PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Project Cars - you just saved my car

Invincible
27-01-2017, 12:53
I just experienced a very unpleasant situation in my car. Because I was suddenly out of nowhere struck by heavy brake oversteer as my rear decided it wants to overtake the front on an Autobahn exit.
Thanks to project cars I counter-steered just right to transform the almost certain spin with a likely crash into the forest into a drift trough half the exit.

I don't think I'm a bad driver, but I certainly have not had enough situations like this to train my reflexes irl. But Project Cars taught me how to deal with any sort of oversteer and I'm positive I wouldn't not have made it without it. At least not as intuitively and cold blooded like I just did. So, thank you Project Cars and SMS for teaching me how to drive :p

Edit: I just went back to the place to see what caused it, and I'm left without a clue. My tires are okay and have the correct pressure and there was nothing on the (fully dry) road. On top of that, the car in front of me was going at the same speed and it wasn't even unsettled. Also, I wasn't too fast per se, as the speed limit for this exit is 80 kph. Which hasn't been a problem at all until today.

Konan
27-01-2017, 12:58
Glad you're ok mate...

Sankyo
27-01-2017, 13:04
Video or it didn't happen :p

Glad you and your car survived this! :)

Invincible
27-01-2017, 13:09
Video or it didn't happen :p

Glad you and your car survived this! :)

I would have survived it, as I was going "only" 70 kph, but my car would have been wrecked.

Ps: sorry, I couldn't save the replay

Sankyo
27-01-2017, 13:20
I would have survived it, as I was going "only" 70 kph, but my car would have been wrecked.

Ps: sorry, I couldn't save the replay

I think that most people underestimate how fast 70 kph is. It feels slow in a decent car, especially when just exiting the Autobahn :), but when your car meets an immovable object like a tree with that speed you'll agree that it's not at all guaranteed that you'll survive such a crash. With proper air bags you probably will, but you will probably still break a rib or two from your seat belt not giving in.

Sankyo
27-01-2017, 13:26
Just to illustrate (old car without air bags):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoJqCsHAak8

Invincible
27-01-2017, 13:30
I think that most people underestimate how fast 70 kph is. It feels slow in a decent car, especially when just exiting the Autobahn :), but when your car meets an immovable object like a tree with that speed you'll agree that it's not at all guaranteed that you'll survive such a crash. With proper air bags you probably will, but you will probably still break a rib or two from your seat belt not giving in.

70 feels slow in general, but when your car starts to spin, it feels utterly fast.

DreamsKnight
27-01-2017, 15:48
what about the underwear? :D

racesafegrandad
27-01-2017, 16:09
The same thing happened to me in my van a few years ago. I was plying on Grid Autosport at the time and I saved it as my brain went into ‘Grid Autosport’ mode. :)

cluck
27-01-2017, 16:20
Just to illustrate (old car without air bags):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoJqCsHAak8To quote that old saying, it's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stopping that does.

@Invincible - you probably lost a little cornering grip as a direct result of being in the dirty air of the car in front. F1 drivers complain about it all the time :D. (I might not be being entirely serious with this suggestion)

Glad you came out of it unscathed, that's the important thing, as well as valuable experience for the next time :)

CDN_Merlin
27-01-2017, 16:24
You also could of hit a patch of black ice but I doubt it. I swear I'm a better driver due to racing games on my PC since the 90's.

GP2,3,4
GPL
And all the SimBin games and Project Cars.

Konan
27-01-2017, 16:26
as well as valuable experience for the next time :)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Knowing you,you mean Pcars2 with that right? :cool:

Haiden
27-01-2017, 17:38
Edit: I just went back to the place to see what caused it, and I'm left without a clue. My tires are okay and have the correct pressure and there was nothing on the (fully dry) road. On top of that, the car in front of me was going at the same speed and it wasn't even unsettled. Also, I wasn't too fast per se, as the speed limit for this exit is 80 kph. Which hasn't been a problem at all until today.

Wind?

cluck
27-01-2017, 18:25
Wind?

Yeah, sorry about the smell, I had a curry last night :o

Konan
27-01-2017, 18:30

BullWinkle
27-01-2017, 20:38
Yeah, sorry about the smell, I had a curry last night :o

Maybe if we all stood over........................................................................................................................................................................here, cluck might get his coat.

LukeC
27-01-2017, 22:43
Video or it didn't happen

So that's why people film themselves having sex. I never understood it until now. Thanks for the revelation Remco.😀

kevin kirk
28-01-2017, 01:47
Did you get that feeling like your stomach drops or something? Wierdest feeling I have ever felt.

hkraft300
28-01-2017, 02:14
Pcars has saved my car multiple times. Realised quite recently I've become better at threshold braking and controlling slides in the rain, in my non-ABS (surprisingly) car.

Did you get that feeling like your stomach drops or something? Wierdest feeling I have ever felt.

Some say that's the sudden rush of adrenaline flooding your system and your heart ramping up blood pressure: instant preparation of a danger situation. Fight/flight response for those who are prepared, freeze and panic for those who've never experienced it.
I f*ing love it. The heart pounding, everything in slow-motion... No illicit recreational substance will get you a better feeling/experience!

Dresden
28-01-2017, 06:18
Sounds like Invincible choose the right avatar name! Glad to hear that everything is alright.

I also had a similar encounter about 6 months ago. I was breaking heavily in the wet while wanting to do a sharp turn. Immediately my 'Pcars training' kicked in and I managed to perform it exactly as I would have done at Silverstone. I also had the same calm moment while performing it.

I thank SMS for the driver lesson training!

DreamsKnight
30-01-2017, 01:05
A girl decide to cross the street without looking... Heavy brake move left, she was running, move.right, she stopped, move left again, she put back the leg and nothing happen.

I think everything happen in two second and 10mt but was so slow down.. for sure "virtual" track experience helped me. And ABS.

hkraft300
30-01-2017, 09:37
Pcars mode is strong!

RomKnight
30-01-2017, 10:36
A girl decide to cross the street without looking... Heavy brake move left, she was running, move.right, she stopped, move left again, she put back the leg and nothing happen.

I think everything happen in two second and 10mt but was so slow down.. for sure "virtual" track experience helped me. And ABS.

With ABS i'd do it to. Get out of arcade mode and try it then :p

(j/k mate) :D

DreamsKnight
31-01-2017, 15:39
With ABS i'd do it to. Get out of arcade mode and try it then :p

(j/k mate) :D

lol

bmanic
31-01-2017, 16:07
Simcade.. you'd have no problems if your real life was more sim like.

:p

To be serious though, pCars saved my ass too about half a year ago. It was raining heavily and I was driving an old car that doesn't have any ABS. The guy in front of me suddenly hits the brakes like crazy (drunken pedestrian stumbling on to the road) and I have to floor it too.. of course mine locks up but due to driving pCars (and other sims) mostly without ABS for older vehicles I reacted to the lockup instantly and started to modulate the brake. My car stopped about 2cm from the other cars rear bumper. :D

We were going about 50km/h.

Cheers!
bManic