PDA

View Full Version : Track types you struggle at

Alfisti
22-02-2017, 19:59
I have noticed that I tend to struggle on the mainly british style, flowing tracks with seemingly similar corners and no big stops. I have no idea why but i just cannot seem to turn laps at the same speed as i do with say traditional european circuits.

You?

Schnizz58
22-02-2017, 21:05
I struggle on street courses, especially the claustrophobic ones like Monaco or Long Beach with walls on both sides. On the other hand I love the flowing tracks like Oulton Park & Watkins Glen.

blinkngone
23-02-2017, 02:47
For various reasons I struggle with the longer circuits so I stick to the shorter ones. I can manage Silverstone National/International but forget about Silverstone GP. Same with the Sakitto tracks, Dubai etc.. I can't do Brannochbrea, Rouen Les Essarts, Spa, Nords among others. Mostly I struggle with the cars no matter what track I am on, the GT3's set ups are a challenge. It appears someone coated Hockenheim with Amorall (I drive bumper cam so it even appears to glisten) so I do the short circuit just to say I tried, Bugatti is similar. Brands Hatch Indy and Donington National are tracks I just can't seem to get right. I guess I struggle with every bleeping track in this game which is why I enjoy it so much, most of the time.

EHM
23-02-2017, 08:23
The ones that have almost no elevation, I swear it's 10 times harder to judge braking points coming up to a corner you can barely see, even if you have a reference. Silverstone has always felt like this for me.

Silraed
23-02-2017, 08:39
The ones that have almost no elevation, I swear it's 10 times harder to judge braking points coming up to a corner you can barely see, even if you have a reference. Silverstone has always felt like this for me.

I completely agree, I have always had trouble with Silverstone for exactly that reason.

Diamond_Eyes
23-02-2017, 10:52
For Spa and British tracks check these circuit guides: https://driver61.com/resources/circuit-guide/

Driver 61 gives good insight, especially at Donington like the breakdown of Turn 1 Redgate which I struggled at and taking a late-late apex at McLeans....

For Brands Indy, I only stand on the brakes once at Druids hairpin. For the other three, I just "brush" the brakes maybe 10% (if that) and try and carry the corner speed.

Pleaze guys don't put limits on yourselves or talk yourselves down. These things just take time and the more laps you do the better. I absolutely detest Imola :dejection: like when my boy drags me to the ice-skating ring, but I refuse to give up on it....

FS7
23-02-2017, 13:55
I struggle on street courses, especially the claustrophobic ones like Monaco or Long Beach with walls on both sides. On the other hand I love the flowing tracks like Oulton Park & Watkins Glen.
Imo walls aren't exactly the problem, the main problem is track width. The reason I find circuits such as Monaco, Pau and the middle portion of Macau difficult is because they're very narrow and there's no room for error. Meanwhile tracks like Adelaide & Valencia aren't as difficult because although there are walls the track is fairly wide and gives some room for error.
Difficulty aside I still enjoy street circuits.

For me it's the opposite, I find circuits with lots of elevation changes and blind turns difficult, while flat circuits like Silverstone & Hockenheim are easy for me.

hkraft300
23-02-2017, 14:14
Spa is my nemesis.
I've read all the guides, watched all the videos.
I can't replicate my fast laps there. Sometimes I'll nail a lap by fluke that's 1+ second faster, but I won't be able to repeat it.

Alfisti
23-02-2017, 14:19
For various reasons I struggle with the longer circuits so I stick to the shorter ones.

It appears someone coated Hockenheim with Amorall

Longer tracks i struggle with as i forget the corners and this game is all about braking points, you need to nail it or your pace really suffers. Hockenheim is tricky but if you get brave the times come to you, racing there is hard though as just with Bathurst, as soon as you stop driving at 10/10ths your pace drops dramatically, Bathurst is worse TBH, I can qualy Ok but I have to run at 10/10ths, a ssoon as I back off a bit my times collapse.

Alfisti
23-02-2017, 14:20
Spa is my nemesis.
I've read all the guides, watched all the videos.
I can't replicate my fast laps there. Sometimes I'll nail a lap by fluke that's 1+ second faster, but I won't be able to repeat it.

I have driven just GT there and TBH it is one of my more consistent tracks WITH a big caveat that Eau Rouge can really hurt you, a lot of time gained or lost there in a GT car.

hkraft300
23-02-2017, 14:25
I've mostly run it in downforce cars. My splits are consistent for S1. It's somewhere in S2 that I ruin it.

+1 for Bathurst. For an Aussie it's embarrassing but I can't crack a 2:07 in GT3 cars there. I'm terribly slow in the whole downhill section.

Alfisti
23-02-2017, 15:03
I am Aussie as well (though living in Canada) and yeah I top out at 2.07 in a McLaren GT3.

TBH no idea where i would find more time, maybe into the 6's with a perfect lap but i have absolutely no idea how i'd find 3 to 4 seconds, and I mean not a clue. The Falcon is a nightmare, i cannot drive it, wheelspin everywhere.

EHM
23-02-2017, 15:37
I was doing 2:04-2:05 in Bathurst in the 12C GT3 last year (Really the only track I can perform that well at, yet was still a full second behind the aliens at that time when the fastest lap was around 2:03) and the single hardest thing for me was trying to brake properly right at the beginning of the downhill section (The "Dipper") along the sweeper without sending the car sideways, while at the same time maintaining a decent speed before the tighter right turn that follows.

I find Bathurst more easier than most circuits because there is so much visual information on every turn, however racing online is a different story, where half of the track basically becomes "Maintain your position because it's not worth being ambitious and getting into a wreck" while the only feasible overtaking is usually on the two straights. (The teleporting cars when the latency is higher also contributes to it being extremely risky trying to overtake on the hill sections)

I always found it pretty interesting in that when racing online at Bathurst on the uphill and downhill sections that it was very easy to defend a position with minimal effort, but so hard to overtake that it was better just to stay pretty close and force an error, which worked a surprisingly high amount of times.

FS7
23-02-2017, 17:54
I find the middle sector of Bathurst very difficult, a combination of narrow track, fast turns, no escape areas, elevation changes. It feels really good when I get it right driving a F1 car but even a small mistake means a collision with the wall and end of race.

I think how a difficult a track is depends on the car as well. High speed turns like the ones at Spa & Suzuka aren't too bad in a modern F1 car but can be very tricky in a touring car or on some older cars.

honespc
23-02-2017, 20:08
Ruapuna

Schnizz58
23-02-2017, 20:13
I find the middle sector of Bathurst very difficult, a combination of narrow track, fast turns, no escape areas, elevation changes. It feels really good when I get it right driving a F1 car but even a small mistake means a collision with the wall and end of race.
For me that's the most difficult piece of track in the whole game. Doing it in a high downforce car is one thing. In a GT car, it's a whole different story.

hkraft300
23-02-2017, 20:19
For me that's the most difficult piece of track in the whole game. Doing it in a high downforce car is one thing. In a GT car, it's a whole different story.

Nope I f it up in LMP cars too lol

Schnizz58
23-02-2017, 20:34
Nope I f it up in LMP cars too lol
Then I have one piece of advice for you. Don't try it in the Aston GT4. :)

I managed to get decent in F/C but haven't tried A or B and I don't think I've ever tried it in a prototype either.

hkraft300
23-02-2017, 22:07
Then I have one piece of advice for you. Don't try it in the Aston GT4. :)

I managed to get decent in F/C but haven't tried A or B and I don't think I've ever tried it in a prototype either.

Don't get me wrong.
It's an absolute blast in the C9. Crank up the boost and downforce and hang on for dear life.
R18 TDi hates the uphill section and braking into Forrest Elbow. Bumpy+ torque? Not sure. Prototypes handle it fairly well. I just get left behind through sector 2.

Schnizz58
23-02-2017, 22:13
The C9 gives new meaning to the word "skidmark".

hkraft300
23-02-2017, 23:31
By the way I love the Aston Vantage GT4.
Seeing as the Merc 190 is great on Bathurst, don't see why the Aston would be worse.
Maybe I enjoy all these cars at Bathurst because I'm not going fast enough lol

FS7
23-02-2017, 23:35
Formula A at Bathurst can be fun whenever I manage to complete a lap without hitting walls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H1kHURhNJ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fUh7gemvPk

hkraft300
24-02-2017, 00:31
FA at Bathurst? In rain? Hectic.

Alfisti
24-02-2017, 00:43
The Falcon is a nightmare, just wheel spin everywhere, i cannot drive it at Bathurst.

Dresden
24-02-2017, 05:48
1. Green Hell.
I always choose a car with too much power and end up flying off the corners and hitting the rails.

2. Silverstone.
Since they moved the start finish line on the GP track I end up always forgetting which 'half' of the track I am on.

3. Ruapuna.
I never seem to get used to it for some reason. Yet again I choose a car with too much power here as well.

Schnizz58
24-02-2017, 13:02
By the way I love the Aston Vantage GT4.
Seeing as the Merc 190 is great on Bathurst, don't see why the Aston would be worse.
Maybe I enjoy all these cars at Bathurst because I'm not going fast enough lol

It's my favorite of the GT4 cars for sure. And I don't think it would be harder than the 190. The only point I was making is that the way you drive Bathurst in a car that stays pretty well planted versus a GT car that likes to slide around a lot, well there's a big difference.

Alfisti
24-02-2017, 13:08
Interesting videos, you take very conservative lines. Surprised at the top speed, much lower than i expected, did you load up on downforce?

Ravager619
25-02-2017, 15:33
Green Hell -- No matter what my lap times are, I'll never hit every corner perfect and sometimes that bugs the you know what out of me.
Watkins Glen GP - that left hander coming out of the boot that takes you back onto the backstretch is my worst nightmare. I'll run a great lap and then around I go.

cxMilk
25-02-2017, 20:10
Nurbs GP! I've never been able to come to grips with that track. I know I consistently lose beaucoup time through the Mercedes Arena - one of my most hated pieces of tarmac out there.

Brands Hatch is a tough nut for me to crack as well. Paddock Hill use to be my nemesis but I've come to terms with that corner (sort of). The far end of the track, however....

Sonoma's another one I don't get along with too well. I know I'm losing all sorts of time in damn near every corner.

2. Silverstone.
Since they moved the start finish line on the GP track I end up always forgetting which 'half' of the track I am on.
I've had that happen on occasion, confusing Copse and Abbey and then getting the corner all sorts of wrong.

Alfisti
26-02-2017, 00:37
Brands and Sonoma are what I was referring to in the OP. cornerless momentum tracks.

FS7
26-02-2017, 12:39
Brands Hatch is a tough nut for me to crack as well. Paddock Hill use to be my nemesis but I've come to terms with that corner (sort of). The far end of the track, however....
I find Brands Hatch difficult too, I hate that first turn, most of the other high speed turns are challenging too.

hkraft300
26-02-2017, 20:32
I can't do Sonoma in downforce cars.

Silraed
27-02-2017, 03:39
I can't do Sonoma at all :(

hkraft300
27-02-2017, 06:56
I can't do Sonoma at all :(

Awesome in Group A cars. Give it a crack.

FS7
27-02-2017, 12:51
I like Sonoma's longest layout especially in modern open-wheelers, but some of the fast turns are tricky, if you go even slightly off line you either lose too much speed or go off track.

hkraft300
27-02-2017, 13:07
Can't do it. The bumps and elevation changes makes the car so nervous. Can't make the indycar work there at all.

breyzipp
27-02-2017, 22:04
Practice makes perfect. A bit off topic but last year in FM6's unicorn event to beat some hardcore dev with an insane time in a stupid Rolls Royce around Brands Hatch. I was really bad at Brands Hatch before, especially that long turn one. Well doing hundreds of laps in that car using lot of different ghosts to chase I actually started driving much better there. And this practice in the Rolls Roys carried over to other cars as well. The long Turn 1 at Brands has always been my Nemesis and while I don't take it perfectly yet it for sure had improved a lot now.

One of the most difficult corners ever for me in racing games is on the GP circuit of the Dubai Autodrome. From the map below I find turn 6 into 7 with proper exit out of 7 really hard to pull of. Same with turn 8 into 9 and proper exit. And Turn 14a into 14b with proper exit isn't easy either.

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/a1b612_5bb9cc5c003f430d99f2ddeae6275c98.jpg_srz_925_613_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Runner up for a circuit with some difficult corners would be Circuit of the Americas. :) I adore the "esses" after Turn 1 though, they are simply amazing and I'm quite good at them. :) Turn 1 itself is bit tricky and some of the corners on the 3rd sector are just not my thing. :)

EDIT - Yeah Sonoma is one I'm struggling with as well but it's also a circuit I don't enjoy that much so I'm not that interested to improve there. Dubai and COTA I like a lot more tbh. :)

hkraft300
27-02-2017, 22:43
I get a lot of guys passing me through turn 6 at Dubai only to leave them behind out of turn 7. It's essentially one tightening-radius corner, but you want to slow down early to try hit the inside kerb of T7 and get on the power early. If you don't wash off enough speed through T6, you have to keep slowing and end up wide at T7 and you're slow to get out of it.

Alfisti
28-02-2017, 01:19
Every time i see that map of dubai I want to just cut out corners 2 through 9. They are true "Pink Floyd" turns ............... senseless noodling.

Just tried Rauapauna, damn, that be tricky.

breyzipp
28-02-2017, 06:46
Every time i see that map of dubai I want to just cut out corners 2 through 9. They are true "Pink Floyd" turns ............... senseless noodling.

That would be the Dubai international layout. ;)

T1 through T5 of the GP circuit are helluva-lot-of-fun though. :)

Dresden
28-02-2017, 07:13
Yes! I forgot about that horrible turn 6 and 7 at Dubai. I always ruin my lap time through there.

Dubai international however is a very easy track. I always give a deep thanks when the track turns me right out of turn 2 and not left.

That 6 through 9 is very annoying. :mad:

Silraed
28-02-2017, 09:36
Awesome in Group A cars. Give it a crack.

Mate I have spent hours on end in all sorts of cars and I still can't hit an apex to save my life around there. It is infuriating at this point so I just tend to avoid it now that I'm not playing through careers anymore.

blinkngone
28-02-2017, 19:55
Dubai GP on PC is a tough track, there are some good guys at the top of the Leaderboards. I have managed a couple of 3rds(R8 and CLK) but it is a lot of work for me. I am pretty good at Sakitto International and I have found that I can use the set up there as my base set up for the Dubai GP, the temperature is 97 at Sakitto and 99 at Dubai so I have to do a tire pressure adjustment to make it through the 2nd lap but at least I am not floundering with no idea to get started. I make numerous mistakes but most often I blow it at turn 14 followed quickly by 15 trying to make up for blowing 14 then careening through 16 after scuttling 14 and15.

blinkngone
01-03-2017, 01:39
I took a relatively fast stable car (R18 e-tron quatro) and ran a few laps at Dubai GP. The fastest lap was the 3rd (1:41:755), weird but it seems to get faster there after a few laps. Next I took the same set up to Sonoma GP and ran a 1:18:805 on the 2nd lap, the only change I made was to lower the gearing because there really isn't as many straight sections there as Dubai. The right rear tire was overheating so there needs to be a pressure change but the other tires looked pretty good and the car handled well especially through the esses. Also the brakes were starting to over heat so the brake duct needs to be increased(it's at 75%). I hardly ever run Sonoma GP (always too intimidated before) so I was pleasantly surprised that at least now I have a staring point. Maybe you could set your cars up at Dubai (I think it's less confusing than Sonoma) and then move over to Sonoma?