PDA

View Full Version : Performance issues in pcars

johnny_303
21-02-2017, 08:51
Hi everyone. John here. I've been trying to get pcars
to run ok, but I'm experiencing low frame rate with
mid to low settings. I know my pc isnt much, but I guess it should handle the game
a bit better.

My setup is as follows:

pc

toshiba satellite l850

i7 3630qm 2.4ghz / 3.2 ghz turbo

4gb RAM

AMD radeon hf7670m 2 gigs

running windows 8 64 bit

I am using the keyboard ( going to buy a wheel soon )

and im testing the game

with the bmw m3 gt ( default setup )

on monza short.

my settings are:

post proc. filters on

bloom off

heat haze on

global spec. irradiance off

rain drops off

vignette off

crepuscular rays on

screen dirt on

resolution 1600x900

windowed no

texture resolution medium

texture filtering anisotropic 4x

vsync yes

anti aliasing off

fxaa off

smaa off

reflections low

env. map medium

car detail medium

track detail medium

shadow detail low

enhanced mirror off

motion blur off

render frames ahead 1

detailed grass low

particle level medium

particle density medium

I read some threads here regarding similar issues,
and I've tried different drivers, amd catalyst, from 14 to latest, and theres not much of a difference.
I've also tried radeon pro, disabling almost everything. Also tried command lines, like
skipcrowd, etc, not much of a diference there. Tried the 32 bit version too.
Tried setting high priority to pcars too. Frame rate is always around 25, 30fps, with these settings,
and if I turn on DS2X, it drops to 15, max 20. The other AA are left turned off.
I can run some games on this pc, nothing much, but it runs semi recent titles ok,
like spintires, grid 2, nfs hot pursuit, far cry 3, euro truck simulator 2, with pretty much
everything on max, and get around 50~60 fps.

I'm might try setting up the game on a different os,
see if I get it working. I really like the game.

Any ideas on how to improve frame rate would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Mad Al
21-02-2017, 09:12
turn down track, car and env map to low, turn off detail grass and put particle settings both to low.. put fxaa on low for a little AA as small cost.
You could also turn shadow off (it doesn't look that bad)

You can also go with a lower resolution to reduce the strain

and that's as good as you are going to get.. basically your GPU is way under the min spec 5770 performance wise.

johnny_303
21-02-2017, 09:36
turn down track, car and env map to low, turn off detail grass and put particle settings both to low.. put fxaa on low for a little AA as small cost.
You could also turn shadow off (it doesn't look that bad)

You can also go with a lower resolution to reduce the strain

and that's as good as you are going to get.. basically your GPU is way under the min spec 5770 performance wise.

My gpu is a hd7670m with 2 gigs ram

thanks for you help, I'll give it a try on your suggested settings and will let you know results.

what is the 5770 you are talking about, is it also an amd gpu ( radeon hd 5770 ) ?

I guess mine is more similar to the recommended settings, ( radeon hd7790 ).

Do let me know if this is correct.

thanks.

I've just seen the specs for the 5570 and youre correct, performance wise it is above mine.

I'll run the game with lower settings, that will do for now.

Was thinking about upgrading my desktop, so now maybe it's a good time for that.

Thanks for your help.

Silraed
21-02-2017, 09:45
The HD 5770 is an older generation AMD GPU and is the recommended lowest spec for AMD hardware for the game. Although it is an older card than your HD 7670M it is also a full desktop model which still outperforms the slightly newer HD 7670M which is a mobile card.

konnos
21-02-2017, 09:46
Mobile editions are always lower specced than the regular version. Basically, put most things to off or low. But start with what Mad Al wrote and see if things improve.

Mad Al
21-02-2017, 09:51
My gpu is a hd7670m with 2 gigs ram

thanks for you help, I'll give it a try on your suggested settings and will let you know results.

what is the 5770 you are talking about, is it also an amd gpu?

thanks.

The 5770 is an older series AMD GPU, but a higher model (within it's series), also the M designates a mobile model which generally are slower with less hardware
It's an unfortunate fact that many people think the only important number is the first one (i.e. 7000 series is the recommended spec, but that's not really helpful if your model of 7000 series happens to be at the bottom end.. as it happens a 7750 is about on a par with the 5770)

http://www.projectcarsgame.com/faq.html

Relative performance of the 7670M and 5770
http://videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp%5B%5D=320&cmp%5B%5D=6
(note that's just one metric, but it's not a million miles off generally)