PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel

mouthpiec
28-12-2016, 08:48
Hi,

Can you please let me know your suggestion on what steering wheel I should get?
Currently I have the Logitech G27, but went faulty twice (loose calibration) and the retailer seems to be willing to refund the cost. Shall I get the G29 of G920 (both seems to have the same hardware of the G27) or there are other brands models in the same price range?

thanks

Python-Five
28-12-2016, 09:00
In that price range you can only go two ways: Logitech G29 or Thrustmaster T300. Opinions are somewhat fiftyfifty but I favor the G29 for my PS4. I am also looking for Fanatec Wheels but a complete set wil cost you around € 1700... For me, as I am only starting to play this game, the Fanatec is not an option right now.

mouthpiec
28-12-2016, 09:11
thanks for your feedback. The advantage of the T300 is that the wheel is detachable and you can buy add-on wheels

Python-Five
28-12-2016, 09:15
thanks for your feedback. The advantage of the T300 is that the wheel is detachable and you can buy add-on wheels

Do a search on this forum on the G29 and T300 before you buy. Read about other people's experience with the wheels and decide than. I can understand the add-on matter but you'lld have to upgrade the pedals and buy a second wheel. The T300 won't be in the same price range when you do.

konnos
28-12-2016, 09:16
Be aware that the T300 base pedals are quite crappy and the G29 is a more complete package in that sense, but the wheel is a lot better in the T300. Unless you can fork out for the Integral version, might be a best solution to go for G29 at this price.

Silraed
28-12-2016, 11:14
I agree with konnos.

I would honestly only buy the T300 over the G29 if you intend on buying one of the better pedal sets available to go with it. If you would be sticking with the standard 2-pedal T300 set, then I honestly believe the G29 is a more complete and better package.

mouthpiec
28-12-2016, 11:16
thanks to all .... but what about reliability? My G27 disappointed me, I had two different brand new wheels and both failed after 6 months. The problem is with optical encoder in the wheel becoming loose thus the sensor will return incorrect readings of the position of the wheel.

Silraed
28-12-2016, 11:21
There are horror stories from both sides, I don't really think one is significantly safer to buy in terms of reliability than the other.

Roger Prynne
28-12-2016, 13:08
thanks to all .... but what about reliability? My G27 disappointed me, I had two different brand new wheels and both failed after 6 months. The problem is with optical encoder in the wheel becoming loose thus the sensor will return incorrect readings of the position of the wheel.

As far as I know, they fixed that with a metal optical encoder.

SlowBloke
28-12-2016, 13:17
Ive had a G25 and G27 and Im advised thos ehave about the same mechanism solutions as the latest Logitech wheels.

Based on that - T300 all the way. There is no comparison. Even if its slightly out of budget range I would then save up until it is in budget.

There is a big difference in FFB quality and how quick you can feel and correct a potential slide.

I dont think it will make you quicker - some of the fastest guys out there are on inexpensive wheels.

Downside though is the basic T300 comes with terrible pedals - the G27 ones are much better.

If you already like sim racing - I would probably opt for the T300RS GT edition which has better pedals - I would not even think about going Logitech despite the cost difference:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-T300-RS-GT-Edition/dp/B01HRYFODO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1482934523&sr=8-4&keywords=t300

Mahjik
28-12-2016, 13:21
Go for the Thrustmaster TX Servo Base with your choice of wheel. Then mod your G27 pedals with the Nixim springs and Bodnar USB cable to use them with the Thrustmaster:

http://www.nixim.com/
http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=187

DreamsKnight
28-12-2016, 14:42
hey guys, there isn't only the t300rs. there is also the alcantara version. the best rim for his price range, t300 base, t3pa pedals which are equal if not better than g27.

obviously, better quality, more money.

konnos
28-12-2016, 16:45
Yes that's the one I was talking about, the T300 Integral. It's quite a bit more pricey than the G29 though, that's why I said IF he can afford it.

mouthpiec
29-12-2016, 08:34
thanks all for your feedback. Reseller confirmed that my G27 need to be replaced. I asked them to provide price for the following:

-G29 (direct swap with G27, but without shifter)
-T300 RS GT Edition - add 170eur
-T300 Ferrari Integral Racing Wheel Alcantara Edition - add 140eur
-TX Racing Wheel Leather Edition - add 140eur

what do you guys think? is it worth the extra money to get the Thrustmaster?

mouthpiec
29-12-2016, 15:03
Go for the Thrustmaster TX Servo Base with your choice of wheel. Then mod your G27 pedals with the Nixim springs and Bodnar USB cable to use them with the Thrustmaster:

http://www.nixim.com/
http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=187

Unfortunately I cannot keep any of the G27 items.

Haiden
31-12-2016, 14:37
thanks all for your feedback. Reseller confirmed that my G27 need to be replaced. I asked them to provide price for the following:

-G29 (direct swap with G27, but without shifter)
-T300 RS GT Edition - add 170eur
-T300 Ferrari Integral Racing Wheel Alcantara Edition - add 140eur
-TX Racing Wheel Leather Edition - add 140eur

what do you guys think? is it worth the extra money to get the Thrustmaster?

If you think you're going to be racing for the long haul and plan to evolve your setup over time, then I would say go with the T300. It's more scalable than the Logitech and has a better ecosystem of add-ons and mod support. It also has better FFB--stronger, smoother, with a higher degree of fidelity. Remember... the G29 isn't cheaper, if later down the road, you find yourself stuck options-wise, and end up buying a T300 or something else anyway. :) If you like sim-racing and plan to stick with it for the long haul, then my advice is, buy the best hardware you can afford. Every time I've tried to save some money and bought under my budget, I've regretted it and ended up replacing it later.

mouthpiec
31-12-2016, 15:58
I've been racing with a wheel for around 4 years now, and from the beginning of gaming using a joystick and joypad.
This morning I order the T300 GT Edition, should be in hand in a couple of weeks since currently it is not in stock.

thanks to all for your feedback and have a wonderful year!

Diamond_Eyes
31-12-2016, 16:02
I like the look of the TS-PC but shame it is not available for the PS4
Associate this wheel with the kind of motorsport classes i enjoy
360deg round wheels and F1 ferrari are just not my bag

mouthpiec
31-12-2016, 16:03
according to the reviews I read the TS-PC is 50% better than the T300, but more expensive.
had to draw a line somewhere :)

Haiden
31-12-2016, 17:46
according to the reviews I read the TS-PC is 50% better than the T300, but more expensive.

I heard the same. 40-50% more strength, 20% better fidelity. Of course, those were estimates, based on the reviewer's personal feel. I'm curious and waiting to see the comparative reviews with the CSW-V2. :)

Diamond_Eyes
31-12-2016, 18:10

Yup, respect that...

BTW Could you post us your thoughts here once you get into your new wheel?

Mahjik
31-12-2016, 18:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ4bJwdCwbs

Here's a very recent video on the TS-PC...

There is always something better around the corner. The T300 is a fantastic wheel. I used a friends before and you will love it. I just purchased myself a TX Base and will be retiring my G25. Based on the video, I don't think the TS-PC is worth it over the TX Base/T300 for my needs.

Diamond_Eyes
31-12-2016, 18:46
I reckon the TS-PC base has same tech as the new PS 'GT Sport' wheel? Will do some research.....

bigal1000
01-01-2017, 12:58
T300

cippa lippa
01-01-2017, 13:48
why not t150 thrustmaster and save money? i have it and it's great

Haiden
01-01-2017, 14:23
why not t150 thrustmaster and save money? i have it and it's great

Because they aren't the same. You're only saving money, if you don't care about the things the make the T300 a better piece of hardware.

mouthpiec
25-01-2017, 07:02
received the T300RS GT edition .... and I must say that the difference with the G27 is huge.
First of all it has no dead zone when wheel is centered, wheel is more heavy but also smoother, and FFB is more realistic
The pedals feeling is way better and the software support when compared is better.

Downsides are it has no shifter, and the leather feeling of the G27 is nicer.

all in all, the price difference is worth it.

thanks to all for your suggestions.

konnos
25-01-2017, 09:07
The pedals are not way better, I think you are getting a little excited :D Enjoy your new wheel!

mouthpiec
25-01-2017, 09:14
The pedals are not way better, I think you are getting a little excited :D Enjoy your new wheel!

the T300RS standard pedals are a bit shitty, but not the T300RS GT edition ;) I think they are the same as the T3PA

konnos
26-01-2017, 13:21
Oh right, I wasn't aware of the GT bundle. Yes they are the T3PA variety, which is quite a bit better. I thought you were talking about the the T300 GTE.

Pisshead30
27-01-2017, 09:46
Ive had a G25 and G27 and Im advised thos ehave about the same mechanism solutions as the latest Logitech wheels.

Based on that - T300 all the way. There is no comparison. Even if its slightly out of budget range I would then save up until it is in budget.

There is a big difference in FFB quality and how quick you can feel and correct a potential slide.

I dont think it will make you quicker - some of the fastest guys out there are on inexpensive wheels.

Downside though is the basic T300 comes with terrible pedals - the G27 ones are much better.

If you already like sim racing - I would probably opt for the T300RS GT edition which has better pedals - I would not even think about going Logitech despite the cost difference:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-T300-RS-GT-Edition/dp/B01HRYFODO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1482934523&sr=8-4&keywords=t300

I think I read somewhere the T3PA pedals that come with the GT edition are slightly modified compared to the normal T3PAs, something about the brake pedal not being adjustable or something???
Trying to decide which wheel to buy myself so been researching and reading into them, was gonna get the t300rs but everybody says the pedals are sh1t so looked at the t300 GT then saw t500 too lol

mouthpiec
27-01-2017, 10:18
I think I read somewhere the T3PA pedals that come with the GT edition are slightly modified compared to the normal T3PAs, something about the brake pedal not being adjustable or something???
Trying to decide which wheel to buy myself so been researching and reading into them, was gonna get the t300rs but everybody says the pedals are sh1t so looked at the t300 GT then saw t500 too lol

I think the only mods of the GT version are the faceplates, the brake pedal is fixed (cannot move it to the left of right), but also you have included the Conical Rubber Brake Mod.

Dragnir
06-02-2017, 16:35
my 2 cents, as I am in the same situation right now:

I've owned a T300RS for about five months now, using it now and then (not a "hardcore" racer) in Assetto and PCars.
The FF is excellent really, it's very precise too - but now after only 5 months the brake pedal isn't recognized anymore.

I noticed when I slammed into my AI opponent on first Nurburgring corner... no brakes at all.
So i checked the settings, and even when fully pressed down, the "slider" for brake went from 25% to 50% to 75% and back.. so no using.

I RMAed it back and now am thinking of either:

T300RS again but with T3PA-PRO pedals
G920
T500RS - which is kind of a let down because I would have to buy another rim as I cant stand the mounted paddles

konnos
06-02-2017, 16:51
RMA as in you sent the whole thing back and got a refund? If you did, and can afford it no problem, I d get the T300 Integral, or the T300 GT. The T3PA are quite better than the regular pedals (crappy) and they are not that much worse than the T3PA-Pro, if you are not bothered by the inverted option.

The next step up will be a lot more expensive, so it's probably the best compromise.

Dragnir
06-02-2017, 16:58
RMA as in you sent the whole thing back and got a refund?

yeah, as in sending the whole package back to the retailer (not thrustmaster itself, its caseking in Germany here where I bought from) and getting a refund to my account.
Ive read good things about the G920 "out-of-the-box", not so good about the wheel tho. escpecially compared to the T300.

the T300 was like 250 bucks (€), so about the same as for a G920 when I re-order.
OR a T300 again as I really liked the FFB a lot + 170.- for the T3PA-PRO (they just look very stable to me)

Mahjik
06-02-2017, 17:38
I think you'll be disappointed with a G920 wheel after using the T300. Another options (not necessarily cheaper) would be to do a TX base, your rim of choice and then Fanatec CSL Elite Pedals. I've recommended this combo to many people and they love it.

Dragnir
06-02-2017, 18:53
Well. I really don't like those options of either getting decent pedals with a "mediocre" wheel (G29/920, at least from what I've read)
OR getting a really good wheel with shitty pedals (T300 basic) - I was really disappointed with those letting me down after only 5 months, come on...
OR the T500 RS which is rumored to have the older base but very good pedals...

They should make something inbetween available, like T300 package with T3PA-Pro. instant buy for me.
And Fanatec and the like..well that's just out of my range, I'm not attending to be the next online champ. (for now :P)

to sum it up: really liked the rotating paddles on the T300, can't even imagine to steer into a corner and have to break my fingers to reach the fixed paddles on the T500. So i would even have to buy an additional rim to fix that. No.
And if I go with the T300 again, which might well happen, well.. the fanatec elite pedals LC arent that far off from the T3PA-Pro really (220€ to 170€ here)
And after my experience with the basic T300 pedals, which were sliding even while being placed against a solid wall, I want something way more heavy and stable for pedals. reliability would be a big plus, too.

So, my plan is to get a new wheel for the amount Im getting refunded plus some very solid pedals for around lets say 200-ish

Mahjik
06-02-2017, 18:57
And if I go with the T300 again, which might well happen, well.. the fanatec elite pedals LC arent that far off from the T3PA-Pro really (220€ to 170€ here)

Look my suggestion. I think you'll find it's one of the best balances between your wallet and sim satifaction.

morpwr
06-02-2017, 19:08
Well. I really don't like those options of either getting decent pedals with a "mediocre" wheel (G29/920, at least from what I've read)
OR getting a really good wheel with shitty pedals (T300 basic) - I was really disappointed with those letting me down after only 5 months, come on...
OR the T500 RS which is rumored to have the older base but very good pedals...

They should make something inbetween available, like T300 package with T3PA-Pro. instant buy for me.
And Fanatec and the like..well that's just out of my range, I'm not attending to be the next online champ. (for now :P)

to sum it up: really liked the rotating paddles on the T300, can't even imagine to steer into a corner and have to break my fingers to reach the fixed paddles on the T500. So i would even have to buy an additional rim to fix that. No.
And after my experience with the basic T300 pedals, which were sliding even while being placed against a solid wall, I want something way more heavy and stable for pedals. reliability would be a big plus, too.

So, my plan is to get a new wheel for the amount Im getting refunded plus some very solid pedals for around lets say 200-ish

If you can swing it get the pcracer its a lot better then the t300. Worth every penny.:)

morpwr
06-02-2017, 19:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ4bJwdCwbs

Here's a very recent video on the TS-PC...

There is always something better around the corner. The T300 is a fantastic wheel. I used a friends before and you will love it. I just purchased myself a TX Base and will be retiring my G25. Based on the video, I don't think the TS-PC is worth it over the TX Base/T300 for my needs.

It is. With a full size wheel from fanatec its really nice.

Dragnir
06-02-2017, 19:14
thnx for the suggestions guys, but for the rim/base, if I had to choose, I'd go with the T300 I guess, as I'm more into GT3 mainly. not much interested in open wheel (driving myself at least)
And that'd be well enough for my ambitions ;-) It's mainly the pedals that let me down.

mouthpiec
07-02-2017, 07:30
had the G27 and now I have the T300RS GT Edition, there is no comparison, go for the T300RS GT Edition.

Dragnir
07-02-2017, 16:44
Today I got the email that my refund is on its way to my account ;-)

I guess I'm gonna go with the T300GTE (as I don't like any PS/Xbox Buttons on it) and - probably - the Fanatec CSL LC Pedals.

jpilgrim82
08-02-2017, 21:33
Inside sim racing just did a comparison video of TS-PC racer vs CSW V2. CSW V2 came out ahead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCyFQvHU-u8&t=539s

Silraed
09-02-2017, 01:51
CSW V2 came out ahead

Completely as expected though, it is in a whole other price bracket above the two cheaper wheels. It should have been in the video as a kind of reference point not as part of the comparison.

F1_Racer68
09-02-2017, 03:39
Inside sim racing just did a comparison video of TS-PC racer vs CSW V2. CSW V2 came out ahead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCyFQvHU-u8&t=539s

For clarity, that is a 3 way comparison of the CSW v2, CSL Elite (both with the F1 rim) and the TC-PCRacer.

Of course the CSW v2 came out way ahead, but it was a draw between the CSL Elite and the TC-PCRacer.

konnos
09-02-2017, 07:57
Yes that was the point, to find out just HOW much better the Fanatec V2 is. Decent review, like always. Man I'd love to spend this kind of money (or even more...) for a wheel and base at some point.

honespc
09-02-2017, 11:18
Go pick the t300 without hesitation. Plays in another league compared to the g29. You just have to then buy the t3pa add on and that's all, though the standard pedals are perfectly fine as long as you can set them firmly to the surface you are on, or put them on a gaming sit, and they will be fine too

The wheel is perfectly fine. People have had problems with the t300 in the past just because they ramped up the force feedback so hard, to stupid levels I mean. You use the reasonably good ammount of ffb and this wheel will last just as much as any logitech.

I bought mine two years ago and zero problems. You will experience a couple of weird noises after the first month of use (the belt just adjusting after its used has begun), for then dissapear the month later. That's about all the problems you'll experience with the t300. In short, none.

konnos
10-02-2017, 19:59
Well you say that with confidence, but my T300 base is being repaired/replaced and mailed back to me as we speak. I never raised ffb more than 75% and in game I use regular JackSpade values more or less. The quality isn't all that great, but all hardware has its issues nowadays anyway. And my problem was not with how much FFB % I was using, but my power supply just died. In the meantime, my old DFGT is getting some love again. I m not saying that Logitechs last forever, but T300 sure have a reputation of being peculiar.

Dragnir
11-02-2017, 17:03
thnx again for all the help guys!
I now went with a T300 Integrale, which comes with the Ferrari Alcantara Wheel and the T3PA pedals ;-) 350 bucks all together.

Dragnir
13-02-2017, 18:11
oh boy! it's f***** awesome!
I'm really happy with my decision, as I already liked the T300 before, just the pedals not so much.
This is completely different! The Ferrari Alcantara wheel is just superb except the D-Pad isnt working for some reason, but who cares. But i can put brake balance on the rotary switch which is quite nice.

Biggest surprise was the pedals really, the T3PA are way better than the basic plastic crap. They are heavier, they dont slide around on my carpet beneath the desk, throttle is a tad too easy maybe.
but the brake pedal is phenomenal! no comparison to before...also comes with the conic rubber brake mod but so far i have no need to mount it as I can feel the braking quite well.
And if all fails i can always go for different pedals later on really. but so far Im just very happy, put it out of the box and been racing the last 2 hrs in my work pants ^^

one thing: the power cable/plug has to be put in REALLY hard, my first T300 had that as well. Else it will go off/loose power connection.