PDA

View Full Version : QoS and Hosting/Playing Pcars

Saloei
04-11-2016, 20:04
Would Windows network service called QoS(Quality of Service) affect hosting a Mulitplayer or just a simple multiplayer game?

Mahjik
04-11-2016, 21:25
It all depends on what QoS is monitoring. Typically, you need to configure what the router is inspecting for QoS. Most home routers aren't usually powerful enough to make QoS useful. However, if QoS is configured to make say video or VoIP a higher priority, it could deprioritize anything else (which could affect online gaming).

poirqc
05-11-2016, 01:43
Would Windows network service called QoS(Quality of Service) affect hosting a Mulitplayer or just a simple multiplayer game?

I host server fairly often without problems on a 40/10 cable connection. If other family members use your internet connection at the same time as you host the server, it may affect you depending on the workload they use.

If that's the case, maybe your home routeur can handle Gargoyle (https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/lib/exe/detail.php?id=screenshots&media=screenshots:15_qos_1.jpg). Basically, it's OpenWrt with some custom packages. You can setup QoS based on lots of metrics.

A while ago(changed router in the meantime, didn't need the rules anymore), i was able to setup it where i had great results. I could saturate my link and my ping would just move a couple ms in the games i played.