PDA

View Full Version : Open Wheeler "Barrier".

Scorpio26
08-01-2017, 00:04
My best mate and I come from racing backgrounds, and this is the first racing game that really caught our eye in terms of the options available for events, and pit stops, and just the overall level of detail that the game has! We really enjoy playing it together.

Sometimes we'll join another server full of other players, but find 90% of the time it's extremely difficult to get through a race cleanly (especially the first corner) of the race due to the many factors at hand - Other players being idiots, or just general bugs in general that happen at the start of a race that cause things to be unbalanced or glitchy coming into that first turn.

Generally, he and I will just set up a private server at Bathurst in Formula Rookies - But there is one little glitch I've noticed that keeps us from enjoying ourselves for too long.

I'm not sure if it's a delay in the server or something, but if I'm tucked in behind him down a straight in his slip stream and pull out last second for a move down the inside of the incoming corner, his car will "glitch out", his wheels will lock up and he'll spin into the outside wall. From my perspective I never hit him, and on my screen it looks like he pulled up the handbrake and spun himself into a wall - But from his end, I shunted him hard and offloaded him into a wall. I feel or hear no contact on my end, and purposely pull out early enough to avoid hitting him - There is at least a metre between our cars, yet it seems to always make contact on his end.

It's almost like there is an invisible force field that trails along the back of his car at high speeds, and if I get inside that field, it just repels him off into a wall - Like trying to force the same ends of two magnets together. Yet he's adamant I offload him every time. During slower corners I can get in close enough to actually hit the back of his car (I tested it), and can feel the contact, and see it physically in my car. Yet at the end of the straight, he'll just spin around the front of my car without any contact.

It happens in Karts as well. So I'm thinking its some sort of "barrier" for open wheels to avoid cars flipping over each other's wheels - Yet THAT still happens when two open wheelers are side by side and make contact.

Is this a known issue or happen to anyone else?

thomasjohansen
08-01-2017, 08:30
could it be a result of high ping/slow internet connection, and one of your games "detect" contact even though the other dont?

TKMSte66
08-01-2017, 08:52
could it be a result of high ping/slow internet connection, and one of your games "detect" contact even though the other dont?

It happens quite a lot. I have been accused many times for hitting people when as far as I am concerned I didnt. It's annoying. Never had the issue with any other game apart from this one.

DECATUR PLAYA
11-01-2017, 21:55
My best mate and I come from racing backgrounds, and this is the first racing game that really caught our eye in terms of the options available for events, and pit stops, and just the overall level of detail that the game has! We really enjoy playing it together.

Sometimes we'll join another server full of other players, but find 90% of the time it's extremely difficult to get through a race cleanly (especially the first corner) of the race due to the many factors at hand - Other players being idiots, or just general bugs in general that happen at the start of a race that cause things to be unbalanced or glitchy coming into that first turn.

Generally, he and I will just set up a private server at Bathurst in Formula Rookies - But there is one little glitch I've noticed that keeps us from enjoying ourselves for too long.

I'm not sure if it's a delay in the server or something, but if I'm tucked in behind him down a straight in his slip stream and pull out last second for a move down the inside of the incoming corner, his car will "glitch out", his wheels will lock up and he'll spin into the outside wall. From my perspective I never hit him, and on my screen it looks like he pulled up the handbrake and spun himself into a wall - But from his end, I shunted him hard and offloaded him into a wall. I feel or hear no contact on my end, and purposely pull out early enough to avoid hitting him - There is at least a metre between our cars, yet it seems to always make contact on his end.

It's almost like there is an invisible force field that trails along the back of his car at high speeds, and if I get inside that field, it just repels him off into a wall - Like trying to force the same ends of two magnets together. Yet he's adamant I offload him every time. During slower corners I can get in close enough to actually hit the back of his car (I tested it), and can feel the contact, and see it physically in my car. Yet at the end of the straight, he'll just spin around the front of my car without any contact.

It happens in Karts as well. So I'm thinking its some sort of "barrier" for open wheels to avoid cars flipping over each other's wheels - Yet THAT still happens when two open wheelers are side by side and make contact.

Is this a known issue or happen to anyone else?

This happened to me and a friend once he swore I hit him and I know I didn't. It could be a ping issue but I doubt it. If you hit a guys slipstream the right way at the right time you can really move the other persons car around a lot. Our whole group looked at video of the incident and there was never any contact. Most guys don't believe in it but coming from NASCAR games I know it's a part of racing. At high speeds the slipstream is like a part of the car and if you hit it correctly it's like hitting the guys car. It's a bit of a dirty move but very legal.

Diamond_Eyes
12-01-2017, 10:23
very difficult to write a code for car collision physics taking into account any lag between online MP participants...
probably some proximity thing triggers a canned response to an assumed collision.... :indecisiveness:
mind bending....

SlowBloke
12-01-2017, 11:08
Agreed on the issue but net limitations etc.. I would not expect a fix - I find the same isues in other games.

Easiest workaround is to acknowledge the limitation and avoid getting in that scenario ?

Ie if you know if you go within 1 metre it will do that - dont go within 1 metre.

DECATUR PLAYA
12-01-2017, 15:53
Agreed on the issue but net limitations etc.. I would not expect a fix - I find the same isues in other games.

Easiest workaround is to acknowledge the limitation and avoid getting in that scenario ?

Ie if you know if you go within 1 metre it will do that - dont go within 1 metre.

^See what I'm talking about. It's not a glitch its good air physics. The situation the the guy in the opening post is decribing is a great example of great air physics. If it is a glitch I would like a member of the team to come here and say that PCARS does not have draft physics and that I'm seeing things.

In NASCAR we call it taking the air off of a guys spoiler or rear wing. I hope that terminology is right.
It's hard to pull off on road circuits because the Windows to do it are so tight but the situations in which this guy is talking about fit into those perfect windows to pull off the move.

Another way to explain it is to imagine making a really twitchy driving move in the FA (F1) car with the DRS open. For guys who drive F1 you know what happens next . Around in circles. Now imagine a guy doing this to you right before a hard turn with your DRS closed. When you open the throttle and realize there is no grip in the rear end it's too late.