PDA

View Full Version : [ANSWERED] HTC Vive - Motion Blur not working

Menacer
12-01-2017, 07:59
Hey guys... I have HTC Vive and running 2 EVGA 1080 FTWs in SLI.. I don't have a lot of time in Project Cars and I have had a bit of a struggle getting it (ALL) up and running.. so now to the problem..

For the life of me I can't get motion blur working in the Vive... There's actually a Lock to the right of the (Motion Blur) option only when I run Vive config from steam..
Motion Blur is unlocked if I use my monitor/default config.. I have deleted all three configs witch fixed problem # 1 (ALL SETTING) had locks on them..
So I'm on night two of trying to fix this and thought I'ed look here and all over the net for an answer but it seems I'm the only one with this problem?

So.. If this is locked by developers is there a way to unlock it?

jjcuff1
12-01-2017, 12:58
It might be disabled in VR? Did you check the xml config file in pcars? Might be able to set it 1 to turn on?
I have mine off in VR or disabled I wouldn't think I would want blur in VR would look like ghosting and have vomit mode enabled.:-)

Menacer
13-01-2017, 06:47
Hey jjcuff1,

Thanks for getting back to me instead of just passing this one up.. Yes I edited the main config and the openvrconfig.. It would be a great help for me if you could look in your in game config and see if the option is grayed out also with a pad lock icon to the right of it... even more so if its not could you turn it on just to verify if it actually works? But yes.. If motion blur is not done right in the engine or (kinda) true to the real world it could be a mess.. Rightnow everything in the VR mode looks like your playing an awesome looking video game... I'm getting 180 FPS and have some room for Depth of field and Motion Blur...

At this point Im going to do a full reinstall because I just cant keep my pants on! TH

cluck
13-01-2017, 08:32
Motion Blur is disabled for VR mode.

Trust me, you do not want it re-enabled - it was still available to enable, in the earlier days of VR implementation but it was removed as it caused VERY strange effects.

jjcuff1
13-01-2017, 13:08
I agree with cluck. The monitor gaming the motion ADDS to the immersion and speed but with VR you are already in the game and the motion is real time out the sides of the car. You will see the cars drop off as you pass and physically move behind/past you. If they were also blurry for no reason it would look weird.

Menacer
15-01-2017, 09:25
Again thank you all for getting back to me...

I would understand if it causes weird effect to the game engine but motion blur is in fact something that happens in "Real" life... Project cars is about immersion AKA simulation of our reality.. and its always has a full list of graphic settings even some people don't like.. most of these people don't like a setting because they have low powered computers making that setting useless to them.. saying you don't need motion blur for VR is like saying you don't need the colors red and blue for VR eather...

That being said does anyone know the command string I might add the the config file to enable the option in the game? or should I repost this question in a different part of the forum?

Menacer
15-01-2017, 10:51
Ok... Now I'm totally baffled... Take a look at this video from a year ago and try and tell me it looks like a mess... Keep in mind the guys recording this from his HMD so the resolution is low...

http://n4g.com/news/1702539/check-out-project-cars-with-new-motion-blur-effects

And could someone unmark my thread as answered cuz its not..

Mad Al
15-01-2017, 11:22
Ok... Now I'm totally baffled... Take a look at this video from a year ago and try and tell me it looks like a mess... Keep in mind the guys recording this from his HMD so the resolution is low...

http://n4g.com/news/1702539/check-out-project-cars-with-new-motion-blur-effects

And could someone unmark my thread as answered cuz its not..

video from a year ago with comment from 635 days ago.. really?

that is not VR, that's just helmet cam with the helmet removed and DoF turned off...

There are several camera perspectives, one is this head camera. You can adjust in the settings how far the head should look ahead into corners and how much it should tilt etc. You can also fully disable it or tweak it down. And you an also enable a virtual helmet and focus blur, but it distracts too much imho. The best experience would be of course to have something like the Oculus VR or any other good 3D VR device, which are fully supported by PCars :)

cluck
15-01-2017, 15:16
Again thank you all for getting back to me...

I would understand if it causes weird effect to the game engine but motion blur is in fact something that happens in "Real" life... Project cars is about immersion AKA simulation of our reality.. and its always has a full list of graphic settings even some people don't like.. most of these people don't like a setting because they have low powered computers making that setting useless to them.. saying you don't need motion blur for VR is like saying you don't need the colors red and blue for VR eather...

That being said does anyone know the command string I might add the the config file to enable the option in the game? or should I repost this question in a different part of the forum?there is no command string to enable it, it is disabled. Full stop. You can try altering it in the 'graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml' file but it will still remain 'locked' and disabled in game.

Schadows
15-01-2017, 20:37
motion blur is in fact something that happens in "Real" life...No it is not.

Motion blur is a technique used in movies to make quick movement look smoother because they run at 24 images per second and during quick movement things would move way too far between 2 images which would result in teleportation-ish.
It is made to mimick the loss of focus, failing to keep track with your eyes of something that move too quickly, but that's not the real thing (kind of like hydrolic cockpits which lean to mimick G forces, but that not exactly how it works in RL and bring other unwanted stuff with them). But it's not like that "fault" disappear in a video game (especially in VR where you are not watching form a distance).

Unless the world in pcars appear to sutter at high speed for you, there is no need for motion blur since it is not realistic.

Menacer
16-01-2017, 02:34
No it is not.

Motion blur is a technique used in movies to make quick movement look smoother because they run at 24 images per second and during quick movement things would move way too far between 2 images which would result in teleportation-ish.
It is made to mimick the loss of focus, failing to keep track with your eyes of something that move too quickly, but that's not the real thing (kind of like hydrolic cockpits which lean to mimick G forces, but that not exactly how it works in RL and bring other unwanted stuff with them). But it's not like that "fault" disappear in a video game (especially in VR where you are not watching form a distance).

Unless the world in pcars appear to sutter at high speed for you, there is no need for motion blur since it is not realistic.

Oh boy Ok, from your response I can tell you don't know much about motion blur... I use to work in the film industry... doing visual effect.. mixing in 3D computer generated graphics for film and video.. 1st off... The type of camera you use and the settings you set mainly shutter speed effect motion blur.. but I'm not going to get into if its needed in games or not because I already know the answer.. doing a quick google search (Top of the list ) https://www.digitalphotomentor.com/motion-shutter-speed-freeze-blur/ if you realy want to understand it..

something else... I say motion blur is infect in real life and you say "No it is not" you can do a quick test.. and if you see no "Realistic" blur your super human...

1. Shake your head left and right over and over and your eyes with blur.... - Motion Blur -
2. Wave your hand infront of your face... your hands will blur... -Motion Blur-
3. Now try doing step 1 and 2 keeping your eye focused on your hand and you'll see guess what? No Motion Blur on your hand and blur in the background because why?? Your eyes are tracking moving around the same speed as your hand...

Theres also Depth Of Field... witch should be in the VR as an option...

"Unless the world in pcars appear to sutter at high speed for you, there is no need for motion blur since it is not realistic."

Yes... it does.. that's why I'ed like to see the option put back in... but it does not matter if the game engine can't do it right..

Menacer
16-01-2017, 02:52
video from a year ago with comment from 635 days ago.. really?

that is not VR, that's just helmet cam with the helmet removed and DoF turned off...

Thanks for clearing that up... the link said VR... But I guess you have to watch out nowdays as its not vr with a HMD...

cluck
16-01-2017, 07:54
... but it does not matter if the game engine can't do it right..It does matter. Again, you will NOT want motion blur enabled as it was when it was last 'working'. It was, not to put too fine a point on it, unplayable as it gave a 'warp speed' graphical effect, whilst driving at normal speed, with a VERY small window of focus in the centre. I will happily stand corrected if I'm wrong but, I think it's safe to say that it is not going to be fixed, there is not going to be a patch for it from the developers.

Schadows
16-01-2017, 09:03
you can do a quick test.. and if you see no "Realistic" blur your super human...

1. Shake your head left and right over and over and your eyes with blur.... - Motion Blur -
2. Wave your hand infront of your face... your hands will blur... -Motion Blur-
3. Now try doing step 1 and 2 keeping your eye focused on your hand and you'll see guess what? No Motion Blur on your hand and blur in the background because why?? Your eyes are tracking moving around the same speed as your hand... As I said, motion may looks the same (in certain ways) but isn't the same. It's not like objects become change shape or texture IRL, it's your eye that can't follow through / focus quickly enough.
And about that, all the points you described above still apply in VR when you move your head or when objects moves, because that how our eyes works, be it IRL or in front a a screen.

In fact, your point #3 is a great example why artificial motion blur is unnecessary and unrealistic, because like you said, if you want to follow a moving object on the side of the road (let's say a a braking point marker), you should be able to focus and see it clearly. Applying motion blur automatically to moving objects remove that possibility.

Motion blur was kind of what Rift DK1 users experienced all the time because of the high persistence screen, and there was a reason why headset manufacturers tried to remove it.

Either way, development has stopped on pcars 1, so the option won't come back.

jjcuff1
16-01-2017, 15:25
Little off topic. I havent played with Blue or DOF in VR. I agree Blur for Pcars doesnt work and not a great effect for Pcars with the way the software and hardware limitations are.
But DOF works in monitor view very well. Is DOF speed effects still enabled for VR? Anyone play with it? Wonder if it makes a big differance? What are some good settings?

Menacer
17-01-2017, 04:18
Little off topic. I havent played with Blue or DOF in VR. I agree Blur for Pcars doesnt work and not a great effect for Pcars with the way the software and hardware limitations are.
But DOF works in monitor view very well. Is DOF speed effects still enabled for VR? Anyone play with it? Wonder if it makes a big differance? What are some good settings?

jjcuff1, Actually its right ON topic.. But I think you have some terms mixed up...

Blur = Blurs your hole screen no matter what...

DOF = Depth of Field = This puts a blur on objects your not focusing on.. Like your in game helmet cam.. the chine portion of your helmet is blured/ out of focus.. or like in Battlefield when you put your scope up to your eye your gun is blurry. (This adds depth, a 3D effect even though your monitor is flat)

What you call speed effect is..
Motion Blur = Trees and track passing buy your car are blurring in a direction.

People here say it was in but they took it out.. sounds like to me because it was not working right so I'm sure they'll put it back in..

It does matter. Again, you will NOT want motion blur enabled as it was when it was last 'working'. It was, not to put too fine a point on it, unplayable as it gave a 'warp speed' graphical effect, whilst driving at normal speed, with a VERY small window of focus in the centre. I will happily stand corrected if I'm wrong but, I think it's safe to say that it is not going to be fixed, there is not going to be a patch for it from the developers.

Yeah sorry chuck, your 100% wrong... If it was "Working" correctly, than it would function in your HMD just like it does on your computer screen... where it works as good as you can ask for....
So how in the world can you sit here and say.. It was working right in the HMD??? but it was causing weird effects?? = Not working wright...

Look... besides all the tracking magic a HMD does, there's nothing special or different from the game running on your computer screen... OTHER than the game has 2 slightly offset cameras rendering the game witch will use ruffly 2 times the power graphics power.. also final resolution output is a factor but that always is no matter what you use.

Menacer
17-01-2017, 05:39
As I said, motion may looks the same (in certain ways) but isn't the same. It's not like objects become change shape or texture IRL, it's your eye that can't follow through / focus quickly enough.
And about that, all the points you described above still apply in VR when you move your head or when objects moves, because that how our eyes works, be it IRL or in front a a screen.

In fact, your point #3 is a great example why artificial motion blur is unnecessary and unrealistic, because like you said, if you want to follow a moving object on the side of the road (let's say a a braking point marker), you should be able to focus and see it clearly. Applying motion blur automatically to moving objects remove that possibility.

Motion blur was kind of what Rift DK1 users experienced all the time because of the high persistence screen, and there was a reason why headset manufacturers tried to remove it.

Either way, development has stopped on pcars 1, so the option won't come back.

Yes your right without eye tracking you can't do what your talking about.... so let me make this more cleer... all I was asking for is the motion blur that's already in the game... it's there.... you can use your controller to move your drivers head... that's the exact same thing your doing in VR.

But hey.., my post was a request if anyone knew how to enable it in the game as the update locked me out.. not if it needs to be in our not... or people telling me I don't want that... and I don't think it needs to be in... as I said before it's already in the game and it looks fantastic..

cluck
17-01-2017, 08:10
People here say it was in but they took it out.. sounds like to me because it was not working right so I'm sure they'll put it back in..There aren't going to be any more patches for Project CARS, except for game-breaking bugs. This is not a game-breaker, ergo, it won't get patched.

Yeah sorry Cluck, your 100% wrong... If it was "Working" correctly, than it would function in your HMD just like it does on your computer screen... where it works as good as you can ask for....
So how in the world can you sit here and say.. It was working right in the HMD??? but it was causing weird effects?? = Not working wright... I didn't say it was "working right", I said it was 'working', within apostrophes, to signify that it wasn't actually working.

Consider this my last reply on the topic. I really cannot add anything more to this thread as there is nothing more to add. I'm going to repeat what I've posted already, though, in the vain hope that it might sink in :-

Motion blur does NOT work in the VR headsets. You cannot enable it in-game or via the .xml files. When it was last available to use, it caused severe graphical weirdness, which made driving impossible, possibly one of the reasons why it was disabled (to prevent thousands of reports of "I just got a VR headset and it looks really weird", vs a few people requesting that motion blur is put back in). It won't be patched in to work.

Disclaimer : I don't work for SMS and I do not speak for them

jjcuff1
17-01-2017, 15:41
Sorry I did not mean DOF I mean FOV changes. Not sure of they still work or add a better immersion effect in VR or just a headache?

Menacer
19-01-2017, 13:26
There aren't going to be any more patches for Project CARS, except for game-breaking bugs. This is not a game-breaker, ergo, it won't get patched.

I didn't say it was "working right", I said it was 'working', within apostrophes, to signify that it wasn't actually working.

I apologize.. I've never seen anyone use apostrophes like that.. I'm dyslexic and saw thim as quotes.....

Motion blur does NOT work in the VR headsets. You cannot enable it in-game or via the .xml files. When it was last available to use, it caused severe graphical weirdness, which made driving impossible, possibly one of the reasons why it was disabled (to prevent thousands of reports of "I just got a VR headset and it looks really weird", vs a few people requesting that motion blur is put back in). It won't be patched in to work.

Thank you Cluck.... I heard you the 1st time...

Disclaimer : I don't work for SMS and I do not speak for them

That being said....... If ANYONE knows how to unlock "ANY" locked features in the game via the .xml, code, or patching files crap even a way to load in the last version that had it enabled please let me know..