01-02-2017, 22:33
GTR 3 coming in 2018 for Windows PC, Microsoft Xbox One and Sony PlayStation 4:

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/gtr-3-by-simbin-coming-in-2018.131230/

Pisshead30
02-02-2017, 07:37
great times for racing game fans

Mascot
02-02-2017, 08:54
Ooh. Very interesting. GTR2 was bloody brilliant.

More competition will also mean more bar-raising, which is fantastic for the genre as a whole.

During the visit to the Manchester HQ, I was lucky enough to join the very small handful of people who have viewed the very very early "proof of concept" video featuring a car and track from RaceRoom in the Unreal 4 engine, and I'm seriously impressed. Despite the short video only having been created to see how the engine works in a racing environment, and having been created as a low profile R&D exercise, the footage I witnessed was simply mind blowing. With RaceRoom sounds, PCars graphics and Simbin attention to detail, GTR3 could well turn out to be the racing game we've all been waiting for.

I wish they'd release this 'proof of concept' video if it is THAT good. Great way to generate buzz.

Schadows
02-02-2017, 13:37
Ooh. Very interesting. GTR2 was bloody brilliant.Wasn't GTR2 made by SMS (sub-contracted as Blimey! Games ?).
I suppose GTR3 will be closer to a retail version of Raceroom.

wolfscastle
02-02-2017, 15:00
Hey SMS, already worried? ;)

For me, best news for years. Sounds like back to the roots of real PC-Simulations.

This section of the developers, is for me decisive:

"The product at the end of the day needs to appeal to both sides, hardcore racer
as awell and the casual gamer."

Focus on e-sports, real league support and best multiplayer expirence, is the right way.

I hope there is a healthy competition for you. Then also pCars2 can only go better and
more challenging towards real demanding PC-SIM-HARDCORE USER and less consoles casual
gamers. I hope so! :D

cluck
02-02-2017, 15:07
@wolfscastle - You just don't give up do you? :rolleyes:

"and less consoles casual gamers" Really? There is no place on this forum - or anywhere, quite frankly - for this type of snobbish nonsense.

EDIT : Just to add, I wish the devs well. The more choice there is, the better. I played GTR quite a bit when it came out though, I'll confess, I never really got to grips with it, nor the sequel.

Interesting choice to use the Unreal Engine for a driving sim, so it will be interesting to see how that pans out :).

Konan
02-02-2017, 15:08
Casual console gamer here...not happy at all with that remark...:(

Edit:oops...Cluck'ed

wolfscastle
02-02-2017, 15:12
Oh guys, calm blood. I do not mean it bad, everyone is what he is. He should also stand by himself!

(crap, if I could properly speak and write perfect english ... I would be a weapon! Sorry! ) :)

Mahjik
02-02-2017, 15:20
Hey SMS, already worried? ;)

You do realize that the development team behind GTR2 is Blimey! which was the core development team of GTR... Blimey! = SMS

In other words, the actual team who developed GTR2 are not the ones developing GTR3.

Zpectre87
02-02-2017, 15:36
Oh boy, this is a Guns 'n' Roses/Velvet Revolver situation all over again isn't it?

The most recent case I remember is none other than the fallout between Konami and Hideo Kojima, and fans have sided with Kojima against what they saw as "corporate influence" over the games.

Interestingly, this is not happening here, with people having great hopes for this new GTR3, mostly because of the divisive reception to SMS' work post-GTR2.

I think the current situation between the new SimBin UK and SMS is more akin to what happened in the Descent series. Parallax Software, who developed the original entries in the series, does not exist anymore, but the publishing rights still belong to Interplay. A group of developers who had nothing to do with the original series acquired the rights to the name Descent from Interplay and continued development on a prequel called Descent: Underground. Meanwhile, two leading members of the old Parallax Software also planned a release in the spirit of the classic Descent series, but they can't use the name, because they don't have Interplay's blessing, so they named their project "Overload". Both games have been Kickstarted with success, and both will be released soon. However, I don't need to explain to anyone that the latter is the one truer to the concept of Descent.

The thread at RD is a show of horrors, with most anticipating the title because of the name and the name of the studio that's developing it, some taking jabs at SMS (one comment was particularly funny, the guy scolded SMS for trying to do too many things at once, as if the gMotor2 engine hadn't been used to simulate everything with four wheels during the rFactor days), but the general atmosphere is too optimistic with regards to something for which SimBin UK has only released a very early teaser featuring recycled content from R3E, not to mention SimBin themselves (after the Blimey! breakup) have released further titles (RACE series) which weren't as well received as GTR2 (even though I'm of the opinion that the FFB in RACE is superior to that in GTR2). People are jumping on this bandwagon way too early based on brand only.

What I think will happen with this game:

1) They will get the Blancpain Endurance Series license because they need a licensed series and the 24h of Spa to establish a link between GTR3 and the old games. It will have most if not all licensed cars, because it's easier to get Ferrari and Porsche license these days. Sadly the GT3 cars are nowhere near as impressive as the old GT1 cars or even GT2... Sim racing is growing at a time when real racing is at a low point.

2) This game will follow the full ruleset of the series. Expect flags, safety cars and so on. The representative of SimBin UK has stated that his model for doing things is that of Codemasters, and, guess what, as of 2016 Codies provides a pretty accurate experience in the F1 series with regards to rules.

3) This game, however, will probably not be the best of the next gen crop when it comes to physics. They're starting with an engine (UE4) that, to my knowledge, is not often used in racing games, let alone accurate simulations of racing. With the many debates that exist in the sim community concerning accuracy of the current models we have right now, I seriously don't expect that UE4 will be the big savior when even bespoke engines can't settle the discussion once and for all. EA uses the Frostbite engine (from Battlefield) in Need for Speed, but NFS doesn't have any commitment to realism. It is, however, a chance for whatever fresh blood SimBin UK can hire to prove themselves as competent developers, and the engine itself is capable, having been used in numerous other titles.

4) This game will have top-notch graphics. Whether they're the best I can't say for now, of course.

5) It could have a degree of modding possibility, but I would bet against it being extensively moddable. None of the SimBin games after GTR2 were moddable out of the box, requiring decryption of files and workarounds to add new content to the game. RACE 07 was also limited because each car had its own serial number, so there was a limit on addon cars.

Will it be as good as GTR2? Relatively, I'd say not... GTR2 was really the benchmark when it came out. GTR3 would need to be the absolute best among Assetto Corsa (with a possible v2.0 out by 2018), Project Cars 2, rFactor 2, iRacing, and even Sector3's own R3E, for that to happen. But it could be very good. It's just that it won't fulfill the expectations of people who are still living in the past when it comes to understanding the gaming industry.

If the past is any measure... Velvet Revolver sounded a lot better than Chinese Democracy-era GNR. :D

wolfscastle
02-02-2017, 16:20
My personal cake/Sim recipe: Take the best of everything

The base = pCars Graphics and all Features....and all from this Cake

Sankyo
02-02-2017, 17:20
'Best simulations Mathematical calculation ever'. What does that even mean? :confused:

Anyway, interesting to see how this is already hailed as the next second coming just like AC was, based on just the name.

Personally I'm interested what physics engine they're going to use, assuming that the Unreal 4 engine will only be used for rendering.

FS7
02-02-2017, 18:07
Personally I think mod support isn't that great in rF2, too many limitations imo. rF1 & GTR2 are way better than rF2 in terms of mod support and options & customizing the game to my liking.

Zpectre87
02-02-2017, 18:09
IIRC it's the CPU that does the "calculations", the physics engine only presents the "equations". :D

panzerboy555
22-06-2018, 08:18
Looks like SimBin is going to release GTR 3 sometime this year.I remember the mods you could get for this game and the one mod I loved was the Porsche sound mods.
Can't believe it's been 12 years and still have the disc.

Madhun67
22-06-2018, 10:25
WOW I cant wait.Played the crap out of the original one.The sounds were great on the Panoz ,for the time!!!!!!!!!

Cholton82
22-06-2018, 11:13
IF this game ever releases and Iím still unsure it will my expectations are pretty low, Loved the first and second though and played them to death . I could see them getting the Blancpain championship until AC did so maybe the Adac GTmasters or something else would work .

panzerboy555
22-06-2018, 12:06
Should of said it's available on PC Xbox one and PS4.
GTR3 is the latest installment in the critically acclaimed GTR FIA Racing series, coming to PC and next generation consoles. Enter the world of a professional GT racing driver, across the world in Endurance racing championships.

AbeWoz
22-06-2018, 12:17
where are you seeing this latest info? i havn't heard anything about GTR3 since they 'announced' it in Feb. 2017

BigDad
22-06-2018, 12:51
where are you seeing this latest info? i havn't heard anything about GTR3 since they 'announced' it in Feb. 2017

Here i believe
http://www.simbin.com/
Simbin are hiring ! From 2011 !!!!!!!!!

panzerboy555
22-06-2018, 14:18

Read their tweets.
https://twitter.com/Simbinstudios

Cholton82
22-06-2018, 14:44
No chance this will come out this year especially on consoles .

Jescott71
14-08-2018, 08:31
So apparently, GTR 3 is going to be the official game of FIAWEC. I have no idea how reliable the source is, but it seems legit given that they're touting a demo of the game will be at Gamescom in Cologne in one weeks time.

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/confirmed-gtr-3-the-official-fia-world-endurance-championship-game.157938/

EDIT: There appears to be a Tweet from (I assume) the publisher seemingly confirming it.

https://twitter.com/Catalyst_Games/status/1027837049804599296

Cholton82
14-08-2018, 20:23
Been reading it with great interest and intrigue , For me GTR and GTR2 were the greatest sims and so in depth with fantastic detail , these are responsible for my interest in GT racing and Sim racing today.
It’s got big boots to fill but what a great time to be a sim racer it is , I wonder if it will be solely WEC or if there will be other categories available and whether there might be some form of career path and also what season for WEC they will pick with the LMP1-H debacle we currently have .

Schumi-
15-08-2018, 12:09
Pre-alpha footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndOduokiRbM

Bealdor
15-08-2018, 12:19
Pre-alpha footage

That's Assetto Corsa Competizione :rolleyes:

Schumi-
15-08-2018, 12:20
That's Assetto Corsa Competizione :rolleyes:

oops my mistake " runs off to hide"

AbeWoz
15-08-2018, 12:28
interesting that they say 'official WEC game' but the screenshot shared is of two GT3 spec 911 GT3 R's. One in an IMSA livery and the other in Japanese Super GT GT300 livery....

David Wright
15-08-2018, 12:33
interesting that they say 'official WEC game' but the screenshot shared is of two GT3 spec 911 GT3 R's. One in an IMSA livery and the other in Japanese Super GT GT300 livery....

Apparently these are cars and skins from Raceroom. The Tweet wasn't from Simbin themselves so probably wasn't carefully chosen by a knowledgeable person. I'm sure more news will appear from Simbin once their partner Sector3 has finished launching the new TCR pack. The WEC license has been confirmed to RaceDepartment by the head of Simbin.

Cholton82
15-08-2018, 13:10
I reckon there will be other championships alongside WEC , All aboard the HYPE train woo woo

David Wright
15-08-2018, 13:46
I reckon there will be other championships alongside WEC , All aboard the HYPE train woo woo

I'd be surprised if there were. GTR and GTR2 only covered the FIA GT Championship. F1 games only cover F1. NASCAR only cover NASCAR. We shall see.

Stewy32
15-08-2018, 14:25
Does anyone know if it is an official WEC license?
And also their are other series to the WEC in it,GT300 cars have been pictured.

David Wright
15-08-2018, 15:20
Does anyone know if it is an official WEC license?

RaceDepartment have confirmed its an official WEC license, but we don't know what year or years.

And also their are other series to the WEC in it,GT300 cars have been pictured.

This hasn't been confirmed. The pictured cars are in Raceroom and could simply be placeholders. The picture was not selected by Simbin.

Cholton82
15-08-2018, 15:25
I'd be surprised if there were. GTR and GTR2 only covered the FIA GT Championship. F1 games only cover F1. NASCAR only cover NASCAR. We shall see.

I think it will , 9 tracks if they go for the 2016 or 2017 season which would be a small amount of content , Iíd buy it for sure but I think for those that arenít crazy on the WEC the content wouldnít be enough and they need to appeal to a decent size audience to make it commercially viable . Obviously I know very little so Iím probably wrong

UkHardcore23
15-08-2018, 19:10
Pre-alpha footage

Loving the dashcam camera for us single screen users.

beetes_juice
15-08-2018, 23:13
^that is ACC

BigDad
15-08-2018, 23:47
oops my mistake " runs off to hide"

Run faster :p

David Wright
16-08-2018, 07:58
I think it will , 9 tracks if they go for the 2016 or 2017 season which would be a small amount of content , I’d buy it for sure but I think for those that aren’t crazy on the WEC the content wouldn’t be enough and they need to appeal to a decent size audience to make it commercially viable . Obviously I know very little so I’m probably wrong

It will be interesting to see how the market takes to ACC and GTR3, which naturally will have far fewer cars and tracks than PC2 let alone Forza and Gran Turismo Other than F1 and NASCAR, and leaving aside the WRC and MotoGP, the last racing sim which simulated a real championship was Simbin's DTM which didn't set the world on fire. AC launched with not much more than 9 tracks but did offer the option of mod tracks and has expanded its track rosta with DLC.

By all accounts, Simbin are a small team (less than 20) and even though they have the support of Sector3 staff I'd be surprised if they have the resources to do a game covering both the WEC and say IMSA even assuming the WEC license holder would be happy to share their license with another series. But the good thing about being a small team is you don't need to sell so many games to be commercially viable.

Jescott71
16-08-2018, 17:06
One thing that is interesting is that Le Mans has partnered with Forza for an e-sport series, so I don't know how that will play into the licensing with GTR 3. More details on the Le Mans e-sport series are coming in a few days time at the WEC Silverstone round this weekend.

http://www.lemansesports.com/en/

Stewy32
16-08-2018, 18:05
One thing that is interesting is that Le Mans has partnered with Forza for an e-sport series, so I don't know how that will play into the licensing with GTR 3. More details on the Le Mans e-sport series are coming in a few days time at the WEC Silverstone round this weekend.

http://www.lemansesports.com/en/

I am expecting that the 2019-20 eSports Series will be on GTR3.I feel like Forza paid them a lot and as they don't currently have their own game it was worth it.Also,good on marketing.

Cholton82
23-08-2018, 14:12
Been over on Race department following the GTR3 news , Paul over there was going to publish an article but nothing has been forthcoming and judging by SimBins latest tweet it seems to me this was a load of hot air . Basically saying they are working hard on it and will update in a few months , so it’s in development but who knows at what stage and who knows what the content and licenses will be but it sure ain’t a confirmed official WEC game not at least until it’s from the horses mouth.

Jescott71
23-08-2018, 21:16
So apparently, GTR 3 is going to be the official game of FIAWEC. I have no idea how reliable the source is, but it seems legit given that they're touting a demo of the game will be at Gamescom in Cologne in one weeks time.

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/confirmed-gtr-3-the-official-fia-world-endurance-championship-game.157938/

EDIT: There appears to be a Tweet from (I assume) the publisher seemingly confirming it.

https://twitter.com/Catalyst_Games/status/1027837049804599296

The tweet that I shared here from who I assumed was the publisher (Catalyst Games) has now been deleted. So yeah, I guess "a load of hot air" is a polite way to put it.

EDIT: The Tweet is still there, just not under that link any more for some reason, so I have no idea what's going on but it doesn't look good. I hope I'm wrong and they show something in the next two days.

David Wright
23-08-2018, 22:01
Been over on Race department following the GTR3 news , Paul over there was going to publish an article but nothing has been forthcoming and judging by SimBins latest tweet it seems to me this was a load of hot air . Basically saying they are working hard on it and will update in a few months , so itís in development but who knows at what stage and who knows what the content and licenses will be but it sure ainít a confirmed official WEC game not at least until itís from the horses mouth.

Which horses mouth did you have in mind?

While the non-appearing interview is puzzling and disappointing - I would still bet on GTR3 having the WEC license.

Officially announcing licenses for some reason is very problematical. I remember when Kunos announced they had the exclusive Porsche license, Ian Bell put out strong hints that PC2 would have both Ferrari and Porsche but he could not make a formal announcement at that time. Similarly when he hinted SMS have the Fast and Furious license on YouTube last September it apparently could have or got him into trouble with the license holder.

Cholton82
24-08-2018, 11:11
Horses mouth meaning game developer or head of studio , I’m sure it will happen or should I say I hope but that thread sure whipped up a frenzy amongst us avid sim racing fans chasing any bit of news or gossip.

I think anyone looking from an outside perspective maybe investors would see there is a lot of hype around this title.

FS7
29-08-2018, 12:08
GTR3 interview:
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/exclusive-gtr3-interview.158617/

David Wright
29-08-2018, 12:28
GTR3 interview:
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/exclusive-gtr3-interview.158617/

Longest suicide note in history?

Bealdor
29-08-2018, 13:01
Longest suicide note in history?

Aiming for a wider audience while at the same time NOT cannibalising their other racing game (R3E) is giving me the opposite impression tbh.

Funnily enough the reaction from the sim racing community couldn't be any more predictable...

"GTR3 will be a very good motorsport game is the words we use. We don’t want to paint ourselves in a corner with the game, it will cater for a wide variety of user tastes."

*Gets instantly put into a corner by the community* :applouse:

Invincible
29-08-2018, 13:20
Aiming for a wider audience while at the same time NOT cannibalising their other racing game (R3E) is giving me the opposite impression tbh.

Funnily enough the reaction from the sim racing community couldn't be any more predictable...

*Gets instantly put into a corner by the community* :applouse:

IDK what they expected... GTR3 should have been the big star on the hardcore-sim sky (according to the community).
"we don’t want to paint ourselves in a corner with the game" -> To most of the HC-simmers, this reads like: GTR3 wont be a sim, it will be a casual, arcade-y game with crappy physics because it will generate more sales.

They should know by now, how toxic the sim-community can be (they're always toxic AF tbh) and that such an announcement wont go without an uproar.

Mahjik
29-08-2018, 13:24
IDK what they expected... GTR3 should have been the big star on the hardcore-sim sky (according to the community).
"we don’t want to paint ourselves in a corner with the game" -> To most of the HC-simmers, this reads like: GTR3 wont be a sim, it will be a casual, arcade-y game with crappy physics because it will generate more sales.

Could be something in between like Test Drive Ferrari. I think many people are placing judgement too early on what is or what it is not.

Invincible
29-08-2018, 13:27
Could be something in between like Test Drive Ferrari. I think many people are placing judgement too early on what is or what it is not.

I think we have experienced ourselves that everything that isn't hardcore to the limit is despised by some minor, but very very vocal parts of the sim-community.

Sankyo
29-08-2018, 13:54
They should have included a hardcore sim mode with totally bollocks tyre physics making it nearly impossibly to keep the car straight. Stupidly difficult, and hence realistic :rolleyes:

beetes_juice
29-08-2018, 13:59
While its toxic as hell in the comment section I don't think anyone is asking for the above. :confused:

GTR3 has been teased for years, people hold it close to their heart, I can see where some of these guys are coming from.

Sankyo
29-08-2018, 14:09
While its toxic as hell in the comment section I don't think anyone is asking for the above. :confused:

GTR3 has been teased for years, people hold it close to their heart, I can see where some of these guys are coming from.

Consider this: why would 'slightly easier than real life' be worse than 'more difficult than real life', since both situations are not realistic? GTR and GTR2 were more difficult than real life and hence more or less equally far from the truth as GTR3 apparently will be, but somehow more sim. Where's the logic in that?
Also current perceived hardcore sims are still more difficult than real life, so it's not just about the GTR name heritage.

David Wright
29-08-2018, 14:27
GTR and GTR2 were more difficult than real life ....

Have you actually driven GTR and GTR2? GTR was arguably more difficult than in real life, but GTR2 was much easier to drive than GTR.

Stewy32
29-08-2018, 14:37
If it is closer to a Forza game than PC2 I won't buy.Otherwise I probably will.Particularly if they get that WEC license.

UkHardcore23
29-08-2018, 14:51
"We see GTR3 as kind of the gateway. If people play it and love it, the next step would be RaceRoom"

Are they bringing Raceroom to consoles now? I need Raceroom sounds in my life!

Sankyo
29-08-2018, 14:54
Have you actually driven GTR and GTR2? GTR was arguably more difficult than in real life, but GTR2 was much easier to drive than GTR.

Yes, and true.
But IMO GTR2 was still more difficult than real life (although I've never driven a GT spec car myself of course :rolleyes:). My experience with GTR2 was that cars would always spin out if you were too eager with the throttle, I've never managed a single controlled power slide I could start and stop at will, and I could never get a car to 'bite' into a corner. It was understeer left, right and center all the time.

cpcdem
29-08-2018, 14:57
I am actually relieved to hear it will not be a (another) sim (if that assumption is correct), because IMHO we already way have too many sims, fragmenting an already niche market. We already have (A-Z) AC, AMS, PCARS2, rF2, RRE, not to mention iRacing which has its separate market and ACC which is coming soon. Why? What's the point of implementing the exact same thing over and over again, same tracks and cars modeled multiple times, every team going through the same issues regarding boping,implementing side features etc etc, over and over again?

OK, I agree some developers have a different vision to the others, so I could accept having 2-3 different sims, but that's about it, I think it would be advantageous for all concerned if the rest simply merged, leading to products with more content and features that each one separately has, resources would be allocated on implementing more or fixing stuff, than redoing Spa for the 10th time from scratch! It's not like we play FPS games, where it makes sense to just create more and more different maps, different weapon system, different story line etc, in sim racing all companies are doing (or are trying to do) almost the same exact thing...

FS7
29-08-2018, 14:59
Instead of making a simcade to "cater to the masses" why not make a proper sim with sim physics to appeal to the hardcore simracers, and include driving aids, tutorials, adjustable difficulty/realism options, good default controller settings, and good default setups to make the game more accessible to the casuals?

Shinzah
29-08-2018, 15:02
Instead of making a simcade to "cater to the masses" why not make a proper sim with sim physics to appeal to the hardcore simracers, and include driving aids, tutorials, adjustable difficulty/realism options, good default controller settings, and good default setups to make the game more accessible to the casuals?

Because like it or not, Simracers are not the be and end all of racing games. Casual gamers, are.

Bealdor
29-08-2018, 15:19

It's been a long time since I played GTR2 the last time but IIRC it was still pretty hard to drive, especially when the tires started to slide.
That's where PCARS 2 for example really shines.
It feels much more progressive in those situations but that's really the advantage of the tire model, which was simply not available back in the GTR days.

Of course the RD crowd will never admit that because the vast majority doesn't know a damn about FEA and why it's such a huge achievement to have this in a consumer grade simulation. ;)
Too many sim racers are driven by expectations based on previous sims and while the consensus "harder = more sim" is generally acknowledged as being outdated, sims are still better received if they're harder than RL compeared to being easier.

David Wright
29-08-2018, 16:35
But Chris isn't saying it will be easy to drive because its realistic. Raceroom is typically no harder to drive than PC2 - easier in some respects - steep curbs and grass are typically less hazardous. But apparently Raceroom even with full driving aids is too hard for their target audience.

Stewy32
29-08-2018, 16:47
I think that ideally their should be 4-5 active sims,2-3 active simcades and 4-5 active arcade racers at any one time.

BigDad
30-08-2018, 04:30
It's been a long time since I played GTR2 the last time but IIRC it was still pretty hard to drive, especially when the tires started to slide.
That's where PCARS 2 for example really shines.
It feels much more progressive in those situations but that's really the advantage of the tire model, which was simply not available back in the GTR days.

Of course the RD crowd will never admit that because the vast majority doesn't know a damn about FEA and why it's such a huge achievement to have this in a consumer grade simulation. ;)
Too many sim racers are driven by expectations based on previous sims and while the consensus "harder = more sim" is generally acknowledged as being outdated, sims are still better received if they're harder than RL compeared to being easier.

I consider myself pretty much a Sim snob , a hardcore simmer , but what's FEA ?

Bealdor
30-08-2018, 05:08
I consider myself pretty much a Sim snob , a hardcore simmer , but what's FEA ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_element_method

Figuratively speaking, it's an approximation method that is (in PCARS 2's specific case) used to split the contact patch of the tire into small elements (Finite Elements) and analyse their state/shape under current workloads.
That this can be done 600 times a second on a home PC without bringing the CPU to its knees is a huge achievement and the best thing is, that it's easily scalable for future hardware.
By increasing the mesh resolution you can get even better results (up to a point though, because it's a case of diminishing returns the higher the resolution is).

It has pretty much become the standard in my profession (structural engineering) and for good reasons, but the downside is ,as mentioned earlier, that it's very computation-intensive.

ermo
07-09-2018, 09:43
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_element_method

Figuratively speaking, it's an approximation method that is (in PCARS 2's specific case) used to split the contact patch of the tire into small elements (Finite Elements) and analyse their state/shape under current workloads.
That this can be done 600 times a second on a home PC without bringing the CPU to its knees is a huge achievement and the best thing is, that it's easily scalable for future hardware.
By increasing the mesh resolution you can get even better results (up to a point though, because it's a case of diminishing returns the higher the resolution is).

It has pretty much become the standard in my profession (structural engineering) and for good reasons, but the downside is ,as mentioned earlier, that it's very computation-intensive.

AIUI there are bigger gains to be made from increasing the physics tick from 600 to 1200 or 1800 Hz. The increase in computation time of doing this is linear ( O(n) ) and allows for more fine grained detail filtering through in behaviour, whereas sticking to 600 and increasing the number of elements results in an algorithmic complexity of > O (n) -- perhaps quadratic O (n≤) since the contact patch is an m*n matrix? Which likely equates to loops of loops?

Of course, this won't be possible with current console hardware specifications, since SMS already need to adjust the tick rate to < 600 Hz at high loads (to the detriment of feel apparently).

As an aside, it should already be possible to move to higher tick rates on higher-end PCs with >4 cores, assuming that one thread is assigned to each tyre with -pthreads 4. Obviously, only SMS can adjust this as I don't know if the physics tick rate is even user controllable at this point.