PDA

View Full Version : [RESOLVED] New Supersampling patch PROBLEMS

Alien Identity
22-11-2016, 12:25
So I just tried to use the new Supersampling method, but the openvrsettings file is not in the location shown in the patch notes, so I can't use the new Supersampling method. Below are the patch notes:

"Project CARS - PC Patch 11.2
22 NOVEMBER - STEPHEN VILJOEN
Project CARS - PC Patch 11.2

A new Project CARS patch is now live on Steam. With this patch we're adding a way to configure VR super sampling in the game's settings file.

What does this do? - It provides a way to scale up the resolution of the image rendered by the game, so that when it is displayed on the VR HMD, it appears clearer, with less shimmer and aliasing artifacts

How do I do this? - Look in this folder: \Users\<current user>\Documents\Project CARS\

Depending on the HMD you're using...
Oculus Rift, edit: oculussettings.xml
HTC Vive, edit: openvrsettings.xml

Look for a line called "<prop name="ResScale" data="1" />"

Change the number after 'data=' to whatever you want to set your super sampling to. Higher numbers will increase the resolution, while lowering the number will decrease the resolution. We recommend starting with a value around 1.5 and experimenting with it from there. How much you can push this will depend on your GPU. "

I installed the new patch, restarted Steam, opened Project Cars in Vive VR mode. then looked for the openvrsettings.xml file. I followed the path \Users\<current user>\Documents\Project CARS\, but there is no openvrsettings.xml in that folder. No such file exists on either drive of the computer, a search for that file found no results on my PC.

Sankyo
22-11-2016, 12:43
Did you navigate to My Documents/Project CARS in Explorer?

\Users\<current user>\Documents\Project CARS\ does not exist so you cannot copy that link, you need to fill in your user name where it says <current user>.

Alien Identity
22-11-2016, 12:47
Of course I used my user name in place of the <current user>

Sorry, but who would be looking for "<current user>"?

On that PC the current user is jimi, so I navigated to \Users\jimi\Documents\Project CARS\.... and there is such a Project Cars folder in that location, but no openvrsettings.xml file exists in that folder, or in any other location on either drive of the computer, I did a search with NO RESULTS.

Bruno Alexandre
22-11-2016, 12:54
Do me a favour, boot Project CARS using the HTC Vive launch option(ensure HMD is on) then go to Options > Visuals, once there go back to the main menu and check if the file is now present on the folder.

Sankyo
22-11-2016, 12:56

On that PC the current user is jimi, so I navigated to \Users\jimi\Documents\Project CARS\.... and there is such a Project Cars folder in that location, but no openvrsettings.xml file exists in that folder, or in any other location on either drive of the computer, I did a search with NO RESULTS.
It's wasn't clear because it seemed you copied the path text from the patch notes. Need to make sure no basic mistake was made :)

It sounds like a possible permission problem, are you running Steam and the game as administrator, and is pCARS on the exclusion list of your anti-virus program?

Tom Curtis
22-11-2016, 12:58
Yeh very strange. This is what I see in my documents here.

Alien Identity
22-11-2016, 13:00
OK, just looked and found it>

It is in This PC\documents\ProjectCars, not in \Users\jimi\Documents\Project CARS\

So the patch notes are directing me to the wrong location.

Bruno Alexandre
22-11-2016, 13:03
OK, just did what you asked, no change, everything is the same as before.

Something is not allowing the file to be created most likely, do you have Avast by any chance? Ensure both steam and pcars executables/folders are added to the exclusion list of your FW and AV (reboot after doing so).

Alien Identity
22-11-2016, 13:06

It is in This PC\documents\ProjectCars, not in \Users\jimi\Documents\Project CARS\

So the patch notes are directing me to the wrong location. The looking in the options settings must have created the file because a search for that file found no results before.

Alien Identity
22-11-2016, 13:18
Also, the patch notes should say to save the openvrsettings.xml file after changing the number to the desired setting, it might seem obvious but some users might need to have exact instructions to open the file with notepad and save the file after adjusting the number.

Tom Curtis
22-11-2016, 14:15
Also, the patch notes should say to save the openvrsettings.xml file after changing the number to the desired setting, it might seem obvious but some users might need to have exact instructions to open the file with notepad and save the file after adjusting the number.

It does make it look pretty though huh? :)

Alien Identity
22-11-2016, 14:17
Thanks form the assistance, I have now set my SS to 1.5 (using a 1070) and I just did some laps of Brands Hatch and the game looks GOOD.

Just one question... I was using Supersampling before by setting the displayrenderscale setting in the steam\vr settings config file, so do I need to set that back to the value of 1, or will that file have no effect on the SS settings in the new location?

Roger Prynne
22-11-2016, 14:53

It will ask you if you want to save when you close notepad anyway, so why wouldn't you :D

Mad Al
22-11-2016, 16:11

So the patch notes are directing me to the wrong location. The looking in the options settings must have created the file because a search for that file found no results before.

actually it should really direct you to

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Project CARS
(or for XP, %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Project CARS)

or at least have a C: before \Users

Roger Prynne
22-11-2016, 16:22
^ Unless like me, you have your 'Documents' on a different drive > I:\My Docs :confusion:

Mad Al
22-11-2016, 16:44
^ Unless like me, you have your 'Documents' on a different drive > I:\My Docs :confusion:

There's always one awkward bugger ;)

cluck
22-11-2016, 16:53
And me :)

There's always a pair of awkward buggers ;)Corrected that for you :D

Mad Al
22-11-2016, 17:05
And me :)
Corrected that for you :D

I'm sure more will turn up soon... ;)

I obviously don't generate enough (electronic) paperwork to justify moving my docs to another drive (or to put it another way, the important crap on my PC is not in my Docs folders :), it lives in separate mirrored partitions)

Alien Identity
22-11-2016, 17:42
actually it should really direct you to

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Project CARS
(or for XP, %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Project CARS)

or at least have a C: before \Users

Take a look, in Windows 10 the location is: "This PC\Documents\Project Cars\"

Using the C\Users\current user\documents\Project Cars\ option only works if you use the default option for documents location, so searching with the This PC option is the way to find the location of the file.

Mad Al
22-11-2016, 19:49
Take a look, in Windows 10 the location is: "This PC\Documents\Project Cars\"

Using the C\Users\current user\documents\Project Cars\ option only works if you use the default option for documents location, so searching with the This PC option is the way to find the location of the file.

OK, just for you

Documents folder location as stored in the registry using the command line....

reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Personal"

will get it even if it's been moved onto another disk or a network share.... (and more importantly lets you know the REAL location, which the This PC way certainly doesn't)

Happy now ?

Roger Prynne
22-11-2016, 21:03
^ You always have to have the last word don't you :biggrin-new:

cluck
22-11-2016, 21:46
^ You always have to have the last word don't you :biggrin-new:Yes

:D :p

Mad Al
22-11-2016, 22:32
Yes

:D :p

someone pass him the coat...

;)

John Hargreaves
22-11-2016, 23:05

Same person who was trying to find the 'Any' key :rolleyes: