough.

Something between 40 and 50 inch would do.

bporion
12-09-2016, 20:07
My Phillips monitor was 700$ pretty cheap in my book.

GrimeyDog
12-09-2016, 20:27

I use a Samsung UHD 48in... I Love it... The Curve Makes it Much more immersive because the Curve makes your eyes Draw to the center of the Screen while still maintaining Full View of screen in your periphial Vision.

If your Going to upgrade i suggest making UHD a Must even if it means taking More time to Save $$$... if your in the US remember November is Black Friday... Last year the Black Friday sales lasted all Month!!! I ended up spending $799.00 for the UHD 48in... Not bad Considering they still ask 1,199 to 1,399 for the same TV almist 1yr later!!!... Start Looming Now but wait till November its well worth the wait for the extra savings... also Shop Best Buy, PC Richards then Price check on the internet for the Bext 30 days... Thats what i did and saved a Extra $100. because i saw Samsung had it $100. cheaper on line so i went showed PC Richard the on line add and they Refunded the Price Diff!!! The Smart Consumer is King!!!

Edit: If you can swing it try to get 1 thats 240Htz it will Give Higher FPS !!! 120Htz =60FPS 240Htz =120FPs thats Not bad for a TV... Monitors are just too Dam Expensive for Larger sizes!!!

Sloskimo
13-09-2016, 09:22
Where's Jussi? Surprised he did not make an appearance yet :)

Haiden
13-09-2016, 21:37
Sony TV's are great with low latency. Typically, the more Smart features a TV has, the higher the latency, unless you're willing to spend more. Samsungs are an example of TVs with lots of Smart features, but that still have low latency, and they're generally more expensive.

Also, if you're going to be sitting particularly close to it while playing, you should make sure that it's lowest brightness setting is actually low enough that it won't cause eye strain. Some TVs are still too bright to use at close range (think mounted), even on the lowest setting.

Silraed
13-09-2016, 21:49
Sony TV's are great with low latency. Typically, the more Smart features a TV has, the higher the latency, unless you're willing to spend more. Samsungs are an example of TVs with lots of Smart features, but that still have low latency, and they're generally more expensive.

Advice like this is pretty broad and general, do not just go and buy a TV based on brand because these rules do not apply to all the products in a brands range. Always, always do your research and then some.

magical-one
13-09-2016, 22:01
The 2016 Vizio D Series TV's have incredibly low input lag times for 4k tv's and are very reasonably priced. As long as you're not running dual video cards you get a great gaming tv for a low price.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/video-gaming/best

Howie
13-09-2016, 22:02
http://www.rtings.com/ Press the TV selection. Then which TVs work best for Gaming/then your price range. The newest TVs are capable of inpute lag as low as most monitors. 20ms or lower. And HDR is about to be all the rage in gaming. Monitors, to my knowledge don't even support HDR.

Haiden
14-09-2016, 18:01
Advice like this is pretty broad and general, do not just go and buy a TV based on brand because these rules do not apply to all the products in a brands range. Always, always do your research and then some.

I didn't tell him to buy anything. I simply said Sony TV often have low latency, which is not a false statement. The only actual "advice" I gave was about the brightness, and that's not wrong.

Anyway, let the OP decide how to use the info. It was his question, and he's a big boy. I think he can figure it out with a chaperone. There was a rating list posted above. I'm assuming he's using all the info posted here to make a decision, not just picking one single comment to follow.

konnos
14-09-2016, 18:25
Haiden that was true with some previous generations of Sonys, I remember reading this year that the current models do not score quite as high as they used to in the latency department. They re still good, just not like the ones previously, I guess they realised it was not worth the extra effort, since it didn't reflect in their sales. So it will have to be a per model assessment.

Haiden
14-09-2016, 19:26
Haiden that was true with some previous generations of Sonys, I remember reading this year that the current models do not score quite as high as they used to in the latency department. They re still good, just not like the ones previously, I guess they realised it was not worth the extra effort, since it didn't reflect in their sales. So it will have to be a per model assessment.

Jesus. I never told him which brand to buy. I just said Sony's are typically on the lower latency side. Of course it's per brand. But since I haven't personally tried every brand, I can only speak about the two I own. He can do his own research. It was just a comment. If you've got info to add, then tell him. He's the one that asked.

Here's a rating site with most of the brands/models. He can go with whatever suits his fancy/pocket. I don't care. I'm perfectly happy with my TV. :)

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

Silraed
14-09-2016, 20:18
Jesus. I never told him which brand to buy.

Calm down we're not saying you did. I'm not saying you were giving false information either, I was simply expanding on what you had said.

My personal experience is that Sony had great input lag but terrible ghosting and motion blur to get that speed but that doesn't go for every one of their products from every generation.

Haiden
14-09-2016, 21:11
Calm down we're not saying you did. I'm not saying you were giving false information either, I was simply expanding on what you had said.

My personal experience is that Sony had great input lag but terrible ghosting and motion blur to get that speed but that doesn't go for every one of their products from every generation.

I am calm. Next time don't start off criticizing the so called "advice". That might help.

I have a new model 55" Sony Bravia. No ghosting or blur, just a great 4K image. And yes, I recommend it.

I tried a new model LG. I didn't like it, and ended up exchanging it for the Bravia.

Silraed
14-09-2016, 22:00
I am calm. Next time don't start off criticizing the so called "advice".

I wasn't critising anything, like I said I was just trying to expand on it. If you took it as criticism then sorry it wasn't meant like that.

Out of curiosity which LG model did you try? I have little to no experience with recent LG TV's but I find their OLED technology intriguing.

Haiden
14-09-2016, 22:17
I wasn't critising anything, like I said I was just trying to expand on it. If you took it as criticism then sorry it wasn't meant like that.

Out of curiosity which LG model did you try? I have little to no experience with recent LG TV's but I find their OLED technology intriguing.

Understood. NP. :)

Pretty sure it was the 55UH6150. I think the 55UH7700 is better, but at that point, the price was too close to the Bravia, so I just got that instead.

Rambo_Commando
15-09-2016, 04:00
I have both Sony, Samsung and LG tv's. I feel Sony offers the best bang for your buck. Their 2012-2014 models are great for gaming and watching tv, movies, etc...Samsung and LG's are great, possibly better than Sony, but you need to move up in price point just to get good input lag. The 2016 VIZIO d series is great for gaming but horrible for watching tv.

Either way, I was in this same situation in spring looking for a tv. I ended up with a 65" Bravia and I have no regrets. Once the price drops tough, I'm running to the store to get an OLED tv from LG. Good luck with your search.

Haiden
15-09-2016, 11:51
I have both Sony, Samsung and LG tv's. I feel Sony offers the best bang for your buck. Their 2012-2014 models are great for gaming and watching tv, movies, etc...Samsung and LG's are great, possibly better than Sony, but you need to move up in price point just to get good input lag. The 2016 VIZIO d series is great for gaming but horrible for watching tv.

Either way, I was in this same situation in spring looking for a tv. I ended up with a 65" Bravia and I have no regrets. Once the price drops tough, I'm running to the store to get an OLED tv from LG. Good luck with your search.

Agreed. The new Bravia's are very nice. And, yes... I'm jealous of your additional 10". :sorrow: :)