PDA

View Full Version : Oversteering trouble (PS4)

SkrubzTheNub
13-10-2016, 05:51
So I picked up pcars for ps4 last week and I love it. So much I bought a couple DLC cars. But one issue has been messing with me since I installed it, the steering. So after about 3 hours of youtube I looked for some tuning guides,controller setups,etc in hopes of trying to fix the insane steering. But no matter what I do I always find myself oversteering into a 360. Sometimes I'll be driving straight and the car would have an odd pull to the sides. I am playing with a controller cuz I don't have the money for a wheel. I even tried "go in slow,come out fast" strat but when I do I can't keep good control of the car and end up fishtailing and eventually oversteering. So maybe you guys could help. I'm struggling horribly with it with no where else to turn (pun intended).

Thanks in advance! :)

Sankyo
13-10-2016, 07:48
Sounds like you're struggling with throttle control, but we can't tell for sure unless we see a video of your driving :)

One thing you might want to check is your controller input to see if that responds properly and there are no steering offsets in your controller by switching on the telemetry HUD, At the top you'll see your controller inputs, they should be smooth when controlling the car and showing nothing when not touching the controller.

Madmazz116
13-10-2016, 07:57
So I picked up pcars for ps4 last week and I love it. So much I bought a couple DLC cars. But one issue has been messing with me since I installed it, the steering. So after about 3 hours of youtube I looked for some tuning guides,controller setups,etc in hopes of trying to fix the insane steering. But no matter what I do I always find myself oversteering into a 360. Sometimes I'll be driving straight and the car would have an odd pull to the sides. I am playing with a controller cuz I don't have the money for a wheel. I even tried "go in slow,come out fast" strat but when I do I can't keep good control of the car and end up fishtailing and eventually oversteering. So maybe you guys could help. I'm struggling horribly with it with no where else to turn (pun intended).

Thanks in advance! :)

I found these settings really helpfull , try them out might help

Steering Dead Zone 0
Steering Sensitivity 30
Throttle Dead Zone 0
Throttle Sensitivity 50
Brake Dead zone 0
Brake Sensitivity 30
Clutch Dead zone 0
Clutch Sensitivity 45
Speed Sensitivity 75
Controller Filter Sensitivity 50
Advanced Settings on
Soft Steering Dampering on
Visual Wheel Filtering on
Opposite Lock Help off

I know some are for a wheel , but Im a pad user and I just did them all anyway , worked a treat for me. :)

hkraft300
13-10-2016, 14:30
Great settings above: mine were very similar. Highly recommend it.
It may help to increase steering ratio in car tuning too. I had it at 18:1 when using the DS4 and felt it was better with it a bit slow and steady. Could well have been a placebo effect though: thumbstick only moves so much!

SkrubzTheNub
13-10-2016, 15:25
I'll try these when i get home. 10 hour shifts are a pain. Thank you :)

SkrubzTheNub
14-10-2016, 06:08
I tried this setup with the Renault Megane and I have slight understeer rather than a lot of oversteer. I'm going to try it out with some different cars. Thanks for the setup btw it helped a lot!

hkraft300
14-10-2016, 07:26
You may want to reduce speed sensitivity a bit.
With the thumbsticks it requires a lot of precision and very slight movement for steering especially for tyre wear and endurance racing.
Slight understeer is a better situation with thumbsticks as oversteer is hard to catch: I've lacked the fine motor skills for it.

eiwhatsup
14-10-2016, 08:24
You on a controller?, a 360 pad for instance?. Make sure in options menu, controls, to select control type 2. Then go throttle and break deadzones and reduce them from 20 to 4.

Once on the game, make sure to reduce quite a bit the steering wheel angle for each car.

On the pad the secret to be good in project cars is to be swift with your steering inputs, as well as control or be gentle with the throttle as you steer.

hkraft300
14-10-2016, 08:42
You on a controller?, a 360 pad for instance?. Make sure in options menu, controls, to select control type 2. Then go throttle and break deadzones and reduce them from 20 to 4.

Once on the game, make sure to reduce quite a bit the steering wheel angle for each car.

On the pad the secret to be good in project cars is to be swift with your steering inputs, as well as control or be gentle with the throttle as you steer.

Ye forgot to mention you'd want control mode 2 (set that first) then use madmazz settings above.

On the second point: do you mean steering ratio? Which doesn't change the limit of front wheels' angle when turning (speed sensitivity does it) but changes how much you have to turn the steering wheel lock to lock.
Like I mentioned before: on a gamepad it may not have made much difference if any but I do recommend increasing the ratio (slower/high number) to ~18:1.

eiwhatsup
14-10-2016, 11:33
yeah I meant steering ratio sorry.

I think 15:1 is high enough for the controller. I'm very good and smooth using the sticks and can go much higher than 15 or 14:1, but I know most of the people have difficulties when they play games like this on a pad, thus that's why I recommend medium steering ratios on the pad.

On the wheel I go more or less 13'1:9 for Formula B, and it's enough. Any lower and it becomes too sensitive even for a wheel

hkraft300
14-10-2016, 13:15
yeah I meant steering ratio sorry.

I think 15:1 is high enough for the controller. I'm very good and smooth using the sticks and can go much higher than 15 or 14:1, but I know most of the people have difficulties when they play games like this on a pad, thus that's why I recommend medium steering ratios on the pad.

On the wheel I go more or less 13'1:9 for Formula B, and it's enough. Any lower and it becomes too sensitive even for a wheel

With the DS4 I had it 18:1 for all cars.
With G29 I'm doing ~13.5:1 for GT cars, 12:1 for prototypes and 10-12:1 for open wheel cars depending on track.

Good idea I think is to stick to the same ratio across the board (not too fast to be twitchy, not too slow like a bus) for familiarity and muscle memory.

SkrubzTheNub
15-10-2016, 06:08
Ps4 pad. I was fiddling with the controlls a bit. Your tip of lower steering angle helped a bit.