PDA

View Full Version : Project CARS 2:What we are 99%-100% certain about.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

inthebagbud
07-01-2017, 08:38
Weeks not months. So as per our tweets, very soon now :)

The ancient screenies are killing me BTW. It looks so much better now with more to come until beta.

Septemberish release , weeks until the hype starts that's 7 monthsish of hype dear god no

Don't get me wrong love pcars and love the direction of pcars 2, being a member, but 7 months of hype thats a tall order in any marketing campaign to keep audience engagement. I just hope you have it spot on and do not show anything that will not make the final cut otherwise your going to need a lot of water to put out the firestorm of rants that could ensue .

hkraft300
07-01-2017, 11:34
Ye 7 months is horrible.
I'll be full Golum by the end of it.

Mascot
07-01-2017, 13:00
Septemberish release , weeks until the hype starts that's 7 monthsish of hype dear god no

Don't get me wrong love pcars and love the direction of pcars 2, being a member, but 7 months of hype thats a tall order in any marketing campaign to keep audience engagement. I just hope you have it spot on and do not show anything that will not make the final cut otherwise your going to need a lot of water to put out the firestorm of rants that could ensue .

In the early months I'm not expecting a full marketing campaign with interviews, promos and whatnot, just a periodic release of official screens, short videos and titbits of information. E3 is maybe where it really ramps up. Go on any pCARS discussion forum and alongside a lot of glowing praise you'll see a plethora of comments about how users feel 'burnt' by the first game not living up to expectations. It sounds like SMS recognise PC1's deficiencies and where it fell short of the original design document, and are quite open about addressing them in PC2. Being frank and honest about this and publicising improvements like better overall accessibility, better joypad control straight out of the box, more FFB presets or better multiplayer options in PC2 would (I think) go a long way to wooing those users back. It'll be interesting to see what form the marketing takes, whether it's all pomp and bravado or something more humble and understated. It's a tough one but I don't think many exiles will be tempted back by an aggressive campaign that doesn't at least acknowledge PC1's slightly chequered release, despite how it received significant monthly patch improvements.

Schadows
07-01-2017, 19:45
In the near future for a real E-Sport Racing Simulation, and i promise pCars2 can
get this status and titel, the Quality of the Live Cam, Stream, Live TV, is a great
point. And in this area, pcars still has some improvements to do.Yes.
After being disappointed with what I saw on the streams from the Ginetta Cup finals, I suggested some improvements in order to make streams more interesting (but tjat was probably a little late).
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?49420-Better-spectator-mode-for-esports-commenting

I just hope you have it spot on and do not show anything that will not make the final cut otherwise your going to need a lot of water to put out the firestorm of rants that could ensue .Well, either way, you can see in the comments of any pcars2 related articles in the press that lots of people were disappointed or gave up before the game was "fixed".
As usual, first impression is always the stronger one, and pcars2 will have a big task
trying to make those people change their mind.

In the early months I'm not expecting a full marketing campaign with interviews, promos and whatnot, just a periodic release of official screens, short videos and titbits of information.Same here. An initial statement with description of improvements and new feature, coupled with a screenshot gallery and/or a trailer, then just some more pics now and then (like the weekly gallery during pcars development) to make the press keep talking about it, until the big events start (E3, Gamescon, etc.).

Ian Bell
08-01-2017, 01:07
RF2 calculates the tire more than 24 hours, because it reproduces the power of a supercomputer on home computer. Totally in real time on a computers the current level does not make a powerful simulation.
The full complex model, the Quasi-static model is something in the order of 2 million times slower to run than the real-time lookup table. Some people seem to be of the opinion that lookup tables themselves are somehow inferior, but every tyre model in the world compasses some elements of a lookup table, because no tyre model can possibly simulate things at an atomic level. Even then, you would still be implanting some human derived numerical values from somewhere. Until computers reach speeds an order of magnitude higher than we have now, no such models are feasible.
http://isiforums.net/f/entry.php/18-Tyres-The-Big-One-%28Part-I%29

I'm telling you we're running that type of model live. Just not with the same amount of nodes and thus avoiding the need to create lookup tables. It's also optimised to hell and back and takes up two full cores on consoles.

Ian Bell
08-01-2017, 01:14
RF2 calculates the tire more than 24 hours, because it reproduces the power of a supercomputer on home computer. Totally in real time on a computers the current level does not make a powerful simulation.
The full complex model, the Quasi-static model is something in the order of 2 million times slower to run than the real-time lookup table. Some people seem to be of the opinion that lookup tables themselves are somehow inferior, but every tyre model in the world compasses some elements of a lookup table, because no tyre model can possibly simulate things at an atomic level. Even then, you would still be implanting some human derived numerical values from somewhere. Until computers reach speeds an order of magnitude higher than we have now, no such models are feasible.
http://isiforums.net/f/entry.php/18-Tyres-The-Big-One-%28Part-I%29

OH one other point on this. You'd be amazed how many real world pro systems take their data directly from a Matlab export with no optimisation, which really does need a supercomputer.

chris99
08-01-2017, 08:44
Well, either way, you can see in the comments of any pcars2 related articles in the press that lots of people were disappointed or gave up before the game was "fixed".
As usual, first impression is always the stronger one, and pcars2 will have a big task

I don't know if the beta testing is just done by the very limited 2015 sign-up group, but with such an array of PC configurations, graphics cards and steering wheels out there, doesn't it make sense to do an early access release to really thrash out the bugs and avoid the day 0 issues and a succession of patches with the associated negative publicity?

Mascot
08-01-2017, 09:47
I don't know if the beta testing is just done by the very limited 2015 sign-up group, but with such an array of PC configurations and graphics cards out there, doesn't it make sense to do an early access release to really thrash out the bugs and avoid the day 0 issues and a succession of patches with the associated negative publicity?

I heard QA was being outsourced to a separate company for pCARS2, but might be wrong. I'm sure a WMD2 insider will soon confirm/deny.

Ryzza5
08-01-2017, 11:13
Ian has already confirmed that QA has already begun with a proper company.

WMD 2.0 has far fewer members than the first since positions were limited.

F1_Racer68
08-01-2017, 11:18
I heard QA was being outsourced to a separate company for pCARS2, but might be wrong. I'm sure a WMD2 insider will soon confirm/deny.

You are correct. This had been stated ealry on by Ian himself (don't have time to find the thread right now, but it was early last year). I don't recall if it was only the consoles versions though or if it was for all platforms. The comment was made in response to the issues on consoles, but may have meant all platforms.

I do agree with Chris99's comment for the PC side though. While I'm not assuming anything, my suspicion is that most WMD members are running fairly high end systems. Those of us on mid range or minimum spec rigs may not have sufficient representation within WMD. Just something to keep in mind..........

TheBaldReverend
08-01-2017, 12:12
Hello,

Do we know if there's any plans to changes in multiplayer in the next release?

I'm hoping for some sort of career progression as in starting in the lower formulas and earning the 'right' to move up to other formulas in order to try and encourage clean racing.

There could be two different options for MP games: open races, a free for all open to all and a ranked race: some sort of clean racing history and having earned the right to be there.

What do you think?

Cheers

chris99
08-01-2017, 12:17
It would be interesting to know how the QA companies work - do they have a big room of computers ot a large number of PC owners they call on, and if it is any different from how pCars1 was tested?

PostBox981
08-01-2017, 12:18
Well, either way, you can see in the comments of any pcars2 related articles in the press that lots of people were disappointed or gave up before the game was "fixed".

I have been going through some of the recent comments on one of those internet magazins that quoted Ianīs latest statements from about one or two weeks ago and made a whole article up from it, together with some unknowingly speculation. Looks like most people donīt expect much more than a polished version of PC1, which is just wrong [@Ian: I guess saying this doesnīt collide with my NDA :cool:], which they wouldnīt be interested in. So I personally feel like itīs about time to get the hype started asap, or more and more people will decide on something else before pCars 2 can proof how awesome it is going to be.

FS7
08-01-2017, 12:30
Forcing people to start at the bottom and work their way up in offline career isn't a guaranteed way to make people drive clean online, GT & FM have proved that.
SMS should leave offline career as is, implement some sort of optional tutorial mode that gives tips on driving & racing etiquette, implement a online driver rating system that ranks people on how well/clean they drive online, and implement a matchmaking system that matches players based on their ranking so that bad players always get matched with bad players in public lobbies.

TheBaldReverend
08-01-2017, 12:38
I'm not proposing forcing anyone to do anything, I'm suggesting a free for all mode, open to all people and classes of car, and a separate ranked system.

Konan
08-01-2017, 13:04
I have been going through some of the recent comments on one of those internet magazins that quoted Ianīs latest statements from about one or two weeks ago and made a whole article up from it, together with some unknowingly speculation. Looks like most people donīt expect much more than a polished version of PC1, which is just wrong [@Ian: I guess saying this doesnīt collide with my NDA :cool:], which they wouldnīt be interested in. So I personally feel like itīs about time to get the hype started asap, or more and more people will decide on something else before pCars 2 can proof how awesome it is going to be.

That all applies to the doubters...IMO there are more "true believers"...:cool:
And even without knowing anything about Pcars2 i'm still absolutely convinced that a lot of those doubters will cross over to "the other side"...lol

rosko
08-01-2017, 13:14
Its Bandai Namco who are doing the q&A. Its going to have bugs no avoiding that but I guess it will be are more solid release than pcars1.

Shadowoff
08-01-2017, 13:29
The BMW M6 GT3 will be in pCars2, probably one of the only and main reasons Im gonna buy pCars2 =D

Konan
08-01-2017, 13:33
Its Bandai Namco who are doing the q&A. Its going to have bugs no avoiding that but I guess it will be are more solid release than pcars1.

pcars was a first release to start with so those things were to be expected in a way...on top of that there was the public pressure of releasing it after the delays (further delays would have surely cost customers)
Now SMS has made a name for itself and can afford not to give in to pressure (within reason) so IMO the sequel will be polshed and buffed before it hits the stores...

rosko
08-01-2017, 13:42
I never really had that many issues with pcars 1 personally, no worse than any other game, although i did wait a few months after release before buying it.

Stewy32
08-01-2017, 14:02
I think online lobbies for all but you can use leagues for clean Racing.

Gobymage
08-01-2017, 14:03
Hello Guys,

I did not read the entire thread (sorry) but I would like to know if the triple screen will be implemented in project cars 2.
Of course, I mean "really implemented" and not only possible as in project cars 1.
Thanks for the information.

Schadows
08-01-2017, 18:00
I have been going through some of the recent comments on one of those internet magazins that quoted Ianīs latest statements from about one or two weeks ago and made a whole article up from it, together with some unknowingly speculation. Looks like most people donīt expect much more than a polished version of PC1, which is just wrong [@Ian: I guess saying this doesnīt collide with my NDA :cool:], which they wouldnīt be interested in. So I personally feel like itīs about time to get the hype started asap, or more and more people will decide on something else before pCars 2 can proof how awesome it is going to be.I saw exactly the same thing, but I don't think starting the hype this early will change anything (on the contrary I could have the opposite effect).
From what I saw, lots of people were complaining with pad control, ffb or ai (and obviously bugs). That's not really something that can be cleared with just some press articles and media. But since SMS was somehow relucant to publish demo for pcars 1, I guess people will be able to make their own opinion when the game price will be low.

EHM
08-01-2017, 19:43
It's nice to see Quality Control testing being given more attention, though I consider PCars a pretty high quality game already I am eager to see if the faults from the first iteration are actually attended to, both the little things and the big ones.

I think this will be the "Walk the walk" sort of thing for SMS and seeing if they have responded directly to the issues with the first iteration, I don't want to start PCars 2 and for the first lap immediately see my car scraping against the pit wall on the way to the track, my hopes are high that first impressions will be different from Pcars.

In regards to more serious bugs/oversights in all honesty I've been pretty lucky and have never experienced the landmines of death or hit an invisible wall, the worst thing I've come across is the StarTrek lightspeed bug (You complete a lap of Le Mans in 3 seconds, Only happened once), AI taking control of my car when exiting pits and my wheel disconnecting/failing to be detected which could be the fault of the device itself or even my PC. The latter issue used to happen so frequently and is really what killed the time I could have spent with the game.

From the news and leaks (Sorry Wookie but I had to peek) it sounds like everything is coming together really nicely, I'm happy enough about Porsche being free for the first time since 1999/2000 and most likely being included (It's been a hell of a long wait), and about the Esports focus, dynamic terrain and even the little things like the (Possibly implied) manual pitstops, I also really hope there is a decent "Reputation" system, many online games were ruined by he who shall not be named (Not Voldermort).

Ian if you decide to appear again, may I ask is the upgraded AI able to detect a lapper/Faster car this time around in the context that it will "Give way"?

Are there any ambitious environments/tracks scope wise that were not possible in Pcars, and have any of the non laser scanned returning tracks been scanned?

Also for those of us with arachnid fetishes and like variety, will you be including 918 spiders?

ELAhrairah
08-01-2017, 23:01
Hey what about the pit crew? Are we getting a pit crew this time round?

Ian Bell
09-01-2017, 01:58

Correct. All games have bugs but we acknowledge pCARS1 had too many at ship. It was a crazy development system though and we did work very hard to eliminate most of them whilst adding many new features.

Azure Flare
09-01-2017, 02:56
The BMW M6 GT3 will be in pCars2, probably one of the only and main reasons Im gonna buy pCars2 =D

How would you know this?

Rambo_Commando
09-01-2017, 04:04
Correct. All games have bugs but we acknowledge pCARS1 had too many at ship. It was a crazy development system though and we did work very hard to eliminate most of them whilst adding many new features.

Responses like this is why I will continue to by games from SMS for the rest of my life. Altough I'm not a WMD member, I like the fact that you come here and keep everyone informed. I'm really looking forward to Pcars2, especially the Formula A cars. Keep up the good work! Ian maybe you should take over as CEO of Codemasters and teach them a thing or two about open ended communication.

Sankyo
09-01-2017, 05:52
Hey what about the pit crew? Are we getting a pit crew this time round?

SMS is trying hard to convince them to join the fun this time but they're a very shy bunch of people so no confirmation yet.

hkraft300
09-01-2017, 06:53
SMS is trying hard to convince them to join the fun this time but they're a very shy bunch of people so no confirmation yet.

Plus the pcars1 pit crew are an amateur bunch, dropping wheel nuts and what not :rolleyes:
Hopefully their replacements aren't so clumsy.

Dresden
09-01-2017, 07:13
The hard thing about QA is that it is a very strange beast to control. An article I was reading suggests that some of us actually download a slightly corrupted version/patch that gives us a very different experience and makes it very hard for the game company to reproduce the same bug on their master build.

Not sure if that is true- but there must be a reason why some of us have not encountered the same problems. Personally I play the game the way that most people say cannot be done- using Xbox and a controller. Yet I have close to zero problems with bugs since May 15 and have a blast testing and running different cars and tracks each night.

I cannot wait until the marketing boys start to release the info for the new game. This puppy is going to be great!

My main question would be- how many laser scanned tracks are there this time? I would love to know!

SlowBloke
09-01-2017, 08:41
My main question would be- how many laser scanned tracks are there this time? I would love to know!

Ditto. I find a number of tracks to feel like there is no feel of connection to the road - its like the tires are constantly slipping even at lower speeds / no sensation of losing grip - ie there should be a feeling of tires biting / grip - then losing grip - and lost grip scenario. There is really no road feel either (I know a part of that is due to smooth vs bumpy surface).

ie Silverstone, Brno, parts of Zolder (1st and second turn stick out the most).

Where as Oulton Park, Donnington, Cadwell, Brands Hatch, Snetterton and Watkins Glen I can really feel the tires bite and then the progression from grip to no grip (plus of course loads of road feel which I expect to be more pronounced here due to the nature of the tracks).

Is that due to the scanned vs non scanned tracks or something else ?

Mascot
09-01-2017, 09:23
I don't think I'll ever understand the great obsession with laser-scanned tracks from a gameplay perspective. It's a nice 'realism' box to tick but hardly anybody is going to be familiar enough with a track to notice much difference, unless any modelling errors are blatant. The high cost of laser scanning always seemed like a waste of resources to me (especially with different devs commissioning their own scans instead of sharing them with each other - madness!), but at least these days the point cloud data can now be imported directly into the model so it probably makes a lot more economic sense than it used to. When I commissioned laser scans of construction sites several years ago, interpreting the data afterwards used to be a logistical nightmare. I guess these days the cost is largely offset by the savings in modelling time?

Sankyo
09-01-2017, 10:52
I don't think I'll ever understand the great obsession with laser-scanned tracks from a gameplay perspective. It's a nice 'realism' box to tick but hardly anybody is going to be familiar enough with a track to notice much difference, unless any modelling errors are blatant.
It's a purely psychological thing to 'know' you're driving 'the real' track instead of a (very) close approximation. As you say, most people don't even know whether the banking of a certain corner in the non-scanned version is correct or not, but the idea that it might not be 100% correct already puts some people off.

The only thing that usually is a plus of scanned tracks is the track surface bumps and undulations throughout the whole track that make it feel more alive to drive on.

The high cost of laser scanning always seemed like a waste of resources to me (especially with different devs commissioning their own scans instead of sharing them with each other - madness!), but at least these days the point cloud data can now be imported directly into the model so it probably makes a lot more economic sense than it used to. When I commissioned laser scans of construction sites several years ago, interpreting the data afterwards used to be a logistical nightmare. I guess these days the cost is largely offset by the savings in modelling time?
AFAIK laser scanning is still only the start of track modeling, i.e. it's not a case of importing the data and you're done. It's still a manual job of converting the huge amount of point cloud data to a track model that can be handled by the (rendering) engine of the game.

And BTW, even in laser-scanned tracks track geometry errors can occur either through data corruption or manual mistakes...

RomKnight
09-01-2017, 12:42
The real reference points "outside" the track if modeled are a bonus too (that's what RL pro drivers say anyway).

Distance markers, bumps/cracks on the track as you mentioned, marshall huts, everything can be used as a reference point if imported correctly.

Actually, diference in heights is also very noticeable for those who actually know the track IRL especially in VR.

hkraft300
09-01-2017, 12:44
I don't think I'll ever understand the great obsession with laser-scanned tracks from a gameplay perspective...

For arcade racers it makes no sense, but for Sims with proper ffb, what if it's really a case of:

The only thing that usually is a plus of scanned tracks is the track surface bumps and undulations throughout the whole track that make it feel more alive to drive on...

And it's not purely subjective?
Would scanned vs non-scanned tracks become more obvious as the tyre model (and ffb) improve? Especially on mid-high end wheels/systems?

Mahjik
09-01-2017, 13:09
And it's not purely subjective?
Would scanned vs non-scanned tracks become more obvious as the tyre model (and ffb) improve? Especially on mid-high end wheels/systems?

It's possible to add some extra bits from an FFB perspective like AC does (they have some sort of road feel FFB setting). The main benefit for scanning is for getting the lofting correct. Using satellite photos and gps, most track makers can get pretty accurate with everything except the lofting (track elevation changes).

hkraft300
09-01-2017, 13:28
Interesting.
Now that I have a wheel I can very well understand what you lot are babbling about.
Scanned vs canned? I vote scanned.

Sankyo
09-01-2017, 13:52
Interesting.
Now that I have a wheel I can very well understand what you lot are babbling about.
Scanned vs canned? I vote scanned.

But what if that would mean 15 tracks vs 50 tracks in the game (due to higher costs of scanning tracks)? :)

SlowBloke
09-01-2017, 14:16
But what if that would mean 15 tracks vs 50 tracks in the game (due to higher costs of scanning tracks)? :)

As is the case with AC. No where near enough content - whats there is nice ofcourse....

I think most people will prefer scanned but indeed at that cost.... although I do find myself ignoring a good few tracks because they just dont feel right to me (mentioned before ie Silverstone)... I find 80% of my time is spent on maybe 10 tracks tops... and they are all the ones that feel great FFB wise with tire bite and progression of losing grip... oh and lotsa bumps ofcourse too.

Nordschleife feels great and thats not scanned though...

morpwr
09-01-2017, 14:39
As is the case with AC. No where near enough content - whats there is nice ofcourse....

I think most people will prefer scanned but indeed at that cost.... although I do find myself ignoring a good few tracks because they just dont feel right to me (mentioned before ie Silverstone)... I find 80% of my time is spent on maybe 10 tracks tops... and they are all the ones that feel great FFB wise with tire bite and progression of losing grip... oh and lotsa bumps ofcourse too.

Nordschleife feels great and thats not scanned though...

A lot of the mod tracks for ac aren't scanned either and they are still very good. Same goes for the cars there are some very good modders out there.

FS7
09-01-2017, 14:48

AC has mod support which more than makes up for the small amount of official tracks.

Personally I don't care much about tracks being laser-scanned, as long as the track is accurate it's all fine with me. If I had to choose between all laser-scanned tracks or mod support in PCars2 I'd definitely choose mod support.

SlowBloke
09-01-2017, 15:06
AC has mod support which more than makes up for the small amount of official tracks.

Disagree - majority of mods are sub par.

There are a few which are really nice though but I dont think there are more than 5 mod tracks I would rate as approaching anywhere near the same quality as the in game ones.

konnos
09-01-2017, 15:40
I ll second that SlowBloke. However accurate a track and its layout might be, the problem usually is that the modder doesn't use the same high standard specifications as the game company and also does not utilise all the available tech and so you see these average tracks, that look ok to good but are boring to drive and feel dead. The good modders know how to make better use of all that tech, but it is a very time consuming job and it requires serious dedication.

morpwr
09-01-2017, 16:13
I ll second that SlowBloke. However accurate a track and its layout might be, the problem usually is that the modder doesn't use the same high standard specifications as the game company and also does not utilise all the available tech and so you see these average tracks, that look ok to good but are boring to drive and feel dead. The good modders know how to make better use of all that tech, but it is a very time consuming job and it requires serious dedication.

I don't know. Maybe I got lucky but the couple tracks I tried where pretty good. Ill agree that some aren't very good but some are. Same goes for the cars. Some ive tried are pretty bad but some by the better modders are worth having.

konnos
09-01-2017, 19:26
Yes I also have tried a few that are amazing, i m not saying it's all bad. I guess all I m trying to say is that modding is not a magic fix to everything a game is lacking. It's great to have nonetheless.

rosko
09-01-2017, 19:37
It's possible to add some extra bits from an FFB perspective like AC does (they have some sort of road feel FFB setting). The main benefit for scanning is for getting the lofting correct. Using satellite photos and gps, most track makers can get pretty accurate with everything except the lofting (track elevation changes).

Just to be clear the 'road feel' slider is physics based in AC.

rosko
09-01-2017, 19:47
I think the only track where i miss laser scanning is Nordschleife, in AC in comparison to Pcars. Pcars version is good in its own right but i feel it just needs a laser scanned with such a complex track. I think pcars will get taken more seriously in the sim world with scanned tracks, not sure if that matters.

ELAhrairah
09-01-2017, 20:01

Irish, you and your witty answers always make my days a bit more bright. And seriously I must say from my perspective with Pcars 1 the only real hassle was the FFB system that was designed for only oxford graduates to understand. But I read your comment about how 'intuitive' the new FFB settings will be and I must say I'm starting to feel the love bubbles in my stomach.

hkraft300
09-01-2017, 20:17

What if with each iteration SMS just adds a few more laser tracks? :)
Glass half full!

Pisshead30
09-01-2017, 20:36
Responses like this is why I will continue to by games from SMS for the rest of my life. Altough I'm not a WMD member, I like the fact that you come here and keep everyone informed. I'm really looking forward to Pcars2, especially the Formula A cars. Keep up the good work! Ian maybe you should take over as CEO of Codemasters and teach them a thing or two about open ended communication.

I think its an essential part of the gaming industry that someone from the developers actually communicates with the people who pay their hard earned cash for their products, SMS KUNOS and EVOLUTION STUDIOS are great examples of this. These other companies that post sh1t on there social media that is obviously posted by an outside marketing company piss me off big time

RacingAtHome
09-01-2017, 21:01
What if with each iteration SMS just adds a few more laser tracks? :)
Glass half full!

That's probably the best situation of the lot. You still have a lot of circuits and have laser scanned circuits which increase each time.

DinoM
10-01-2017, 09:41
Just because. :)

gotdirt410sprintcar
10-01-2017, 20:16
I really hope they make the grass more slippery and the turf and paint. The paint is but grass needs work and turf but I guess you guys got that covered we got Dirt .

Mascot
10-01-2017, 20:54
Are we getting more official liveries, sponsorship and advertising hoardings in pCARS2, or will it be mainly fake ones like the first game? The car liveries I'm not too bothered about (the more the merrier - it adds great visual variety during races) but the many fake branded hoardings around the tracks in pCARS did sometimes break immersion and authenticity. It'd be great if more corporations got on board with pCARS so only genuine logos were visible. After the commercial success of pCARS I'd have thought brand managers would be bashing your door down..?

poirqc
11-01-2017, 00:06
I really hope they make the grass more slippery and the turf and paint. The paint is but grass needs work and turf but I guess you guys got that covered we got Dirt .

Yesterday, my brother in law stopped by. I made him try pCars for the first time. The grass seemed slippery enough to me! ;) :D

OddTimer
11-01-2017, 09:54
Yesterday, my brother in law stopped by. I made him try pCars for the first time. The grass seemed slippery enough to me! ;) :D

It is not only about being slippery, but the hole terrain thing needs a lot of work in PCars...

DreamsKnight
11-01-2017, 11:47

It is not only about being slippery, but the hole terrain thing needs a lot of work in PCars...

yes. please SMS add scripted grass and kerbs exactly like assetto corsa. cause sims cummunity suppose an high dowforce car with slik tyres, if has a half tyre in the grass must do automatically a spin. real races are full of examples of drivers who waste everything in this way.

hwy look here. low downforce cars. they can't touch kerbs and grass. a lot of spin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSeejxRYQpY

yes, this is a sarcastic post

rocho
11-01-2017, 18:24
After my last test today, racing with some friends, I am 100% sure that it is awesome and it is going to be even better!!

poirqc
11-01-2017, 19:09

From my point of view, i think pCars tracks are textured enough(Elevation, tarmac waves, imperfection, etc...). I'm not saying they're all perfect, mind you. It could be related to FFB. But that's a whole different subject.

gotdirt410sprintcar
11-01-2017, 20:33
From my point of view, i think pCars tracks are textured enough(Elevation, tarmac waves, imperfection, etc...). I'm not saying they're all perfect, mind you. It could be related to FFB. But that's a whole different subject.

True i think the same way but touching grass two wheels off track and not loose speed after going over rumble strip lol. Look at AC you touch grass jump a curve you better be on point ! Pcars 1 that part of the game needs work and I'm sure they worked on so i have no worries its been noted before this tread im sure talked about too. Thats why Mr. Bell stops in too check on you guys lol. Wish i could put sound on here... as i right this they are running the dyno down the street 410 sprint moters yeah bady i have 2 in my neighborhood lol i cant lye its 305 moter still 500 plus

poirqc
12-01-2017, 12:33
True i think the same way but touching grass two wheels off track and not loose speed after going over rumble strip lol. Look at AC you touch grass jump a curve you better be on point ! Pcars 1 that part of the game needs work and I'm sure they worked on so i have no worries its been noted before this tread im sure talked about too. Thats why Mr. Bell stops in too check on you guys lol. Wish i could put sound on here... as i right this they are running the dyno down the street 410 sprint moters yeah bady i have 2 in my neighborhood lol i cant lye its 305 moter still 500 plus

Well, when i was karting with super low engine power(13 HP, still super fun, mind you), going off track didn't really do anything. Well, it would kick you really hard in the ribs and send you airborn if you aimed for the holes created over time! :D

Hitting the grass, with the wheels where the weight is shifted, is another thing. Especially in a curve. But on a fairly straight line, i'm not sure speed would really change.

You probably can't control the car quickly, but going straight may not be a problem.

Diamond_Eyes
12-01-2017, 12:49
so would you get drawn further into the grass verge like their is a magnet pulling on your car, as we have on pCars down the straights?

Mascot
12-01-2017, 14:05
Holy hypercar, I was just given a sneaky peek at a recent pCARS 2 screenshot. No wonder Ian is miffed at the Polish leak - this new one was in a whole different league altogether. Computers make excellent and efficient servants, but I have no wish to serve under them.

RacingAtHome
12-01-2017, 14:12
Holy hypercar, I was just given a sneaky peek at a recent pCARS 2 screenshot. No wonder Ian is miffed at the Polish leak - this new one was in a whole different league altogether. Computers make excellent and efficient servants, but I have no wish to serve under them.

If it's in a whole different league, i'd love to see it. Sadly, we'll just have to be patient.

cluck
12-01-2017, 16:39
If it's in a whole different league, i'd love to see it. Sadly, we'll just have to be patient.Having taken quite a few screenshots in both pCARS1 and pCARS2 I can safely say that, yes, pCARS2 is in another league :) . It's not just the {redacted} or the {redacted}, or even the {mod edit : Cluck, stop revealing stuff or we'll have to find a more "permanent" way of silencing you} that makes the most difference it's the {mod edit : that's it Cluck, you're outta here}

Konan
12-01-2017, 16:41
Always nice to get some usefull info...:rolleyes:

cluck
12-01-2017, 17:25
Always nice to get some usefull info...:rolleyes:But if I told you about any of it, Ian would find me and he would kill me. I don't fear much in this world but I do fear The Wookie

Konan
12-01-2017, 17:28
Hmmm...i always thought wookies didn't eat chicken...:cool:

Cholton82
12-01-2017, 19:08
Is anyone 99% certain that maybe the AI can and do spin out occasionally ? That's one thing I miss is a few more mistakes and the ability for them to actually spin out . In PC1 they just don't spin round they seem like they are unable to , I imagine it isn't easy to factor in mistakes and spins but it would liven it up .

SenorPez
12-01-2017, 20:45
For my own selfish reasons, I'm eagerly awaiting official announcements for changes to replays and telemetry feeds.

BullWinkle
12-01-2017, 21:42
Hmmm...i always thought wookies didn't eat chicken...:cool:

They do if there garnished with coleslaw.:p

Konan
12-01-2017, 21:51

I'm 99% certain that Cluck would disagree (just to stay slightly on topic)...:rolleyes:

Schadows
13-01-2017, 04:57
I can't wait to play pcars 2 on Nintendo Switch and its perfect ergonomic controller ;p

Konan
13-01-2017, 05:04
I can't wait to play pcars 2 on Nintendo Switch and its perfect ergonomic controller ;p

So you'll make the Switch from pc to Nintendo? I thought you pc guys only upgraded? Lol
:rolleyes:

Grijo
13-01-2017, 10:19

Run Cluck, save your live!!!!

Schadows
13-01-2017, 13:03
So you'll make the Switch from pc to Nintendo? I thought you pc guys only upgraded? Lol
:rolleyes:Mind you but the steering wheels are the only affordable accessories >__<

poirqc
13-01-2017, 13:26
:rolleyes:

How the **** can you switch to Nintendo when they sent about 0 consoles to retailer! The NES Classic saga got me way too much.

ELAhrairah
13-01-2017, 13:43
* How bout the race weekend build up guys? Are we getting some real nice atmospheric scenes even if it's like with made up licences for fake championships that we can choose separately?

* And visible drying up racing lines during wet-to-dry weather transformations?

* The safety car?

* An immersive career path ?

* Ian walking around the paddock like Ecclestone?

DreamsKnight
13-01-2017, 13:49

could be a great easter egg

Grijo
13-01-2017, 13:52

LOL. I was thinking if we will be awarded with a trophy for spotting Ian Bell in the paddock :p

DreamsKnight
13-01-2017, 13:56
LOL. I was thinking if we will be awarded with a trophy for spotting Ian Bell in the paddock :p

but probably, near maggie at bannochbrae pub is the most appropriate location. :D

EHM
13-01-2017, 13:59
You should be able to see him under the Bannochbrae bridge fighting trolls, but only when the time of day is set to midnight and the date is the 31st of October.

ELAhrairah
13-01-2017, 14:00
but probably, near maggie at bannochbrae pub is the most appropriate location. :D

* correction: Ian with a pint in his hand on the paddock :D

DreamsKnight
13-01-2017, 14:14
* correction: Ian with a pint in his hand on the paddock :D

one thing is sure: beer.

Diamond_Eyes
13-01-2017, 14:18
Egglestone...

FS7
13-01-2017, 14:46

could be a great easter egg
Wookie waving the checkered flag would be cool, but he would only show up if you perform a grand chelem.

Also, there's my suggestion from last year's April fools:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?46248-Cancelled-Project-CARS-2&p=1260005&viewfull=1#post1260005

"the all new 'Takedown Ian Bell' mode where players unsatisfied with the game attempt to catch and takedown Ian Bell's car while avoiding WMD member's cars and other track hazards."

Sankyo
13-01-2017, 14:49
Wookie waving the checkered flag would be cool, but he would only show up if you perform a grand chelem.

Also, there's my suggestion from last year's April fools:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?46248-Cancelled-Project-CARS-2&p=1260005&viewfull=1#post1260005

"the all new 'Takedown Ian Bell' mode where players unsatisfied with the game attempt to catch and takedown Ian Bell's car while avoiding WMD member's cars and other track hazards."

There will be no unsatisfied customers with pCARS2 :p

Grijo
13-01-2017, 14:53
There will be no unsatisfied customers with pCARS2 :p

But would be still a funny game mode :p

cluck
13-01-2017, 15:08
* correction: Ian with one hand on his paddocks :DCorrected that for you :D

EHM
13-01-2017, 15:09
Is it too much to ask if there are any new physics additions that had to be added/reworked (Similar to the Kart chasis flexing), say for cars that maybe use fan ground effects or cars with 3 or even a certain one that has 6 wheels?

ELAhrairah
13-01-2017, 15:19
Corrected that for you :D

One more correction: Ian with one hand on his paddocks and 5 pints in the other hand :D

Sankyo
13-01-2017, 19:27
Is it too much to ask if there are any new physics additions that had to be added/reworked (Similar to the Kart chasis flexing), say for cars that maybe use fan ground effects or cars with 3 or even a certain one that has 6 wheels?

Let me put it this way: none of this had to be reworked as it is already part of the physics engine.

DusterBuster
13-01-2017, 23:22
Maybe someone can also answer if we get high quality textures for the ai/other players as an option in pcars2? And is the sound of the other cars louder (or an option to choose how loud it is) than in pcars1, cause i only hear my own car and none of the others (especially in replays it doesn't sound right)

F1_Racer68
14-01-2017, 05:13
Let me put it this way: none of this had to be reworked as it is already part of the physics engine.

And the $64,000 question is........ which way do I want to interpret that response? :D

So many options..... LOL

konnos
14-01-2017, 08:18
@DusterBuster
The sounds are fine (replays can be another thing...) so I think you need to ask in the technical forum and see if they can help you, it's a problem with your end.

Mascot
14-01-2017, 09:16
And is the sound of the other cars louder (or an option to choose how loud it is) than in pcars1, cause i only hear my own car and none of the others (especially in replays it doesn't sound right)

I was thinking the same while playing pCARS yesterday. Volume sliders for other cars, tyre squeal, exhaust note, road noise, environmental sounds etc etc would be lovely. Basically, fully user-customisable audio, with access to every channel for tweaking. I've heard SMS have very ambitious plans for the audio in pCARS 2 (wanting to trump Raceroom as the benchmark, for example) so hopefully this includes plenty of user options.

konnos
14-01-2017, 09:40
I say yes to sliders too. But what DusterBuster is describing is a problem, that is not normal.

Mahjik
14-01-2017, 15:54
Maybe someone can also answer if we get high quality textures for the ai/other players as an option in pcars2? And is the sound of the other cars louder (or an option to choose how loud it is) than in pcars1, cause i only hear my own car and none of the others (especially in replays it doesn't sound right)

@DusterBuster
The sounds are fine (replays can be another thing...) so I think you need to ask in the technical forum and see if they can help you, it's a problem with your end.

I say yes to sliders too. But what DusterBuster is describing is a problem, that is not normal.

It actually is normal what DusterBuster is describing. The non-player sounds are of lesser quality than the player sounds. This also makes them quieter (i.e. making lower quality sounds louder just distorts them). This was done for performance reasons. Some people are more sensitive to the sounds to notice.

Rambo_Commando
14-01-2017, 16:43
Is there a 0.01% chance that we will get customizable career, editable AI driver and team names and the ability to edit the primary and secondary color of the cars. Not a livery editor but the ability to change just the car colors. This will make the Formula A experience awesome. Does anyone know if this infringes on F1 copyrights? Tbh, I would much rather play FA on Pcars2 than F1 2017. I just want to have the colors of the F1 teams tough.

RacingAtHome
14-01-2017, 18:24
Is there a 0.01% chance that we will get customizable career, editable AI driver and team names and the ability to edit the primary and secondary color of the cars. Not a livery editor but the ability to change just the car colors. This will make the Formula A experience awesome. Does anyone know if this infringes on F1 copyrights? Tbh, I would much rather play FA on Pcars2 than F1 2017. I just want to have the colors of the F1 teams tough.

There's no issue with F1 copyright as it's a unique car.

eracerhead
14-01-2017, 18:41
There's no issue with F1 copyright as it's a unique car.

Whether it is or isn't, you're unlikely to see SMS take that gamble.

Konan
14-01-2017, 18:55
Whether it is or isn't, you're unlikely to see SMS take that gamble.

True...any resemblance to an actual F1 car could be enough to create issues...perfect examples are the bridge and ferris wheel at Sakitto...

Rambo_Commando
14-01-2017, 19:22
True...any resemblance to an actual F1 car could be enough to create issues...perfect examples are the bridge and ferris wheel at Sakitto...

I'm only talking about editing colors, not a full blown livery editor. If you think about it, in FA and FB there are quite a bit of cars that resemble actual F1 liveries, past and present.

Konan
14-01-2017, 19:30
I'm only talking about editing colors, not a full blown livery editor. If you think about it, in FA and FB there are quite a bit of cars that resemble actual F1 liveries, past and present.

Also true...anyway there is no way for us to know which licenses/agreements SMS have this time around...all shall be revealed shortly (well...i'm 99% certain of that) :rolleyes:

eracerhead
14-01-2017, 20:45

Without giving anything away, there have been prior behind-the-scenes discussions about just this issue. Liveries that are too close to real-life ones have been disallowed by the devs to avoid potential legal conflicts.

Konan
14-01-2017, 20:54
...that's what i meant when i made my comment...:cool:

FS7
14-01-2017, 20:59
I'd like to know if SMS will let me adjust controller options, sound options, and visual options while I'm in a session either through the pause menu or in the garage like I do in my other racing games. Having to leave the track and go back to the main menu every time I want to adjust options is really annoying and takes more time.

LukeC
14-01-2017, 22:05

I would like the formula A car to be more representative of the 2017 F1 cars, if we can't have an official one. I really hate the post 2009 f1 regs. I actually enjoy the formula B car a million times more than the FA car in Pcars.

Mascot
14-01-2017, 22:17
I'd like to know if SMS will let me adjust controller options, sound options, and visual options while I'm in a session either through the pause menu or in the garage like I do in my other racing games. Having to leave the track and go back to the main menu every time I want to adjust options is really annoying and takes more time.

I believe the whole logic path of the UI is getting a complete overhaul to make it more intuitive and user friendly in pCARS 2. Even something as overtly simple as changing your livery in pCARS entails building a time machine and kidnapping Charles Babbage.

That's what it feels like, anyway.

FS7
14-01-2017, 23:13
I believe the whole logic path of the UI is getting a complete overhaul to make it more intuitive and user friendly in pCARS 2. Even something as overtly simple as changing your livery in pCARS entails building a time machine and kidnapping Charles Babbage.
Agreed, choosing livery in PCars1 is way too complicated. My suggestion: up/down to change cars, left/right to change livery. Also there should be an option to choose favorite livery for each car.

Rambo_Commando
15-01-2017, 03:03
Also the ability to select our race suit or gloves would be nice also.

theothermexico
15-01-2017, 04:47
Also the ability to select our race suit or gloves would be nice also.

Lime green gloves every time!

theothermexico
16-01-2017, 04:58
For those of you that don't often visit PRC, there's a new article today about a new PCARS 2 leak.

As with any leak this early, take it with a grain of salt. As much as I would love ovals, what excites me most is the first screenshot telling the player that they have been given a drive through. If that makes it through to the final product I'll be pumped!

Mods, if this post isn't appropriate, feel free to delete it

Mascot
16-01-2017, 07:18
For those of you that don't often visit PRC, there's a new article today about a new PCARS 2 leak.

As with any leak this early, take it with a grain of salt. As much as I would love ovals, what excites me most is the first screenshot telling the player that they have been given a drive through. If that makes it through to the final product I'll be pumped!

Mods, if this post isn't appropriate, feel free to delete it

Nissan GTR confirmed then?

RacingAtHome
16-01-2017, 07:25

According to that, yes. And a Porsche 911 GT3.

theothermexico
16-01-2017, 07:31

Ian did say that none of the famous brands are missing this time, so I took that as the exotics along with most of Asia and GM.

But again, just remember that this isn't an official screen. It could just be another piece of content that is dropped for whatever reason prior to launch

Mascot
16-01-2017, 07:35
According to that, yes. And a Porsche 911 GT3.

Wasn't sure if that was the Ruf from a quick glance.

RacingAtHome
16-01-2017, 07:38
Wasn't sure if that was the Ruf from a quick glance.

I'm just assuming. Plus, the top lip is far less obvious on the RUF. Plus, the rear diffuser and exhaust is much different.

http://www.upl.co/uploads/MielieTheWheely/pCars-20140710-16402407.jpg

EHM
16-01-2017, 08:54
This GT3 roster is going to be glorious. :eek:

http://snaplap.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/31090132/Porsche-911-GT3-R-rear-450x299.jpg

TheDoctor46
16-01-2017, 09:45
Just a FWIW, nothing is "confirmed" whatsoever :yes:

RomKnight
16-01-2017, 10:18

Please stay on topic. That's 100% sure, not 99% :p :D

Mascot
16-01-2017, 10:20

Absolutely, but we do know about Porsche and the Nissan GTR has been a bit of an open secret for a while now. I guess Ovals still depend on getting the AI fixed, but rumours are that this is now resolved. Personally I don't like ovals (or their flat and boring infields) but I know a lot of people are hoping they will be included, so this can only be good for the game.

IF it's true, of course... ;)

Konan
16-01-2017, 10:40
...any addition (not replacement) is good news imo...
I wouldn't mind ovals as long as indeed the AI are up to that close contact racing...

Roger Prynne
16-01-2017, 10:57
All I can say is that I've been going around in circles thinking about this lately ;)

Konan
16-01-2017, 10:58
All I can say is that I've been going around in circles thinking about this lately ;)

Lol

hkraft300
16-01-2017, 12:54

Ovals 99% confirmed.
Or is it the Nardo test track...

Silraed
16-01-2017, 12:55

Real subtle :rolleyes:.

FS7
16-01-2017, 13:00
If any WMD members mention eggs & bacon it probably means ovals & drag strips confirmed.

RacingAtHome
16-01-2017, 13:03
If any WMD members mention eggs & bacon it probably means ovals & drag strips confirmed.

I assume sausages mean Bristol/Martinsville?

Bealdor
16-01-2017, 13:08

And what does mentioning coleslaw confirm? :rolleyes:

BullWinkle
16-01-2017, 13:11

Confirmed. Roger has Mad Cow Disease., or he needs fresh batteries in his GPS.

Mascot
16-01-2017, 13:11
Or is it the Nardo test track...

Or more likely the Nando test track knowing this forum's weird obsession with food...

Christ, now I'm at it.

BullWinkle
16-01-2017, 13:17

That you'll never be invited to clucks for supper.

RacingAtHome
16-01-2017, 13:31

Magny Cours 99% Confirmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-57Thiyvy8

warp9engage
16-01-2017, 13:34
Does anyone have any idea if single-player multi-class racing (by multi-class I mean full variety, not just within a group like PCARS 1) will be possible in PCARS 2?

Grijo
16-01-2017, 14:08

Does not confirm anything, but Iīm 99% sure that is used to refers about one of the Cluckīs most appreciated foods :p

*Getting my coat and leaving the room

cluck
16-01-2017, 14:53
If there's any coleslaw in pCARS2 then it's a confirmed "no purchase" for me.

(except that, technically, I've already bought it)

Konan
16-01-2017, 15:04

But we can invite Cluck for supper though...mmm...chicken and coleslaw! :cool:

F1_Racer68
16-01-2017, 15:10

Demolition Derby mode confirmed....... as cluck crushes you repeatedly... :D

RacingAtHome
16-01-2017, 15:39
Demolition Derby mode confirmed....... as cluck crushes you repeatedly... :D

Off topic. It's got to be 99%.

Konan
16-01-2017, 15:52
Off topic. It's got to be 99%.

I'm 99% certain you can get your coat...:cool:

RacingAtHome
16-01-2017, 16:01
I'm 99% certain you can get your coat...:cool:

Is a Flake 99 a good apology?

Mascot
16-01-2017, 16:17
Does anyone have any idea if single-player multi-class racing (by multi-class I mean full variety, not just within a group like PCARS 1) will be possible in PCARS 2?

I hope so - it would be a great addition.

FS7
16-01-2017, 18:08
I assume sausages mean Bristol/Martinsville?
No, if Bristol is confirmed to be in the game people will most likely mention something about catch the rabbit.

RacingAtHome
16-01-2017, 18:40
No, if Bristol is confirmed to be in the game people will most likely mention something about catch the rabbit.

Would it be a Travel Rabbit?

Konan
16-01-2017, 19:02

Nooo...that would be the Easter Bunny...:cool:

RacingAtHome
16-01-2017, 19:26
Nooo...that would be the Easter Bunny...:cool:

April DLC 99% confirmed.

Konan
16-01-2017, 19:27
April DLC 99% confirmed.

Lol

Konan
16-01-2017, 20:14
April DLC 99% confirmed.

99% certain it will be announced for april first...:cool:

FS7
16-01-2017, 21:18
It will be this rabbit, and the track will have a catch-the-rabbit mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz-UV6l_lRc

Mascot
17-01-2017, 12:31

OddTimer
19-01-2017, 09:29
Has anything been said about mid-race saving? This would be great for endurance races!

Konan
19-01-2017, 09:32
Since there has been a lot of demand for this feature i'm sure SMS took that in account for the sequel...(just my calculated guess though) :cool:

Sankyo
19-01-2017, 09:50
Has anything been said about mid-race saving? This would be great for endurance races!
I don't remember any final decision about it having been made yet, only discussion of the technical hurdles it would involve taking. IIRC only a save in controlled conditions may be possible (i.e. not when just driving on the track somewhere) because of the type and amount of data involved, but not sure what the latest insights are. It surely isn't straightforward!

racesafegrandad
19-01-2017, 10:11
It will be this rabbit, and the track will have a catch-the-rabbit mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz-UV6l_lRc

Regarding the rabbit on the track video. This happened to me as I marshalled at a big race meeting at Brands Hatch a few years ago. The rabbit was at the top of Paddock hill. The rabbit had Myxomatosis but the crowd didn’t know that as the other marshal caught it, snapped its neck and then chucked it over the Armco barrier. I thought we were going to be lynched by the crowd!

OddTimer
19-01-2017, 12:02
I don't remember any final decision about it having been made yet, only discussion of the technical hurdles it would involve taking. IIRC only a save in controlled conditions may be possible (i.e. not when just driving on the track somewhere) because of the type and amount of data involved, but not sure what the latest insights are. It surely isn't straightforward!

Thanks Mods! Fingers crossed SMS can overcome those hurdles and make it happen. With PCars offering day/night transitions and different weather conditions, endurance is my cuppa! =p

Mascot
19-01-2017, 14:18
Rene Rast at Hockenheim.
Is this pCARS or pCARS 2? He has already posted a pCARS 2 video at Spa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0oeZeYAYkQ

cluck
19-01-2017, 16:39
^^ I'm fairly* certain that's pCARS1 :yes:

* 100% . Before anybody asks, it's not because of the car and/or track, it's a particular graphical detail I can see.

Diamond_Eyes
19-01-2017, 20:10
Rene Rast at Hockenheim.
Is this pCARS or pCARS 2? He has already posted a pCARS 2 video at Spa.

Nobody can blame you for clutching at straws....

gotdirt410sprintcar
19-01-2017, 22:20
Ian Bell 99%? https://youtu.be/wL86HP_Xs98 lol. But it pretty good video shows how the cars move and flex a couple crashes and a crazy finish.

Mascot
20-01-2017, 06:29
Has it been 'weeks' yet?

Bealdor
20-01-2017, 06:39
Has it been 'weeks' yet?

Almost. ;)

Mascot
20-01-2017, 06:41
Almost. ;)

How about now?

Bealdor
20-01-2017, 07:25
http://youtu.be/18AzodTPG5U

Invincible
20-01-2017, 07:28
I heard if you whisper "Ian Bell" three times in front of a mirror in a candle lit room, you will summon him and he will answer all your questions about pcars 2. But be sure to have a good bottle of wine ready for him. Otherwise he will turn you into a Wookie.

Konan
20-01-2017, 07:30
I heard if you whisper "Ian Bell" three times in front of a mirror in a candle lit room, you will summon him and he will answer all your questions about pcars 2. But be sure to have a good bottle of wine ready for him. Otherwise he will turn you into a Wookie.

Already tried that...all i got where the curtains on fire...;)

Bealdor
20-01-2017, 07:32
I heard if you whisper "Ian Bell" three times in front of a mirror in a candle lit room, you will summon him and he will answer all your questions about pcars 2.

Unfortunately he'll only speak Wookie.

Grijo
20-01-2017, 10:12

Wine? I thought that a Irish would prefer something more "strong and dry" like a good whiskey. Maybe thatīs why that didnīt work for me. :p. I tried with a 12 year old Chivas Regal bottle...

RomKnight
20-01-2017, 10:13
You should've use proper whiskey Grijo :D

cluck
20-01-2017, 12:47
Unfortunately he'll only speak Wookie.I asked him if I could say anything, yet, about Project CARS 2. He replied

aarrragghuuhw uughguughhhghghghhhgh huuguughghg awwgggghhh aaaaahnr hnnnhrrhhh wuuh huuguughghg uughghhhgh aaahnruh huuguughghg aaaaahnr uughghhhgh raaaaaahhgh

To be honest, that seemed quite a long answer for "yes" or "no", so I took it that the answer was no.

Bealdor
20-01-2017, 12:52
To be honest, that seemed quite a long answer for "yes" or "no", so I took it that the answer was no.

He didn't say no.
He made a hilarious "Why did the chicken cross the road" joke and you didn't get it... ;)

Bro, do you even Wookie?

Mascot
20-01-2017, 13:07
He didn't say no.

In that case, can I share what I think I know?

Sankyo
20-01-2017, 13:07
He didn't say no.
He made a hilarious "Why did the chicken cross the road" joke and you didn't get it... ;)

Bro, do you even Wookie?
Well if he replies to a pC2 question with a chicken joke, I'd take it to mean "no" as well...

cluck
20-01-2017, 13:14
In that case, can I share what I think I know?
aarrragghuuhwI don't know much wookie, but I know the word "No!" when I see it ;)

(EDIT : In seriousness, I don't know what the ground rules are here regarding "what I think" or rumours. See what the mods say :))

Sankyo
20-01-2017, 13:17
(EDIT : In seriousness, I don't know what the ground rules are here regarding "what I think" or rumours. See what the mods say :))
PEGI-3

Mascot
20-01-2017, 14:14
I won't say anything then. Apart from... nah. Better not.

Konan
20-01-2017, 14:19
I won't say anything then. Apart from... nah. Better not.

Can you whisper it in my ear? :cool:

cluck
20-01-2017, 14:43
Can you whisper it in my ear? :cool:no

:p

F1_Racer68
20-01-2017, 15:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr3sBks5o_8 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr3sBks5o_8)

What he said.....

gotdirt410sprintcar
20-01-2017, 16:41
He better come out and play or i will share more videos. What is 99%sure about

Ian Bell
21-01-2017, 00:29
OK, no specifics but the handling is transformed now. The real drivers are now raving about it (for many of the cars, the rest are in progress) when they started out (at our request) fairly negative overall. This is all up on WMD2 and the thousands in there have seen it unfold over the last year to what we have now.

Another huge breakthrough we've made is in the pad control code. It's really 1000% easier to handle with the pad now that we've nailed the filters and in combination with the much more realistic over the limit handling..

poirqc
21-01-2017, 00:43
OK, no specifics but the handling is transformed now. The real drivers are now raving about it (for many of the cars, the rest are in progress) when they started out (at our request) fairly negative overall. This is all up on WMD2 and the thousands in there have seen it unfold over the last year to what we have now.

Another huge breakthrough we've made is in the pad control code. It's really 1000% easier to handle with the pad now that we've nailed the filters and in combination with the much more realistic over the limit handling..

I don't know what kind of hardware they use to give this feedback. But with that in mind:

Is there a plan to match that handling as close as possible, on the various steering wheel the game will support? I understand different models give somewhat different FFB, but having the globals settings carefully calibrated per models would be great! :)

Thanks,

LukeC
21-01-2017, 01:28

Ooh, I'm really excited.

By the way, is the philosophy with pcars2 going to be the same as with Pcars 1 in the sense that the game is going to be exactly the same across all platoforms in the terms of the handling model and graphical options such as FOV, option to remove steering steering wheel and hands, heat haze, crepuscular Rays ect.

Thanks in advance.

Konan
21-01-2017, 04:39
One thing's for sure: the plot thickens...:cool:
Little by little more info is trickling out...can't wait for the dam to break...lol

Ian Bell
21-01-2017, 05:10

Just to be slightly more specific on this point, even those that like to 'tap steer' will find that our new filters work beautifully and give a very affirming experience (disclaimer, I'm a pad tap steerer...).

Ian Bell
21-01-2017, 05:34

They couldn't afford me :)

Konan
21-01-2017, 05:36
They couldn't afford me :)

No need to downgrade either...:cool:

Mascot
21-01-2017, 07:52
Just to be slightly more specific on this point, even those that like to 'tap steer' will find that our new filters work beautifully and give a very affirming experience (disclaimer, I'm a pad tap steerer...).

I'm guessing this is for development purposes only, and you have a motorised full motion Leo Bodnar cockpit tucked away somewhere..?

Sorry to interrupt, by the way - please keep talking about pCARS 2.

;)

Edit: could these new pad settings be patched into pCARS 1? You'd instantly grab a shed-full of new sales on consoles.

hkraft300
21-01-2017, 09:36
I'm 99% sure pcars2 will give iracing some serious headaches.

We're building a very comprehensive ratings based system into pCARS2. You can choose the 'quality' of the people you prefer to race with/against. We have much more coming in this vein but I don't want to steal the thunder from the upcoming announcements.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?49762-Why-bother&p=1320200&viewfull=1#post1320200

Sorry couldn't help myself.

Diamond_Eyes
21-01-2017, 09:49
I'm 99% sure pcars2 will give iracing some serious headaches.

Couldn't agree more

Bring It....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS-e68fl_XQ

PostBox981
21-01-2017, 11:42
Edit: could these new pad settings be patched into pCARS 1? You'd instantly grab a shed-full of new sales on consoles.

No need to do that: Once you get your hands on PC2 you wonīt give PC1 another go anymore. :)

Konan
21-01-2017, 12:13
No need to do that: Once you get your hands on PC2 you wonīt give PC1 another go anymore. :)

I'll add to that: or it would be for nostalgic reasons...:cool:

Hobbs77
21-01-2017, 12:41

...and that's just because of the game pads?;)

gotdirt410sprintcar
21-01-2017, 14:32
Thank you SMS for a rating system for the life of me I don't get racing like some guys out there. There is no way Im putting my 500+ wheel threw that I don't even hold on to it when I know I'm heading head on in too a wall or even side ways at a fast speed . It's the first impact that is the worst then grab it. Good news great job

FS7
21-01-2017, 21:31

Is PCars2 going to have multiple default controller setups that cater to different driving styles?
I'm just curious, I'm fairly smooth with my inputs and in my experience generally controller setups that work well for tap and/or sloppy inputs don't work so well for smooth inputs.

Dresden
21-01-2017, 23:43
Great news about the gamer pad handling. People like me prefer (due to laziness) to just sit down and play, so this news is epic! Unfortunately we console gamers also tend to jump up and down like little brats when things do not work. So fingers crossed!

On a side issue are we going to get a section on this forum for PCars 2, or are the threads for both games just going to be continually merged together?

gotdirt410sprintcar
22-01-2017, 00:47
I have a good one are you or have you guys scanned more tracks ? I think it's a good idea but the cost of doing so might be alot. And is it easy to add or update game with new info since you have scanned tracks already .

Konan
22-01-2017, 00:57
Are you talking about Pcars1? In that case it would be a bad move to introduce new tracks when the sequel could benefit more with them...
Don't forget that SMS (while being quite different) is STILL a company trying to make a profit.
Laser scanned tracks are very expensive and from a purely bussiness point of view new tracks would be better implemented where they can generate a profit...:cool:

Mascot
22-01-2017, 06:44
On a side issue are we going to get a section on this forum for PCars 2, or are the threads for both games just going to be continually merged together?

At the very least it would be nice if WMD 2 members were allowed to share their impressions of general gameplay improvements in a little more detail with the rest of us. I don't mean info about new features still under NDA, but opinions about control, FFB, handling etc and how it compares to pCARS 1 would be great.

breyzipp
22-01-2017, 08:38

I wonder if all the tracks from PC1 will be in PC2 as well. I don't care so much if the car roster changes and some cars from PC1 won't be in PC2 anymore since I'm very confident a lot of new fun cars will make in as well. But the tracks of PC1, damn I love that roster. There are already so many games out there with Spa, Silverstone, Monza, Laguna Seca, Nurburgring, etc. and rightfully so, these tracks are the best in the world. But after years and years of racing they don't bring that fresh feeling anymore that brand new tracks bring.

Before PC1 I never even heard of Brno or ZIC and those 2 tracks turn out to be some of my favorite ones in PC1 just because they are totally new to me. Would hate to see them left out in PC2 since that would mean I would need to give PC1 still a go after PC2 is out. :)

I'm also a location completist. Dubai is also one of my favorite locations in the game, love the desert scenery and the challenging corners on that track. The main track configurations are already in, even the outdoor international circuit of the Kartdrome, but it would be nice to have the remaining 2 tracks in the game as well, being the smaller oval handling and hill handling circuits. Even Real Racing 3 got them in. :) I don't think the extra work for those tracks is that big since basically the map itself is already done, it's just putting some finishing work in the track config itself. And I really like those tiny circuits as well, they are great to start driving a new vehicle and work on tuning and setup. The Müllenbachschleife in PC1 is a similar tiny track, a big thumbs up to put that in the game, I use it quite often to try out new road cars.

Another thing I hope for as an XBox One gamer is optimalisations for Project Scorpio. The specs of that thing bring it close to a gaming PC so I hope we won't have to play the watered down standard XBox One version on the Scorpio. :) Since their affiliation with Microsoft I'm sure Turn 10 is doing the same with Forza 7.

TerminatorGR
22-01-2017, 10:20
Awesome that the gamepad controls are getting specific attention. Not only because they needed improvement, but mainly because the gamepad still is what the vast majority of players use even in this kind of racing games. Project Cars isnt competing with games like iRacing, it is competing with Forza and Gran Turismo, especially this year with Forza 7 and GT Sport. Gamepad controls and the console version in general must be perfect.

gotdirt410sprintcar
22-01-2017, 11:25
Yeah I mean pcars2 I know it's alot of money but it's a great investment I would think.

hkraft300
22-01-2017, 11:55
Pcars1 gamepad control just needed tweaks to taste. Nothing was actually wrong with it. Steer, brake, throttle.
Ship pcars2 with a little better presets is all it needs.

You can't tell me half the complaints were really that a jump to a more advanced SIM on console was too much for most people. Just because you can "drive" in GT/FM doesn't mean you can drive.
There's also car setup and the vastly different character of the different cars in the game. Some may have begun with a GT car and found it great, while some jumped to Formula car and kept putting it into a wall. Then blamed the game control settings for their lack of understanding what's going on.

Sims aren't pick-up-and-play. They need a fair bit more involvement than what a casual gamer has been conditioned to over the years.

I feel it's a little unfortunate that the gamepad control is getting so much attention and filters and screwing with. But I have a wheel now so whatever :p

xMetalHead515
22-01-2017, 12:04
Are there any plans to implement mandatory pit stops and custom grid in race weekends in solo mode? That would improve the experience so much!

Shogun613
22-01-2017, 12:21
Pcars1 gamepad control just needed tweaks to taste. Nothing was actually wrong with it. Steer, brake, throttle.

You can't tell me half the complaints were really that a jump to a more advanced SIM on console was too much for most people. Just because you can "drive" in GT/FM doesn't mean you can drive.
There's also car setup and the vastly different character of the different cars in the game. Some may have begun with a GT car and found it great, while some jumped to Formula car and kept putting it into a wall. Then blamed the game control settings for their lack of understanding what's going on.

Sims aren't pick-up-and-play. They need a fair bit more involvement than what a casual gamer has been conditioned to over the years.

I feel it's a little unfortunate that the gamepad control is getting so much attention and filters and screwing with. But I have a wheel now so whatever :p
My sentiments exactly. Using a game pad is fine once you get into the rhythm with your muscle memory, but if you buy PCars, you need to know it's on another level from most console racers, and to get the most out of it a wheel is definitely what you NEED. You can't expect to get the most out of simulation software with hardware that wasn't designed with that kind of hard core simulation in mind.

Sankyo
22-01-2017, 12:45
At the very least it would be nice if WMD 2 members were allowed to share their impressions of general gameplay improvements in a little more detail with the rest of us. I don't mean info about new features still under NDA, but opinions about control, FFB, handling etc and how it compares to pCARS 1 would be great.

The problem is that with the game still in pre-alpha phase (big deja-vu here :)), many things are likely to change still so the only relevant impressions would be the (positive) ones of stuff that isn't going to change anymore (e.g. what Ian posted above about GamePad controls). At this moment almost nothing is final yet, so posting impressions may confuse things more than they clarify, especially when things tend to start living their own lives on the Interne once or in the open...

poirqc
22-01-2017, 13:33
The problem is that with the game still in pre-alpha phase (big deja-vu here :)), many things are likely to change still so the only relevant impressions would be the (positive) ones of stuff that isn't going to change anymore (e.g. what Ian posted above about GamePad controls). At this moment almost nothing is final yet, so posting impressions may confuse things more than they clarify, especially when things tend to start living their own lives on the Interne once or in the open...

They're aiming at a septemberish release, as mentionned before.

Isn't still being in pre-alpha state, left not much time for extensive Q&A before release?

Schadows
22-01-2017, 17:44
We're building a very comprehensive ratings based system into pCARS2. You can choose the 'quality' of the people you prefer to race with/against. We have much more coming in this vein but I don't want to steal the thunder from the upcoming announcements.With that information, it point more and more to a launch window purchase ^^

Lotsofcashisthemaingame
22-01-2017, 17:59

Can we have a track/car list soon, like the injustice 2 reveals...it made the hype train that much bigger.... thank you for this game, I LOVE the first one

konnos
22-01-2017, 19:18
It's still too early for full-on hype train.

Diamond_Eyes
22-01-2017, 20:36
thought we were saying "weeks"..... I was 99% hoping on Feb 2017 to begin the reveal

BullWinkle
22-01-2017, 21:24
It's still too early for full-on hype train.

:)

FS7
22-01-2017, 23:21

One of the problems related to controls was the lack of in-game information imo.

There's a good amount of options for customizing controller but there should be a short explanation in-game for each option, how it affects controls, etc, that's game developing 101 imo. Having to stop playing the game to look up info on the web is a huge turnoff for most people.
Also, players should have the option to adjust controller settings (as well as visual, audio, and driving aid settings) in any game mode either through the pause menu or in the garage, like it works in other games. Having to leave the track to go back to the main menu every time you want to change settings then having to go through another loading screen to test a change in controller setup is another huge turnoff for most people.

I agree with your points but I do think my suggestions would make things more straight forward in PCars2 and make the game more accessible and enjoyable to more players, hopefully SMS will be implementing something like that in PCars2.

Wolfe
23-01-2017, 06:13
You cannot tweak PCARS1 to properly accommodate the "tap steer" method, the way >90% of racing games can be played and are often designed to be played. You can dampen the steering, but it will be too slow in some circumstances, and still too fast in others. You can reduce the maximum lock, but then you might not have enough steering lock for certain corners and are liable to spin from a lack of countersteer. You can enable Opposite Lock Help, but it doesn't distinguish between small oversteer moments or larger ones so you're likely to overcorrect.

When you need to countersteer, a real car or FFB wheel offers self-aligning torque for guidance. Other games offer some semblance of that via their input filtering. You would think that's what Opposite Lock Help is for, but it's not that helpful. Even if you don't tap steer, countersteer is a stab in the dark unless you have time to feel it out (visually). The smallest kicks of the rear end are the worst, such as accelerating out of a corner in the wet. With appropriate dampening, that's what the tap steer method is best for, making small corrections quickly.

Of course, it's not everyone's playstyle so I assume we can expect settings and options to accommodate those who prefer direct millimeter-precision steering like PCARS1.

Scuderia Paul
23-01-2017, 06:20
The reason why controller issues are getting so much attention is that the vast majority of PCars2 players will play with the controller. If SMS don't address the issues out of the box then only negativity will spread.

Until September, all of my PCars experience was with a controller as I only bought my wheel when Assetto Corsa arrived. On launch day with PCars I tried the Ford Sierra Cosworth first and immediately knew it was too twitchy. A little experimentation and it was sorted. No problem whatsoever and I went on to love it for over a year until my wheel was bought.

SMS need to nail the default set-up as so many people jump straight on social media nowadays to rant about everything and no company wants negativity spreading like that a second time.

hkraft300
23-01-2017, 06:46
Tap steer etc looks to be all resolved for ze sequel. Bell himself is a tapper!
Still I think they should write "get a wheel" on the cover. This game is so much more with ffb. I know all the reasons some can't accommodate a wheel. Hell I can barely fit it. My IKEA setup is hilarious.
So you know, while you lot carry on about gamepad support, I'm keen on the ffb improvements to pcars2 :p

Mascot
23-01-2017, 08:25
While we are on the subject of controls: After resetting my PS4 and before reloading my current profile I had the great misfortune to play pCARS with completely default settings this weekend. Good God. The horror and disappointment I felt on release day twenty months ago came flooding right back. The game actually felt significantly worse than I remembered, and completely unplayable with a joypad. Using the wheel improved things a little but control still felt incredibly unpredictable and counterintuitive, and FFB was completely vague and insipid. I'd forgotten just how much research and fettling it took to get acceptable basic vehicle control and force feedback. Jack Spade really should be knighted. It took months of entering suggested parameters then experimenting, tinkering and tweaking, and all that before even attempting to tune the cars and set them up properly. It was a bloody horrible experience, and it's no wonder so many people dropped pCARS like a hot potato.

Even as an enthusiast I'm not sure I'd have the patience to go through all of that again, especially knowing what a long and painful road it was. The payoff was ultimately worth it but even ignoring the control issues, a quick scan through the patch history reminded me what a problem child pCARS was for many, many months after release. It's a real shame because a lot of people are now missing out on what eventually became a fantastic racing experience but to be honest, after being reminded of the default controls and the state of the game at launch, I cannot blame them for being frustrated and repulsed, especially since the vast majority of them would have been joypad users.

I'm encouraged by recent posts suggesting that SMS now recognise the importance of a solid, stable and more rounded launch for pCARS 2, with improved 'out-of-the-box' default settings and a selection of tried-and-tested presets. External QA should hopefully go a long way to achieving this. As much as I love what pCARS eventually morphed into, after my experiences this weekend and being reminded of the state of the game at launch and the work involved in getting it playable, there's no way I'll be cutting pCARS 2 as much slack or being as patient as I was with the first game.

This post might sound disingenuous but my sentiments are sincere. Project CARS 2 is my most anticipated title for 2017 and I really want it to be a success, but for that to happen I strongly believe it must be a joy to play from day one for the average gamer, and not just an ongoing project that only patient and knowledgeable enthusiasts can eventually mould into shape.

chris99
23-01-2017, 09:11
Agreed.

It's all too fresh in my mind. Much of my first 300 hours of play was consigned to trying to sort the FFB settings, strange vibrations (errant white lines) and graphics' stutters etc. Luckily, the game was strong enough to compensate and kept me coming back thanks to the stunning graphics. I am actually pretty happy with it now ... but I don't race online.

I haven't even played with career mode or car configurations and I'm not sure I ever will. Life's too short and I'm not a serious racer - I just like driving fast through the pack, so maybe not typical of SMS customers.

It doesn't look like there will be an early access, so we can only hope that the QA is exhaustive enough to cover all those PC configurations and wheels out in the wild, so that it doesn't take so long to be able to just relax and enjoy actually racing.

poirqc
23-01-2017, 13:46
The reason why controller issues are getting so much attention is that the vast majority of PCars2 players will play with the controller. If SMS don't address the issues out of the box then only negativity will spread.

Until September, all of my PCars experience was with a controller as I only bought my wheel when Assetto Corsa arrived. On launch day with PCars I tried the Ford Sierra Cosworth first and immediately knew it was too twitchy. A little experimentation and it was sorted. No problem whatsoever and I went on to love it for over a year until my wheel was bought.

SMS need to nail the default set-up as so many people jump straight on social media nowadays to rant about everything and no company wants negativity spreading like that a second time.

At the same time, depending on the turbo boost and transmission setting, this car can be twitchy even with a steering wheel! It's like you went to hard right away! :D

As for setups, I'm in the same boat as you guys.

I don't regret spending way too much time understanding how FFB works in this game and general, but it wore me off. pCars is pretty good now, but this is what is keeping from really enjoying other sims too. The initial setup. It'll be the same for pCars 2. If the initial setup is minimal, it's a sure buy, right away. But if there's more involved, i'm not sure i'll do it again.

I'm hoping for the best!

breyzipp
23-01-2017, 13:50
While we are on the subject of controls: After resetting my PS4 and before reloading my current profile I had the great misfortune to play pCARS with completely default settings this weekend. Good God. The horror and disappointment I felt on release day twenty months ago came flooding right back. The game actually felt significantly worse than I remembered, and completely unplayable with a joypad. Using the wheel improved things a little but control still felt incredibly unpredictable and counterintuitive, and FFB was completely vague and insipid. I'd forgotten just how much research and fettling it took to get acceptable basic vehicle control and force feedback. Jack Spade really should be knighted. It took months of entering suggested parameters then experimenting, tinkering and tweaking, and all that before even attempting to tune the cars and set them up properly. It was a bloody horrible experience, and it's no wonder so many people dropped pCARS like a hot potato.

Even as an enthusiast I'm not sure I'd have the patience to go through all of that again, especially knowing what a long and painful road it was. The payoff was ultimately worth it but even ignoring the control issues, a quick scan through the patch history reminded me what a problem child pCARS was for many, many months after release. It's a real shame because a lot of people are now missing out on what eventually became a fantastic racing experience but to be honest, after being reminded of the default controls and the state of the game at launch, I cannot blame them for being frustrated and repulsed, especially since the vast majority of them would have been joypad users.

I'm encouraged by recent posts suggesting that SMS now recognise the importance of a solid, stable and more rounded launch for pCARS 2, with improved 'out-of-the-box' default settings and a selection of tried-and-tested presets. External QA should hopefully go a long way to achieving this. As much as I love what pCARS eventually morphed into, after my experiences this weekend and being reminded of the state of the game at launch and the work involved in getting it playable, there's no way I'll be cutting pCARS 2 as much slack or being as patient as I was with the first game.

This post might sound disingenuous but my sentiments are sincere. Project CARS 2 is my most anticipated title for 2017 and I really want it to be a success, but for that to happen I strongly believe it must be a joy to play from day one for the average gamer, and not just an ongoing project that only patient and knowledgeable enthusiasts can eventually mould into shape.

I agree the full 100% here and what you describe is exactly what I went through both with a wheel and the XBox controller. If it works, PCARS is brilliant but it it fails then it fails miserably too. No game should have such horrible out-of-the-box control settings IMO.

Even today there are cars that feel good to me, there are also cars that still feel bad. And it's not Formula or karts or something, one modern GT car can feel great while another can feel completely uncontrollable.

I hope things will be very different in PCARS 2. For out-of-the-box settings for me Assetto Corsa is the reference for a wheel and Forza is the reference for a controller.

Roger Prynne
23-01-2017, 14:27
At the same time, depending on the turbo boost and transmission setting, this car can be twitchy even with a steering wheel! It's like you went to hard right away! :D

As for setups, I'm in the same boat as you guys.

I don't regret spending way too much time understanding how FFB works in this game and general, but it wore me off. pCars is pretty good now, but this is what is keeping from really enjoying other sims too. The initial setup. It'll be the same for pCars 2. If the initial setup is minimal, it's a sure buy, right away. But if there's more involved, i'm not sure i'll do it again.

I'm hoping for the best!

What if you get both? :smile-new:

cluck
23-01-2017, 14:31
What if you get both? :smile-new:Must resist inserting obvious meme :o

I find it quite odd when I read all the complaints about FFB and people having to spend hours, days and weeks "getting things right". I've adjusted nothing since the day I started playing pCARS. Could I get a better experience? Maybe, but it's never got in my way of enjoying the game for over 5 years now :o . I guess I'm one of those that are just very easily pleased*

* yes, that is what she said!

Roger Prynne
23-01-2017, 14:38
^ That's not what she told me

SlowBloke
23-01-2017, 14:46
You know Im a total fan of Project Cars Cluck but if it wasnt for Jack Spades and Poirqc I dont think I would have stuck around long after I bought Project Cars.

Out of the box default feel is just not good for me (Steering gain at 2.00 being the worst culprit).

They between them have given me the tools that transform Project Cars into my own personal heaven.

Im very happy Ian has confirmed templates will be in place in Project Cars 2 for FFB and drastic improvement on controller setup up out of the box so that things are more approachable for those who do not have the patience or inclination to tinker.

cluck
23-01-2017, 14:56
You know Im a total fan of Project Cars Cluck but if it wasnt for Jack Spades and Poirqc I dont think I would have stuck around long after I bought Project Cars.

Out of the box default feel is just not good for me (Steering gain at 2.00 being the worst culprit).

They between them have given me the tools that transform Project Cars into my own personal heaven.

Im very happy Ian has confirmed templates will be in place in Project Cars 2 for FFB and drastic improvement on controller setup up out of the box so that things are more approachable for those who do not have the patience or inclination to tinker.My use of "odd" was, in hindsight, probably not the best word to use! I'm not suggesting, of course, that people are odd for not getting on with the standard FFB, only that I find it odd that they don't. It's a very subtle difference :). Mostly, I don't understand the 'why' of 'why they don't like it', because it has never got in my way of enjoying the driving :)

But I know this has been discussed at length, in many threads, so I'll leave it at that from my side :).

Cholton82
23-01-2017, 15:00
Once you've got the correct global ffb settings and individual car settings from Jack spade it's easy isn't it ? Maybe if I come accross a car I haven't used it takes 2 minutes to input the data from J.Spade and then it's in the bank .
I can't comment on the controller fiasco as I've not entertained it , probably going to get flamed but using a controller surely the steering inputs must be dampened down and a degree of clever correction going off in the background making you think your a driving God . Do yourselfs and the game justice and get a wheel .

Mascot
23-01-2017, 15:01
I find it quite odd when I read all the complaints about FFB and people having to spend hours, days and weeks "getting things right". I've adjusted nothing since the day I started playing pCARS. Could I get a better experience? Maybe, but it's never got in my way of enjoying the game for over 5 years now :o . I guess I'm one of those that are just very easily pleased*

I think it might be more a case of 'ignorance is bliss'.

From my own recent experience I've got no doubt that you'd get a richer and more rounded experience with some basic tweaks applied. Even if you think the cars control well enough on defaults (and there are doctors who would be willing to talk to you about that) then the FFB would be orders of magnitude better with some Jack Spade love and attention, especially with your G25. It's game-transforming stuff, it really is.

Take the blinkers off, dude. There's nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Konan
23-01-2017, 15:03
Once you've got the correct global ffb settings and individual car settings from Jack spade it's easy isn't it ? Maybe if I come accross a car I haven't used it takes 2 minutes to input the data from J.Spade and then it's in the bank .
I can't comment on the controller fiasco as I've not entertained it , probably going to get flamed but using a controller surely the steering inputs must be dampened down and a degree of clever correction going off in the background making you think your a driving God . Do yourselfs and the game justice and get a wheel .

Not the old "get a wheel" discussion please...that only leads to arguments from both sides...:cool:

cluck
23-01-2017, 15:11

From my own recent experience I've got no doubt that you'd get a richer and more rounded experience with some basic tweaks applied. Even if you think the cars control well enough on defaults (and there are doctors who would be willing to talk to you about that) then the FFB would be orders of magnitude better with some Jack Spade love and attention, especially with your G25. It's game-transforming stuff, it really is.You're almost certainly correct and I did suggest as much in my first post :).

As I said, though, it hasn't got in my way of enjoying the game and, as some are aware, I am no slouch around the race track. Maybe that's in spite of the FFB, who knows, I only know that it's something that never gets in my way.

It's just something that has been at the back of my mind since the day the game hit the shelves :)

I would also add that I haven't touched a thing in pCARS2, in regard to FFB and probably won't either. Is it better? Probably, but I'm the last person on the planet that people should turn to for an opinion on that, for the above reasons :D.

hkraft300
23-01-2017, 15:24
Some say J. spade doesn't use J.Spade settings...
I'm with Cluck. Drop the steering gain and I'm plenty happy with it. Default everything else. I've played many hours with default and with Shogun's settings but couldn't tell the difference tbh. Caster angle has a much bigger effect.
Agreed default steering gain of ~3.0 is silly on a G29.
Also some like SoP feel and it's not hard to switch that on/off.
Then again some like to tweak the car setup incessantly. A nice setup has better effect on the feel and behaviour of the car than ffb tweaks.

poirqc
23-01-2017, 15:28
You're almost certainly correct and I did suggest as much in my first post :).

As I said, though, it hasn't got in my way of enjoying the game and, as some are aware, I am no slouch around the race track. Maybe that's in spite of the FFB, who knows, I only know that it's something that never gets in my way.

It's just something that has been at the back of my mind since the day the game hit the shelves :)

I would also add that I haven't touched a thing in pCARS2, in regard to FFB and probably won't either. Is it better? Probably, but I'm the last person on the planet that people should turn to for an opinion on that, for the above reasons :D.

FFB isn't really about being fast on a track. It's a another tool to do it, but it's not a must. People turn fast laps with joysticks and mouses. But a carefully tuned FFB is another good tool to help with the immersion. It all depends on what you aim for.

Personnaly, i tried(it's an infinite quest) to set it up as immersive as possible(I mean, it's a computer game, as far as it can go). If having a good FFB means a specific car is hard to drive, so be it. But at the same time, i don't have moral problems about fixing this car behavior in the garage.

You could say i'm still fixing a problem with sliders. And you're right. It's just that learning mechanics seems more fun than understanding specific FFB tools! :D

Anyway, the point is that a more polished game, on release, will please more people, regardless of what they're looking for.

Mahjik
23-01-2017, 15:42

From my own recent experience I've got no doubt that you'd get a richer and more rounded experience with some basic tweaks applied. Even if you think the cars control well enough on defaults (and there are doctors who would be willing to talk to you about that) then the FFB would be orders of magnitude better with some Jack Spade love and attention, especially with your G25. It's game-transforming stuff, it really is.

Take the blinkers off, dude. There's nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Keep in mind that those from WMD, like Cluck, had opportunities to try/test Jack's tweaks long before pCARS was released. Not everyone is/was a fan of his settings. FFB is a personal preference. What pCARS1 lacked was just a good starting point for users to begin tweaking. There was an attempt to get a basis for all wheels, but time was short and no one agreed on anything.

Mascot
23-01-2017, 15:47
Keep in mind that those from WMD, like Cluck, had opportunities to try/test Jack's tweaks long before pCARS was released. Not everyone is/was a fan of his settings. FFB is a personal preference. What pCARS1 lacked was just a good starting point for users to begin tweaking. There was an attempt to get a basis for all wheels, but time was short and no one agreed on anything.

Ah, interesting insight. Thanks. Hoping (and expecting, from recent reports) for a better day one experience from pCARS 2. :)

cluck
23-01-2017, 15:57
I didn't really want to mention it - because it opens a different can of worms - but Mahjik highlighted a very important point. I tried Jack Spade's settings, prior to release, I'll admit, but I found either absolutely no difference, or a difference so slight as to not worth having present (it being something that adds extra troubleshooting steps in case of any weirdness) :).

Konan
23-01-2017, 16:02
I didn't really want to mention it - because it opens a different can of worms

Good one...dinner? Lol

Bealdor
23-01-2017, 16:20
I didn't really want to mention it - because it opens a different can of worms - but Mahjik highlighted a very important point. I tried Jack Spade's settings, prior to release, I'll admit, but I found either absolutely no difference, or a difference so slight as to not worth having present (it being something that adds extra troubleshooting steps in case of any weirdness) :).

That's probably your wheel. I have a G27 and I'm also not feeling that much difference. Maybe I'm just ignorant, I don't know... :biggrin-new:

F1_Racer68
23-01-2017, 17:17
I find that the entire discussion around FFB and Controller settings is a classic case of "Careful what you wish for. You might get it."

Everywhere I go on this forum I see threads where people ask for MORE OPTIONS and MORE ability to customize (custom championships, more weather options, more this, more that, blah blah blah) yet the ONE area where we DO have the full gambit of customization available, the vast majority are complaining about it being "too much" and "too complicated".

I guess I can only assume that the reason it is "too complicated" is because people don't really understand WHAT the options do. They are far more technical settings than say defining the types of cars and rules of a custom series. As a result, while people say they WANT total customization control, what they really mean is "We want total control over the things we understand. Everything else needs to be automagically done for me via that voodoo that you do.".

Sadly, as with most things, You can never please everyone all of the time. While I do hope SMS finds a way to simplify the FFB and Controller setups for "the masses", I also hope that they retain some of the tweaking ability that many of us also want. Especially after pCARS1 and all the research that most of us have done. Now that I think I DO finally understand that "voodoo that you do" when it comes to those settings, I really hate the thought of losing the customization options again.

Maybe they do need to be simplified a bit, and perhaps less discrete granularity, but please don't take it away completely.

Just one guys 5 cents worth (can't give 2 cents worth in Canada anymore :) ).

poirqc
23-01-2017, 17:51

Well, he went through alot of changes as the game got updated. I can say the last versions were really different than the early ones.

That's probably your wheel. I have a G27 and I'm also not feeling that much difference. Maybe I'm just ignorant, I don't know... :biggrin-new:

I don't agree with you on this one. To me, it sounds like saying: "You know, there's a 1000 way to setup the FFB, but don't mess with the globals and car FFB, it's only there to be pretty"

I mean, why not leave it hidden instead?

But anyway, it's not may 2015 anymore. Options and accessible knowledge is there for everyone now! :D

Bankai_Bullett
23-01-2017, 19:17
So I got a question or two...

How certain is ANYBODY about BoP implementation in multiplayer?
And will more support for league racing happen?
Oh wait!.... Lobby size for console increase. Will it happen? 16 is too small me feels. 20+ would be better... and doable?
What about setting up a proper multi-class race offline, where I can select the classes? I had to wait for the invitational to Le Mans just to race the right classes.

rocho
23-01-2017, 20:07
In Pcars I decrease the steering gain at about 140 (the default value completely spoils the FFB, IMO) and I also use Jack Spade's files, and I have been in love with Pcars for years.
Now, in Pcars 2, the default FFB (I can't give any details) is simply great. I think that when it is finished, Pcars 2 is going to play in a different league in relation to the rest of the simulators.

EHM
23-01-2017, 22:03
Now for the most important question, the issue that will make or break the entire game..... ;)

Are the leader lights on the LMPs and possible GTE additions working?

It would be very nice assuming there is some sort of integrated spectator mode with the improved Esports component.

breyzipp
23-01-2017, 22:37
I guess I can only assume that the reason it is "too complicated" is because people don't really understand WHAT the options do.

Which is not hard to understand when you see all the dozens of different options on the left side of the screen. And then also a whole blank page of nothing in the center of the screen, which could be used perfectly to at least give some explanation of what the highlighted setting does.

Also, if PCARS 1 would have had various default preset configurations of all those settings that would have gone a long way into giving players an initial positive impression of the overal car handling.

But what's done is done. Let's look forward to PCARS 2 and what I read so far about the control settings looks interesting to say the least. :)

rosko
23-01-2017, 23:29
FFB setting in pcars>quantum physics

Sum Dixon-Ear
24-01-2017, 12:39
The 'things'... the wonderful 'things'... my god... those 'things'!

Mascot
24-01-2017, 12:58
Dude... lay off the toadstools!

Sum Dixon-Ear
24-01-2017, 13:10
Dude... lay off the toadstools!

Goddammit Mascot... the things... THE THINGS!!!!

Mascot
24-01-2017, 13:22
Goddammit Mascot... the things... THE THINGS!!!!

So, pCARS 2 contains an object, article, item, artefact, commodity, device, gadget, contrivance, instrument, utensil, tool, implement, entity, body, whatsit, what-d'you-call-it, what's-its-name, what's-it, whatchamacallit, thingummy, thingy, thingamabob, thingamajig, oojamaflip, oojah, gizmo, doodah, doobry, gubbins, doodad, doohickey, doojigger, dingus and a thingo.

No wonder the WMD2 guys are excited!

DreamsKnight
24-01-2017, 13:22
the thing i like the most about FFB in project cars is that it learned to me what forcefeedback is and how to have a proper one. what i like less is that it is the office of simple business complications. i could say: the FFB in pcars is italian DOC. (i'm italian, i know. :D )

i'm one of those people when read in the same line "out of the box" and "sim racing" lost hairs. out of the box doesn't exist. personalize is what i want. probably not so much italian now. :D

but the question is: who felt plesure in pacrs, has tried recently something else? i'm playing other sims at the moment. assetto corsa, for sure, has the worst FFB i ever tried. i miss things to configure. i lack options. rfactor 2: felt pretty good. 3 slides, but the right ones. everything is there, in a good way. raceroom experience. some slides, all those are necessary. good out of the box, perfect after 10 minutes of tuning.

Sankyo
24-01-2017, 13:57

So, pCARS 2 contains an object, article, item, artefact, commodity, device, gadget, contrivance, instrument, utensil, tool, implement, entity, body, whatsit, what-d'you-call-it, what's-its-name, what's-it, whatchamacallit, thingummy, thingy, thingamabob, thingamajig, oojamaflip, oojah, gizmo, doodah, doobry, gubbins, doodad, doohickey, doojigger, dingus and a thingo.

No wonder the WMD2 guys are excited!
Especially the oojamaflip. It's awesome.