PDA

View Full Version : Sim rig building & mounting, portable solutions.

rosko
02-10-2016, 16:17
Is there a place to buy this stuff from? I'm looking to somehow create a portable solution for a h-shifter, button box & Hotas. I have a next level racing wheel stand that although quality wise its really not that great it is ideal that it packs away nicely in just a few minutes. Eventually i will replace the TH-08a for the club sport, so the mount the stand provides probably isn't going to work. Ideally what i have in mind is to build a few rectangular boxes that i can slide next to my office chair then move away again. I don't know the best way to go about it is, weather there is something on the market already that i could use or cobble some aluminium frame or make it out of wood. I don't really have the facilities for a big DIY project but in essence it should by relatively simple. I wonder if anyone on here has approached the problem or know of a good source of materials & products that may help.
Also while i'm on the subject if anyone knows of an ideal office chair for sims? I'm using a cheap ikea chair it works pretty well but its not comfortable & is generally a bit of the shit side. I really can't go for the proper racing or flying seat as i pack all the stuff away & use my pc for music production. Potentially i guess i could have some sort of racing seat if i could move it out of the way but that probably isn't ideal.

rosko
02-10-2016, 16:41
So looking around the internet seems that aluminium frame that looks like adult Meccano maybe a good solution as it's well like Meccano & gives you plenty of options. I've no idea where to buy it in the uk though. The biggest concern is making it sturdy enough but not attach it to anything solid it needs to be free standing & modular. I'm also looking at my shoe rack & wondering if i could utilise that in some way, its sort of the right shape.

hkraft300
03-10-2016, 11:06
Have you considered a car seat instead of an/the office chair? My plan is to build a frame, bolt a car seat to it, Chuck some castors on so I can wheel the lot out of the way. Weight isn't an issue for me and I have the means to weld up a steel frame so different situation.
The aluminium big boy meccano sounds interesting. Got a link?

McKiernan
03-10-2016, 13:25
Here's a video on the Simpit where Shaun builds a rig with this Big Boy Meccano (love that name). The tubing has different names but is often referred to as 80/20 tubing.

http://youtu.be/P0c-4HTLP1I

Mahjik
03-10-2016, 13:42
Also while i'm on the subject if anyone knows of an ideal office chair for sims? I'm using a cheap ikea chair it works pretty well but its not comfortable & is generally a bit of the shit side. I really can't go for the proper racing or flying seat as i pack all the stuff away & use my pc for music production. Potentially i guess i could have some sort of racing seat if i could move it out of the way but that probably isn't ideal.

A rather expensive option, but Corbeau makes an "Office Chair Base" that you can use with their real car seats:

http://corbeau.com/catalog/product/view/id/2669/s/office-chair-base/category/79/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ubYkA8-jE

This way, you could have a rolling office chair base but with a more race oriented seat. You would just need something to lock it in place while you are sim racing as it doesn't appear to have locks on the wheels.

Haiden
03-10-2016, 14:51
The 80/20 is a good option, and would probably be compatible with whatever rig you end up going with in the future.

bradleyland
03-10-2016, 17:47
The Playseat Challenge might be a good fit for you. It folds up, so you can put it away when not in use. You'll have to roll your office chair out of the way to use it though.

I'm not sure what your desk is like, but this is what I do. I have my TV set up on my desk's return portion. I mount the wheel directly to the desk. My desk is a mess of wires and stuff, but I use it for multiple functions, so it's kind of unavoidable.

http://i.imgur.com/xPfBF2fl.jpg

There are a couple of things I want to do that would improve my setup:

Pedal mounting board Right now, my pedals are sitting on a non-slip rug-matt material that we had left over from our living room. They stay put pretty well, but when I use the clutch and try to heel-toe, the pedals tip over toward the back. I plan on mounting them to a board to eliminate this issue.

Pedal-chair attachment One of the problems with using an office chair is that when you press on the pedals, your chair can be pushed away from the pedals. You'll find that you develop some rather strange footwork techniques to avoid this effect, but these are bad habits that will ultimately hurt lap times. The remedy is to put a small eyelet on the pedal board I'm building, to which I will attach a strap that goes around the lift-cylinder on my office chair.

As far as office chair selection goes, you want to look for two key features:

Rocker/recline lockout Office chairs typically rock/recline backward a bit. This is a problem when you're pressing hard on the pedals. Some office chairs offer a "lockout" for this feature. Highly recommended.

Adjustable height arms When you're using your steering wheel, you don't want your elbows to run in to the arms of your office chair. I drop the arms on my chair all the way down when I'm using my wheel.

Personally, I have a Herman Miller Mirra chair (https://www.amazon.com/Mirra-Chair-Herman-Miller-Adjustable/dp/B0002K11BK). I absolutely love it. I've had it for several years now, and it still looks and works like new. The mesh back and bottom keep you cool, and the shape is very supportive. It's on the expensive side, but they last and last and last. This is the chair that many high-end hotels use in their rooms, which is a testament to their durability. I read about too many longevity issues with the Aeron, so I went with the simpler Mirra chair and haven't looked back.

hkraft300
04-10-2016, 06:25
Do you have the problem of the chair trying to rotate on you when you're hard on the brakes? That's another problem I'd see with using an office chair. But it's only going to turn so much because your butt is planted in it.
Maybe only a problem with stiff brake pedals?

poirqc
04-10-2016, 11:03
If you're going to do long races, keep in mind that an office chair will always rotate a bit, whenever your pressing the pedals. At some point, you can get back strain from being twisted just a tiny bit.

If office space isn't an issue, i could recommend you build a pvc rig (https://www.google.ca/search?q=sim+racing+pvc+rig&espv=2&biw=1591&bih=942&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5mNiEgMHPAhWDdj4KHTLyBQIQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=Rz1sMfut4QIwoM%3A). I slide mine in and out when i want to use it.

Charger
04-10-2016, 11:16
PVC, sliding in and out, all in one sentence, Oh my!!

hkraft300
04-10-2016, 14:12
PVC, sliding in and out, all in one sentence, Oh my!!

Giggity

Lewis Puppy
04-10-2016, 16:44

hkraft300
05-10-2016, 00:06
That looks so portable it might fit in the back of my Polo, Lewis :p

Haiden
05-10-2016, 00:46
That looks so portable it might fit in the back of my Polo, Lewis :p

I've got the same rig with casters. The wheels make it very convenient to slide out of the way. With the seat folded forward and the frame extenders collapsed, it has a surprisingly small footprint. :)

rosko
05-10-2016, 17:09
Have you considered a car seat instead of an/the office chair? My plan is to build a frame, bolt a car seat to it, Chuck some castors on so I can wheel the lot out of the way. Weight isn't an issue for me and I have the means to weld up a steel frame so different situation.
The aluminium big boy meccano sounds interesting. Got a link?

Well yes but not easy to store away & hide. Truth is my girlfriend doesn't know i spend my money & time doing this, she thinks i'm busy in my studio being creative & that's the reason i'm too busy to ring/see her.

rosko
05-10-2016, 17:12
Here's a video on the Simpit where Shaun builds a rig with this Big Boy Meccano (love that name). The tubing has different names but is often referred to as 80/20 tubing.

http://youtu.be/P0c-4HTLP1I

Yes this is it, at least i know the real name of it now. I reckon i can build a rectangular frame to sit next to my chair each side with that stuff & just drop whatever button box, hotas or shifter into that.

rosko
05-10-2016, 17:15
A rather expensive option, but Corbeau makes an "Office Chair Base" that you can use with their real car seats:

http://corbeau.com/catalog/product/view/id/2669/s/office-chair-base/category/79/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ubYkA8-jE

This way, you could have a rolling office chair base but with a more race oriented seat. You would just need something to lock it in place while you are sim racing as it doesn't appear to have locks on the wheels.

That could be the ticket actually and it not too bad price wise, I think for an office chair you can expect to a bit if its good quality. I live in the uk though so not sure if its available here.

rosko
05-10-2016, 17:26
The Playseat Challenge might be a good fit for you. It folds up, so you can put it away when not in use. You'll have to roll your office chair out of the way to use it though.

I'm not sure what your desk is like, but this is what I do. I have my TV set up on my desk's return portion. I mount the wheel directly to the desk. My desk is a mess of wires and stuff, but I use it for multiple functions, so it's kind of unavoidable.

http://i.imgur.com/xPfBF2fl.jpg

There are a couple of things I want to do that would improve my setup:

Pedal mounting board Right now, my pedals are sitting on a non-slip rug-matt material that we had left over from our living room. They stay put pretty well, but when I use the clutch and try to heel-toe, the pedals tip over toward the back. I plan on mounting them to a board to eliminate this issue.

Pedal-chair attachment One of the problems with using an office chair is that when you press on the pedals, your chair can be pushed away from the pedals. You'll find that you develop some rather strange footwork techniques to avoid this effect, but these are bad habits that will ultimately hurt lap times. The remedy is to put a small eyelet on the pedal board I'm building, to which I will attach a strap that goes around the lift-cylinder on my office chair.

As far as office chair selection goes, you want to look for two key features:

Rocker/recline lockout Office chairs typically rock/recline backward a bit. This is a problem when you're pressing hard on the pedals. Some office chairs offer a "lockout" for this feature. Highly recommended.

Adjustable height arms When you're using your steering wheel, you don't want your elbows to run in to the arms of your office chair. I drop the arms on my chair all the way down when I'm using my wheel.

Personally, I have a Herman Miller Mirra chair (https://www.amazon.com/Mirra-Chair-Herman-Miller-Adjustable/dp/B0002K11BK). I absolutely love it. I've had it for several years now, and it still looks and works like new. The mesh back and bottom keep you cool, and the shape is very supportive. It's on the expensive side, but they last and last and last. This is the chair that many high-end hotels use in their rooms, which is a testament to their durability. I read about too many longevity issues with the Aeron, so I went with the simpler Mirra chair and haven't looked back.

I think if the playseat was higher quality & more sturdy i would go for it but it looks way too flimsy.
I do not use a desk but the next level racing stand, i use VR so i don't need a monitor stand. I could in theory just have it setup in a small space in my cupboard if the wires were long enough & then i could potentially have a more permanent solution. Very nice setup btw.

rosko
05-10-2016, 17:37
Do you have the problem of the chair trying to rotate on you when you're hard on the brakes? That's another problem I'd see with using an office chair. But it's only going to turn so much because your butt is planted in it.

If you're going to do long races, keep in mind that an office chair will always rotate a bit, whenever your pressing the pedals. At some point, you can get back strain from being twisted just a tiny bit.

If office space isn't an issue, i could recommend you build a pvc rig (https://www.google.ca/search?q=sim+racing+pvc+rig&espv=2&biw=1591&bih=942&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5mNiEgMHPAhWDdj4KHTLyBQIQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=Rz1sMfut4QIwoM%3A). I slide mine in and out when i want to use it.

Not really an issue for me i push a few dumbbell weights just under the wheels & its solid.

Its worth thinking about a complete rig build, the problem with office chair is i would like a buttkicker & something more solid than the wheel stand, but its just so much cheaper & easier to build it modular with an office chair.

rosko
05-10-2016, 17:39
I've got the same rig with casters. The wheels make it very convenient to slide out of the way. With the seat folded forward and the frame extenders collapsed, it has a surprisingly small footprint. :)

So that thing folds away? it looks hefty. Is there a link to it?

Haiden
05-10-2016, 18:02
So that thing folds away? it looks hefty. Is there a link to it?

Well, I wouldn't say it folds away. But the seat angle is adjustable, horizotal slide and back angle. You can actually recline it to a completely horizontal position. If you angle the seat forward, until it's leaning against the wheel and collapse the frame length (you can see the small expansion section in the pic, about 6-8 inches of spacer showing along the right side of the base), then it has surprisingly small footprint, and you can slide/tuck it in a corner.

But, yes. It's a pretty sturdy rig. I don't get any flex in the frame. My only complaint/ding is the pedal board. They should have used something stronger, because depending on how you angle the board and the position of your pedals, you can get a little flex in the board. The drill holes for Fanatec V3 pedals forces you to mount them toward the top of the board. The higher your pedals are mounted, the more flex you get from the leverage. It's not a deal breaker, and it doesn't bother me (because I'm used to it), but at some point, I'm going to have an aluminum plate drilled out, so I can mount/sandwich that between the board and the pedals to eliminate that flex.

Mahjik
05-10-2016, 18:11
That could be the ticket actually and it not too bad price wise, I think for an office chair you can expect to a bit if its good quality. I live in the uk though so not sure if its available here.

It might take a little bit, but I believe they ship internationally.

doncarlos
05-10-2016, 19:11
I built this from scrap square tubing lying around in our garage. I used an old office chair as a seat.

Cholton82
05-10-2016, 20:39
I have a Playseat Challenge , really sturdy and super comfy , it folds away easy with everything attached and is light enough to be carried up and down stairs .
I'm super impressed with it and so is everyone that has checked it out .

hkraft300
06-10-2016, 01:48
Well yes but not easy to store away & hide. Truth is my girlfriend doesn't know i spend my money & time doing this, she thinks i'm busy in my studio being creative & that's the reason i'm too busy to ring/see her.

Gents get your thinking hats on! We gotta help out a brother in need!

Playseat Challenge folds away.
What about just a Wheel Stand/Pro? Unplug, fold it up and tuck it away?

Lewis Puppy
06-10-2016, 02:02

This is the real deal guys. It has a seat slider that goes forwards and back, just like a real car. And the most comfortable seat that you can ever imagine. Don't play games and cheat yourselves, get this now!!

bradleyland
08-10-2016, 20:10

Sorry, disappeared for a few days during Hurricane Matthew. I'm on the Florida east coast. Everything is fine. Just a lot of clean-up. Fun times!

Very, very occasionally I'll have a rotation issue. It's actually more related to steering than braking though. When I press the pedals, the force comes back to my hip, which is close enough to center that it doesn't rotate. It actually as the opposite effect. When I'm hard on the brakes, I get very little rotation.

The times I have issues with rotation is when I'm crossing-over (steering). There's a period while you're crossing over that you're steering with one hand. When that hand is on the top of the wheel by itself, you're applying a surprising amount of lateral force. That's when I get rotation. It doesn't happen that often, because I try to adjust my steering ratio to avoid crossing up, but sometimes usually when I have an off :\ I find myself struggling against it.

ProjectReen
20-10-2016, 07:26
what do you think about the new model of the speedmaster?
i want to buy a new rig...

the playseat is good but i dont know regarding the bar between the legs...

Fran_Montoya
20-10-2016, 11:20
Simple with clean lines. Appears well constructed. Semi gloss color over a good primer would look great. Or even a nice stain to match other furniture. A lil detail work and some time you could have a great rig. Wood translates vibrations very well so I see Simvibe transducer mounts in great locations on your setup.

Djuvinile
21-10-2016, 14:12
You need a playseat challenge! best thing i bought in years.. sits very comfortable is sturdy.
Even though i fitted a t3pa,TH8a and a tablet mount it folds like a charm into a closet.

Haiden
22-10-2016, 16:19
what do you think about the new model of the speedmaster?
i want to buy a new rig...

the playseat is good but i dont know regarding the bar between the legs...

I never had a Playseat, but I had a WheelStand Pro. The center pole wasn't an issue, until I got a three pedal setup. Then left foot braking, became a bit annoying over longer stints/gaming sessions, because my leg was always cocked around the pole. Some people are okay with the center pole, but my logic is... The Playseat isn't really cheaper than rigs without a center pole, so why take the risk, unless you know for sure the center pole isn't an issue. If it was a simple matter of taking it back to the local store for an exchange, you could try it out. But that's not the case.

morpwr
22-10-2016, 17:54
I never had a Playseat, but I had a WheelStand Pro. The center pole wasn't an issue, until I got a three pedal setup. Then left foot braking, became a bit annoying over longer stints/gaming sessions, because my leg was always cocked around the pole. Some people are okay with the center pole, but my logic is... The Playseat isn't really cheaper than rigs without a center pole, so why take the risk, unless you know for sure the center pole isn't an issue. If it was a simple matter of taking it back to the local store for an exchange, you could try it out. But that's not the case.

I can say that was always my biggest issue with the playseat. No matter how I positioned things the center pole was in the way. The other thing I noticed immediately after upgrading from the g27 to the t300 is the flex really shows up in it. Same goes for the footrest part it fine for stock pedal but as soon as you go with a loadcell the flex will show up and it does make a difference.

hkraft300
23-10-2016, 06:18
Too much chassis flex. You need a rollcage ;)

Hillarious
29-10-2016, 14:58
I built a solid steel SimRig for 15 quid (about $20). It can fold away and can also be transported easily. I will try to post some pics if anyone is interested.

rosko
29-10-2016, 17:30
I built a solid steel SimRig for 15 quid (about $20). It can fold away and can also be transported easily. I will try to post some pics if anyone is interested.

Yes please.

hkraft300
30-10-2016, 01:40

Pics or it didn't happen!
Solid steel. That's a Real Man's rig.
So you can fold it up and deadlift it :D

Hillarious
30-10-2016, 09:33
The brief was to use a readily available pre-manufactured item from China which would save on me having to purchase steel from the local HW store at an exorbitant price.

I purchased the following A frame trestles from ebay and modified one to customise the SimRig. Cost 24.99 (for 2).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Heavy-Duty-Telescopic-Trestle-Builders-Carpenter-Work-Bench-Saw-Horse-Folding-/351891864454?hash=item51ee63bb86

I also purchased a jiffy bag of hand picked bolts from Wilko (Wilkinson UK) for 1.99
Total Cost 24.99/2 + 1.99 = 14.485

The shelf is a leftover piece of white chipboard (kitchen shelf) and is mounted upside down in order to lower the height of the steering wheel. I also used a couple of pieces of threaded rod which I had in my tool kit. However, the pedals can be hung with wire (if you wanted to slide the rig around or sit on the floor if required.

You can build one and have also build one for your mate....:cocksure: