PDA

View Full Version : New to the game, a few questions

hardywang
20-02-2017, 18:47
Hi all,

I just got the game because of Xbox live gold membership free game. I am an experienced Forza player, I drive with manual + clutch, brake without ABS, TCS is half off in Forza.

And in PCars I have just started my career to play Formula rookie, and I have few questions here:

Is there no brake feedback on controller LT? I squeeze the brake but I have no idea how much brake force I applied already. In Forza the trigger provides very nice feedback from slight force applied to wheel locked feeling.
How do you brake properly in PCars? When I approached a corner I try to slow down, I applied half force it looks like nothing really happened. Then I further squeezed LT to about 75% to 80%, the car started to spin all of sudden. The brake bias adjustment does not seem to help at all.

Do I miss anything here, such as controller setting?

Stewy32
20-02-2017, 18:56
HardyWang try a GT or LMP car because then you might notice it is the car not an overall issue.

RacerDude
20-02-2017, 19:12
Yeah some cars are tricky. Try a few different cars to see if you have the same issue. There are some cars in the game that I flat out suck with and others that I'm pretty good with.

hkraft300
20-02-2017, 20:20
Is there no brake feedback on controller LT? I squeeze the brake but I have no idea how much brake force I applied already. In Forza the trigger provides very nice feedback from slight force applied to wheel locked feeling.
How do you brake properly in PCars? When I approached a corner I try to slow down, I applied half force it looks like nothing really happened. Then I further squeezed LT to about 75% to 80%, the car started to spin all of sudden. The brake bias adjustment does not seem to help at all.

1) not sure. It doesn't buzz on ds4 or my G29. I think there's brake pedal rumble if abs is on, but that may only be for Fanatec.
Basically all you'll get is the forces from the steering rack of the car. Turn down engine sound so you can hear the tyres better, or use abs.

2) brake sensitivity in controller settings. Maybe try 50? Brake bias and pressure are both important. With 100% pressure, some cars will still lock rear brakes at 60-65% bias, depending on the car.

hardywang
20-02-2017, 21:35
HardyWang try a GT or LMP car because then you might notice it is the car not an overall issue.

How to get such cars?

hardywang
20-02-2017, 21:39
2) brake sensitivity in controller settings. Maybe try 50? Brake bias and pressure are both important. With 100% pressure, some cars will still lock rear brakes at 60-65% bias, depending on the car.

In Formula rookie career mode, the only thing I can adjust is tire pressures, brake force and brake bias. There is no differential setting.

Let me try to adjust brake force. Since I know I am driving without ABS, I never slam the brake like real life.

Thanks

FS7
20-02-2017, 21:39
How to get such cars?
All cars & tracks are available in solo mode.

Mahjik
20-02-2017, 21:41
How to get such cars?

In career mode, you'd have to either climb the ladder or start a new career (you can have multiple careers) and start at GT/LMP. You can also use the Quick Race and Free Practice modes to drive any cars you want. There is no "grinding" to get cars.

hkraft300
20-02-2017, 22:27
In Formula rookie career mode, the only thing I can adjust is tire pressures, brake force and brake bias. There is no differential setting.

Let me try to adjust brake force. Since I know I am driving without ABS, I never slam the brake like real life.

Thanks

I don't know xb1 menu but in the car tuning page (where you have tyre and brake adjustment), you hit the L2/R2 to change pages for different tuning options. Aero, suspension, differential, gears etc. Formula rookie is very adjustable.

ColBBQ
21-02-2017, 00:52
Check your sensetivity for the brakes. Used to crash on all curves until discovery of a 50% lag which made it difficult to balance the car in the braking zone. Not sure if Xbox has a telemetry mode but take a drive in one of the cars and gently press the brakes around 10% to see if you have any pressure.

hardywang
22-02-2017, 00:17
I tried one LMP, it is much better. I still feel I am clumsy comparing with Forza but at least I can control everything.

I don't know xb1 menu but in the car tuning page (where you have tyre and brake adjustment), you hit the L2/R2 to change pages for different tuning options. Aero, suspension, differential, gears etc. Formula rookie is very adjustable.
I checked again, the very first race of Formula rookie has nothing more than tire pressure, brake force/bias.

hkraft300
22-02-2017, 00:46
I tried one LMP, it is much better. I still feel I am clumsy comparing with Forza but at least I can control everything.

I checked again, the very first race of Formula rookie has nothing more than tire pressure, brake force/bias.

Even the superkarts have more adjustments. The formula rookie has adjustable gears, damping, springs and sway bars...
Look for the small buttons along the top the tuning menu: there definitely are more tuning pages. If you can't find it in the career, then go to the garage from the main menu.

I've played Forza 1-5 and grab turismo 2-6. I also had a brief stint on rfactor in a commercial sim rig before I got pcars.
Pcars gave me a rude awakening. I did have to lose the bad habits I learned in the FM/GT series. Slow myself down and start again. Just because you're fast on GT/FM, doesn't mean you're fast in real life (I think their sim pretensions are dangerous on young impressionable minds) or in a more accurate sim such as pcars.

In effect those games have a background steering assist. Pcars game pad steering is much more direct.

kevin kirk
22-02-2017, 17:48
Hi all,

I just got the game because of Xbox live gold membership free game. I am an experienced Forza player, I drive with manual + clutch, brake without ABS, TCS is half off in Forza.

And in PCars I have just started my career to play Formula rookie, and I have few questions here:

this game will do some weird things that you arnt use to because temperature plays a big part in it. It matters greatly about the temps of your brakes, tires, and so on. As far as brakes (and throttle) I found turning the sensitivity to 0 in the main control options helped me to get a better understanding whats going on. Then adjust the brake pressure in the pit options to fine tune. Go ahead and download on you phone or laptop a upd app or two and all your info will be on that, some show imputs also. pay attention to your temp and what cars have tire warmers. The cars that don't you need to wait until your temps come up to really see how the car is behaving.

Chimildo
23-02-2017, 14:52
Are you using the shoulder buttons to scroll through the setup menus. Also when you driving if you press left on the d pad you'll get a screen up that shows temps pressures and inputs

Schnizz58
23-02-2017, 16:08
That's only the first page. There are multiple pages of setup for each car. On a controller, use RT/LT to scroll through other pages.

Alfisti
23-02-2017, 18:55
This is hilarious.

Rambo_Commando
27-02-2017, 03:13
Hi all,

Something has to be wrong with your controller. The Formula Rookie and Gulf are such a treat to drive and are very forgiving. I've never encountered braking issues like you mentioned, even when I first got the game.

Alfisti
02-03-2017, 14:17
The hardest part of the game is getting the controller settings right, it took me weeks.