PDA

View Full Version : Help with how to notice wheel lock and apply right brake pressure

Mizeran
16-10-2016, 09:25
Hello! I'm fairly new to this game and sim racing in general. I struggle with getting my setup right and when I brake I tend to apply full pressure and lock my wheels. Of course many aspects of this but what I would like to know is if there is any good overlay that can aid me in finding the right amount of brake pressure for not locking my wheels and taking every corner with a trail of smoke.

hkraft300
16-10-2016, 10:15
1. Listen for lockup/tyre scrub sound.
2. Increase tyre wear to 7x (in gameplay options), go do some laps and look at the HUD tyre bars when you brake. On some cars like Formula A/B /IndyCar the tyres are soft and you'll see front tyres wear immediately when you lock up.
3. Get a Telemetry app for your laptop/PC/smart device (pcars dash, vrhive). They show tyre slip when you lock up during braking/understeer/oversteer.

wooddylan170
16-10-2016, 10:30
There is no real overlay that can be used to help you stop locking your brakes. It's more of a feel, as well as knowing how to avoid locking up. The general rule is that the faster you go, the more pressure you can apply, but you have to ease off to avoid locking up as you start to slow down.

Also try and avoid using full brake pressure, as this makes locking up easier even if you sacrifice the amount of time it takes to brake.

If you would prefer to not lock up, you can select the ABS option in the settings to avoid this.

Edit: Also do some of what hkraft said

hkraft300
16-10-2016, 10:39
There is no real overlay that can be used to help you stop locking your brakes. It's more of a feel, as well as knowing how to avoid locking up. The general rule is that the faster you go, the more pressure you can apply, but you have to ease off to avoid locking up as you start to slow down.

Also try and avoid using full brake pressure, as this makes locking up easier even if you sacrifice the amount of time it takes to brake.

If you would prefer to not lock up, you can select the ABS option in the settings to avoid this.

Edit: Also do some of what hkraft said

That's important. In car tuning set your brake pressure to ~85% (Formula A can do 95% comfortably while Indy can do 100% and still have poor brakes). That'll give you a bit of time before it starts to lock up as you slow down to below 70/80mph.

PongDong
16-10-2016, 11:54
I reduced sensitivity on breaks from default, I think down to 10 or something.
Then to get aquainted with a car toggle HUD until you see four wheels, and where all tracktion is shown to you as they occur.
On Xbox1 it is on pad left to cycle HUDs, guess PS4 as well - PC no idea.

I also agree with what is said - use audio and listen to sound what kind of grip you have - this is really well matched in game I think and making it authentic in feel.

hkraft300
16-10-2016, 12:16
It'd be a good idea for mizeran to change in his profile what platform/wheel/controller he's using to get better ideas on settings.
On a gamepad I liked a deadzone of 0 and brake sensitivity ~30 and on a wheel with pedals you'd want different brake sensitivity according to the pedals you have.
Also if you're having trouble hearing the tyre noise maybe reduce engine sounds in sound options.

Edit: if you search there'd be some info on ffb settings to improve brake feel through the wheel. Not to my personal taste though.

poirqc
16-10-2016, 13:44
I reduced sensitivity on breaks from default, I think down to 10 or something.
Then to get aquainted with a car toggle HUD until you see four wheels, and where all tracktion is shown to you as they occur.
On Xbox1 it is on pad left to cycle HUDs, guess PS4 as well - PC no idea.

I also agree with what is said - use audio and listen to sound what kind of grip you have - this is really well matched in game I think and making it authentic in feel.

There's one thing to remember about changing brake sensitivity.

The more you lower it(below 50), the more precise it'll be when you brake just a little. At the same time, brake control near 100% input will be alot harder because you'll have less pedal travel there.

If you turn this around, as you move it up(more than 50), you'll be able to be more precise near full brake input. But i'll brake more right away when feathering the brake pedal right away.

So it's about striking a balance between when you brake just a little, to set the car in place. And when you're hard braking approaching a corner.

Mizeran
16-10-2016, 17:07
Thanks for the tips!

I'm playing on a PC with a logitech G920.
My settings are:
Brake deadzone: 7
Brake sensitivity:40

I tried reducing brake sensitivity to 85 (from 90) after reading your tips and I think this helps a little. Currently I mostly race Audi R8 LMS Ultra. More or less stock tuning. I have been experimenting some with brake balance too, but currently have 55 front.

Now I race with stability control on, abs off and traction control off.

Turning on ABS as wooddylan suggest of course helps but this doesn't help me getting the feel for a more analogue than digital brake. But if my settings seem OK I suppose listening to the sound and trying to release brakes a bit slower when speed drops might be the key. I also downloaded pcars profiler and have managed to get it running but havent dug into the telemetry analysis yet.

hkraft300
17-10-2016, 07:41
I'd recommend using TC instead of SC and a brake pressure of ~85%.
I think (I'm not sure, correct me) it'll let the car move a little more when locking, so that may help you feel locking a little better. If my brake bias is too far back and I lock the rears I can feel the car squirm and get loose on the anchors (no assists).

Kelderek
17-10-2016, 09:35
Currently I mostly race Audi R8 LMS Ultra.

Now I race with stability control on, abs off and traction control off.

Audi R8 LMS Ultra has ABS in real life... (All GT3 cars have ABS as well as traction control in real life)

If you chose "Real" in the driving aids settings, you will get ABS on the cars that have it in real life. It will help you with braking as well as giving you the most realism, using the driving aids the cars have in real life.

Mizeran
17-10-2016, 12:20
Audi R8 LMS Ultra has ABS in real life... (All GT3 cars have ABS as well as traction control in real life)

If you chose "Real" in the driving aids settings, you will get ABS on the cars that have it in real life. It will help you with braking as well as giving you the most realism, using the driving aids the cars have in real life.

For my level you are probably right and I don't know how good job the game does at simulating this but from what I know it's more efficient to keep brake pressure just below when locking happens (even though the car is equipped with ABS). My problem is that I don't get a good feel for this and it feels a bit like I'm either applying full brakes or none and it's of course not as noticable when the ABS kicks in as in a real car. But I think I have been giving some good tips for practicing further!

PongDong
17-10-2016, 13:00
There's one thing to remember about changing brake sensitivity.

The more you lower it(below 50), the more precise it'll be when you brake just a little. At the same time, brake control near 100% input will be alot harder because you'll have less pedal travel there.

If you turn this around, as you move it up(more than 50), you'll be able to be more precise near full brake input. But i'll brake more right away when feathering the brake pedal right away.

So it's about striking a balance between when you brake just a little, to set the car in place. And when you're hard braking approaching a corner.
Ok, thanks.
I think I will remove the only assist I use, breaklocking - and experiment a bit.