PDA

View Full Version : Career saves wrong

akhv
11-02-2017, 16:37
Playing career, 3rd season, graduated into formula rookie. Decided to play US championship, qualified 1st at Watkins Glen, got usual ai tweets (great qual etc), but now the game thinks that I play German championship, I can enter German qual or race, but I can't choose UK or US qual/races anymore. Is there a way to fix this?

Mahjik
11-02-2017, 17:06
I think you might be misunderstanding how the career works. Multiple championships are going on at the same time. You can enter any of them that you are eligible for and/or skip the ones you don't want to do. i.e. you skip any say the German Championship and only run weekends for the US Championship.

akhv
11-02-2017, 17:27
I'm not talking about optional championships. When you start a season to enter main world championship first you have to do well in a regional one. They all run on the same days. In formula rookie you can choose one of the three, UK, US or German. And that's my problem, the game thinks that I chose German one and that I only finished practice. When in reality I entered US and finished qual.

I uploaded screenshots to illustrate what happened, but forum doesn't let me post the links.

Konan
11-02-2017, 18:12
You can post links after your 5th post (spam restriction)...
Have you tried to skip the German one?

akhv
11-02-2017, 21:50
It feels like I can't explain my problem clear enough. You can't skip main career events, you can just enter them and then retire. I don't know how it can help.
I'll try to explain my problem more clearly.

Formula rookie career season, Feb 26th and 27th. Both days there are 4 events: Formula A (obviously I can't participate so it's greyed out) and three formula rookie challenges (UK, German and US). Friday 26th practice, saturday 27th qual and races.
So I enter US challenge on 27th. Finish qual, continue to race (it should save my progress) then quit back to career screen to return later. And now the game locks me out of all events on 27th except German challenge (UK and US qual and race are greyed out), where I can enter both race and qualification (because obviously I didn't do German qual, I did US one). But still it remembers that I finished qual (all those "great pole" tweets and letter from my team are still shown to me).
So the game effectively threw me out of one championship into another.

Mahjik
12-02-2017, 13:12
I will be honest and say that I'm not following you with what happened. However, it's hard to understand without being right there when it happened.

At the end of the day, once you enter a championship you cannot skip the weekends. You can only enter and retire until that championship is done. So you can do that, or you can create an entirely new career (you can have multiple careers per profile) and start over.

akhv
12-02-2017, 13:24
Do I really explain that bad, or do you think that you understood me wrong because that couldn't have happened?
Of course I can start new career but what's the point if the game can forget which championship I participate in.

Konan
12-02-2017, 13:26
You should be able to post screenshots now...

Mahjik
12-02-2017, 13:52
Do I really explain that bad, or do you think that you understood me wrong because that couldn't have happened?
Of course I can start new career but what's the point if the game can forget which championship I participate in.

Bit of both...

However, in 2 years, you are the first person I've seen post about this... So either there is something you did that is contributing to the situation (which no one here can confirm nor deny), or it's a glitch that may or may not happen again but for the most part there likely won't be a change in this area.

I will say I haven't done a lot with career, but I did a season with the Formula Rookie and then one with the Ginetta Junior. I never experienced anything similar to what you are mentioning here.

akhv
12-02-2017, 13:54
Thanks. Now here's my story.

My current career calendar, feb 27th: German challenge is active, all other events are greyed out. Obviously I can take part in German championship only.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/90472828867110239/05C03B7465B6301D5A69C53CCEBDFEE42B2A420D/

But actually I entered US challenge. First finished practice on 26th:

Then I entered and finished US challenge qualification on 27th:

Now I should be able to continue US challenge racing weekend and enter race on 27th. But I can't. The game forgot that I took part in US championship and decided that I play German chamionship instead. Obviously my US results didn't transfer with me to Germany, so I can enter German qualification. But I still am congratulated on my (US) pole on social media career page. I guess that means that my US qualification results are saved somewhere. It's just that I can't enter US challenge anymore because you can't play all regional challenges at the same time, and the game decided that my place is in Germany.

Konan
12-02-2017, 14:16
In one of your posts you mention you qualified in US....continued to race and quit to come back later...i think that's the issue:you "abandoned" the US race by quitting...

Mahjik
12-02-2017, 14:46
Again, without being there to see exactly what you did and the result, it's going to be neigh impossible to determine a root cause. That sounds like the correct procedure (complete qualifying, go to race but exit so it saves up to that point). But since we didn't see "how" you exited, it hard to say.

Mad Al
12-02-2017, 15:06
I had the same sort of thing happen once through the whole of dev and since release (and I'm sure it wasn't with the rookie)... and I've never managed to replicate it (despite trying all sorts of ways). I'm guessing it's one of those 1 in a million things.. otherwise there would be a lot more reports. I've just run the rookie round in the US local again, exiting prior to the first race (both from the end of Q and from the race start screen), with and without exiting the game too.. and every time it progresses fine to the race.

Konan
12-02-2017, 15:10
What Mahjik said...maybe it's the way one exits...

Mad Al
12-02-2017, 15:12
What Mahjik said...maybe it's the way one exits...

carefully... always :)

akhv
12-02-2017, 16:48
So is this official support forum? Do devs read it? And if not, how can I contact them?

Mahjik
12-02-2017, 17:01
So is this official support forum? Do devs read it? And if not, how can I contact them?

They do read this forum. However, for the most part, pCARS1 is done. There may still be some patches going forward for game breaking issues (i.e. issues that affects all players or at least a large majority) but I wouldn't expect too many more patches.

Konan
12-02-2017, 18:24

No offense but have you at least tried starting a new career as suggested?
This is not a recurring issue and it might be a PITA to do so but if it resolves your problem...

akhv
13-02-2017, 10:37
I resumed career from a backup save from a start of a previous season, so I effectively lost a whole season progress. I think a simple savegame edit (something like move "active" flag from one event to the other) would have helped me, but I found no such editor and no way to contact devs with my problem. I thought this forum is such a way, I guess I was wrong.

Konan
13-02-2017, 12:11
In order to get the devs' attention it needs to be a common returning issue though...this is something that so far happened twice in about two years...
We are all willing to help you but as Mahjik said,this is a strange issue...

Mahjik
13-02-2017, 13:03
no way to contact devs with my problem. I thought this forum is such a way, I guess I was wrong.

To answer this question, no there is no way for you to talk directly to a developer (or at least for you to initiate the conversation). At times, a developer may post in a thread, but there is no way for you to directly start a conversation with a developer.

akhv
13-02-2017, 13:47
To answer this question, no there is no way for you to talk directly to a developer (or at least for you to initiate the conversation). At times, a developer may post in a thread, but there is no way for you to directly start a conversation with a developer.

Wow. So the game is officially unsupported and players are left to deal with any issues on their own.

akhv
13-02-2017, 13:55
In order to get the devs' attention it needs to be a common returning issue though...this is something that so far happened twice in about two years...
We are all willing to help you but as Mahjik said,this is a strange issue...

A simple automatic back-up save would solve my problem. And I've seen a lot of reports of lost career saves, setups etc where it would help too. (That's why I did save my career file in first place, pity I did it just once)
Saving game is basic functionality but the game fails even that. Now this is the only game where I have to manually back-up my save file after every playing session. Amazing really.

But never mind, just venting, there's nothing you guys can do.

Mahjik
13-02-2017, 14:27
Wow. So the game is officially unsupported and players are left to deal with any issues on their own.

No, it's never been any different. The devs will choose if they want to engage with users or not. In general, the way it works is that the moderators find "repeatable" problems. We report those to the devs in a "Moderator Section" of the forum. What happens after that, the moderators here don't have visibility to.. In some cases, the devs may post back in our "Moderator Section" asking the moderators to get more information. In other times, the devs may post back specifically in the thread to ask the user directly for more information. But there has never been a "press here to get a dev on the line" scenario. That's not how support works.

As far as your issue, from a software troubleshooting perceptive, it's nearly impossible to fix something that cannot be replicated. i.e. if you have the exact steps to make a problem happen, the devs can run the same steps via their debugging tools to find out the issue. If the steps cannot be replicated, it's unlikely the devs could debug to find the problem as they may never be able to recreate it. I was a software developer for over 20 years. It's darn near impossible to fix a problem you cannot recreate yourself.

akhv
13-02-2017, 16:10
No, it's never been any different. The devs will choose if they want to engage with users or not. In general, the way it works is that the moderators find "repeatable" problems. We report those to the devs in a "Moderator Section" of the forum. What happens after that, the moderators here don't have visibility to.. In some cases, the devs may post back in our "Moderator Section" asking the moderators to get more information. In other times, the devs may post back specifically in the thread to ask the user directly for more information. But there has never been a "press here to get a dev on the line" scenario. That's not how support works.

As far as your issue, from a software troubleshooting perceptive, it's nearly impossible to fix something that cannot be replicated. i.e. if you have the exact steps to make a problem happen, the devs can run the same steps via their debugging tools to find out the issue. If the steps cannot be replicated, it's unlikely the devs could debug to find the problem as they may never be able to recreate it. I was a software developer for over 20 years. It's darn near impossible to fix a problem you cannot recreate yourself.

Wow once more. Of course a problem won't be replicated if noone tries to replicate it. I got a glitched out savefile which a dev could take a look at and maybe find a problem (maybe not of course) but at least they could try and be aware of the problem. And also there's a simple solution of backup autosaves which should be implemented long ago.
But why bother when you could just hide from paying customers. Just imagine a world where every business would be like that.

I wish I knew all that before buying the game.

Sankyo
13-02-2017, 16:41
Wow once more. Of course a problem won't be replicated if noone tries to replicate it. I got a glitched out savefile which a dev could take a look at and maybe find a problem (maybe not of course) but at least they could try and be aware of the problem.
SMS is aware of the problem, it's been reported quite a few times. On dev machines it doesn't happen, unfortunately. Not sure from what you concluded that they did not try to replicate it?

And also there's a simple solution of backup autosaves which should be implemented long ago.
Nothing is simple when making software.

But why bother when you could just hide from paying customers. Just imagine a world where every business would be like that.
Not sure how creating a support forum and maintaining it is hiding? Just that you're not getting the answer you're looking for doesn't mean they're hiding.

I wish I knew all that before buying the game.
I'm sure that making a manual back-up (batch file is easily made) isn't all that world-shattering? And if it's happening regularly on your system, make sure you check your anti-virus/malware settings or other 3rd-party tools running in the background that may interfere with writing to disk. It may be something on your system that is causing the problem.

akhv
13-02-2017, 18:36
Nothing is simple when making software.
I'm sure that making a manual back-up (batch file is easily made)

Oh the irony.

Konan
13-02-2017, 18:49
Oh the irony.

The irony is that you just tried to compare apples with pears...
Look...i'm the first to admit i'm a total pc noob (in fact i did so several times) but if a programmer with 20 years under his belt says it isn't easy,i wouldn't question him...
I got to know these guys quite well over the years and believe me if they could help, they would...

Mahjik
13-02-2017, 19:14
akhv,

I've been on, and continue to be on both sides (i.e. developer and consumer). I definitely see your side of the issue but I also understand the other side as well. There is nothing I can say to make you understand the other side if you have never lived it. I do agree that a backup or other type of system would be ideal for the profiles. However, backups can be corrupt as well (been there, done that). I can't say that anything will change for pCARS1 but I would wager this is an area that SMS will spend more time on for pCARS2.

If you happen to have it happen again, please to note every step/button press you did so SMS can attempt to replicate it.

akhv
13-02-2017, 19:19
The irony is that you just tried to compare apples with pears...
Look...i'm the first to admit i'm a total pc noob (in fact i did so several times) but if a programmer with 20 years under his belt says it isn't easy,i wouldn't question him...

Come on, it's a standard feature in games. And when you got just one savefile of course there are lots of ways something bad can happen to it, and you're going to have a very angry customer. So you really need to create a backup, it's just a basic risk management.
Really, I can't believe that I have to say this.

Sankyo
13-02-2017, 19:31
I cannot remember I played any game ever that had an automated backup and restore function for savegames?

akhv
13-02-2017, 19:34
akhv,

I've been on, and continue to be on both sides (i.e. developer and consumer). I definitely see your side of the issue but I also understand the other side as well. There is nothing I can say to make you understand the other side if you have never lived it. I do agree that a backup or other type of system would be ideal for the profiles. However, backups can be corrupt as well (been there, done that). I can't say that anything will change for pCARS1 but I would wager this is an area that SMS will spend more time on for pCARS2.

If you happen to have it happen again, please to note every step/button press you did so SMS can attempt to replicate it.

I still remember everything I did (for example before continuing from quali to race I watched replay a bit, and there was a note onscreen - "AI driver, lap records won't be saved", and I thought this is strange. I'm not sure it should appear during a replay. I may be wrong though.), I got a PCprofiler telemetry file from the session, I got glitched savegame file. But what's the point, there's noone to send it to.

Mahjik
13-02-2017, 19:56
I got a PCprofiler telemetry file from the session, I got glitched savegame file. But what's the point, there's noone to send it to.

You can attach them here in this thread. I can't promise anyone will look at it, but you can say that at least from your side you did everything. I will say, typically looking at a corrupted/problem file doesn't do much. You can rarely tell how the file got that way unless there are repeatable steps to get there.

Mad Al
13-02-2017, 20:13
I still remember everything I did (for example before continuing from quali to race I watched replay a bit, and there was a note onscreen - "AI driver, lap records won't be saved", and I thought this is strange. I'm not sure it should appear during a replay. I may be wrong though.), I got a PCprofiler telemetry file from the session, I got glitched savegame file. But what's the point, there's noone to send it to.

Then create a new career and do the exact same things again.. if it happens a second time, I'd be more than a little surprised. I've lost count of just how many times I've run through the career, partially or fully, during testing and since release (you did realise you can have multiple careers, I take it ?).. not to mention just how many times I've tried to recreate the one time it happened to me.

Automated backup.. hmm and at what point do you back up? On start up, at which point you may have a corruption from the last time you played. Before closing the game down, where you may have corrupted during the last save anyway. The only good way to do it is either using a third party backup (or even a simple batch script) or use the built in Windows file backup.

Can I just say, thanks for reminding me to get rid of the near 1200 backup save files from PC2 ... I kept meaning to check and forget that sometimes Windows built in File backup gets a little OTT...

akhv
13-02-2017, 20:14
I cannot remember I played any game ever that had an automated backup and restore function for savegames?

I don't think there's a need for a completely automated system. Sid Meier's Civilization 5 creates an autosave at the start of a game and then an autosave every 10 turns, and keeps 5 most recent ones and the first one. And there's a system of manual saves on top of that. Endless space (another turn based strategy) keeps 4 most recent autosaves etc. And career in Project CARS is essentially a turn-based game.

Sampo
14-02-2017, 02:21
Skyrim has backup saves too.