PDA

View Full Version : I really like the career mode

guybo
06-01-2017, 01:49
For a long time I have been playing sims online only. So few games have a decent career mode (I think GTL was the last one I played) and most of the time, they are boring- pick a car, do some races, it has an automated spreadsheet of scores. I love how you can choose a contract, there's invitational events and you get a taste of a lot of different cars in pCars. The choice of tracks and cars is awesome, there's weather (YES!) and even though it is scripted, it seems random enough to me if I don't go back and restart races. It plays like a game but it's a sim.

I just finished the Clio Cup, and although the AI difficulty varies quite a lot from track to track, being able to change the AI difficulty for each round is nice. So many other games only let you choose the difficulty when you choose your career and don't account for the game (or the driver...) being too good (or bad...) at certain tracks. What amazes me is that I just finished 8th place (92% difficulty) and had an awesome race battling AI the entire way. I came in an easy first in my first race (96% WTF?) and it wasn't as fun as that 8th place finish. I was actually battling for every point because the career championship was that close!

:applause: GG SMS

Mahjik
06-01-2017, 03:02
The AI skill will also vary based on the type of event (i.e. regional race, verses championship, etc) as well as racing Tier. i.e. 90% in karts is not the same as 90% in Formula C. It's to emulate your typical level of competition based on driver development. In the lower tiers, typically drivers are just learning their craft were as the upper tiers usually have the cream of the crop.

Dondo
06-01-2017, 03:11
Agree completely. I play several sims and have spent quite a bit of time in GRT2 and RRE. On a whim, I thought I'd try the career in Pcars and like you, I started in the Clio Cup. I haven't finished the series yet but I have to admit I'm having a blast. After so many races, you begin to recognize the cars and its just a cool feeling.

Konan
06-01-2017, 08:48
Can't argue with that...:cool:
I'm an offline player only myself and indeed the career mode in Pcars is very refreshing (even after almost 2years)
Only thing i would have liked different is that you would be able to see the team liveries before signing up...
But (coming from other racing titles on Ps4) i'm really pleased with how revolutionary this career system has been setup...
I therefore hope the changes in Pcars2 won't mess with the integrity of this mode and just improve where needed...:D

APR193
06-01-2017, 09:37
I hope for Pcars 2 they don't have the AI difficulty varying based on series in career mode, or at least have it as an option. It worked brilliantly the first time through, but removed all replayability for me as so many great series were just far too easy.

FS7
06-01-2017, 09:56
Career in PCars is really good. I do hope for a few improvements in PCars2, though.
Like option to choose weather or set it to random instead of scripted weather; longer championships; longer races in certain series; use all cars & tracks in career mode (some of my favorite cars in the game can't be used in career, WTF?).

TerminatorGR
06-01-2017, 12:58
Best career mode in mainstream racing games, it makes the GT's and especially the recent Forza's career modes look like a bad joke.

Mahjik
06-01-2017, 13:06
some of my favorite cars in the game can't be used in career, WTF?

Which cars?

Depending on the type of cars, that may or may not change for pCARS2.

FS7
06-01-2017, 13:50
Which cars?

Depending on the type of cars, that may or may not change for pCARS2.
Tracks not used in career: Cadwell Park, Willow Springs.
Cars not used in career: GT1 (McLaren F1 GTR, Mercedes-Benz CLK-LM), DTM (Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe DTM).

Mahjik
06-01-2017, 15:24
Tracks not used in career: Cadwell Park, Willow Springs.
Cars not used in career: GT1 (McLaren F1 GTR, Mercedes-Benz CLK-LM), DTM (Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe DTM).

Some of the cars are DLC (which we already know there were limitations to adding series for DLC content). Licensing likely prevented the DTM from being used in a series (same reason they couldn't use "race car like" liveries).

As for the tracks, Willow Springs isn't used for professional races. It's used for amateur racing (and lapping days) but that's about it. Personally, I don't think Caldwall makes a good track for "racing". I know they have events there but I do think it makes a good track for lapping.

FS7
06-01-2017, 15:48
Some of the cars are DLC (which we already know there were limitations to adding series for DLC content). Licensing likely prevented the DTM from being used in a series (same reason they couldn't use "race car like" liveries).

As for the tracks, Willow Springs isn't used for professional races. It's used for amateur racing (and lapping days) but that's about it. Personally, I don't think Caldwall makes a good track for "racing". I know they have events there but I do think it makes a good track for lapping.
So, you're saying I can create custom GT1 & DTM events in solo mode & online but having GT1 & DTM invitationals in career is not allowed by the license owners? That's seems really odd, especially taking into account that all the other DLC cars have career events for them.

Personally I like Big Willow for racing with fast cars such as FA & LMP1. Cadwell is nice for slow cars like GT5 & Clio Cup imo.

Mahjik
06-01-2017, 16:31
So, you're saying I can create custom GT1 & DTM events in solo mode & online but having GT1 & DTM invitationals in career is not allowed by the license owners? That's seems really odd, especially taking into account that all the other DLC cars have career events for them.

At least with Mercedes, there was a strict requirement of not having anything that resembled "DTM" as that is a specific series which is licensed with another sim.

The GT1 cars were DLC, and SMS had limitations of creating new series (really new tier/classes) with DLC cars (which is why they used invitationals for DLC). IIRC, cars that didn't require new tiers/classes were available in career (like the C7.R).

FS7
06-01-2017, 17:10
At least with Mercedes, there was a strict requirement of not having anything that resembled "DTM" as that is a specific series which is licensed with another sim.
I know, that's why in game the car is classed as TC3 and not DTM, but it's still odd that there isn't a TC3 invitational.

The GT1 cars were DLC, and SMS had limitations of creating new series (really new tier/classes) with DLC cars (which is why they used invitationals for DLC). IIRC, cars that didn't require new tiers/classes were available in career (like the C7.R).
There's no need for new tier for GT1, SMS could had created a GT1 invitational like they did for the 2 LMP900 cars (GT1 & LMP900 were in the same DLC pack, Racing Icons DLC), also every other DLC car that was released afterwards had events for them (the ones that didn't fit in any of the already existing events had invitationals included for them), and there were new classes added to career invitationals after the GT1 cars were released.

guybo
09-01-2017, 10:42

Personally I like Big Willow for racing with fast cars such as FA & LMP1. Cadwell is nice for slow cars like GT5 & Clio Cup imo.

I think they do this for the same reason a lot of racing events won't allow a race by a competing series on the same layout of a certain track. For example, Nascar and Indycar race on different layouts of Watkins glen because if they raced on the same layout, you'd have a direct comparison of which car is faster which Nascar doesn't want. F1 and Indycar always ran on different layouts of the Long Beach course for this reason- Inycar didn't want a head-to-head comparison showing how much slower they are than F1.

Mercedes is probably protecting their asset by limiting how it can be used in career mode. Manufacturers have all sorts of rules on their cars in games. That's the reason cars don't suffer realistic damage and fly apart like real cars do even at 100% damage. Manufacturers won't allow their cars to appear to not be strong.

Mahjik
09-01-2017, 13:55
There's no need for new tier for GT1, SMS could had created a GT1 invitational like they did for the 2 LMP900 cars (GT1 & LMP900 were in the same DLC pack, Racing Icons DLC), also every other DLC car that was released afterwards had events for them (the ones that didn't fit in any of the already existing events had invitationals included for them), and there were new classes added to career invitationals after the GT1 cars were released.

That was the one of (if not the) first DLC released. They likely didn't have everything in place to add invitationals.

guybo
11-01-2017, 01:57
My second hdd failed today and that's where pCars was installed..... Lost my career :(

sucks that it's saved in the same directory as it is installed to and not in My Documents/My Games.

Joethe147
16-01-2017, 01:38
The career is pretty good and is a real breath of fresh air when you compare it to what Gran Turismo and Forza have to other. However, there are some strange things that I find baffling and just don't understand. I actually findthat it doesn't quite live up to the potential it has.

Scripted weather, why? What possible good can come of knowing when a certain period of weather type will hit every time?

The drivers in career never stay the same season to season and you often get many different drivers winning races in the same championship, so there's often not a regular threat in the championship battle. And if you decide to stay another year, it'll be different drivers. Both this and scripted weather hurt immersion.

The social media feed is a great idea and done decently, but tweets repeat often and it gets tiresome. If anyone has played the NBA 2K series in the past few years, they do it brilliantly. It even picks out stats from your games accurately. Project Cars doesn't do much other then say it was a great race, bad race, or comment on pole/win/podium.

There's definite areas of improvement for future editions.