PDA

View Full Version : Quick questions from a newbie at PS4 Pcars/Wheels (T300 RS)

GS_powered
28-12-2016, 10:47
Hi guys,

So it's true, my first next gen console and my first ever wheel.

Treated myself to a T300 RS wheel and a Wheel Stand Pro to play, amongst others, Project Cars and my first experience was terrible, I was making strenght just to turn the wheel on a quick race, and actually thought it was broken after loosing all feeling on the wheel a few miles down the road.
Now I know it's a failsafe device that shuts down the mechanism when things get too hot :)

This said, and since many questions have been asked already about FFB settings and individual cars settings, I'll just use good generic FFB settings and leave the car settings be.

Still, what I wanted to know is:
Do I need to plug the wheel to a PC at any time to update anything before playing? I just connected it to the PS4 and drove ;)

Also, the D-PAD + MODE button, should I do that to use the 900 lock AND THEN configure the wheel on the game?
I actually just found out today how to do this.

Anyway, any help will be appreciated,
Thanks!

hkraft300
28-12-2016, 11:04
Not sure what the deal is with the T300 modes and rotation etc. With the G29 I calibrated for max rotation and followed the prompts. Then in car settings I adjust steering ratio (rotation), caster angle (feel and weight) and ffb master (reduce clipping) to get the wheel response I like.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you may have to plug T300 to your PC, update and set the fan to run always, to avoid the ffb cutout.

See you on the track :)

GS_powered
28-12-2016, 11:29
I would correct you if I knew better :)

This is exactly what I need, input from various players so I can learn from their experience! :encouragement:

hkraft300
28-12-2016, 11:49
There's a lot going on with pcars.
It can all seem overwhelming, but baby steps. This forum will have 99% answers to your questions.

Btw don't set pcars to auto-backup your save game to PSN cloud. You want to occasionally do it manually.
Pcars sometimes has a profile corrupt issue and if you have auto back-up, the corrupted file gets uploaded too, so you'll have to start from scratch (wheel/pedal calibration and everything) which is a proper pain.

GS_powered
28-12-2016, 14:01
I will pay attention to that as soon as I start the Carrer mode, for now I'm really just trying to get a good wheel response so I can then take it to the next level.

hkraft300
28-12-2016, 14:58
What do you mean by wheel response?
Career mode is good to start in something slower and work your way up. learn the basics. Also the invitationals are a good segway to experience the different cars in the game. Most of the cars are great fun to drive so you'll definitely find new favourites you wouldn't take a second look at otherwise.

GS_powered
28-12-2016, 15:25
What I mean is I'd like to start the career mode knowing that I wasn't having a very far from real experience due to a badly configured wheel.

Like I said, my first drive was a pain, car felt like a loading truck :)

I think I'll try later today the FFB settings from Storm Trooper and try that mode switching directly on the wheel in order to have the 900 lock. (pressing D-pad + MODE button)

hkraft300
28-12-2016, 15:41
Oh.
Steering ratio. Adjust it in car settings before you load the track (eg in garage, set steering ratio to a lower number, save setup to the track you will race on. I run ~13.5:1).

GS_powered
29-12-2016, 08:10
Yesterday I tried Storm Troopers general FFB settings and I must say I was able to keep the car in the tracks, which is great. I just need to feel a bit more when the car passes over objects... I was driving na old car and on the grass I could see the front wheel going up and down working the suspension, but couldn't feel it on the wheel...

Hopefully I'll get things right with time, there are just too many variants :confused:

John Hargreaves
29-12-2016, 08:27
What I mean is I'd like to start the career mode knowing that I wasn't having a very far from real experience due to a badly configured wheel.

Like I said, my first drive was a pain, car felt like a loading truck :)

Try altering the FFB from default to classic in the settings, it sounds like it's clipping (when the signal asks too much of the wheel and loses all subtlety), or decrease the tyre force to about 40% and try from there. There is always a bit of faffing around whichever sim you choose, but it's usually fixable with a bit of experimentation. Half the fun is messing about with this stuff.
Remember the old saying, 'If it ain't broke, don't stop messing around until it is, then you can fix it'.

gotdirt410sprintcar
29-12-2016, 08:32
Go to morpwr he has a t300 use his settings any questions I'm sure he will help you. Then after that put jack spade in-car settings and you should be good.

lancashirelad
29-12-2016, 09:33
Hi guys,

So it's true, my first next gen console and my first ever wheel.

Treated myself to a T300 RS wheel and a Wheel Stand Pro to play, amongst others, Project Cars and my first experience was terrible, I was making strenght just to turn the wheel on a quick race, and actually thought it was broken after loosing all feeling on the wheel a few miles down the road.
Now I know it's a failsafe device that shuts down the mechanism when things get too hot :)

This said, and since many questions have been asked already about FFB settings and individual cars settings, I'll just use good generic FFB settings and leave the car settings be.

Still, what I wanted to know is:
Do I need to plug the wheel to a PC at any time to update anything before playing? I just connected it to the PS4 and drove ;)

Also, the D-PAD + MODE button, should I do that to use the 900 lock AND THEN configure the wheel on the game?
I actually just found out today how to do this.

Anyway, any help will be appreciated,
Thanks!

Download the Thrustmaster wheel app and update the wheel firmware by connecting it to your pc. Plug wheel into ps4 before you power on ps4. Don't calibrate wheel in project cars just input my settings. That's it enjoy.

GS_powered
29-12-2016, 09:43
I did input all the settings for general FFB, used your values ;)

Now, I havent updated the wheel's firmware, will have to do that later today, but my first experience with your settings is that I can control cars much better, but would like to feel more whenever he goes out of the track.

I did set the wheel to 900 using the d-pad+mode button, and then calibrated the wheel again and if felt right, are you saying I shouldn't mess with this, just plug and play?

Also, regarding Jack Spade's individual car settings, there seems to be a few, Fy+SopLateral, 66%, Classic... what would be my best choice?

Thanks

hkraft300
29-12-2016, 10:36
Bumps plus? I mean if that's feel you want when you go off track.
I don't know about race cars with metal bushes in suspension and steering links, but road cars you barely feel bumps through the steering wheel. Suspension, tyres and chassis takes up the movement so you feel it through the seat instead of the wheel.
I wonder if some cars in the game have poor bump steer geometry, but that's a topic for another thread.

GS_powered
29-12-2016, 10:58
I have to say I've also thought of that, hehe, I do drive a Seat Ibiza 2 seats in real life, so I feel everything on the road, but when driving a Renault Megane I barely feel bumps, so in that aspect I guess the game is doing a good job.

Hell, maybe I'm just not used to a real sim :)

What I can tell is that the more I play, the more I feel I should have 3 pedals and a shifter... so sad these things are so freaking expensive :(

gotdirt410sprintcar
29-12-2016, 14:50
Bumps plus? I mean if that's feel you want when you go off track.
I don't know about race cars with metal bushes in suspension and steering links, but road cars you barely feel bumps through the steering wheel. Suspension, tyres and chassis takes up the movement so you feel it through the seat instead of the wheel.
I wonder if some cars in the game have poor bump steer geometry, but that's a topic for another thread.
That's where body stiffness comes in too play car wieght divided by body weight is 110 pounds is body weight. you can tell a difference you can play with linkage scale to I think I got mine at 85.

lancashirelad
29-12-2016, 16:27
It's a matter of taste, no right or wrong. I don't set any degrees or recalibrate. Plug and play except for my global settings. Some people enjoy the Jack spades settings but I don't use any individual car settings. Personally I've not been on project cars for a while but been playing assetto corsa. I believe they have made big improvements to the force feedback in project cars 2 and it will be more user friendly so looking forward to trying that.