PDA

View Full Version : Fanatec and PCars

seamastergmt
30-12-2016, 15:29
Hello,

I love PCars. In my opinion it is the best console sim racer ever offered. I have logged hundreds of hours and am still having as much fun as I did on day one. I am also a Fanatec user so guess how unhappy I am with Sony for dropping support on all new racing games? It guts me that I spent the money I did for a Fanatec just to have Sony and Fanatec get into a pissing contest over royalties or whatever it is they are squibling about.

Throughout all of this, PCars still works with my Fanatec. I have heard rumors that SMS haven't released any recent updates to the game so Fanatec users can drive their wheels. Apparently if SMS doesn't update the game then the new patch Sony wants on all racing games to remove Fanatec support doesn't happen. I don't know if this is true at all, it is a rumor. Maybe there are posts on the forums that address this but i haven't read them. What I do know is that every day when I get home from a long day at work I can relax and race PCars on my Fanatec. If this ability is due to intervention by SMS then I want to shout out a HUGE thanks to them. They have made an outstanding game, the FFB is top notch, multiplayer is about as perfect as you will find, graphics are great and I get to use my very expensive Fanatec setup to race with. Thank you SMS I really appreciate being able to enjoy PCars on my Fanatec on PS4.

I hope Fanatec and Sony work out their differences before PCars 2 is released. If not, I will understand if SMS can no longer support Fanatec on PS4. Thanks for all the support for now.

Happy New year to everyone,

Seamastergmt

Python-Five
31-12-2016, 00:51
I have been playing for about six weeks now and got the Logitech G29 but I am already drooling all over the Fanatec stuff. For me it is a matter of time before I get them but if they are not working on PS4, I'd buy a PC to keep using them.

Goresh
31-12-2016, 10:21
Get a pc guys, only way to send a message to Sony imho. I too am a Fanatec user and don't regret moving to pc for PCars.

Python-Five
31-12-2016, 13:37
I am going to get myself a copy of Project Cars for PC. The actual PC hardware can come later. I am still saving up for the fanatec stuff. So plenty going on on my wish list ;-)

hkraft300
31-12-2016, 21:19
Don't bother. Pcars2 is expected to land 3rd quarter this year :)
Build your pc while you wait!

gotdirt410sprintcar
01-01-2017, 22:33
You can buy a gaming pc for like 600. You have to start some where thats my plan add too it when I can. Can't have it all at once that will just take the fun out of it or longer to pay the loan lol.

hkraft300
02-01-2017, 01:27
You can buy a gaming pc for like 600. You have to start some where thats my plan add too it when I can. Can't have it all at once that will just take the fun out of it or longer to pay the loan lol.

I wouldn't buy a name brand built PC if you're on a budget. Better to buy bits and pieces put it together yourself, it's not hard they all plug in fairly straightforward.
That way you can get a good spec and customised to your wants.
$600au don't get you Jack s* around here lol

Edit: I've been frothing over Fanatec too. For that money + pc reckon I'll get myself a go kart and compete instead. That's my goal for the new year :)

Ryzza5
02-01-2017, 04:09
Sometimes the best way to get in the PC gaming door is second hand with the potential for a GPU upgrade down the track. If gaming consoles are going to re-released every couple of years now then PC gaming is making a much more sense. Right up until Valve or nVidia come up with some sort of radical plan to charge us for online multiplayer.

hkraft300
02-01-2017, 05:32
That's another way to go. I couldn't care less for a 2nd hand case or MB (if the latter is the spec I want).
That's half way there isn't it?

Ryzza5
02-01-2017, 06:40
If the CPU is a decent i5 or i7 from ~2012 or newer then the only major player left is the graphics card (and suitable power supply). The compatible RAM and motherboard will likely already be taken care of.

Mascot
02-01-2017, 07:34
Paging Sum Dixon-Ear for his experiences with the Cronusmax, which enables ALL PS4 driving games to be used with Fanatec wheels with full FFB and zero lag.

Sum Dixon-Ear
02-01-2017, 10:55
I've only tried the CronusMAX PLUS with Assetto so far... but it appears to be perfect. Unlike previous adapters/emulators it doesn't just turn your wheel into a glorified controller, but tricks the console into 'seeing' your Fanatec wheel as a Logitech G29 instead. Due to the method involved there is full FFB (as opposed to previous adapters which could only accommodate rumble effects due to pad limitations), wheel sensitivity and zero (perceptible) lag... there was a bug in the older firmware versions that induced lag but that has now been eliminated.

All you need to get up and running is the Cronus (under 50), a good quality 4 port USB 2.0 hub (under 10 - I use a Hama which works flawlessly) and firing up USBView (http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities/usbview.zip) on a PC to identify the USB port numbers on your hub of choice.

It does seem to be the perfect solution for under 60, my wheel is working beautifully... obviously there are a few drawbacks with learning button layouts (Fanatecs use different rims etc) but, all in all, I can't recommend it highly enough.

hkraft300
02-01-2017, 12:35
Problem solved^
Thanks gents!

Python-Five
04-01-2017, 11:16
I am sooooo tempted to get the Fanatec stuff now (we wants it) and wait for PCars2 to build my PC like hkraft suggested. Is the experience you get from a Fanatec set sooo much better than with the G29 that it justifies the € 1800 pricetag?

Ryzza5
04-01-2017, 20:59
Yep I've got the Cronus Max as well although have only used it for Driveclub. Not the most amazing experience but I'll put that down to Driveclub at this point I think. Still beats using the gamepad in terms of enjoyment. The other bonus is of course now using the Xbox gamepad on PS4 for other titles.

inthebagbud
04-01-2017, 21:31
I am sooooo tempted to get the Fanatec stuff now (we wants it) and wait for PCars2 to build my PC like hkraft suggested. Is the experience you get from a Fanatec set sooo much better than with the G29 that it justifies the € 1800 pricetag?

Oh yes .

I started racing with pcars with the TX wheel and within 6 months had bought the fanatec and there is no comparison. My only niggle is that from discussions and reading the fanatec is not as good on xbox console as ps4, but if your going pc I would think you will have a blast.

It is still a lot of money but I use the wheel 15/20 hrs each week and it is one of the reasons I enjoy the game so much

seamastergmt
05-01-2017, 01:10

I can say that the Fanatec is better than the MadKatz and the T300. I have had both. The T300 is the better between it and MadKatz. The Fanatec never loses FFB during long race sessions. The pedals are tons better than the other makers. It is just a thoroughly enjoyable experience to use.

As for PC, I have a gaming PC now but have built up a large contingent of clean racer friends on PS4 and would be loathe to leave them and have to start all over again on PC...

Python-Five
05-01-2017, 08:47
Another question would be: BMW rim or Porsche rim? I tend to favor the Porsche rim for the leather. I don't care much for Alcantara...

Mascot
05-01-2017, 09:19
Another question would be: BMW rim or Porsche rim? I tend to favor the Porsche rim for the leather. I don't care much for Alcantara...

Neither - get the Formula rim. It's bloody awesome! :)

Python-Five
05-01-2017, 09:46
YES... that too ;-) I think, to keep things in perspective - moneywise, I would go with the CWS Base v2, Pedals v3 and the F1 Rim. Porsche Rim can come in later as does the Shifter.

Sum Dixon-Ear
05-01-2017, 10:18
I agree with Mascot, the Formula Rim (even the old Elite version) is bloody awesome. Went back to my GT style rim for a while and... just no. Formula FFB is so much more direct, stronger and nuanced... you can feel everything, like being connected directly to the steering column. Lovely bit of kit.

Python-Five
05-01-2017, 10:40
The Fanatec Shifter is COOL but not really necessary as very little cars work with H-pattern or Seq-Pattern shifters? Mostly Pedals? Right?
I am almost ready to order ;-)

hkraft300
05-01-2017, 22:20
You want the stick shift.
There are many awesome h-shift cars in pcars, and paddleshift+clutch feels horribly wrong.

Sum Dixon-Ear
05-01-2017, 22:53
Shifters are very, very cool... I haven't used one for years, but hooning around in touring cars etc. with a sequential was just amazing... I do really fancy hooking one up to the old rig again. Unfortunately (due to chronic osteo-arthritis in my knees) I'm a left foot braker only these days... so using the clutch, heel-toeing and an H gate shifter is out of the question. Get one, you'll love it mate.

hkraft300
05-01-2017, 23:58
PS stop with the Fanatec pics. making me moist.

MadMohawk
10-02-2017, 16:32
Doesn't the wheel mode need to be linked to a PC To work tho? I've the Titan one that's how i have to do it so bought a cheap Thrustmaster instead.

I wound up just getting a cheap Thrustmaster and no more issues.

Sum Dixon-Ear
10-02-2017, 21:21
Doesn't the wheel mode need to be linked to a PC To work tho?

Compatible Fanatec wheels plug into the CronusMAX PLUS which plugs straight into the PS4 via a USB hub. The only time you need the CMP plugged into a PC is for either firmware revisions or to initially flash the adapter into Wheel Edition Mode.

gotdirt410sprintcar
10-02-2017, 22:56
I think i might order the f1 rim for my T500/ T300 base i guess you would feel more or sell everything and buy fanatec gear but i would still have too spend money lol

Sum Dixon-Ear
10-02-2017, 23:03
I just got the F1 TM Rim, glad I did too.. it's not as well made or thought out as the Fanatec... but it's still very good. FFB feels so much nicer!

EDIT : Still need to complete the labelling, I've just done the buttons so far.