PDA

View Full Version : AC vs PCars in VR

jjcuff1
23-09-2016, 18:30
I looked for this compare when I was looking at VR and I installed AC last night for the first time.

AC installed easily enough and getting VR enabled in game is easy. In resolution pulldown select rift.
It also appears that all grpahics settings work for both rift and monitor. SO DSR, 4xAA and what not all seemed to make a differance.

I have heard about the physics on AC but after about an hour I didnt see much difference that made me want to switch from Pcars.
Using the R8 the cockpit in VR was almost identical in both games. IQ wise.

On monitors there is no comparison. Pcars feels so much more alive with track, shadows, etc. AC is flat outside the cars feels like 90s doom.
VR wise what is nice AC carrys over the same level of IQ which holds it own and runs very fast compared to Pcars. I had DSR and 4x and looked awesome no jaggies but the track still felt better in Pcars even in VR and more jaggies the depth or something was there.

The AC benchmark, maxed settings, 2560x1080 I was getting 189-200FPS and at 3870x1440 I was around 120.

I didnt even check VR but it played fine. After that I shut it down and went back to pcars LOL..

hpiguy
23-09-2016, 19:03
AC looks a lot better on my system in VR. That and the fact that Pcars needs to be completely shut down and re-launched when changing graphics settings means I'm more likely to go turn laps in AC, vs spending that time tweaking settings in Pcars. I'm really hoping they fix this in Pcars2.

I don't run the default FFB in AC, I have mine converted to linear FFB (ala iRacing) and run the FFBclip tool as well. It doesn't feel over the top and generic this way, and you can feel the smaller details of the tracks, curbs, etc much better IMO. I'm really digging AC on the PC, the console version however is shite.

jjcuff1
23-09-2016, 19:11
Console is really bad.
I was stuck on the flat/washed out lighting of the tracks. Cars looked the same in VR.
the VR version does look better. AA is not an issue but I have not played with settings to optimize things. Also Draw distance does not seem like an issue.

Doing graphic change sin gam eis nice but once I dial in it is done. so not an issue as much as:

the in game menus are not in the VR so taking VR headset off between races to set up game and using mouse to select start in the race is painful.
Taking my VR on/off in any game kills it for me. Hurts my eyes quickly too.
Load times are SUPER long.

With above mentioned I can run pcars much faster race to race all in the VR headset.

jpmmuc
14-10-2016, 09:22
Console is really bad.
I was stuck on the flat/washed out lighting of the tracks. Cars looked the same in VR.
the VR version does look better. AA is not an issue but I have not played with settings to optimize things. Also Draw distance does not seem like an issue.

Doing graphic change sin gam eis nice but once I dial in it is done. so not an issue as much as:

the in game menus are not in the VR so taking VR headset off between races to set up game and using mouse to select start in the race is painful.
Taking my VR on/off in any game kills it for me. Hurts my eyes quickly too.
Load times are SUPER long.

With above mentioned I can run pcars much faster race to race all in the VR headset.

For sure Project Cars has the best VR implementation so far and is supporting HTC Vive and Rift. But the performance and the judder in the distance is annoying. I think how to draw objects in the distance has to be reworked for VR it's not the same as on a flat screen.

Assetto Corsa has a lot better performance in VR and the picture is more stable. I like the HUD with it benched looking in Assetto Corsa more also you can better fine adjust it on the screen. That the basic menus are not in VR is a shame but to be honest it's a beta version and they are only supporting at the moment the Rift so I have to use ReVive.

But nevertheless there is nothing better as driving in VR, the 3D immersion most notably the ups and downs of the tracks are so fantastic!! I'm also a lot in Dirt Rally the stages are looking so real you will not get half of this feeling even with a triple screen setup ;-)

jjcuff1
14-10-2016, 13:29
I agree the pcars is the most polished of the several games I have played. I think War Thunder graphics wise is the most realistic and experience of flying and ease to play. I know DCS and FSX are out there but so hard to pick up and play. Like ED too slow to start for me.

I like everspace but still not VR ready and hard to play in VR. I am spoiled now too, if the game isn't VR i don't want to play even on my 4k TV. have better things to do LOL.
Dirt Rally looks ok compared to pcars that I turned off. Yes gameplay is fun but I am still more of a track guy.

hpiguy
14-10-2016, 21:14
Personally, flipping the HMD up to select options for my next event doesn't bother me at all, just the opposite actually. It gives me a breather, lets my face and the device cool down a bit, gets rid of any fogging that might be present (long stints in iRacing can cause this), etc. One could argue that it's better for your eyes too, but we won't know that until probably 20 years from now, way too early on to tell right now. My only real complaint with my Rift is the lack of ventilation, same as with FPV goggles for RC flying. I made a small spacer that actually puts a tiny gap between the bottom of the facial interface and the HMD itself, but it really needs a tiny fan to circulate some air in there.

What I need is something like this

http://i.imgur.com/Fm4AB6R.jpg

jjcuff1
17-10-2016, 15:25
I have a 3d printer at home :)

hpiguy
17-10-2016, 18:23
I have a 3d printer at home :)

This wasn't you was it?

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/57chcl/cooling_venting_fan_for_facial_interface/

jjcuff1
17-10-2016, 18:43
No I did stuff for my IROC Camaro restore. #D printed a new dash and some other small things.
I printed upgrades to make printer faster
Built a Stereo Cooler, called Tundra Tunes.

rosko
18-10-2016, 17:03
I think the shadows in pcars are really bad in VR & they glitch & flicker like mad, tracks like Monaco are especially bad for this. AC is just much more solid looking in VR imo.

Also to add to that in AC you have a fully modelled car interior.

jjcuff1
18-10-2016, 21:06
Rosko, I think it is a catch 22 when I tried AC.
The interiors I felt were the same or better in VR for both games almost looked identical inside the R8.

AC in general has no lighting/shaders so it feels like flat, the track models look 90's. Cars look great sounds are awesome.
The good thing is it is less intensive so I I cranked it up to ultra level SS 1.8 didnt seem to phase the game. The tracks appeared ok and AA was good.

That said it felt like 90s game in VR to me. with decent cockpit. But the immersion was lost since cars vs track was so different.
And There isno where to go or top out.

In Pcars I can play 4x and still wish I can do 6x and it looks that much better. The Cars to track models all appear the same level and add to the immersion for me.
Shaders yes are super bad. I turn them off off. But the track is still model with better lighting then AC with no shadows.

GrimeyDog
15-11-2016, 13:35
Dirt Rally is Incredible in VR!!! The Driving Experience is Really Nice!!! it has tge Best VR graphics of the 3.

If you have Buttkickers it just adds sooo MuchMore Immersion Pcars, AC & Dirt.

How ever im still caught with the dilema of To Keep the Oculus Rift or Return it...Great Immersiin Fun but i dont think its something i will be using everyday... $599.00 + tax= $650.00 Thats alotta cash to burn on something that might end up sitting on the shelf for long periods of time...Im thinking maybe to wait untilthey come out with a better Version with better Screen Resolutiin.
I just bought it a few days ago...Best Buy has a great Return policy:rolleyes:LOL

Any thoughts or input on this???...

cluck
15-11-2016, 13:52
Any thoughts or input on this?I have used my Rift (DK2 version) almost daily since I got it 2 years ago and that has lower resolution than the CV1. If you can't get over the lower resolution then you never will. Me? I took to it immediately and could never go back to racing on a monitor (or multiple monitors) again.

GrimeyDog
15-11-2016, 16:42
I have used my Rift (DK2 version) almost daily since I got it 2 years ago and that has lower resolution than the CV1. If you can't get over the lower resolution then you never will. Me? I took to it immediately and could never go back to racing on a monitor (or multiple monitors) again.

Lower Resolution Is Hard after using a 48in Curverd 4K.TV...LOL.

The Lower Res is Not that Bad Given the Great Sim Racing Immersion the Oculus Gives!!! With the Buttkickers on i feel like im Really there!!!

Question My Desk top is Set to UHD 3860 2140... Should i lower that to 1080p or less so the GPU is Not spitting Graphics power to run the UHD tv display and Oculus?

Its only a little 1/4 Windowed box on the TV Screen but still to run it in UHD requires GPU power that can be better used to run the Oculus...is this Correct... Ive only had Oculus a few days so im still learning how to Maximize it.