PDA

View Full Version : How do I reset the game to select difficulty?

bm96
12-11-2016, 22:57
The first time I installed the game I eagerly selected the most advanced level of difficulty... :nonchalance: Is there any way I can go back?

I am using Steam and tried deleting "local files" by right clicking on the name of the game, which made me re-install the game though it never brought me back to that original prompt. Any ideas?

Zpectre87
12-11-2016, 23:49
You can't do that without deleting your profile, but it doesn't matter because all the difficulty levels do is set the default assists, which you can always change in the options menu. This game has no difference in physics between Novice, Intermediate and Pro modes.

Besides, starting with Pro is better because the leaderboard tracks your choice in the rankings (for some stupid reason because it makes no difference) and Pro makes you look more l33t. :D

BullWinkle
13-11-2016, 00:09
You can delete your default.sav file located here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\YourID\234630\local\project cars\profiles
This will reset the game so you have to start all over, all your career/awards/accolades/vehicle settings/controller settings, etc will be gone. You will have to remap/re-calibrate your wheel/controller again. If you don't wish to go that far, Zpectre87's advice to change it in the options menu may be your better choice.
:)

Gamingoneasy
13-11-2016, 01:31
The first time I installed the game I eagerly selected the most advanced level of difficulty... :nonchalance: Is there any way I can go back?

I am using Steam and tried deleting "local files" by right clicking on the name of the game, which made me re-install the game though it never brought me back to that original prompt. Any ideas?

Changing difficulty isn't as hard as you think, before you start any race or race weekend after you click "move to this day" on the calender on the page you get taken to, at the bottom of the screen, the option to change AI difficulty is on a small sliding gauge just below race distance percentage. This is in a small light red font and if your TV brightness is to high its easily missed.

I missed this for days too.

The amount of posts concerning this matter shows were not the only ones.

Hope this helps. At least you don't have to delete all your progress...

bm96
13-11-2016, 02:43
You can't do that without deleting your profile, but it doesn't matter because all the difficulty levels do is set the default assists, which you can always change in the options menu. This game has no difference in physics between Novice, Intermediate and Pro modes.

Besides, starting with Pro is better because the leaderboard tracks your choice in the rankings (for some stupid reason because it makes no difference) and Pro makes you look more l33t. :D

This will reset the game so you have to start all over, all your career/awards/accolades/vehicle settings/controller settings, etc will be gone. You will have to remap/re-calibrate your wheel/controller again. If you don't wish to go that far, Zpectre87's advice to change it in the options menu may be your better choice.
:)

Could not find that folder location you were talking about. I just removed my whole pCars folder and had to re-install the game... and still brings me back to my login screen. I'm fine with deleting my account, I literally just created it so it's no biggie. The settings are enormously extensive with this game. I have no idea what the default settings are so I wouldn't know how to set them. The only two that I saw and changed were traction control and steering assist... but those seemed to not help.

Changing difficulty isn't as hard as you think, before you start any race or race weekend after you click "move to this day" on the calender on the page you get taken to, at the bottom of the screen, the option to change AI difficulty is on a small sliding gauge just below race distance percentage. This is in a small light red font and if your TV brightness is to high its easily missed.

I missed this for days too.

The amount of posts concerning this matter shows were not the only ones.

Hope this helps. At least you don't have to delete all your progress...

I couldn't find what you're talking about. I do see the "opponent skill" slider but that doesn't help with all other factors.

wooddylan170
13-11-2016, 06:32
Ok so difficulty is related to 2 things: Assists and AI difficulty. Changing these variables will determine how hard the game is to what you play.

In terms of assists you have the gameplay assists, as shown in the photo below:

If you go into controls you can set whether you use a automatic or manual gearbox.

If you watch the first 7 seconds of this video you can see how I change the AI difficulty from 50% to 70%. This mainly comes down to what you feel comfortable with. I was using a controller and if you watch the whole video you can see how easy the AI were (something I was surprised by-I won by 40 seconds)
https://youtu.be/-9eO-w5wTFE

If you want more of a challenge, increase the AI %, decrease for less of a challenge.

In conclusion the difficulty comes down to how you set your controls and assists, as well as the difficulty of the AI. How you change the difficulty is dependant on those variables.

Note: For the hardest difficulty disable all assists, run full and mechanical damage, fuel use and tyre wear, manual gearbox and set AI % to 100. For the easiest difficulty enable all assists, no damage, fuel use or tyre wear, automatic gearbox and AI % to 0.

bm96
14-11-2016, 00:23
Ok so difficulty is related to 2 things: Assists and AI difficulty. Changing these variables will determine how hard the game is to what you play.

In terms of assists you have the gameplay assists, as shown in the photo below:

If you go into controls you can set whether you use a automatic or manual gearbox.

If you watch the first 7 seconds of this video you can see how I change the AI difficulty from 50% to 70%. This mainly comes down to what you feel comfortable with. I was using a controller and if you watch the whole video you can see how easy the AI were (something I was surprised by-I won by 40 seconds)

If you want more of a challenge, increase the AI %, decrease for less of a challenge.

In conclusion the difficulty comes down to how you set your controls and assists, as well as the difficulty of the AI. How you change the difficulty is dependant on those variables.

Note: For the hardest difficulty disable all assists, run full and mechanical damage, fuel use and tyre wear, manual gearbox and set AI % to 100. For the easiest difficulty enable all assists, no damage, fuel use or tyre wear, automatic gearbox and AI % to 0.

Thanks for the explanation, this is more clear and I adjusted what I can see. I still wonder if there is any way to reset to that main setting that they give you. I'm just curious of the hidden settings and factors that we may not see or can't adjust, but who knows, it doesn't look like they want to give the user an option to reset back anyway..... thanks again

wooddylan170
14-11-2016, 05:18
Glad to help.

I still wonder if there is any way to reset to that main setting that they give you. I'm just curious of the hidden settings and factors that we may not see or can't adjust, but who knows, it doesn't look like they want to give the user an option to reset back anyway
No you can't without doing a whole game reset. In any case it's only assists that are enabled (lowest=all assists on, medium=some assists enabled, highest=majority of assists disabled). Essentially if you choose one by mistake you can just change the settings to your preference.

bm96
14-11-2016, 08:38
No you can't without doing a whole game reset. In any case it's only assists that are enabled (lowest=all assists on, medium=some assists enabled, highest=majority of assists disabled). Essentially if you choose one by mistake you can just change the settings to your preference.

I'm not judging your intelligence but how do you know for a fact it's only the assists that are enabled? Also if a whole game reset is an option how can I do that?

cluck
14-11-2016, 09:04

Could not find that folder location you were talking about. I just removed my whole pCars folder and had to re-install the game... and still brings me back to my login screenIf you have multiple hard drives and Steam is installed on a different drive to C:, then look on that drive instead. The default.sav file will be in that location. It is worth nothing that you should also disable Steam's 'cloud sync' before you delete the file, or it might well restore it the next time you start the game.

As for the options themselves, what exactly would you think they would change that are 'hidden'? The physics and tyre model are the same, no matter what options you select.

wooddylan170
14-11-2016, 09:52
I'm not judging your intelligence but how do you know for a fact it's only the assists that are enabled? Also if a whole game reset is an option how can I do that?
Well I played the game and then it somehow got deleted, so I had to rebuy and reinstall. I chose novice that time round, but when I reinstalled it I choose Pro. All that changed was the assists. That's all it is quite simply.

Zpectre87
14-11-2016, 11:23

Dev's word on it. Look around in this forum and you'll find it.