PDA

View Full Version : Shifter for G27 that supports both H-Pattern and Sequential?

EHM
08-02-2017, 10:26
I was wondering if there is any way to have a reliable shifter that supports both H-Pattern and Sequential that is somehow compatible with a G27?

The G27 shifter as we know does not support Sequential shifting, the closest thing you can get is using rubber bands a certain way, but I'd rather something else a little more reliable.

I have no idea of how compatibility works with these things, is it possible to use a third party one for example or possibly buy a used one from the G25? (The G25 annoyingly seemed to have both H-Pattern and Sequential)

Roger Prynne
08-02-2017, 11:16
I was wondering if there is any way to have a reliable shifter that supports both H-Pattern and Sequential that is somehow compatible with a G27?

The G27 shifter as we know does not support Sequential shifting, the closest thing you can get is using rubber bands a certain way, but I'd rather something else a little more reliable.

I have no idea of how compatibility works with these things, is it possible to use a third party one for example or possibly buy a used one from the G25? (The G25 annoyingly seemed to have both H-Pattern and Sequential)

That would be your cheapest solution (if you can find one)
There are more but I'll leave that to the guys that have them to explain.

Silraed
08-02-2017, 11:41
You have two main options other than an old G25 shifter, they are the Thrustmaster TH8A and the Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ, neither of them are exactly cheap.

The Thrustmaster is the cheaper of the two, comes with everything to connect it straight to your PC through USB but it requires more time and effort to switch between modes. Switching modes requires taking the knob off, unscrewing the shifter plate and then putting the desired plate on. In terms of how good it is it is a significant step up from the G27 shifter, it has adjustable resistance but can't really go really tight and it has a pretty long throw which puts some people off. The thread for the knob isn't a standard thread however so finding one that will fit is pretty hard if you want to customise it.

The Fanatec is in another price bracket and it's pretty much an all around better product and again a significant step up from the TH8A. Heavier duty build, can get a much chunkier and higher resistance shift feel than the TH8A, switching modes simply requires moving a switch on the side and it has a standard thread for the knob so you can customise it with virtually any knob for a real car. The biggest downside of the shifter and the reason I would never grab one after their Australian price hike unless I was purchasing the whole ecosystem, is that to hook it up to your PC without a Fanatec wheelbase you need to also purchase an adapter which in Australia goes for $40, also if you need the mounting clamp that is another $50 in Australia.

EDIT: I should add that I own the TH8A as shown in my signature and have had the chance to try the Fanatec, I'm not just talking out my ass after reading a spec sheet :).

Roger Prynne
08-02-2017, 12:24
I'm not just talking out my ass after reading a spec sheet
No dirty talk please... ;)

Roger Prynne
08-02-2017, 12:49
Haha just seen this.....

Silraed
08-02-2017, 13:37
Well that mod is... something else.

I feel I should write a small addition to my initial comment, rereading it I might have been unintentionally hard on or critical of the TH8A. It is still easily worth it's price and is a great piece of kit.

Mahjik
08-02-2017, 13:39
Any standalone shifter will work (i.e. connects to the PC via USB). Just find the one that fits your needs and wallet. I will say, stay away from Act Labs. For a while, they were the only company with a sim shifter so I used them. They work great for a little while and then they begin to fail. I went through three of them and now have the Thrustmaster which is much higher quality.