PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Reality VR

fra z
14-03-2017, 14:38
Hi,

Does the VR - Virtual Reality work with Project Cars - I don't know much about this but I've seen something called Oculus and it's pretty expensive!!! - If it does work just mention it - and how it connects? - HDMI? - think I read something about that too! - But apart from that don't know.....please fill in the blanks

RomKnight
14-03-2017, 15:23
Oculus Rift, Vive (PC), PSVR (for playstation4) and many others on the way or already in existence cheaper (and limited in function) even samsung phones can be used for VR :)

But yes, Oculus (OR for short) and HTC Vive do work with pCARS

Mad Al
14-03-2017, 16:14
Min required for Oculus Rift is HDMI 1.3 and 2 USB ports (1 of which has to be USB 3).. I know it says 3 on the Oculus site, but one of them is for the controller... which you don't strictly need... although I have a 360 controller hooked up anyway.
SLI is not (currently) supported and probably won't be for quite some time (if ever, in most current titles).. so beefy single card is best (anything over the recommended, I'd hate to think how PCars would look if you tried with a 1050Ti.. stutter fest probably).
VR is a trade off, visual quality is lower that a normal monitor.. but the immersion factor more than makes up for it. Try looking at a normal monitor with a magnifying glass... that will give you a bit of an idea of the "screen door" effect that you get... but you are literally sitting in the car and can look around, get a close up of the dials, etc....

jjcuff1
14-03-2017, 18:02
It is an awesome experience but a i5 4690k and 1070 is min spec IMHO

Ryzza5
14-03-2017, 23:18
I'd say you'd also need a decent steering wheel as well if you don't already have one.

fra z
15-03-2017, 06:41
Min required for Oculus Rift is HDMI 1.3 and 2 USB ports (1 of which has to be USB 3).. I know it says 3 on the Oculus site, but one of them is for the controller... which you don't strictly need... although I have a 360 controller hooked up anyway.
SLI is not (currently) supported and probably won't be for quite some time (if ever, in most current titles).. so beefy single card is best (anything over the recommended, I'd hate to think how PCars would look if you tried with a 1050Ti.. stutter fest probably).
VR is a trade off, visual quality is lower that a normal monitor.. but the immersion factor more than makes up for it. Try looking at a normal monitor with a magnifying glass... that will give you a bit of an idea of the "screen door" effect that you get... but you are literally sitting in the car and can look around, get a close up of the dials, etc....

I read somewhere that HTC has a mini display port in or output for connection to the GPU - That's a relief - Have the other makes got display port connection?

So the connection would be

GPU display port > Monitor in display port
GPU display port > VR mini/normal display port

This is what I'd like to do

It'll take a while to get it all together but......

I will be going 1080p [1920 x 1080] with G Sync monitor - and also a VR connected with display port - Is all this function available on all the VR controllers?

Of course I'll check it out as well -

Any yes I will get a steering wheel - You bet - But one thing at a time - It's not so simple - :cheerful: - Gone are the TV game days when you just hook up a console to the TV - All in the ins and outs have to be covered - :encouragement:

jjcuff1
15-03-2017, 17:33
I started with my PC them sim setup first. When all that was rocking 4k, maxed out with FFB wheel and simvibe then I added VR

That way you know you can handle it. If you cant run 4k on a monitor (even with DSR) and pretty high to ultra settings do not even try VR

fra z
16-03-2017, 07:59
I started with my PC them sim setup first. When all that was rocking 4k, maxed out with FFB wheel and simvibe then I added VR

That way you know you can handle it. If you cant run 4k on a monitor (even with DSR) and pretty high to ultra settings do not even try VR

Ah so you say 1080p is a NO ?

VR is 1440p?

I figure on going 1080p to get better frame rates 144 hz and going with 1080 GTX - VR with 1080? - If this is a no - then VR may not be that good YET -? -Query

Schadows
16-03-2017, 13:51
Mine (HTC Vive) is connected to my PC through mini Display port (DP <-> mini DP cable not included with the headset, only HDMI <-> HMDI is included by default).
My TV (not a PC monitor) is connected through HDMI.

Both OR and Vive use a native 1200p resolution (one half per eye). You could (in theory) use supersampling / renderScale value under "1" to get a lower resolution, but frankly, with the graphical downgrade in VR, I wouldn't recommand to push the downgrade further.
And by the way, the native refresh rate those VR headset screens is 90Hz.

Currently, i'm not sure you can maintaining 90fps, even with a 1080 (don't know about Ti version), unless you select very low graphical settings.

VR still ask for a lot of resources, and the game engine wasn't probably built with VR in mind. That will surely change for the sequel but in the meantime, As Mad Al said, you have to make a choice between prettier graphics (standard display), and better immersion (VR).

jjcuff1
16-03-2017, 18:43
You are confused a little. You can not change the speed or rez of the VR. What Schadows said is true.

But I have the Rift and the new ASW time warp feature works very well. Combine that with Super Sampling and it is night and day difference for IQ. I went from almost returning the the RIFT to its all I play now. i wont look at monitor games again.
a GTX 1070 will run high to ultra on Pcars with 1.5+ Super sample and you will be immersed.

On any game outside of Pcars. My 1070 can max out the settings and run SS at 2.0 and I get a fluid experience.

fra z
17-03-2017, 15:04
OK are you talking to me about being confused? - :excitement:

What resolution is VR? [may seem like a dumb question - oops] -

beetes_juice
17-03-2017, 15:30
2160 x 1200

eromain37
11-06-2019, 20:47
Despite looking at the Oculus and Project Cars websites in details, I am not seeing this info...can you use the Oculus Rift on PC2 when using the XBox one? Thanks

Juiced46
12-06-2019, 00:31
Despite looking at the Oculus and Project Cars websites in details, I am not seeing this info...can you use the Oculus Rift on PC2 when using the XBox one? Thanks

No. Xbox does not have any VR support. Oculus works on PC only.