PDA

View Full Version : Head tracking cursor in VR (Vive)

Dzucker
17-10-2016, 21:39
Hi, I haven't played in a little while and I had my hard drive crash on me so I had to reinstall this game among others. Is the head tracking cursor thing a new feature? Or maybe I had it turned off prior to reinstalling the app. Because I don't recall this feature before. I like really the head tracking part, but the problem is the cursor selects whatever I'm looking at after a few seconds... so friggin annoying!! I have to look away from what I really want to look at when navigating menus and use whatever peripheral vision we have in the Vive. Is this normal, is there a way to keep the head tracking function but to remove the "auto-select" part. I'd prefer using a button on my wheel mapped to the "Enter" key to select a menu option. Also, my mouse cursor no longer works in the menus as I know it used to. I didn't find any options in the game so hoping there's a config file I can edit.

thanks,

jpmmuc
18-10-2016, 21:32
...I like really the head tracking part, but the problem is the cursor selects whatever I'm looking at after a few seconds... so friggin annoying!! I have to look away from what I really want to look at when navigating menus and use whatever peripheral vision we have in the Vive. Is this normal, is there a way to keep the head tracking function but to remove the "auto-select" part. I'd prefer using a button on my wheel mapped to the "Enter" key to select a menu option.
thanks,

I like the idea to select something at looking at it, but the time until it's triggered is way to short. So yes, this is a really annoying behavior, but there is a option in config file to help here :-)

In the file openvrsettings.xml, that can be found in game profile path (usually C:\Users\yourname\Documents\Project CARS),
find the line with the trigger time and change the original value of 1.5s to e.g. 300s:
<prop name="PointerTriggerTime" data="300" />

This prevents triggering anything a after a short time just by looking at them. You can still select objects with gaze but to trigger them you have to use controller button.

Hope it helps :-)

Dzucker
19-10-2016, 05:03
Thanks a lot, this works great. The only problem I have is that it keeps resetting back to 1.5s every now and then. I also noticed that the "recenter at start of race" option also keeps switching back to "no" even though I keep setting it to "yes"

SlowBloke
16-11-2016, 09:34
Is there a way to disable this functionality completely so all I can do is use the mouse and it does not change to the head tracking icon at all ?

It got me royally confused to get back my mouse after a steam invite overlay which meant I had to lose focus of Project Cars on the desktop to try to get my mouse icon back... and then ofcourse Project Cars crashed :P

Id just as soon only have to worry about scrambling for my mouse in the dark :)

Thanks !

GrimeyDog
16-11-2016, 15:44
I was thinking the same thing about the Oculus Rift traking cuser....
Does this work with Culus Rift also?