PDA

View Full Version : Preparing 24h of Le Mans

Cumulonimbus
11-01-2017, 12:49
I'm preparing to run a 24h of Le Mans with the TS040, and I am looking for some tips/advice. Ill be trying to drive about half of the race, in triple/quadruple stints, with B-spec Bob the other half (or maybe I manage to convince a friend to run it with me). Will run 100% with same class full grid, because in muticlass there are just too few competitors.

I heard run with no damage at all, because Bob will crash your car at some point?

Mechanical damage: I love the idea of managing my oil/water/brake temps to not fail, but I hate the idea of a random failure halfway through which I could not have prevented. Run on or off? If on: is an oil temp of 104 average ok, and a break temp of max 950-1000 degrees C at Mulsanne hairpin? Radiator at 25%, brake duct at 1%.

Flags and penalties will be off most definite.

If anyone has ever done this: what was your tire strategy? Running double stints (13 laps per stint) on medium is not managable, I use about 2/3 of front left tire in one stint with already a quite high tire pressure on that one. Change them every stint or use hard compound?

Well thanks anyway, see your around :D

PS: for PS4 users, ever noticed a problem with running your PS4 gaming for 24h straight?

hkraft300
11-01-2017, 13:23
Bob will get you penalties and DQ. Turn penalties off.

Mechanical damage (for the 1.5-2 hour races I've done) won't get you a random race-ending failure. If your temps are too high you can get a failure, damage your engine from red-lining, gearbox from poor shifting etc.

Oil temps 104c and brakes temps 1000c is ok.

What is your Front left tyre pressure? If it is too high you can be losing grip therefore more wear.

You can run hard tyres and double stint, or soft tyres and single stint. Depends on your lap times. Each tyre change costs ~17 seconds in pits so single stint may be the better option if you're losing too much lap time on hard tyres.

doodleco
11-01-2017, 13:34
I've attempted it a few times with the AI and for one reason or another have failed. I spent a lot of time considering what settings to change to ensure I finish, remove damage etc... but then it hit me, random failures happen in real life and it's part of makes Le Mans so amazing. Purely finishing should feel special and knowing that your race could end at any time really gives you a sense of reality. If it does go wrong, you feel heartbroken after hours of effort, and you will probably be angry at the game. But that's exactly what you see from the real drivers and teams, just look at Toyota last time out!

Personally, I wouldn't use full damage because the ai co-driver suffers from reduced physics meaning there is a chance of the car exploding if it hits a curb at the wrong angle. I would keep mechanical damage on however as it keeps you honest when passing traffic and a mistake can loose you time.

Strategy, I've played around with this and found that the ai tends to pit more often so you can get away with no double stinting tyres if you run a full tank. It may be possible as the temperature drops at night to use either a soft tyre or perhaps go for a double stint with medium. For me, I'm much quicker on softs than mediums and testing has shown I can double on mediums but lose the time I save so no real gain anyway, I just drop the tyre pressure right down at night to keep the heat up. It's all down to your style and how gentle you are though.

Due to the ai pitting regularly (every 20-30 mins) it might be worth some form of balance of performance, drop your fuel load a bit to even up the stints. In LMP1 I've run half fuel and also half fuel rate in the settings. Doing that gives me around 40 mins of fuel and almost matches the ai.

Whatever you do, just give it a go and learn from things that happen. Again, that's what teams do in the real race.

Hope you make it, and most of all enjoy it! Let me know how it goes.

Cumulonimbus
11-01-2017, 13:47
Front left tyre pressure is 1.84, other three are 1.7*. This keeps them all at the same temperature, between 90c on the straights and 105c after the Porsches. Maybe double stinting medium with less fuel, it's a pity that the AI pit more often, I don't see why they do this. I find that on soft tyres I am going to fast, even at 100% AI I can beat them fairly easy since I can do longer stints as well (though this is based on other races on different tracks).
Would be a challenge to see if I can do quadruple stint on hard tyres during the night, since they can do this in real life! :)

Stewy32
12-01-2017, 20:05
I'd suggest a 4-6 hour warm up at somewhere like Silverstone, Spa or Watkins Glen to make sure you are even with the AI on fuel, tyres etc.

Yuriznikov
18-01-2017, 13:24
I might also be running such a race soon! I'm a sucker for rFactor 2 but the game unfortunately doesn't really offer a recent le mans, and the one thats available is a 20 year ago versions that has quite some differences. Aside from that the night-day/weather transition in Project cars is really cool, even if the realism may be a little bit less (or road feel mostly i guess).

I tested the AI and the swap seems to work really well, what i haven't tested yet is weather changing when the AI is driving (so i can sleep at least..) and what kind of tyres they take when they pit themselves.

Cumulonimbus
18-01-2017, 13:39
I did it last weekend, was great fun really had a blast :) I dont know about weather changes I just raced with clear sky, gives the most beautiful sunrise/sunset as well.
There was no problem with the AI driver, altough he uses the default setup and on the TS040 this means that the 7th gear hits rev at 288 while topspeed is 310. Also the AI (other drivers) pit every 8-9 laps and I can do 13, but the slower AI driver lost me few minutes during the night so was fun catching up in the morning.

Yuriznikov
18-01-2017, 14:44
Thats very cool! i'll be doing some more testing and might just decide to run the race sometime soon.

Did you run the full 24h or did you run some sort of time acceleration? (like 12h x2 acceleration).
I'm a little worried about the night hours, i love driving the night but am unsure if i can trust the AI if i decide to go to sleep. (not gonna stay up for 24h haha).

Catching up, falling and getting up is the fun of endurance racing imo. It's tactics and grinding to the very last minute!

Also, i suppose you ran the Career mode event? Since i don't really see any options to run a custom mixed field of some sort in the options. I guess i could just hurry through the events in career too.

cxMilk
18-01-2017, 16:59
I tested the AI and the swap seems to work really well, what i haven't tested yet is weather changing when the AI is driving (so i can sleep at least..) and what kind of tyres they take when they pit themselves.
Unfortunately, the AI driver's rather dense when it comes to weather change. You need to manually tell him what tires to put on when the weather begins to change, otherwise he'll keep going round on the same tires. For instance, if he's on full wets and the weather clears up, he'll keep putting on full wets, instantly burn 'em up and keep pitting every single lap. Frustrating. Essentially, whatever pit strategy you put him on when he takes over is what he sticks with from there on out.

I have managed full 24h races with the AI driving while I was catching z's overnight. Successfully had this happen at Bathurst twice and I believe Nurbs once. Either I got really lucky with the weather or...yea, I got really lucky with the weather. On the other side of that coin, he totally neglected his fuel load a couple times during some Bathurst 24h attempts and he ran out of fuel costing us the race. Have never had that happen at any other track though, and have never been able to successfully replicate it purposefully.

Yuriznikov
18-01-2017, 21:35
Unfortunately, the AI driver's rather dense when it comes to weather change. You need to manually tell him what tires to put on when the weather begins to change, otherwise he'll keep going round on the same tires. For instance, if he's on full wets and the weather clears up, he'll keep putting on full wets, instantly burn 'em up and keep pitting every single lap. Frustrating. Essentially, whatever pit strategy you put him on when he takes over is what he sticks with from there on out.

I have managed full 24h races with the AI driving while I was catching z's overnight. Successfully had this happen at Bathurst twice and I believe Nurbs once. Either I got really lucky with the weather or...yea, I got really lucky with the weather. On the other side of that coin, he totally neglected his fuel load a couple times during some Bathurst 24h attempts and he ran out of fuel costing us the race. Have never had that happen at any other track though, and have never been able to successfully replicate it purposefully.
Haha, you must have been REALLY lucky, i could just use scripted weather of course (or varying conditions but no rain) but thats too bad. I'll have to look into how the real weather function works since im reading varied things about it.
Thanks for the info! have some leads i can work with again ;)

Cumulonimbus
19-01-2017, 09:20
Thats very cool! i'll be doing some more testing and might just decide to run the race sometime soon.

Did you run the full 24h or did you run some sort of time acceleration? (like 12h x2 acceleration).
I'm a little worried about the night hours, i love driving the night but am unsure if i can trust the AI if i decide to go to sleep. (not gonna stay up for 24h haha).

Catching up, falling and getting up is the fun of endurance racing imo. It's tactics and grinding to the very last minute!

Also, i suppose you ran the Career mode event? Since i don't really see any options to run a custom mixed field of some sort in the options. I guess i could just hurry through the events in career too.

Yeah he drove about 6-7 hours during the night, I slept from 0h until 6 am. Also he drove single stints when I just needed a coffee or lunch break. Infact I did do a quick race event, the career event is not unlocked yet for me and now I had 44 all LMP1 on the grid, way more competitors. With multi-class you only have about 9 competitors, maybe one or two back out and then you only have maybe 7... From which maybe 1 - 2 are fast enough. So was more exciting for me this way.