PDA

View Full Version : What exactly makes importing liveries on console impossible?

Doge
04-11-2016, 14:54
What the title says. The rest of the family plays PES, and I gave it a go today. I remember the game didnīt have the license for Spanish Liga, but to my surprise I was playing a game with all the right uniforms, team names, etc.

When I asked about that, I was told there are patches you can download and then import from a USB through an option inside the game menus, to go around the restrictions with the PS4 and USB devices. What stops you from doing the same with custom liveries?

Mahjik
04-11-2016, 17:17
I don't know that anyone knows for sure. However, it's possible the code that looks for "skins" in the folder structure is not exported for the console builds. The only real way to find out is to see if the console folder structure is the same as PC, then see if you can place a custom skin in the same location as the PC to see if it's picked up.

I'm honestly not sure it would be that useful since without PC mods, you can only have one skin per car in place (and it would only work for offline play).

Doge
05-11-2016, 11:30
I don't know that anyone knows for sure. However, it's possible the code that looks for "skins" in the folder structure is not exported for the console builds. The only real way to find out is to see if the console folder structure is the same as PC, then see if you can place a custom skin in the same location as the PC to see if it's picked up.

I'm honestly not sure it would be that useful since without PC mods, you can only have one skin per car in place (and it would only work for offline play).

Would still be cool.

Anyway the main thing here is that everyone says you canīt have this on consoles because of the way PS4 treats USB pendrives, and I always believed it, but if Konami can throw inside the game menus an option to import all sorts of archives, surely you can too if you wanted. The guys have made it around the PS4 pickyness with USB devices, and they arenīt even worried about copyright issues, they brush it aside with a message saying "itīs not our responsability what modders create".

Mahjik
05-11-2016, 16:02
Anyway the main thing here is that everyone says you canīt have this on consoles because of the way PS4 treats USB pendrives, and I always believed it, but if Konami can throw inside the game menus an option to import all sorts of archives, surely you can too if you wanted. The guys have made it around the PS4 pickyness with USB devices, and they arenīt even worried about copyright issues, they brush it aside with a message saying "itīs not our responsability what modders create".

Konami is a huge conglomerate. There are a lot more liberties that large companies can get away with that smaller companies cannot. Even if Sony went after them, they have the money to keep the complaints in litigations for years. A smaller company won't have the pockets to do so.

Doge
06-11-2016, 14:58
Konami is a huge conglomerate. There are a lot more liberties that large companies can get away with that smaller companies cannot. Even if Sony went after them, they have the money to keep the complaints in litigations for years. A smaller company won't have the pockets to do so.

Thing is they donīt have to worry about it. Theyīve been doing it for years.

In the PS3 days it would be done through the PS menu, now they canīt, they simply created an in game menu to load that stuff. Sony doesnīt care as it canīt load copyrighted music or movies, just image files that fill a template. Copyright holders for unlicensed teams donīt do anything either as itīs all user created content.

You should look at the first part, loading liveries created with a PC from a pendrive is perfectly possible in a console. Make it happen.

FS7
06-11-2016, 17:24
UT3 did mods on PS3 back in 2008, one could load mods either with a usb drive or using the console's internet browser.
It's not a technical issue, it can be done but most likely Sony & Microsoft don't want mods in their consoles and want to have control over content in their consoles.

Aizcold
13-11-2016, 14:32
UT3 did mods on PS3 back in 2008, one could load mods either with a usb drive or using the console's internet browser.
It's not a technical issue, it can be done but most likely Sony & Microsoft don't want mods in their consoles and want to have control over content in their consoles.

Fallout 4 has mod support on console now. So it's certainly possible to have mods on PS4.

It would be great to have a way to either create custom liveries or, if that's too much work, import custom liveries that were created on a PC in Project Cars 2. It would add a lot to the game. I understand that a livery editor might be a lot of work to make and that is time that could be put into other parts of the game, but a feature such as in Pro Evolution Soccer would be amazing to have. Especially considering how awesome some of the liveries are that the PC community makes.