PDA

View Full Version : New PC build

Marzoom
22-10-2016, 14:27
Sooooo! I almost have a new gaming computer all set up, just waiting for a couple more parts to arrive. I'm kind of excited about it all. Last time I built one must have been roughly 10 years ago, was an Abit board along with AMD 3400 cpu.
Now I have this going on in my old case and what I can almost afford at the moment.
Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB which I got cheaper then the 5.
Intel i5-6600k cpu
EVGA 750W G2 gold psu.
GSkill Ripjaws V 3400 mem, 16 gig.
Two new Noctua 120mm case fans
2 gig 7200rpm HD, SSD in the plans in the near future.
A video card, (EVGA Geoforce 770 oc), which I hope will do till I can afford a better one such as the RX-480.

Waiting for cpu cooler, mainly.
This should do to get me playing with real power instead of Xbox.
Pictures coming soon once I have it all together, very exciting.

DreamsKnight
24-10-2016, 10:35
remember just both the things you planned for future (SSD and better VGA) give you the real "real power". i love step by step upgrades, cause they allow you to understand perfectly the upgrade.

and it's always a joy when someone jump from consoles to pc world. welcome! :D

Marzoom
04-11-2016, 12:03
Just about done though have all the main things up and running. I updated my GPU to the EVGA 1070 ACX 3.0 black edition, install a SSD and just waiting for a few accessories to update my old Midi Tower 6A case.
I should be playing PCars this weekend via PC instead of console, hopefully without issues.

Just for kicks I got P17425 on 3DMark11 which I take it is not bad. CPU overclock at 4400GHz.

cluck
04-11-2016, 12:24
Sooooo! I almost have a new gaming computer all set up, just waiting for a couple more parts to arrive. I'm kind of excited about it all. Last time I built one must have been roughly 10 years ago, was an Abit board along with AMD 3400 cpu.
Now I have this going on in my old case and what I can almost afford at the moment.
Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB which I got cheaper then the 5.
Intel i5-6600k cpu
EVGA 750W G2 gold psu.
GSkill Ripjaws V 3400 mem, 16 gig.
Two new Noctua 120mm case fans
*** 2 gig 7200rpm HD, SSD in the plans in the near future. ***
A video card, (EVGA Geoforce 770 oc), which I hope will do till I can afford a better one such as the RX-480.

Waiting for cpu cooler, mainly.
This should do to get me playing with real power instead of Xbox.
Pictures coming soon once I have it all together, very exciting.Think you might struggle with a hard drive of that size these days :o

(I'm just pulling your leg, I know you meant 2TB)

Bealdor
04-11-2016, 12:28
...I updated my GPU to the EVGA 1070 ACX 3.0 black edition...

Just FYI: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evga-gtx-10701080-cards-almost-all-of-them-have-overheating-issues.html

(That issue came up on another forum that I visit from time to time...)

Marzoom
04-11-2016, 13:07
I know about the issue and EVga released a bios update plus it's not all cards that have that issues. My card seems to run fine but then I just installed it so it hasn't been through the wringer yet.

Marzoom
04-11-2016, 13:08
Think you might struggle with a hard drive of that size these days :o

I can always add on so no big deal.

Haiden
04-11-2016, 15:56
Think you might struggle with a hard drive of that size these days :o

Ha! 2GB is actually the size of the hard drive in desktop computer I bought, back in 1997. The funny thing is, all of my friends were so impressed, and saying things like, "Jesus, dude. You'll never run out of room with that thing." ROFL. Man how times change. :)

cluck
04-11-2016, 16:13
My first hard drive was ..... 32MB and was on an 8-bit ISA card, purchased for an Amstrad 1512. It cost nearly 300, not much less than 30 years ago. You kids today, you don't know you're born :p.

FS7
04-11-2016, 16:15
That's nice!
I bought a pc a few months ago and put all my console stuff for sale. I replaced the stock psu with a EVGA 430W and installed a GTX 750 Ti graphics card. It's not a high end machine (i5 4460 @ 3.2GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD) but it runs games better than my PS4 did at 1080p60fps.

Haiden
04-11-2016, 16:53
I switched to PC a few months ago. Once I got everything setup, I loaded up PCars, played for about 5 mins, and started kicking myself for not making the switch sooner. It's not just the graphics, either.

Haiden
04-11-2016, 16:54
My first hard drive was ..... 32MB and was on an 8-bit ISA card, purchased for an Amstrad 1512. It cost nearly 300, not much less than 30 years ago. You kids today, you don't know you're born :p.

So then you must remember starting a 10MB download at 11:00 PM, and then going to bed, hoping it would be done in the morning. :)

Roger Prynne
04-11-2016, 17:00
So then you must remember starting a 10MB download at 11:00 PM, and then going to bed, hoping it would be done in the morning. :)

More like a week :hopelessness:

FS7
04-11-2016, 17:02
I switched to PC a few months ago. Once I got everything setup, I loaded up PCars, played for about 5 mins, and started kicking myself for not making the switch sooner. It's not just the graphics, either.
True, imo custom liveries are a nice addition, also the loading times on pc are way better than on PS4. The game loads so fast on my pc I don't even have time to go to the kitchen get a drink before the race starts :P

cluck
04-11-2016, 20:00
So then you must remember starting a 10MB download at 11:00 PM, and then going to bed, hoping it would be done in the morning. :)Nope, I rarely downloaded games or demos or such back then, mostly because it was so painfully slow with a 2400-baud modem - the very fastest available back then was 9600 baud, but they cost a small fortune in comparison. Oh the joys of dialling up to a BBS in the US and taking 8 hours, across multiple evenings, to download the updates to my soundcard software - the 100+ phone bill didn't go down too well with the parents :D.

Roger Prynne
04-11-2016, 21:10
I remember downloading a film with a 56k modem taking quite a few days.:dispirited:

cluck
04-11-2016, 21:18
I remember downloading a film with a 56k modem taking quite a few days.:dispirited:Serves you right, filthy pirate :p :D

Roger Prynne
04-11-2016, 21:59
That was part of my misspent youth :hororr:

Marzoom
04-11-2016, 23:32
LOL too funny you guys. I remember those times...yeah I ain't no spring chicken either.

Marzoom
05-11-2016, 05:17
Just tried Forza 6 since I somehow have it already install in the computer and getting 60 FPS. Game froze into my 4th or 5th race so not sure whether its a game glitch or not.

Marzoom
06-11-2016, 00:10
This is fantastic, just tried PCars and getting over 200fps during the little bit I tried with a controller. Think it is time to setup up my racing rig but ...I can't seem to get sound out of my 55inch TV via HDMI. Must be a setting somewhere I need to toggle on.
I'm pretty excited so far, man I wish I had triple screens now but that will be later on in life.

Riccardo De Rosa
06-11-2016, 07:47
...I can't seem to get sound out of my 55inch TV via HDMI. Must be a setting somewhere I need to toggle on.

you need to select nvidia hdmi audio output.

Marzoom
06-11-2016, 13:08
My TV is connected via one of the display ports via a display to HDMI adapter. Do display ports output audio? Think that is why no sound.

Roger Prynne
06-11-2016, 13:34
It should output audio if it's like one of these.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-displayport-to-hdmi-adapter-a31qh

Haiden
06-11-2016, 13:55
This is fantastic, just tried PCars and getting over 200fps during the little bit I tried with a controller. Think it is time to setup up my racing rig but ...I can't seem to get sound out of my 55inch TV via HDMI. Must be a setting somewhere I need to toggle on.
I'm pretty excited so far, man I wish I had triple screens now but that will be later on in life.

You may have to select the audio device. My TV shows up as an output device in the audio playback options, in addition to the regular speaker output from the sound card.

Marzoom
06-11-2016, 14:55
It should output audio if it's like one of these.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-displayport-to-hdmi-adapter-a31qh

That is what I have though not that brand.

Marzoom
06-11-2016, 15:00
You may have to select the audio device. My TV shows up as an output device in the audio playback options, in addition to the regular speaker output from the sound card.

I just need to to get into my settings and set it up, just been testing the whole system so far. Now I wish I could transfer all my accomplishments for PCars on Xbox to PC so that I don't have too restart from the begining in Career mode. Is that even possible?

Roger Prynne
06-11-2016, 15:03
I just need to to get into my settings and set it up, just been testing the whole system so far. Now I wish I could transfer all my accomplishments for PCars on Xbox to PC so that I don't have too restart from the begining in Career mode. Is that even possible?

Afraid not mate.

Marzoom
06-11-2016, 15:14
Yeah that's what I thought also. Played Gears of War 4 for about 5 mins, checked my temps, vid card went up to 76 degrees C which is still safe so will play with fan settings also. It's an old case I am using, updated with all new hardware and first build in over 10 years. Things have change a lot since then. My last built before that was with Abit NF7s MB, that thing was loud.

Marzoom
06-11-2016, 16:27
Just waiting for a couple more hardware pieces to arrive and a bit of cable management and it should be all good.

Sorry about the sideway picture, not sure why it's showing up that way nor how to fix it.

Marzoom
10-11-2016, 05:25
Looks like I will need to invest in a better full ATX air cool case but don't know what to get. Looked at the Roswill Thor2 but that's kind of overkill for what I need. There's the CoolerMaster Mastercase Pro5 or maybe the Haf XB Evo but I don't know.

Any suggestions on a case meant for air cooling? Not really interested in water cooling at the moment.

Or should I mod my case such as cutting a hole in the side panel and add a fan there?

wombat666
10-11-2016, 06:32
Corsair Carbide Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case.

Not expensive and a very clever design, I'm using one for my backup unit and it is great!
Only thing to dislike, probably too much plastic in the build but I'm not complaining as it means I can move it around without getting a hernia!
My COSMOS II weighs in at 20+KG EMPTY, this Carbide Air is around 5KG.
It might be superseded by now but at around A$190.00 or so it is a pretty good buy.