PDA

View Full Version : multiplayer comparison to assetto corsa?

Jynn
16-11-2016, 10:22
For those who have both, how would you compare the multiplayer in terms of race availability and diversity, and how clean the driving is. Eg in assetto corsa there are mino-rated servers which automatically ban the wreckers, is there anything similar in project cars? Any stats based servers or anything resembling an Iracing type system?

cluck
16-11-2016, 11:00
For those who have both, how would you compare the multiplayer in terms of race availability and diversity, and how clean the driving is. Eg in assetto corsa there are mino-rated servers which automatically ban the wreckers, is there anything similar in project cars? Any stats based servers or anything resembling an Iracing type system?The MP aspect consists of 2 aspects really :-

1. Public lobbies, which are pretty much a free-for-all. It is possible to kick players from the lobby if they are causing a nuisance but it's a manual process
2. Private lobbies, which are password protected. You'll tend to find groups of friends and/or leagues generally run private lobbies as it allows them to keep control of who can enter.

There are no stats-based servers (or stats recorded at all) in pCARS1.

EDIT : Not every public lobby is going to be a wreck-fest though, but there is no control of who can enter or leave so there is always going to be a risk of somebody being a bit of a prat :(.

EDIT : Also, the above applies to a vanilla setup of Project CARS. There are (were?) some servers running something called autostew (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?46276-Autostew-making-online-racing-fun!-(WORK-IN-PROGRESS)-(PC-only)) and hamsterstew (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?48184-HamsterStew-–-Autostew-remade) (which is based on autostew), which tracks driving performance or some such but I've never used it to know how it worked, I just read about it in passing on here.

Jynn
16-11-2016, 11:29
Thanks Cluck, and in terms of track/car diversity do the servers run a track rotation or is there also a plague of 'GT3's on Spa and that's all there is' type syndrome?

cluck
16-11-2016, 11:44
Depends on the hosts. GT3 is by far the most common car class but there are usually other lobbies up running various vehicles. If you want real variety, your best bet is to create your own lobby but don't be surprised if people don't join it - for some, there might as well be nothing but GT3 cars in the game.

I race with a league (RevolutionSimRacing) and it's pretty much a different car and different track every race. The fun night, last night, for example started with the Caterham SP300R at Circuit de Catalunya National, moving on to the Megane V6 Trophy at Hockenheim National, at which point I left to get some food.

Jynn
16-11-2016, 12:17
great thanks, gonna keep a watch on for when PC comes on sale.

Roger Prynne
16-11-2016, 12:28
great thanks, gonna keep a watch on for when PC comes on sale.

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/project-cars-limited-edition-pc-cd-key-steam?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=gs_uk&utm_content=5050013378967LTD&utm_term=project_cars_limited_edition_pc&gclid=CjwKEAiApLDBBRC8oICb9NvKsg0SJAD9yOHseaJUMCBI87ep_fun0JXShWsk9_jb6qnZUTwSgNi9RhoCGfLw_wcB

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KL32DE2/

or ask Father Christmas...... :biggrin-new:

Jynn
16-11-2016, 13:18
mm, not bad at all.

SlowBloke
16-11-2016, 13:42
Depends on the hosts. GT3 is by far the most common car class but there are usually other lobbies up running various vehicles. If you want real variety, your best bet is to create your own lobby but don't be surprised if people don't join it - for some, there might as well be nothing but GT3 cars in the game.

I race with a league (RevolutionSimRacing) and it's pretty much a different car and different track every race. The fun night, last night, for example started with the Caterham SP300R at Circuit de Catalunya National, moving on to the Megane V6 Trophy at Hockenheim National, at which point I left to get some food.

You missed out on the best race Cluck - BAC Mono at Oulton Park Fosters was epic fun :)

Zpectre87
16-11-2016, 14:24

Yeah, it saddens me a little that most people run GT3 online. That's not even 10% of what this game has to offer. :(

Then again, if you run some classes like GT4, all you'll get are Ginettas, because they handily outperform the competition... Fair, because everyone wants a shot at winning and using something like the Mustang (which isn't even a bad car at all but can't keep up with the Ginetta) is just asking for a handicap, but boring all the same.

Jynn
16-11-2016, 15:03
Looking at the difference between GOTY edition and standard, are a lot of MP servers using DLC that i then won't be able to join if I buy standard edition? Does the DLC also include extra single player career opportunities or is it kind of like 'here's some new cars, go do a quick race or something if you want'. (as assetto corsa does)

Charger
16-11-2016, 17:05
If the server sets a DLC car you will be able to use it as it's down to the host, only one person needs to own it who is hosting the server.

ONT
16-11-2016, 17:24
If the server sets a DLC car you will be able to use it as it's down to the host, only one person needs to own it who is hosting the server.

That is a really good deal for customers :)

But sort off nut's financially if You ask me lol....no wonder there studio is called SLIGHTLY MAD :)

Zpectre87
16-11-2016, 18:18
Looking at the difference between GOTY edition and standard, are a lot of MP servers using DLC that i then won't be able to join if I buy standard edition? Does the DLC also include extra single player career opportunities or is it kind of like 'here's some new cars, go do a quick race or something if you want'. (as assetto corsa does)

Yes it does. You get contracts to drive for teams that run DLC-only cars, and there are DLC-exclusive events like the Ruapuna invitationals (which you get when you buy the Audi DLC). This is a much better situation than GRID Autosport for example... In GRID Autosport the DLC cars can only be used in quick race and online, and have no custom liveries.

Jynn
16-11-2016, 21:07

wow, what a stark contrast to assetto corsa. In AC, if you own the track and the entire GT3 field but for 1 car, you cannot choose a car you own and race. It's insane!

hkraft300
16-11-2016, 21:11
Don't waste your time.
Just get your filthy nomex on that GOTY edition.

Gpruitt54
19-11-2016, 05:19
This is a great question and a timely one. I've been away from PC for about a year. I bought PC when it was initially released. I admit that it is a beautiful looking game/sim. Although the cars default setups are like the tires are made of grease. But that is topic for another separate thread. Anyway, I was fed up with the sheer number of ass holes in PC multiplayer sessions. One could race online for an entire evening and in different race events, and every one of those sessions would be rife with crashers, dirty racers, people setting on the side of the road and pulling onto the race line for fun. It is like nothing I have ever seen. Maddening! So, I paid for an iRacing membership and bought Assetto Corsa. This week I returned to PC after a year away from it, and guess what, the same BS is still thriving in the PC multiplayer public races. For the last two evenings, I raced in at least 15 public races, and it seemed like nothing had changed. Crashers, people pulling into the racing line, deliberate pile ups at the starting grid. Kids, I am assuming. Maddening! No one ever gets kicked from the game. I wish the developers would build into the online gaming, some means of auto kicking those clearly involved in childish behavior.

Assetto Corsa has a multiplayer mode. I believe it is populated with good races and various types of cars are represented. For the times I have participated in AC online races, the field of races were pretty big. In my opinion, the public races in AC are more about the race and less about the jerks and trolls. It is fun, online racing more alone the lines of what I find in iRacing. Mostly clean races and racers. Also, you at least drive the cars in their default settups. Yes, you can make all the changes to chassis, aero, tires, etc, but you can drive the cars without having to first becoming a steering geometry mechanic.

poirqc
19-11-2016, 12:24
Yeah, it saddens me a little that most people run GT3 online. That's not even 10% of what this game has to offer. :(

Then again, if you run some classes like GT4, all you'll get are Ginettas, because they handily outperform the competition... Fair, because everyone wants a shot at winning and using something like the Mustang (which isn't even a bad car at all but can't keep up with the Ginetta) is just asking for a handicap, but boring all the same.

The boss mustang is so much fun to drive. With enough practice in it, you can keep up with the other GT4 quite well! ;)

This is a great question and a timely one. I've been away from PC for about a year. I bought PC when it was initially released. I admit that it is a beautiful looking game/sim. Although the cars default setups are like the tires are made of grease. But that is topic for another separate thread. Anyway, I was fed up with the sheer number of ass holes in PC multiplayer sessions. One could race online for an entire evening and in different race events, and every one of those sessions would be rife with crashers, dirty racers, people setting on the side of the road and pulling onto the race line for fun. It is like nothing I have ever seen. Maddening! So, I paid for an iRacing membership and bought Assetto Corsa. This week I returned to PC after a year away from it, and guess what, the same BS is still thriving in the PC multiplayer public races. For the last two evenings, I raced in at least 15 public races, and it seemed like nothing had changed. Crashers, people pulling into the racing line, deliberate pile ups at the starting grid. Kids, I am assuming. Maddening! No one ever gets kicked from the game. I wish the developers would build into the online gaming, some means of auto kicking those clearly involved in childish behavior.

Assetto Corsa has a multiplayer mode. I believe it is populated with good races and various types of cars are represented. For the times I have participated in AC online races, the field of races were pretty big. In my opinion, the public races in AC are more about the race and less about the jerks and trolls. It is fun, online racing more alone the lines of what I find in iRacing. Mostly clean races and racers. Also, you at least drive the cars in their default settups. Yes, you can make all the changes to chassis, aero, tires, etc, but you can drive the cars without having to first becoming a steering geometry mechanic.

I almost only create public lobbies. Wrecking happends, for sure. But most of the time, most racers are clean and it produce great races. Granted, i've build a friend list over time, and my public lobbies are mixed with some from my friend list. I have to say i never create GT3 server. There's enough already.

In essence public mp lobbies in pCars can work.

GrimeyDog
19-11-2016, 21:00
The Mustang VS Ginetta Races i have had with Poirqc are Epic...to say the Least!!!

The Ginetta is actually the Slowest Car out of the GT4 cars... It just Corners Good... Its Requires alotta Focus to keep your speed up in Corners on Tracks with Long Straights... Once that Mustang Gets any Draft from you it will Quickly Pass you or Be right there setting up up fir a Pass!!! You Really gotta keep Calm 1 mistake and its over... The GT4 BMW Has walked away from Me in the Gietta on Many Many Straights... Even when i get a Draft in the Gunetta it just doesnt Have enough to Walk by the Cars with Faster Straight line speed... Its only advantage is its Cornerings speed and when racing some one like Poirqc who knows how to Race Cornering speed is just Not Enough.

Zpectre87
20-11-2016, 00:09
The Mustang VS Ginetta Races i have had with Poirqc are Epic...to say the Least!!!

The Ginetta is actually the Slowest Car out of the GT4 cars... It just Corners Good... Its Requires alotta Focus to keep your speed up in Corners on Tracks with Long Straights... Once that Mustang Gets any Draft from you it will Quickly Pass you or Be right there setting up up fir a Pass!!! You Really gotta keep Calm 1 mistake and its over... The GT4 BMW Has walked away from Me in the Gietta on Many Many Straights... Even when i get a Draft in the Gunetta it just doesnt Have enough to Walk by the Cars with Faster Straight line speed... Its only advantage is its Cornerings speed and when racing some one like Poirqc who knows how to Race Cornering speed is just Not Enough.

So that's why I was pulling away from the Ginettas in the Bimmer! They were gutless on the straights, lol. The AI was defenseless against me at Imola, as the M3 simply had so much more oomph.

I imagine the Mustang is even faster since the Boss engine is more powerful than the M3's.