PDA

View Full Version : Could the developer answer this please about set ups

racerkoopa
09-02-2017, 20:15
Hi
I love pcars on the ps4 with my t80 wheel but i am so fed up with all the settings you have to do and it actually made me not bother to do it. Could you tell me whether you have included default setups in project cars 2, so we dont have to set the car up ourselves? This would be much appreciated and at least we could match the faster racers who know how to set the cars up for each track.

hkraft300
09-02-2017, 20:51
Hi
I love pcars on the ps4 with my t80 wheel but i am so fed up with all the settings you have to do and it actually made me not bother to do it. Could you tell me whether you have included default setups in project cars 2, so we dont have to set the car up ourselves? This would be much appreciated and at least we could match the faster racers who know how to set the cars up for each track.

Pcars1 came with default setups.
Pcars2 will have the same. Maybe not track-specific, but they'll have a good enough default.
As for the bold part: that's not possible. Fast guys put in the extra time and effort to practice, test and tune, so naturally they'll be faster. I spend a lot of time tuning to compensate for my lack of talent.
Don't kid yourself. Racing is not like playing a guitar.

Haiden
09-02-2017, 20:56
But the defaults aren't that good. And I think he means the difficulty involved in using them.

This came directly from Ian, and was in an article at Race Department.

Ian Bell: "We have new physics and from that falls out new FFB. For this one we're shipping (as of now) 3 FFB preset options (we default 1 of course) that you can single click and get (hopefully!) the feel you prefer from the feedback. I'm biased but it's a huge step forward from the rocket science we had before. That rocket science is still hidden in sub menus and accessible for the more masochistic"​

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/pcars-2-announcement-trailer-released-massive-q-a.131576/

I've also heard that their will be a better matching making system, so you get paired with drivers more at your skill level than the random fest it is now.

Schnizz58
09-02-2017, 21:02
But the defaults aren't that good. And I think he means the difficulty involved in using them.

In my opinion (not sure if Ian agrees), FFB shouldn't be part of the track-specific setup anyway. FFB should be per car but the setup should be per car/track (as it is now).

hkraft300
09-02-2017, 21:02

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/pcars-2-announcement-trailer-released-massive-q-a.131576/

That's great news regarding ffb.
Car tuning, specifically, is a different ball game.
I think some people have misconceptions about car setup. There are no silver bullets (camber and TT fuel exploits aside :p)

Haiden
09-02-2017, 23:30
That's great news regarding ffb.
Car tuning, specifically, is a different ball game.
I think some people have misconceptions about car setup. There are no silver bullets (camber and TT fuel exploits aside :p)

I thought the OP was referring to in-car FFB setups, which are all pretty much set to 100, with a few exceptions on the SoP side. That kind of sucks for people that don't want to fuss with the FFB. I agree with Schnizz, though... That needs to be simplified to a single master gain slider that's car specific, not track specific. If we're talking about tuning setups, then I agree with you. PCars does have decent defaults. All you have to do is adjust tire and brake pressure and set the gearing. All three are easy adjustments to make. Anything beyond that, you just need to learn how to tune. Some titles allow you to trade setups. I'm not really a fan of that. I think it's an easy option that prevents people from learning. If you don't want to tune, then just use the defaults. Besides... if you get brake pressure, tire pressure, and gearing straight, you can still be extremely competitive without adjusting anything else.

hkraft300
09-02-2017, 23:47
I don't want to fuss with ffb so I don't :D

I don't think there's a silver bullet in regards to ffb either. The ability of the wheel is a big factor also. My G29 can't do much regardless of how much I play with the sliders. a T500/Fanatec on the other hand has the dynamic range to make a reasonable difference in tactile feel and ffb. So until I get myself a baller PC+Vive+Fanatec (here's looking at au$6k+ :rolleyes) setup, I'll leave it be. Anyway, plenty happy with the G29 still.
FFB and setups don't make you fast. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Blind Jesus
10-02-2017, 05:36
I have a very important question regarding setups as well. Will we finally be able to have multiple setups per car per track? It's extremely annoying to have to save alternative setups(rain, wip,etc)to another track in the convoluted garage menu if you don't want to lose your current. Also, will we finally be able to share/trade setups outside of having to manually input every variable?

honespc
10-02-2017, 06:04
Don't kid yourself. Racing is not like playing a guitar.as If playing guitar or any other instrument was some easy endeavour

hkraft300
10-02-2017, 12:46
as If playing guitar or any other instrument was some easy endeavour

I couldn't play the guitar or piano to save my life.
I can't drum either.
But I can sort of coordinate my hands and feet to some pedals, wheel and shifter. Funny how the brain works.
My point is that someone can tune an instrument for you, and with enough repetition you can play (drive) a song (track) as well as any.
Tuning a race car to be fast: there's many more variables than tuning an instrument. 1) driver preference, 2) purpose eg TT/Sprint/endurance, 3) type of car, 4) weather/climate, list goes on. I race with a few guys and we are very close in lap times in some cars, but our setups don't work for each other.
I've also seen guys qualify 3 seconds clear of the field but fall behind after 5 laps and lose the race.
So no, not that I'm saying playing an instrument is easy, but racing is a different ball game.

honespc
10-02-2017, 13:03
So you indeed think racing is harder than playing an instrument professionally?. Man please tell me you're just messing with me :)

Mahjik
10-02-2017, 13:07
Ok, guys, let's not start a discussion around a hyperbole... Two different disciplines that require two different skillsets...

Haiden
10-02-2017, 14:55
So no, not that I'm saying playing an instrument is easy, but racing is a different ball game.

So you indeed think racing is harder than playing an instrument professionally?. Man please tell me you're just messing with me :)

Ok, guys, let's not start a discussion around a hyperbole... Two different disciplines that require two different skillsets...

Which is pretty much what he said in the first place. Don't know how/why that got turned into racing is harder. :confused: