PDA

View Full Version : Hi. I need some advice re which console to buy !

Leonardo Da Vinci
24-01-2017, 18:57
First of all Hi to everyone :) and apologies if this is a wee bit long. Due to moving out to the countryside years ago an now with a dl speed of 4MEG :mad: replacing car etc, I'm STILL using my XB360 with MS FFB wheel doing YET ANOTHER CAREER SEASON :hopelessness: and TT, BUT I've decided to take the plunge and will be getting a lonnnnng overdue upgrade, and thanks to Microsoft I have to replace BOTH console and wheel so will be a big deal for me cost wise. I love the look an direction Project Cars is going :excitement: but can't decide to go for XB1s or be unfaithful an head over to PS4, Only interested in racing sims with wheel and pretty much decided on the Thrustmaster TX 458 FFB though that depends on which console I get ! please bear in mind atm I can only play Career etc OFFLINE :mad: THANK YOU if you've stuck it out this far :applause: and I look forward to becoming a part of this community (albeit an offline part)

Sankyo
24-01-2017, 19:24
I hear that the PS4 is slightly more powerful. Since you're in the market for a new wheel as well, check what options you have for each console w.r.t. licensed wheels.

Konan
24-01-2017, 19:29
And upcoming race titles since for example GT is Ps4 only...

Leonardo Da Vinci
24-01-2017, 22:41
I hear that the PS4 is slightly more powerful. Since you're in the market for a new wheel as well, check what options you have for each console w.r.t. licensed wheels.
Thanks for the reply, I've done a lot of research on consoles, wheels and games and I'm more confused than ever lol, With the wheel it's between Thrustmaster TX 458 for the XB1 or Logitech for both,G29 or G920

And upcoming race titles since for example GT is Ps4 only...
Thanks Konan, Looks like I'll have my hands full learning tracks, cars, set ups etc on PC an AC though to be going on with in prep for if BT ever sort BBand speed out here !

Grijo
24-01-2017, 23:50
For me, the choice depends on "one thing": exclusive games. When you play games that are commom between the plataforms (PS4 x Xone), the PS4 have a better overall performance, except for online gaming. Microsoft Live is more stable. PSN is a joke in my opinion.

But when you talk about exclusive titles, every plataform has yours, excellent ones and bad too. What made me buy the PS4? The Last of Us, God of War, the hope of a great Gran Turismo game (I always liked more the Forza series and I think my hope is going down the drain from what I saw until now) and the best overall performance (graphics, sounds..)

Pisshead30
25-01-2017, 01:20
I have both consoles and would recommend buying a ps4 pro if you have the .

Between myself and my kid we have ps1 2 3 4 4pro,two xbox360s and an xbox1.
Ive always been a ps person but bought the 360 and one cos of forza games, ive found the ps more user friendly more powerful and graphically superior for cross platform games

Leonardo Da Vinci
25-01-2017, 02:35
For me, the choice depends on "one thing": exclusive games. When you play games that are commom between the plataforms (PS4 x Xone), the PS4 have a better overall performance, except for online gaming. Microsoft Live is more stable. PSN is a joke in my opinion.

But when you talk about exclusive titles, every plataform has yours, excellent ones and bad too. What made me buy the PS4? The Last of Us, God of War, the hope of a great Gran Turismo game (I always liked more the Forza series and I think my hope is going down the drain from what I saw until now) and the best overall performance (graphics, sounds..)
Thanks for the input Grijo ;) and you're right about XB Live V PSN, though until circumstances change I have to be content with whopping the psychotic AI lol an slowly but surely destroying my poor MS wheel

Leonardo Da Vinci
25-01-2017, 02:57
I have both consoles and would recommend buying a ps4 pro if you have the .

Between myself and my kid we have ps1 2 3 4 4pro,two xbox360s and an xbox1.
Ive always been a ps person but bought the 360 and one cos of forza games, ive found the ps more user friendly more powerful and graphically superior for cross platform games
Thanks to you too Mr PHead lol, I hear rumours the 360s days are numbered RIP 360:angel: and IF I had the I would've considered waiting on the release of Scorpio but a 20yo an a 18yo, MOTs etc are enough to keep me in the budget division of gaming lol, I'd love to think one day I'll be back online racing esp on PCars but may have to wait for PCars2 ! Enjoy your family gaming sessions :D

Pisshead30
25-01-2017, 04:35
Thanks to you too Mr PHead lol, I hear rumours the 360s days are numbered RIP 360:angel: and IF I had the I would've considered waiting on the release of Scorpio but a 20yo an a 18yo, MOTs etc are enough to keep me in the budget division of gaming lol, I'd love to think one day I'll be back online racing esp on PCars but may have to wait for PCars2 ! Enjoy your family gaming sessions :D

One question I would normally ask is what do your friends use as I find no point buying an xbox if your friends are all on ps4 and vice versa but as you are offline at present it doesn't really matter.
I understand your reference to budget gaming its thanks to very.co.uk why we have ps4,ps4 pro and forza6 xbox1 lol
Buy now pay later, spend over 200 get a year interest free lol

hkraft300
25-01-2017, 06:17
PS4 + G29 would be the budget go. If you can spend a little extra do the T300.
You should be able to pick up 2nd hand/refurbished ones for a fair-ish price. Performance is better than xb1, and as for online: I'm mostly online only and it's fine. PSN goes down a few times a year for a few hours. Stability/lag is more dependant on others' connection though. In UK it shouldn't be a problem. I regularly race wheel to wheel with a few UK boys without dramas.

m355y
25-01-2017, 07:02
Forza 6 and Horizon 2 and 3 alone would make me veer towards XB1 (I have both, no idea how my wife allowed that), because for all people rightly point out Forza is not a sim, for me it is the most polished, complete racing game of its type and really good fun. Forza Horizon 3 is bloody brilliant and for anyone who likes a really good racing game, worth its weight in gold.

XB1 is easier to use I think, I've found it more reliable (less crashes, less little glitchy moments), XBL is more stable than PSN and I find download times for games much quicker somehow. There is a difference in some multiplatform games in the PS4's favour, but in the real world it's marginal.

Prefer the PS4 for watching Sky Go, TV apps etc for the reason that it actually has a 'turn off after two hours' type feature that works. The XB1 will keep playing to itself all night which is annoying. On the other hand, I find Xbox Store expensive and I think you get better deals on older games on PSN.

hkraft300
25-01-2017, 08:12
XB1 controller is miles ahead of DS4 too. But if you're getting a wheel for racing it doesn't matter. Honestly couldn't pick between the 2 consoles for graphics (I played FH3 for a few "races" bush bashing in the Nomad). Only reason I'd take xb1 is for Gears of war. PS4's "tv" apps are good and the gamepad batteries last long enough.

Leonardo Da Vinci
25-01-2017, 15:54
One question I would normally ask is what do your friends use as I find no point buying an xbox if your friends are all on ps4 and vice versa but as you are offline at present it doesn't really matter.
I understand your reference to budget gaming its thanks to very.co.uk why we have ps4,ps4 pro and forza6 xbox1 lol
Buy now pay later, spend over 200 get a year interest free lol

"Friends" :confused: lol, Not really an issue now as I've been away for years. Thanks for the heads up re very.co though, Cheers m8

Leonardo Da Vinci
25-01-2017, 16:16
PS4 + G29 would be the budget go. If you can spend a little extra do the T300.
You should be able to pick up 2nd hand/refurbished ones for a fair-ish price. Performance is better than xb1, and as for online: I'm mostly online only and it's fine. PSN goes down a few times a year for a few hours. Stability/lag is more dependant on others' connection though. In UK it shouldn't be a problem. I regularly race wheel to wheel with a few UK boys without dramas.
Thanks, I was almost sold on the G29 looks great UNTIL I saw/heard the horrible clatter it made if in the gravel etc as well as the low bit pedal res bit, rather wait a bit longer an save for Thrusty TX with its belt drive an changeable bits an bobs, IF ONLY they did a Thrustmaster TX 458 for the PS4 I'd be orderings now lol, Cheeres Bud

Leonardo Da Vinci
25-01-2017, 16:34
Forza 6 and Horizon 2 and 3 alone would make me veer towards XB1 (I have both, no idea how my wife allowed that), because for all people rightly point out Forza is not a sim, for me it is the most polished, complete racing game of its type and really good fun. Forza Horizon 3 is bloody brilliant and for anyone who likes a really good racing game, worth its weight in gold.

XB1 is easier to use I think, I've found it more reliable (less crashes, less little glitchy moments), XBL is more stable than PSN and I find download times for games much quicker somehow. There is a difference in some multiplatform games in the PS4's favour, but in the real world it's marginal.

Prefer the PS4 for watching Sky Go, TV apps etc for the reason that it actually has a 'turn off after two hours' type feature that works. The XB1 will keep playing to itself all night which is annoying. On the other hand, I find Xbox Store expensive and I think you get better deals on older games on PSN.
Cheers m355y, Forza 4 was my only and main game on 360 an still feeding my driving addiction on it til I replace, I'll prob end this post soon and make THE DECISION :indecisiveness: Cheers for the input m8y

Leonardo Da Vinci
25-01-2017, 16:39
XB1 controller is miles ahead of DS4 too. But if you're getting a wheel for racing it doesn't matter. Honestly couldn't pick between the 2 consoles for graphics (I played FH3 for a few "races" bush bashing in the Nomad). Only reason I'd take xb1 is for Gears of war. PS4's "tv" apps are good and the gamepad batteries last long enough.

Tell me about it, I seriously NEVER thought I'd be so confused as to making the decision lol, BUT I MUST MAN UP an decide so will decide tonight an let y'all know (if you're indeed bothered lol) tomorrow, Thanks again Guys

Jescott71
25-01-2017, 16:56

I agree 100% with pretty much all of that. The only thing I would say is I personally find the PS4 slightly easier to navigate and find where things are, I don't really like the Windows 10-esk layout of the Xbox One, but that might be because I'm used to Mac's and have had a PS4 far longer than the Xbox.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that Xbox One has some form of backward compatibility, where as PS4 doesn't. I know not all games are backwards compatible but more get added regularly, so sometime soon you might see other great older Xbox 360 games like Race Pro or Dirt 3 being added to it that you can pick up dirt cheap second hand on Amazon (l've seen Race Pro on there for 0.88).

And Forza Horizon 3 is one of the most fun pick-up-and-play games I've ever seen, it's not realistic in the slightest, but never really pretends to be, and the amount of content in it is crazy.

m355y
25-01-2017, 19:08
Race Pro being added to XB1 backwards compatability would make my life complete. Really would.

I got my XB1 long after my PS4, because I couldn't stand the thought of not having the Forza games in my life. I'm surprised how much I like it. I've always leaned towards Sony.

Konan
25-01-2017, 19:15
Having played all Playstation systems from the beginning i once bought an Xbox...had it for about a month but couldn't get used to the controller...:cool:
So for me it's Sony all the way...:D

hkraft300
25-01-2017, 19:43
Having played all Playstation systems from the beginning i once bought an Xbox...had it for about a month but couldn't get used to the controller...:cool:
So for me it's Sony all the way...:D

XB1 controller is miles ahead of DS4 I think.
Battery doesn't last half as log though.

BigDad
26-01-2017, 11:53
I tend to disagree , since moving from PS4 to PC first thing i did was get a xBone controller while trying to adjust to mouse and keyboard controls (a loosing battle for me lol) and used it for a couple of months and found the analog sticks of the xBone pad to have quite large dead spots and would never sit central and have since purchased a wireless adapter and use input mapper to get my trusty DS4 on PC and now that has so much more accuracy and controlled .
Just my opinion .
Any way about what console to get , try to hold out and check out Project Scorpio or do what i did and get a PC .
Although it cost me a bit more than the PS4 Pro i was looking at but now i've got it the money i spent is no longer even a thought . PC gaming simply kicks console gamings arse and i've had every console since way back to atari ,NES , Sega mega drive & Staturn , N64 , game cube , PS & 2 & 3 & 4 , Xbox & 360 and now quite simply cant for the life of me figure out why i didnt get a PC a long time ago .

Jescott71
26-01-2017, 12:16
I tend to prefer the shape of the Xbox controller purely because I find the PS4 controller a little too small. But there is one major thing I hate about the Xbox controllers, you have to buy the Xbox rechargeable batteries separately. That should be included free with the controller, you're already paying 40-50 for it, for me that's unacceptable. The PS4 has a built in battery so there's no reason why the Xbox one can't either, I buy normal AA rechargeable batteries for mine as a result.

BigDad
26-01-2017, 12:27
I just use cheap old Aldi AA's , they seem to last and i get 20 for $6.

Leonardo Da Vinci
27-01-2017, 10:32
Any way about what console to get , try to hold out and check out Project Scorpio or do what i did and get a PC .
Although it cost me a bit more than the PS4 Pro i was looking at but now i've got it the money i spent is no longer even a thought . PC gaming simply kicks console gamings arse and i've had every console since way back to atari ,NES , Sega mega drive & Staturn , N64 , game cube , PS & 2 & 3 & 4 , Xbox & 360 and now quite simply cant for the life of me figure out why i didnt get a PC a long time ago .
Thanks for the input BigDad. I totally agree re PC gaming choice and would've gone down that route if it wasn't for the fact I have practically zero bband speed :mad: so even your impressive set up would be as useful as a chocolate teapot here ! BUT The decision HAS been made and I'll be picking the wheel up later today (got a fantastic deal on that :applause:) and the console and PCars today or tomorrow, for a weekend of self-indulgent bliss :emmersed: (or total frustration at trying to set it all up lol) Cheers m8y

Konan
27-01-2017, 10:37
Ehm...you forgot to mention which system you chose mate...:cool:

hkraft300
27-01-2017, 11:10

Dammit. This is too much. First Bell drops bombs regarding pc2 in the other thread.
Now this :hopelessness:
I can't take it any more!

Relax. Don't get overwhelmed by the setting up. Just remember to reduce steering gain to ~1 to avoid overloading the wheel and enjoy. If it feels like a bus (Merc DTM) reduce steering ratio.
And if you got a Thrustmaster, update the firmware and remember to set the cooling fan to always run. Or it'll go limp on you in minutes.
All other info is in the relevant threads :)
Good luck. You're staring down a rabbit hole. Don't get sucked in too deep ;)

Rambo_Commando
27-01-2017, 17:15
OP, my thoughts to your question, I own both consoles so here's my take:

Online playing: Xbox live is much more stable than PSN.
Exclusives: Xbox
Multi platform games: PS4 hands down.
Overall console performance: PS4 is the more powerful machine.
Gamepad: Personal choice really. I like both but the Xbox gamepad is a bit more comfortable.
Aesthetics: PS4 is the better looking machine if that matters to you.
UI: I think PS4 is much easier to navigate.

Overall, I enjoy my PS4 much more than my Xbox but it's down to personal preference.

Leonardo Da Vinci
27-01-2017, 22:43
Not so much forgot as didn't want to say until I'd got them then come on here an beg you guys for help to make sense of it all before the box of wine I've bought to celebrate is drained lol, I feel obligated to drop a subtle hint to hkraft300 as he seems to be teetering on the edge in anticipation :concern: So

Dammit. This is too much. First Bell drops bombs regarding pc2 in the other thread.
Now this :hopelessness:
I can't take it any more!
Relax. Don't get overwhelmed by the setting up. Just remember to reduce steering gain to ~1 to avoid overloading the wheel and enjoy. If it feels like a bus (Merc DTM) reduce steering ratio.
And if you got a Thrustmaster, update the firmware and remember to set the cooling fan to always run. Or it'll go limp on you in minutes.
All other info is in the relevant threads :)
Good luck. You're staring down a rabbit hole. Don't get sucked in too deep ;)
hkraft300 out of concern for your state of mind (I picture you sitting in a corner rocking backwards and forwards) I'm going to give a subtle hint as I've sorted to pick them up tomorrow, Drumroll please........ the first letter of the console is P and ends in laystation 4 slim (glacier white phwoar :couple_inlove:) and the wheel begins with L and ends in ogitech G29 ! Now that should keep you busy long enough the stop the rocking til I reveal ALL tomorrow :p I'm so excited I'm already breathing into a paper bag :biggrin-new:

Leonardo Da Vinci
27-01-2017, 22:49
OP, my thoughts to your question, I own both consoles so here's my take:

Online playing: Xbox live is much more stable than PSN.
Exclusives: Xbox
Multi platform games: PS4 hands down.
Overall console performance: PS4 is the more powerful machine.
Gamepad: Personal choice really. I like both but the Xbox gamepad is a bit more comfortable.
Aesthetics: PS4 is the better looking machine if that matters to you.
UI: I think PS4 is much easier to navigate.

Overall, I enjoy my PS4 much more than my Xbox but it's down to personal preference.
Thank you Mr Commando :smile-new: whilst I'd already decided your input has made me feel I've made the right choice :tranquillity: Cheers m8y

hkraft300
28-01-2017, 02:10
hkraft300 out of concern for your state of mind (I picture you sitting in a corner rocking backwards and forwards) I'm going to give a subtle hint as I've sorted to pick them up tomorrow, Drumroll please........ the first letter of the console is P and ends in laystation 4 slim (glacier white phwoar :couple_inlove:) and the wheel begins with L and ends in ogitech G29 ! Now that should keep you busy long enough the stop the rocking til I reveal ALL tomorrow :p I'm so excited I'm already breathing into a paper bag :biggrin-new:

Top stuff!
Don't need to update the wheel. Start PS4, plug in the wheel, press PS button on the wheel, press x, then use the wheel to start pcars. Calibrate wheel as per on screen instructions, calibrate ffb (set steering gain to 1.0).
Enjoy the wine and the racing.
I'd recommend getting used to the default ffb before you tinker with it. Otherwise you end up chasing your tail.
G29 is no Bodnar or Fanatec, so there's only so much you'd get out of it. That's not to say it's lacking in fun factor!

Leonardo Da Vinci
28-01-2017, 23:49
Top stuff!
Don't need to update the wheel. Start PS4, plug in the wheel, press PS button on the wheel, press x, then use the wheel to start pcars. Calibrate wheel as per on screen instructions, calibrate ffb (set steering gain to 1.0).
Enjoy the wine and the racing.
I'd recommend getting used to the default ffb before you tinker with it. Otherwise you end up chasing your tail.
G29 is no Bodnar or Fanatec, so there's only so much you'd get out of it. That's not to say it's lacking in fun factor!

My turn to rock backwards an forwards in the corner :hopelessness: Tomorrow is another day though ! Cheers bud an any posts or links re wheel settings for a G29 for PCars would be appreciated :o

hkraft300
29-01-2017, 03:52
I find it unnecessary. Just steering gain at 1.0 (near the bottom of the calibrate ffb page), and tweak master scale per car to suit.
Mercedes 190 MS ~30 and an LMP1 @ Spa would be down at 22. Default is 26.
Also adjust steering ratio so you're not driving a bus (Merc CLK DTM). I run ~13.5:1. And caster angle has a big effect on wheel centering/feel/"tightness".
Otherwise, there's oscarolim ffb page (search in Google) with wheel and per car ffb settings, and the G29 sticky thread in the PS4 section for some perusing at your leisure.

Leonardo Da Vinci
29-01-2017, 19:59
Thanks hkraft, got ps4 set up last night, decided to leave wheel til today, which I've just been using on Driveclub as waiting for PCars to be delivered, gonna post a thanks/update later and I've been swatting away re G29 settings etc on here to make the leap into PCars as smooth as poss !!!!! haha