PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting my first wheel for PS4

Pisshead30
08-12-2016, 05:03
I was looking at inside sim buyers guides and reviews and considering buying a wheel.
What would you recommend thinking of getting a thrustmaster T150

gotdirt410sprintcar
08-12-2016, 05:39
T300 or t500 your going to want more in the long run IMO

hkraft300
08-12-2016, 06:02
For a budget wheel G29 > T150.
Miles better pedals and wheel for not much more $.
I've seen and tried the T150 (not on pcars) at a shop and, for the price it didn't make sense to me.

If your budget stretches far enough you should consider T500 (may be replaced by a new model soon) and Fanatec (future PS4 compatibility questionable) :)

Konan
08-12-2016, 06:21
Yep...the main question actually is budget...
If you want a "cheap" wheel the T150 and G29 will do but as stated before,you will want to upgrade pretty soon due to the addiction of racing with a wheel...
Depends if you're prepared to wait (save up) for a better one or if you want one right now...
Maybe consider buying the cheaper version second hand,that way you'll lose less once you upgrade (and upgrade you will...lol)

Python-Five
08-12-2016, 07:32
I own a copy of Pcars for three weeks now. I bought a PS4 and a G29 just because of my limited budget. The G29 is still in the box, waiting for a Rseat to be mounted on. I still have to buy that rig due to... lack of budget ;-) I just won my first quick race on Dubai using the controller but I recon I need at least a year to find my way around Pcars using a wheel. I also had doubts about the G29 but reading about wheels on this forum made me believe it is the right choice for the moment. I also looked for Fanatec Wheels online and the complete CSL package (base, flippers, wheel, pedals and shifter) will set you back around € 1100. The Fanatec Clubsport package is € 1700. Accuforce Pro starts at € 1700... So bottomline is budget...

John Hargreaves
08-12-2016, 11:10
I've had the G29 for a year and love it, I don't think it can be beaten for the price. It does feel odd when the controller starts to cost more than the console when you start looking at some of the more exotic machinery out there.

Python-Five
08-12-2016, 11:17
I've had the G29 for a year and love it, I don't think it can be beaten for the price. It does feel odd when the controller starts to cost more than the console when you start looking at some of the more exotic machinery out there.

If you want to move to a higher level of gaming you will go PC I guess. Also solves compatibility with high end wheels.

John Hargreaves
08-12-2016, 11:21
Yeah, I have pCars on PS4 and PC and enjoy both. I tend to drive with the wheel (clamped to my desk) on PC and use the controller for the PS4 sitting on the couch. I like 'em both really, but it's nice to have the option to hook up the PS4 to G29 if the need arises. G29 is a nice wheel and the leather grip is good for comfort in longer races, pedals are great too with the built in load cell on the brake.

hkraft300
08-12-2016, 15:00
Did you get he ricmotech brake upgrade for your G29, John?

GrimeyDog
08-12-2016, 15:35
I dont know if you have a Micro Center Near you... But they are Selling a Playseat Rig with T300 bundle for $499.00!!! Thats a Great Price!!! You can order off line also.... Tomorrow is the Last day for that sale.... So Hurry if your interested!!!

Go to the website and look up T300 or Playseat the Bundle should come up... Its Not on their Front page but in Know this is the Bundle i get their sales flyer by Email.

Python-Five
08-12-2016, 15:35
Did you get he ricmotech brake upgrade for your G29, John?

I believe the pedals of the G29 already have a loadcell in the brake pedal...

Hold on... it is just a piece of rubber. Ricmotech now has load cell upgrades fot the G29...

John Hargreaves
08-12-2016, 16:54
Yeah the G29 brake pedal is stiff out of the box - I think it's just a piece of rubber under the pedal, but it's way better than my G25 pedals before that for such a simple addition, and way way better than the pedals that come with the T300. You really need to upgrade those stock pedals if you go Thrustmaster.
The G29 brake weight is perfect though, you can press it hard coming into a turn and it gives really good resistance.

Pisshead30
08-12-2016, 20:14
found a t300rs in argos for 259.99 is that a good price?

John Hargreaves
08-12-2016, 21:00
I think that's not bad, but they aren't giving it away at that. T300s were 180 last Christmas on Amazon, so it might be worth waiting to see if any bargains pop up.

Pisshead30
08-12-2016, 21:53
I think that's not bad, but they aren't giving it away at that. T300s were 180 last Christmas on Amazon, so it might be worth waiting to see if any bargains pop up.

Tesco is the same price and amazon is 10 cheaper

hkraft300
08-12-2016, 22:24
Yeah the G29 brake pedal is stiff out of the box - I think it's just a piece of rubber under the pedal, but it's way better than my G25 pedals before that for such a simple addition, and way way better than the pedals that come with the T300. You really need to upgrade those stock pedals if you go Thrustmaster.
The G29 brake weight is perfect though, you can press it hard coming into a turn and it gives really good resistance.

Ah Ye I thought so.
Once you're accustomed to it, you get fooled into thinking it's load cell. But I imagine proper load cell pedals on pcars would be on another level.

morpwr
09-12-2016, 02:16
Ah Ye I thought so.
Once you're accustomed to it, you get fooled into thinking it's load cell. But I imagine proper load cell pedals on pcars would be on another level.

My experience with loadcell conversions on a g27 and the t3pa pros is they are better then stock pedals but they feel nothing like a real brake pedal. Until switching to pc I never knew there where other options for pedals that are so much better then conversions. They actually have travel and feel like a real brake pedal.Its too bad and one of the reasons I switched that more of this stuff was allowed on consoles.

Trans-Girl
09-12-2016, 07:05
I have both the G29 (G27 before that) and the T300, i wouldn't say either of them have the better FFB they are just different to each other, the stock T300 wheel is horrible, nasty plastic and rubber but can be easily changed for a price, also the T300 pedals are just awful, i have never had a logitech failure so can't comment on customer service... the logitech shifter is a bit of a toy, it feels cheap has no weight to it, just a bit naff... the G29 wheel is far nicer than the stock T300 and has some handy buttons.. for the money (in the UK) the G29 is the better buy in my opinion, BUT add the alcantara wheel to the T300 (120) and use the G29 pedals and the Thrustmaster shifter (104 compared to the G29 shifter at 49) and the T300 is the winner, mmmmmmmmmm alcantara..........

John Hargreaves
09-12-2016, 11:57
Ah Ye I thought so.

The G29 brake pedal is well done, as it gives light resistance with gentle braking and gets progressively heavier as you brake harder. There's a really strong resistance right at the bottom of travel so if you stamp hard as you would in a real car, you do get a pretty hefty resistance to get right to 100% travel. For what must be little more than a conical rubber doorstop, it is a great improvement on the G25/27 pedals.

If you have to remove the wheel from the desk rather than having it permanently installed in a rig, then the G29 comes off far quicker and easier than the T300RS. If that's not an issue then they both clamp well to the support.

The leather finish on the G29 is better for long runs, T300 gets a bit sweaty in your hands. For shorter runs, the T300 feels gorgeous in your hands, the ergonomics are perfect.

T300 is more beautiful than G29 IMO, it's a really nice design. I improved my G29 by sticking a BMW badge in the middle circle, looks 100x less 'gamey'.

FFB on T300 feels softer and more 'rubbery' like a road car, G29 is a bit harsher more like a race car. Actual FFB strength is about equal.

In the end, they are both excellent bits of kit and whichever you buy you will be happy with.

hkraft300
09-12-2016, 12:31
I'll agree John. Good point about the easy release. I was worried about the clamps at first, but they're proper solid and won't budge when they're screwed on tight. Won't have to bother drilling holes when I build the rig. I don't get sweaty hands but the leather is good. The buttons are handy for PS4 if you don't have a Bluetooth keyboard.
I thought the T300 is a stronger wheel than the G29? If they're the same the price difference really doesn't make sense to me.

....mmmmmmmmmm alcantara..........

Fanatec's wheels make me moist.

John Hargreaves
09-12-2016, 12:48
I thought the T300 is a stronger wheel than the G29? If they're the same the price difference really doesn't make sense to me.

I thought that too, but only going from my own experience of the two I found the FFB strength about the same. Last Christmas I got a G29 and a T300 both for 180 at the same time and tested them back to back within the 30-day Amazon return period. It was a tough decision as I really liked them both, but the little things tipped it 51%-49% Brexit style in favour of the G29. As you say the buttons are also a very handy feature, you can operate every menu in the game without taking your hands off the wheel. The clamps was a big deal for me as it's also a work (occasionally) PC, and the pedals, I knew I would have to upgrade to the better TM set pretty soon, which bumps up the cost. G29 also works with my old G25 shifter with a usb adapter, and I get full functionality of every button on that too.

hkraft300
09-12-2016, 12:57
T300 is ~$100au > G29 here base spec. Add the T3PA pro pedals I'm looking at >$250au over a G29. That's getting mighty close to T500 territory here.

GUTTER-BOY
09-12-2016, 13:54
I'd recommend saving up for a T300 if you can hold out for a while. As Konan said; if you really get into sim racing you'll quickly want to upgrade your wheel and pedals. I started off with a T80 ($90), but lack of FFB made it difficult to really know what the car was doing. Then I upgraded to a T150 ($175), but it had the crappy stock 2-pedal set up so I bought T3PA pedals ($75). The T150 with T3PAs was pretty good, but I just found the T300 Ferrari Alcantara wheel w/T3PA pedals included for $300 (holiday flash sale) and all I can say is it is on a whole new level and the alcantara wheel is awesome. The T300 is much more precise and way smoother than the T150.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I spent $340 buying the other wheels and pedals in the past year when I could have saved some money (and frustration) in the long run by just holding out for the T300. If money is tight, just try to save $1.00 a day and in a year you'll have the money for a quality wheel (skip the Starbucks grande it'll happen even faster).

John Hargreaves
09-12-2016, 15:20
Most people would think you were mad for spending more on the wheel than you did on the console, and they'd be right, but I've never met a single person who has bought a decent wheel and regrets it. Once you step over that line, it's hard to go back.

hkraft300
09-12-2016, 23:21
Is the wheel cost:console cost ratio really something to consider?
I would definitely go T500RS the full kit or full Fanatec gear to use with my PS4 if I had the funds. T500 here is >$800au and Fanatec is >$1200au.
Future compatibility issue? Jump over to PC: wheel still works (better than on console according to some who made that jump).
I suppose for someone new to SIM racing, hadn't used a wheel before and wanting to test the waters: sure, get a budget wheel to start I suppose.

John Hargreaves
10-12-2016, 13:42
Is the wheel cost:console cost ratio really something to consider?

Only if you've never tried it :rolleyes:

Python-Five
11-12-2016, 20:31
Sorry to reply here with a question. I am still saving up to get the Rseat Rs1 so I have not used the G29 yet but is there a particular order for connecting the G29 to the PS4?

Trans-Girl
11-12-2016, 23:07
Sorry to reply here with a question. I am still saving up to get the Rseat Rs1 so I have not used the G29 yet but is there a particular order for connecting the G29 to the PS4?

the G29 is plug and play, just plug it in, in time you will want to play with various settings and there is a lot of useful info on this site as to settings... enjoy

hkraft300
12-12-2016, 07:50
the G29 is plug and play, just plug it in...

Hit PS button, select profile, use D-pad to start game, go to options (R1 aka right paddle), control settings, calibrate wheel and pedals, edit assignments, pick a car and track, take some time to get used to the braking and steering, adjust steering ratio (in car setup tuning) to your liking, check out the G29 discussion thread for ffb settings, maybe calibrate ffb... Enjoy :p

Python-Five
12-12-2016, 09:18
I got the settings part covered. Saved the links to oscarolim and the project cars setup database. I just ordered the Rseat RS1 so I hope to be up and running soon...

morpwr
12-12-2016, 12:04
I got the settings part covered. Saved the links to oscarolim and the project cars setup database. I just ordered the Rseat RS1 so I hope to be up and running soon...

Now youre going to be hooked like most of us. Next will be a pc,more options for good racing games,better equipment,checking the pcars forum everyday for hints of pcars2:)

GUTTER-BOY
12-12-2016, 13:17
Smoking deals here, just in time for the holidays:

T300 RS $250 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1130396-REG/thrustmaster_4169072_t300rs_racing_wheel_for.html

T300 Ferrari Alcantara w/T3PA pedals $300: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1194830-REG/thrustmaster_4169082_t300_ferrari_racing_wheel.html

T3PA Pros $99: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1138404-REG/thrustmaster_4060065_3_pedal_add_on_set_pro.html

T150 $180, but with the better options (T300s) above going for 1/3 off normal prices, max out that credit card to get one and you won't be sorry! The T150 and T300RS have the crappy 2 pedal set, so you'll be looking to upgrade those sooner than you think. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1181609-REG/thrustmaster_4169080_t150_rs_racing_wheel.html

Python-Five
12-12-2016, 19:23
Now youre going to be hooked like most of us. Next will be a pc,more options for good racing games,better equipment,checking the pcars forum everyday for hints of pcars2:)

I see you can read minds because although I have not done one single race, this is exactly what I am contemplating right now. PC and Fanatec stuff... drool...
My rseat arrives tomorrow. Lets see how well I do with the RS1 and the G29 first.

hkraft300
12-12-2016, 20:28
My rseat arrives tomorrow. Lets see how well I do with the RS1 and the G29 first.

I sucked the first 3-5 hours. Brain overwhelmed by ffb and also getting used to the brake pedal.
Took me about 20 hours of play to match my gamepad lap times.
This game is really that much better with a wheel.

GUTTER-BOY
13-12-2016, 01:05
I sucked the first 3-5 hours. Brain overwhelmed by ffb and also getting used to the brake pedal.
Took me about 20 hours of play to match my gamepad lap times.
This game is really that much better with a wheel.

PCARS is my go to racing sim - getting about 85% of my gaming time - but DiRT Rally, F1 2016, Assetto Corsa and even Nascar Heat Evolution are much better with a wheel. I tried PCARS with a controller when I first got it, but it was too cumbersome trying to shift/steer/brake with joysticks and shoulder buttons, so I put it aside until I got the T80. With a wheel the game came alive, and now hundreds of dollars later (wheel/pedals/shifter/playseat/button box/Buttkicker Gamer 2/iPad & Galaxy tablet for Crew Chief and PCARS Dash apps, etc.) I now have my winter hobby. All of the sim racing equipment cost me about the same as doing 3 track days paying for entry fees, fuel, tires and food. I can drive all sorts of cars at tracks around the world by just going to my basement. Fortunately I have a very cool, and understanding, wife and kids who support my hobbies.

hkraft300
13-12-2016, 02:27
Lucky you!
Wife has put the brakes on my rig build til we move to a bigger place :rolleyes:

Python-Five
14-12-2016, 10:43
Big red Rseat in da house ;-) Still have to put the d*mn thing together but as soon as I am up, I'll post some pictures...

GUTTER-BOY
14-12-2016, 13:40
@Python: That Rseat looks like a serious piece of kit. Congrats & enjoy!

Mahjik
14-12-2016, 14:14
Big red Rseat in da house ;-) Still have to put the d*mn thing together but as soon as I am up, I'll post some pictures...

You'll enjoy the rSeat. They make very solid and comfortable rigs.

Python-Five
15-12-2016, 08:04
The Rseat is great. The G29 connected without problems to the PS4. I am still finetuning the FFB settings thanks to you guys at this forum. But when it comes to driving with a wheel, I suck big time ;-). Much like hkraft300 predicted...

hkraft300
15-12-2016, 15:27
The braking takes practice (maybe sensitivity <40) to get the feel for it.
Before you load a track, set steering ratio between 12-15:1 (depending on formula/GT car and track, so you're not crossing arms).
Have a play with the caster angle for more self-centering (will make oversteer more "obvious" and wheel will have more "weight").
Adjust master scale (in car setup) according to how much DF the car has so you're not clipping too much (clipping while off-road is ok).
Search for the oscarolim ffb site for custom settings. Community have done great work there too.
You'll be smashing PB before you know it :)

PS you might feel some setups are too Soft. I didn't notice with a gamepad but I certainly feel it on the wheel.

Python-Five
15-12-2016, 16:00
The braking takes practice (maybe sensitivity <40) to get the feel for it.
Before you load a track, set steering ratio between 12-15:1 (depending on formula/GT car and track, so you're not crossing arms).
Have a play with the caster angle for more self-centering (will make oversteer more "obvious" and wheel will have more "weight").
Adjust master scale (in car setup) according to how much DF the car has so you're not clipping too much (clipping while off-road is ok).
Search for the oscarolim ffb site for custom settings. Community have done great work there too.
You'll be smashing PB before you know it :)

PS you might feel some setups are too Soft. I didn't notice with a gamepad but I certainly feel it on the wheel.

I got the steering ratio covered: 13,5:1
Have not yet delved into the car setup, just the FFB settings. I found Oscar Olim and the P.CARS settup Database online.

And I would like to extend my thanks to you for helping out. Much apreciated ;-)