PDA

View Full Version : Help me plan a proper solo/offline race (settings)

DeBH
09-03-2017, 02:14
Hey guys,

I'm relatively new to PC, and I'm loving it, despite playing on a pad with my PS4. Still a thrill.

I'm having fun with career, but it's not doing enough for me. I'd like to have more realistic settings (proper race weekend lengths).

What I'm thinking is something along the lines of the following:

Practice--1 hour (I'll drive on and off as I do other tasks)
Qualifying--30-45 minutes
Race--Laps depends on the track, but I'll aim for a ~30 minute race

I'm open to suggestions.

Also, one more thing: What tire wear and fuel usage should I set? I imagine I'd need to set a tire wear of x2 or x3 to ensure myself and AI drivers have to stop at least a couple of times for tire changes. How about fuel usage? Slow or real? As far as fuel goes, I want to choose a setting that makes the most sense with the AI. I'm not sure how they'd react.

I'm all ears to what you guys suggest are the best settings for a fun offline race of this nature.

Thanks!

kevin kirk
09-03-2017, 17:28
Hey guys,

I'm relatively new to PC, and I'm loving it, despite playing on a pad with my PS4. Still a thrill.

I'm having fun with career, but it's not doing enough for me. I'd like to have more realistic settings (proper race weekend lengths).

What I'm thinking is something along the lines of the following:

Practice--1 hour (I'll drive on and off as I do other tasks)
Qualifying--30-45 minutes
Race--Laps depends on the track, but I'll aim for a ~30 minute race

I'm open to suggestions.

Also, one more thing: What tire wear and fuel usage should I set? I imagine I'd need to set a tire wear of x2 or x3 to ensure myself and AI drivers have to stop at least a couple of times for tire changes. How about fuel usage? Slow or real? As far as fuel goes, I want to choose a setting that makes the most sense with the AI. I'm not sure how they'd react.

I'm all ears to what you guys suggest are the best settings for a fun offline race of this nature.

Thanks!
....im on xbox but I imagine its the same.Lets start for a one hour race. Starting with a full tank you could run that full hour without pitting but the AI will pit so to make it a race just pit and change tires. Fuel and tires set for real= the AI will generally pit halfway thur the race ( be sure you don't pit while your teammate is in the pit box). Fuel off tires real= Most the AI will pit around the 45 minute mark. I like to pit half way thur the race and since the AI will wait until toward the end of the race, the pit cycles will work out in the last 5 or 10 minutes of the race. I don't suggest turn tire wear off because with it off the car does some weird things with fresh tires the whole race. The longest length of time you can race without the AI pitting at all is 45 minutes.

DeBH
09-03-2017, 17:53
Thanks for your reply.

What I'm thinking, is sticking to the ~30 minute race time. I'll keep fuel usage at real, and I'll turn up tire wear to x4, requiring 1 or 2 pit stops for the race. I'm anticipating myself and the AI to pit for tire changes only.

Does this make sense, and is it a reasonable plan?

FS7
09-03-2017, 19:04
I'd like to have more realistic settings (proper race weekend lengths).

What tire wear and fuel usage should I set?
Proper race weekend length varies between different car classes, same for tyre wear rates. You should post which car you're using so that people might be able to give you suggestions on best tyre wear rate for the race length you're using.

Personally I like doing race weekend with 30-60 minute practice, 15-minute qualifying, 30 minute race. 30 minute race with tyre wear = 4x works well for the classes I like (FA, FB, LMP1, LMP2, GT3).

DeBH
09-03-2017, 19:39
The classes I like most are the ones you mentioned. I'll probably stick to GT3 racing for now.

I actually like your setup more, to be honest. Shorter qualifying, decent practice time, and solid race time. I'm going to try a 15 lap race on Spa to start with.

kevin kirk
09-03-2017, 19:57
Thanks for your reply.

What I'm thinking, is sticking to the ~30 minute race time. I'll keep fuel usage at real, and I'll turn up tire wear to x4, requiring 1 or 2 pit stops for the race. I'm anticipating myself and the AI to pit for tire changes only.

Does this make sense, and is it a reasonable plan?...... if you want them to pit for tires only then run tires x2 and fuel off in a 45 minute race. I have found the only way to be sure they don't get fuel is to just turn it off. That way they will just function around tire wear and not let fuel affect when they stop. Usually real tire wear ( fuel off so they wont pit based on the fuel instead of the tires) they pit at the 45,50, minute mark no matter what the length. Then just scale that up from there. For me it seems the side effect of having tire wear on x2 makes is its a lot easier to ruin your tires if you just happened to get the hot for a lap. I suggest a 45 minute race with tire wear at x2 if you have a lot of cars on the grid. I say that because, Keep in mind it takes 5, sometimes 10 minutes of the race for all the cars to pit and run the pit cycle with in and out laps. So 30 minutes with a lot of cars on the grid will prevent each car on the grid from having enough time to go thur its pit cycle because unless I'm mistaken they have to share the box with their teammate just like you. So they need time to wait for there teammate to get done pitting and time to pit themselves.

kevin kirk
09-03-2017, 20:00
I'm speaking about gt3 racing. Sorry should have pointed that out in my comments.

kevin kirk
09-03-2017, 20:10
let me try and explain the ai pitting boxes alittle better. Unless I'm mistaken, They need time to wear their tires to the point were they need to pit, wait for their teammate to pit and get out of the box and do their pit stop and let them have a out lap. The more cars on the grid the longer that takes for all of the cars to do that cycle because they all pit on slightly different laps. So keep that in mind in short 30 min races to keep from the race ending and cars are still coming out of the pits. Raising they tire wear rate has the side effect of you can ruin your tires just from over heating them one time because they are wearing so fast.

DeBH
09-03-2017, 20:21
In short, what's the most realistic way to have a 30 minute race? x2 or x3 tire wear? I might do 45 minute races in the future, but at the moment I'm going to stick with 30, as it's already demanding enough for me :)

hkraft300
09-03-2017, 23:46
2X tyre, real fuel.
AI pits ~45 minutes with real/real.
With 2X tyres that cuts in half, no?

DeBH
10-03-2017, 01:07
So, I just did my first custom race. 15 laps at Spa, ended up lasting 37 minutes. Qualified in 9/24, finished in 6th, ~80% AI difficulty.

It was fun. Next time, I'll set it at either 2x or 3x tire wear for such a race. AI stopped twice for tire changes.

This was the first time I did a race over 20 minutes in length. Im surprised at how I stayed concentrated throughout the whole thing. Didn't stop to think about anything else for a second... Time flew right by.

FS7
10-03-2017, 16:57
In short, what's the most realistic way to have a 30 minute race? x2 or x3 tire wear? I might do 45 minute races in the future, but at the moment I'm going to stick with 30, as it's already demanding enough for me :)
30-minute race using MP4 GT3 with tyre wear = 4x worked fine for me, I'm a fairly smooth driver and manage tyre wear well.

So, I just did my first custom race. 15 laps at Spa, ended up lasting 37 minutes.
If you divide the race length (in seconds) by your average lap time (in seconds) you get the ideal number of laps.
Race length 30 minutes = 1800 seconds; average lap time 2:26 = 146 seconds.
1800/146 = 12.33, so around 12 laps if you take into account pitstop duration.

jamieson5000
13-03-2017, 08:24
Proper race weekend length varies between different car classes, same for tyre wear rates. You should post which car you're using so that people might be able to give you suggestions on best tyre wear rate for the race length you're using.

Personally I like doing race weekend with 30-60 minute practice, 15-minute qualifying, 30 minute race. 30 minute race with tyre wear = 4x works well for the classes I like (FA, FB, LMP1, LMP2, GT3).

Does this work for for Formula A??

I just spent all weekend testing in formula a then I went into career mode where I found out the Ai don't pit.... very frustrating......

So if I did a 60 minute race in formula A with real tyre wear will the Ai pit??

I'm on pc too by the way.

FS7
13-03-2017, 18:59
So if I did a 60 minute race in formula A with real tyre wear will the Ai pit??
For a 60-minute FA race tyre wear = 2x would probably be better.