PDA

View Full Version : First lap and spinning

Cumulonimbus
23-11-2016, 19:47
Hi all,

I am finding two things difficult in this game, which both only are due to my apparent lack of skill, but still I am really hoping to get some tips from more experienced players. I am on PS4, have a FFB wheel, and real assists. In the real world F1 is my all time favorite class and therefore I would love to specialize in Formula A, however this is also the car I find the hardest to drive.

Problem 1:
Surviving the first lap. Seriously, for sure my skills are not on a high (enough) level, but how do you keep from spinning out due to the AI? They brake so non-linear and unpredictable, even if you think you are braking the same as they are, 0.2 seconds later they double their braking power and boom, you are out. On the other hand if you anticipate and double your braking power with them, boom, the guy behind knocks you out. Rolling starts help a little bit, but that's not F1...

Problem 2:
Spinning randomly due to lack of concentration. I know the solution to this would be to concentrate more, just looking for some fellow players that experience the same thing and have some tips maybe. Just every 3/4 laps you just hit the gas pedal little bit wrong, or you accidently hit the curb little bit to hard, and you spin out and either you are 10 places down or you just restart/quit after this happened 3/4 times.

Hoping for some support :-) Thanks!

Fanapryde
23-11-2016, 20:55
Just a tip:
Don't start in Formula A.
Go through the learning curve, like IRL.
No rookie driver starts in F1
:eagerness:

MarleyMoo
23-11-2016, 21:08
First lap is tough. Real drivers get messed up, too.

Cars don't spin out randomly. There are signs to read and situations to avoid. Say, if you're hard on gas and are about to clip a curb, let go of the throttle a bit to avoid accelerating hard half on curb. I guess one should always be mindful of signs of the car getting out of shape when the throttle is opened.

I agree that no rookie started in F1... Try slower open-wheelers first?

Konan
23-11-2016, 21:29
Try slower open-wheelers first?

Best way to learn imo is with tin tops...almost any contact in open wheelers is punished...
My suggestion would be to start from the Clio Cup and work your way up...:cool:

Zpectre87
23-11-2016, 21:48
Best way to learn imo is with tin tops...almost any contact in open wheelers is punished...
My suggestion would be to start from the Clio Cup and work your way up...:cool:

I started with karts, which punish you severely for going over kerbs. :D

Konan
23-11-2016, 21:56
I started with karts, which punish you severely for going over kerbs. :D

Indeed they do...lol

hkraft300
23-11-2016, 23:37
1) what AI % are you racing? Surviving lap 1 is racecraft+luck. Give yourself and the AI space and concede positions if you must. You can make up the positions later if you don't fight too hard and end your race.

2) FA are INTENSE. Stressful things. 100% every moment til the end. What others have already said: start on karts and work your way up the open wheel career path (since that's what you fancy). Starting on slower cars will not only teaches you car control but also racecraft. Slower cars give you the time to calculate, make mistakes, recover, be patient, set up passes, defend, all the things drivers deal with in battle.
What wheel are you using?
Are you controller settings set to 50 (linear response, I believe)?
Have you changed the setup or tried setups from the database?

Cumulonimbus
24-11-2016, 07:22
1) what AI % are you racing? Surviving lap 1 is racecraft+luck. Give yourself and the AI space and concede positions if you must. You can make up the positions later if you don't fight too hard and end your race.

2) FA are INTENSE. Stressful things. 100% every moment til the end. What others have already said: start on karts and work your way up the open wheel career path (since that's what you fancy). Starting on slower cars will not only teaches you car control but also racecraft. Slower cars give you the time to calculate, make mistakes, recover, be patient, set up passes, defend, all the things drivers deal with in battle.
What wheel are you using?
Are you controller settings set to 50 (linear response, I believe)?
Have you changed the setup or tried setups from the database?

Thanks for the responses! To answer your questions: AI varies from 60 to 75, I notice in qualifying if I go below 60 I am more than 8-10 seconds faster, though this differs from circuit to circuit. I use thrustmaster T150 wheel, I think that one is still 50 I dont know, not at home right now, havent changed it though. I try to use the setups from the database yes, maybe changing some stuff to fit my preference.

andreapedros
24-11-2016, 09:14
hi, i'm a huge fan of f1/fa too. actually the only car i drive. i don't agree that you need to start with slower cars; personally i started with fa the very first day i bought the game. i think that every car is difficult to drive at the beginning: every car got strong/weak features, and every car is a lot different to drive than the others. i think the only way to get used to some car is to drive THAT car.

with fa it's normal to have some trouble at the beginning; they're fast, and easy driving when going slow, but very hard to drive at their (high) limit. a good setup is mandatory, fa is difficult to setup properly and it depends a lot on how you setup it, probably a lot more than other cars.

if you like fa, to me it's useless that you learn how to be fast with another car, because they're too different, and because you can be bored to spend a lot of time driving cars you don't have any interest in.

personally i don't use any assist, and i still spin a lot after 8 months, especially when i drive alone... sure due to lack of concentration. i find that racing in a league, if possible a competitive one, help a lot to make less mistakes, without the need to concentrate more; concentration comes "naturally" with the pressure of competition. at least for me. when i practice alone, i never make 5 laps without spinning/crashing... but i finished 2 races out of 3 in the fa championships hosted by seetheair.com, real lenght races of 300 km!

i think you first need a lot of practice, then you'll need some motivation, and you'll see it's possible to start this game with every car you wish, even fa!

that is a good base setup https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qo8mG6g4O0
during this months i improved it (and improved my skills), but with that you can reach 1.19.low in cata tt. change rear df to 8, and put a little longer 7th

hope it will help you, see you on the track (with fa)!

Dresden
24-11-2016, 09:15
Yes, the curbs in this game are brutal. Low level semi racers like Forza and GT allow you to drive everywhere and cut heaps of places. PCars keeps you on the edge of concentration all the time. It can certainly be frustrating, but the more you drive the more you understand each track and each corner.

Try playing around with your car set-up to help with spinning. You should have seen how bad it was with Xbox controller on day one.

Compared to that the game is super smooth now. Lol.

andreapedros
24-11-2016, 09:42
ah, one more thing: during 1st lap you got tires not properly heated, and brakes not heated at all. so you have to be even more careful, brake earlier and be smoother on throttle

hkraft300
24-11-2016, 14:36
with fa it's normal to have some trouble at the beginning; they're fast, and easy driving when going slow, but very hard to drive at their (high) limit. a good setup is mandatory, fa is difficult to setup properly and it depends a lot on how you setup it, probably a lot more than other cars.

if you like fa, to me it's useless that you learn how to be fast with another car, because they're too different, and because you can be bored to spend a lot of time driving cars you don't have any interest in.

The default setup is enough to be competitive and easy to drive.
What is difficult is analysis of the behaviour in the FA, to create that excellent setup because everything happens so fast in an FA you can and will miss details.

Yes, to be Competitive+consistent in an FA, you need to practice in an FA. But to learn the game, the nuances of the tracks, racecraft (AI + multiplayer), I recommend starting with slower cars.

A slower car will teach the muscle memory of driving (also actually allow time+practice to build sensitivity to the ffb), patience + concentration. Driving different cars also builds experience and expands your skills that cross over between different cars, which makes you faster overall.

Finally: this game is full of brilliant cars + tracks. If you're only driving FA, you're limiting yourself.

Grijo
24-11-2016, 15:06
Finally: this game is full of brilliant cars + tracks. If you're only driving FA, you're limiting yourself.

I totally agree with you @hkraft300!
@Cumulonimbus, Pcars has so much categories available and so much to experience. I think if you only drive one car of all that you can pick, you´re limiting the huge experience that Pcars has to offer. I know, it´s your game, your choices. But there´s so much thing to try in Pcars...race the FA, but try other cars and you will be a lot happier!

andreapedros
24-11-2016, 15:13
to me drive only one car is not a limitation, since my goal and my pleasure are to constantly improve my skills and try to reach the very limit of the car. someone prefer to drive a lot of cars and reach a good level on most of them; while someone prefer to specialize with only one/less cars, reaching their higher possible level, and going deeply into setups and driving secrets (of those few cars). there's not a right way to play or to enjoy the game, actually they're both right. you choose what you like.
anyway i'm not suggesting anybody to play like i do; mine was a suggestion about what's the best car for a beginner, in this case for a f1 enthusiast that would like to drive exactly fa. i spoke of myself just to show that it's not impossible to learn, beginning with fa. and that actually i don't think that other cars would be a great "gym" for fa; if you want to learn fa, you need to drive fa. the same if you want to become fast with a gt3, you wouldn't practice with fa, but with gt3.

about default setup: fa one is horrible, with a good one there are at least 6-7 seconds less in a medium-long track like spa

Konan
24-11-2016, 15:19
Point is (already mentioned before) no one in real life starts out in F1...practically all of them started racing karts...they all learned the basics of racing (physics,handling,etc...) in lower classes...
There would have been a lot more deadly accidents if they didn't...
Okay,this is a game but it still comes pretty close to reality...

Cumulonimbus
24-11-2016, 15:52
I totally agree with you hkraft300!
Cumulonimbus, Pcars has so much categories available and so much to experience. I think if you only drive one car of all that you can pick, you´re limiting the huge experience that Pcars has to offer. I know, it´s your game, your choices. But there´s so much thing to try in Pcars...race the FA, but try other cars and you will be a lot happier!

Ah yes but of course I like to play with other cars, just FA is sort of a long term goal to be the best at. I love LMP1, and the other open wheels, and GT3 for some totally different experience next to open wheel. Thanks all for the tips.
I must say though, if you get little bit used to the race cars like open wheel, prototype and GT3, the road cars feel so understeery it does not give me much fun...

Konan
24-11-2016, 15:58
the road cars feel so understeery it does not give me much fun...

Just give it some time...you'll get there in the end...:cool:

Grijo
24-11-2016, 17:34

Specially with a wheel, oh man, so much difference, I'm enjoying a lot the road cars now;)

poirqc
26-11-2016, 01:34
Ah yes but of course I like to play with other cars, just FA is sort of a long term goal to be the best at. I love LMP1, and the other open wheels, and GT3 for some totally different experience next to open wheel. Thanks all for the tips.
I must say though, if you get little bit used to the race cars like open wheel, prototype and GT3, the road cars feel so understeery it does not give me much fun...

Specially with a wheel, oh man, so much difference, I'm enjoying a lot the road cars now;)

It's all about weight transfert and setting the car in, it goes by itself afterwards. :) Road cars and stick shifts are really fun in this game.

Haiden
27-11-2016, 13:02
If open wheel is your thing, and you aren't interested in tin tops or trying to perfect a class, you should still start off with the Formula Rookie or Formula Gulf division. That way, you can have the F1 style experience from the start, but in a vehicle that's a little more suited to your skill level. The limited power of the Rookie and Gulf classes will also help you learn/find the correct racing lines. Their lack of acceleration makes you pay more for bad corner entries. :)

DerrellBiffle
27-11-2016, 21:22
Set up a 20 or so lap race and start at the back and work your way through the field. I am not sure on ps4 but on pc lowering your camber will also help with spinning out. If your getting binned by the ai there is not much you can do outside of staying away from them in the opening of the race.