PDA

View Full Version : McLaren F1 GTR vs. Mercedes CLK LM

Synystr
15-11-2016, 16:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGelFtaVq9s

Surprising result! It seems the McLaren is faster in a straight line, but the Merc makes it up in the corners.

Default Setups.
Drove with whatever fuel was in the tank.
2 laps of warming the car up.
1 Quick lap.

Also... I somehow managed to this close with 3 laps a piece between two cars... Lemme pat myself on the back.

Zpectre87
15-11-2016, 17:48
I loved your video!

The CLK-LM should be "better", if you know the history of the car. It was a car that pushed the boundaries of the rules of the class it raced in, basically a prototype, whereas the McLaren was a very heavily modified road car. So the Merc will always have the advantage since it's a better chassis, although the McLaren's engine is better.

If it was the V12-powered CLK-GTR, though, I believe the McLaren would've been walked over. That car was incredibly dominant in its class.

I love these cars, and hope they make a comeback in pCARS 2, hopefully with the 911 GT1 alongside them. These are the racing cars from my childhood.

Synystr
15-11-2016, 18:11
I loved your video!

The CLK-LM should be "better", if you know the history of the car. It was a car that pushed the boundaries of the rules of the class it raced in, basically a prototype, whereas the McLaren was a very heavily modified road car. So the Merc will always have the advantage since it's a better chassis, although the McLaren's engine is better.

If it was the V12-powered CLK-GTR, though, I believe the McLaren would've been walked over. That car was incredibly dominant in its class.

I love these cars, and hope they make a comeback in pCARS 2, hopefully with the 911 GT1 alongside them. These are the racing cars from my childhood.

I enjoyed doing this. Is there any other two cars you'd like me to compare? haha

Zpectre87
15-11-2016, 19:02
I have no idea because there's not many classes in the game with only two cars. Usually I go by the leaderboards, but the top times for the less popular car/track combos are always a little off compared to what the aliens can really do. For example, in GT4 all the top racers drive the Ginetta, because it's the fastest car, and there's not much point in driving the other cars competitively.

Perhaps try the Ford MkIV and the Lotus Type 40 if you're into the really old school stuff, haha.

Synystr
15-11-2016, 19:22
I have no idea because there's not many classes in the game with only two cars. Usually I go by the leaderboards, but the top times for the less popular car/track combos are always a little off compared to what the aliens can really do. For example, in GT4 all the top racers drive the Ginetta, because it's the fastest car, and there's not much point in driving the other cars competitively.

Perhaps try the Ford MkIV and the Lotus Type 40 if you're into the really old school stuff, haha.

Sure but what this COULD tell you is where your car is strongest and where it needs to be tuned to be competitive. The reason I did this originally was to see how far off the Merc was to the McLaren for my league because I had done a mixed race with these two and the McLaren seemed to be much faster... turns out that doesn't seem to be the case when I drive both.

Also, keep in mind that these were with default setups. The Toyota LMP1 is much slower than the RWD for example with default setups but when tuned correctly its OP.

Ehhh... I really don't like those two to be honest haha. I find them spongy. And it doesn't have to be just TWO car classes. For example, since we're picking two cars for our league, we could test two cars from bigger classes like GT3. McLaren vs Corvette for example?

hkraft300
15-11-2016, 20:06
First time I saw the Mercedes CLK was 1998 F1 GP. Mark Webber did a few demo laps of Albert Park. Glowing brake discs and all. It was love at first sight.
Reckon the homolagation road cars spawned from GT1 were the original hypercars.
Anyway, the McLaren originally I believe raced with a smaller restrictor and different brakes than what is found in game. Default setup you will see the restrictor option isn't fully open. Developers allowed it to make the McLaren competitive with the CLK!
Also the V8 CLK is the Le Mans Spec car I think (Sauber C9 -turbos) and/or the more successful/competitive than V12?

You know what you could also compare: Bentley Speed 8 vs Audi R8 ;)

Zpectre87
15-11-2016, 20:14
Yeah I think LMP900 would be nice to compare. Bear in mind the Bimmer is around 2 secs slower though. :D

hkraft300
15-11-2016, 20:33
Yeah I think LMP900 would be nice to compare. Bear in mind the Bimmer is around 2 secs slower though. :D

But it sounds better while it's at it.
Possible a good setup might close that gap. I have to yet try it with full df to see what it can do. It has low drag + df and even with significant power deficit, outruns the other 2 down Mulsanne.

Zpectre87
15-11-2016, 20:46
Possible a good setup might close that gap. I have to yet try it with full df to see what it can do. It has low drag + df and even with significant power deficit, outruns the other 2 down Mulsanne.

Yeah I definitely like the LMR's sound a lot better!

That Ruapuna invitational really frustrated me, though. Fog + rain + sunset + a prototype with 600 bhp and no TC = not fun. :D

Synystr
15-11-2016, 21:40

The whole point of this, I feel, is to see where the cars need work using the default setup and where it is on the track. Comparing speeds and sector times this way is easy to see.

I'm using Zolder because its a well rounded circuit and short. Its got bumps, elevation, camber, chicanes.

hkraft300
15-11-2016, 22:13
Zolder is difficult in the Radicals and LMP2s. Good luck with P900/1!
That Ruapuna invite is horrible. That track is far too small for those cars and they hate the bumps. Proper challenge.
Default setup in most cars are good at tracks with variety. Defaults are made to be useable in most tracks.
Where you have extremes, like high speed Monza/La Sarthe/Spa/Road America the defaults fall behind.

McKiernan
16-11-2016, 14:53
I wonder how these cars would compare on other tracks to, would be interesting to see what tracks each car is stronger.