PDA

View Full Version : What is the toughest class for you to drive?

jaredinhouston
30-03-2017, 14:19
I've noticed that the GT3 and Australian Supercars are so easy to drive and stick to the road so I am driving GT4 and my hands are full with the Mustang. Maybe the other cars in the class handle better and this one just suffers from Cars and Coffee Mustang Syndrome but my back end will let loose with any little mistake or early exit throttle. A lot more fun in my mind then stuck to the road GT3.

bradleyland
30-03-2017, 17:26
It's all the damn pedestrians SMS put in the grandstands. The Mustang can't resist the pull!

bradleyland
30-03-2017, 17:57
Hardest class for me are the historic classes. Some examples:

Aston Martin DBR1 (not the Le Mans prototype, the oooold one) will really test your resolve in every way; oversteer, braking understeer, high-speed instability, you name it.

Ford GT40 MkIV: pushes like a bulldozer.

Sierra RS500: the turbo lag in this car will put the rear out front in a hurry.

Stanceworks 2002 (with the default setup): feels like it has caster wheels at the rear.

Mercedes 300SL: drives like a refrigerator full of lead, riding on bicycle tires.

Schnizz58
30-03-2017, 18:48
I've noticed that the GT3 and Australian Supercars are so easy to drive and stick to the road so I am driving GT4 and my hands are full with the Mustang. Maybe the other cars in the class handle better and this one just suffers from Cars and Coffee Mustang Syndrome but my back end will let loose with any little mistake or early exit throttle. A lot more fun in my mind then stuck to the road GT3.
The only GT4 car I've tried is the Aston Martin and it's pretty much as you describe. Back end lets go anytime I get on the gas too hard, especially if I'm going uphill. (I would have thought going uphill would give extra traction to the rear wheels but it doesn't.) Try your Mustang on Sonoma.

Hardest class for me are the historic classes. Some examples:

Aston Martin DBR1 (not the Le Mans prototype, the oooold one) will really test your resolve in every way; oversteer, braking understeer, high-speed instability, you name it.

Ford GT40 MkIV: pushes like a bulldozer.

Sierra RS500: the turbo lag in this car will put the rear out front in a hurry.

Stanceworks 2002 (with the default setup): feels like it has caster wheels at the rear.

Mercedes 300SL: drives like a refrigerator full of lead, riding on bicycle tires.
Great descriptions! I took the DBR1 down Azure Coast last night. I was taking it easy because I'm not familiar with either the car or the road. It was a fun trip but the car is definitely a handful.

Roger Prynne
30-03-2017, 19:15
Ginetta GT4 is the best in that class I think.

khems17
30-03-2017, 19:54
The vintage lotus open wheel cars are definitely my worst "class". I can never seem to keep the pointed in the right direction.

bradleyland
30-03-2017, 20:39
Great descriptions! I took the DBR1 down Azure Coast last night. I was taking it easy because I'm not familiar with either the car or the road. It was a fun trip but the car is definitely a handful.

As much of a handful as the DBR1 can be, I do love driving it... I just stick to driving at 7/10ths :) It's amazing anyone lived through that era of racing!

Ravager619
31-03-2017, 06:13
The Mustang in the GT4 class can be a handful, but that's why I love it. It's not easy to drive, and to be honest it's not much better than the road car.

hkraft300
31-03-2017, 13:48
I suck at GT3, V8sc and I'd say Formula B.

Silraed
01-04-2017, 02:05
I suck at GT3, V8sc and I'd say Formula B.

GT3 used to be my nemesis, I have had to learn to enjoy them for racing online though. Well enjoy the Mclaren at least.

I find the modern prototypes the toughest personally.

hkraft300
01-04-2017, 11:22
GT3 used to be my nemesis, I have had to learn to enjoy them for racing online though. Well enjoy the Mclaren at least.

I find the modern prototypes the toughest personally.

I enjoy driving them but not a lot. The McLaren is nice to drive. The Aston is good too.
I like the gt4 class better.
And GT1 even more so.
Try the LMP2 they're not as intense and fast as the LMP1/900 but make great racing.

Silraed
01-04-2017, 11:43
I'll give LMP2 a shot tomorrow, have a recommended track they work well on?

Craigieboy007
01-04-2017, 11:55
I'm a seasoned player of the F1 series but the Formula A cars I struggle to be fast at. I can do the other Formula series's justice but the As I feel out of my element.

hkraft300
01-04-2017, 12:32
I'll give LMP2 a shot tomorrow, have a recommended track they work well on?

Anywhere really with a bit of tuning though Imola kerbs you'd want to avoid. Default setup take it to a familiar track. Build your confidence in the aero. The turbo boost on the rwd and especially marek can bite on low speed corner exit. Maybe start with the Oreca/Alpine. You can find my setups on projectcarssetups.eu.

I'm a seasoned player of the F1 series but the Formula A cars I struggle to be fast at. I can do the other Formula series's justice but the As I feel out of my element.

You mean the codemasters F1 games?
I thought I was doing alright in the gran turismo formula cars, until I did my first laps of the Formula A :o

Craigieboy007
01-04-2017, 12:39
You mean the codemasters F1 games?
I thought I was doing alright in the gran turismo formula cars, until I did my first laps of the Formula A :o

Yeah, been playing them on PS3/4 since 2010. I guess cause they kinda have a wider appeal to a game like Project Cars that they would be a bit easier to drive.

Silraed
01-04-2017, 13:21
Anywhere really with a bit of tuning though Imola kerbs you'd want to avoid. Default setup take it to a familiar track. Build your confidence in the aero. The turbo boost on the rwd and especially marek can bite on low speed corner exit. Maybe start with the Oreca/Alpine. You can find my setups on projectcarssetups.eu.

Thanks I'll give it a spin, figuratively not literally hopefully. I put off looking into setups for so long it feels like it's too late now but maybe I'll borrow yours to give it a go.

The Formula A is nice once you get the hang of the precise steering and the bite point of the tyres on corner exit. The only thing I don't like about it is that ridiculous second gear.

Silraed
03-04-2017, 04:26

Took the Apline/Oreca for a drive around Imola and the best I could manage was a 1:36.909 with the default setup. Around Sakitto I could only manage a scrappy 1:32.787.

I didn't get time to try using a custom setup but I can't imagine even the most perfect setup would bring me anywhere close to the fastest guys in these things. They just don't fit my driving style or something.

ryandtw
03-04-2017, 04:41
Probably the formula cars, especially Formula A. Very slippery. LMP1 is a bit slippery as well, but I personally like LMPs, so it's not as bad. Also takes a while to get used to GT3 cars as well, the Bentley and the Ruf (Porsche) are one of the harder ones for me to drive.

hkraft300
03-04-2017, 08:12
Took the Apline/Oreca for a drive around Imola and the best I could manage was a 1:36.909 with the default setup. Around Sakitto I could only manage a scrappy 1:32.787.

I didn't get time to try using a custom setup but I can't imagine even the most perfect setup would bring me anywhere close to the fastest guys in these things. They just don't fit my driving style or something.

You'll find a couple extra seconds from a custom tune and those tracks are difficult. Also the P20 and Marek are both a fair bit quicker than the Oreca/Alpine pair.
I'm far from the LB times, they're wild.
I'll go nuts tweak everything on the LMP2 from springs and dampers to wings and gears to get the best tyre life and handling balance. ~100-105c brings the tyres on strong.

Synystr
03-04-2017, 11:00
The IMSA Audi and Mustang.

The Audi is hard to setup to NOT understeer like a cruiseliner. The Mustang is alright, but as a dude who likes a little throttle steer, it doesn't respond as I'd expect.

Chimildo
16-04-2017, 09:25
My most frustrating is the FA, always think I'm doing ok then it bites me in the xxxx, love the LMP's though.
When I tried the sauber c9 ( think it was a community event) I really struggled to get even a lap done, but someone had it on multiplayer the other night and I it was quite enjoyable

hkraft300
16-04-2017, 11:55
The IMSA Audi and Mustang.

The Audi is hard to setup to NOT understeer like a cruiseliner. The Mustang is alright, but as a dude who likes a little throttle steer, it doesn't respond as I'd expect.

I did a few laps in the mustang during the week at road America and Dubai. Have you played with a diff? Seems it's got fat tyres that grip well, but it handles a bit different.

My most frustrating is the FA, always think I'm doing ok then it bites me in the xxxx, love the LMP's though.
When I tried the sauber c9 ( think it was a community event) I really struggled to get even a lap done, but someone had it on multiplayer the other night and I it was quite enjoyable

I think I'm doing OK in the FA then someone comes along and posts a lap 3 seconds faster -_-

Zpectre87
16-04-2017, 12:16
I have a difficult time with grippy cars like FA, because I take a while to find their limits. The bulk of my driving is in road-based racecars, so when I jump into these sorts of cars, I have difficulty adjusting to them.

I think the best cars to test your limits are the LMP900 cars, because they don't have any driving aids, and tires aren't pre-warmed. They're also powerful.

Chimildo
16-04-2017, 12:35
I did a few laps in the mustang during the week at road America and Dubai. Have you played with a diff? Seems it's got fat tyres that grip well, but it handles a bit different.

I think I'm doing OK in the FA then someone comes along and posts a lap 3 seconds faster -_-

Only 3 seconds, you must be good, it's more like 10 seconds for me

hkraft300
16-04-2017, 15:16
I think the best cars to test your limits are the LMP900 cars, because they don't have any driving aids, and tires aren't pre-warmed. They're also powerful.

Ye they're certainly a challenge if you like prototypes. Raw experience from the LMP1/2. If you can drive the 900s fast you'll do great in the others especially in long races.

Only 3 seconds, you must be good, it's more like 10 seconds for me

I meant in public MP qualifying, not TT! TT I'm 6-8 seconds off, but I can maintain that race pace and save the tyres. My kers and drs game is weak, or that's what I'm blaming it on rather than my lack of talent lol

Ryzza5
16-04-2017, 22:33
In general I stay clear of the LMP cars - the cockpits are tiny and hard to see out of, and the engine noises (particularly diesel) don't convey the amount of power on tap, making it hard to stick close to the limit of grip consistently.

hkraft300
16-04-2017, 23:38
Try the TS050 in rain for a frustrating experience :rolleyes:

Olijke Poffer
17-04-2017, 07:19
I like the RUF RGT-8 GT3 a lot..

hkraft300
17-04-2017, 10:01

But do you struggle with it?
I do. It's my clumsy braking that spins it round.

Olijke Poffer
17-04-2017, 12:47
No not at all. Only I have to press the brakes hard to slow down. ;)

bradleyland
17-04-2017, 15:44

The thread title is "what is the toughest class for you to drive", mate :)

dault3883
17-04-2017, 16:20
The only GT4 car I've tried is the Aston Martin and it's pretty much as you describe. Back end lets go anytime I get on the gas too hard, especially if I'm going uphill. (I would have thought going uphill would give extra traction to the rear wheels but it doesn't.) Try your Mustang on Sonoma.

iv found it to be the same GT4 is so much harder than gt3 its laughable my guess is the lack of power ur not used to going that slow so it throwes you off your game but i havent tryied the historic yet we will see

Schnizz58
17-04-2017, 16:41
iv found it to be the same GT4 is so much harder than gt3 its laughable my guess is the lack of power ur not used to going that slow so it throwes you off your game but i havent tryied the historic yet we will see
I think it's more of a lack of grip than lack of power. They slide around a lot -- which is lots of fun but it was an adjustment I had to make coming into the class from open wheelers.

Yesterday I did the career event at Sonoma in GT4. I've been doing some practice sessions to try to build some consistency on that track. For me there are so many places on that circuit where I can screw up. The first couple of blind right-handers, the carousel, the esses, the chicane -- I was bad at all of it. I was lucky to put in 10 laps without an off. But it's that much more satisfying when you figure it out.

Another unusual thing about that track is that even though it's a clockwise circuit, my right-side tires heat up much more than the left. This is mostly due to the carousel, which chews up the front right.

dault3883
17-04-2017, 16:52
I think it's more of a lack of grip than lack of power. They slide around a lot -- which is lots of fun but it was an adjustment I had to make coming into the class from open wheelers.

Yesterday I did the career event at Sonoma in GT4. I've been doing some practice sessions to try to build some consistency on that track. For me there are so many places on that circuit where I can screw up. The first couple of blind right-handers, the carousel, the esses, the chicane -- I was bad at all of it. I was lucky to put in 10 laps without an off. But it's that much more satisfying when you figure it out.

Another unusual thing about that track is that even though it's a clockwise circuit, my right-side tires heat up much more than the left. This is mostly due to the carousel, which chews up the front right.

see i might have an advantage at sonoma because i used to be an avid Nascar fan so iv driven on the circuit many times including the carasel circuit on games like Need for speed pro street so im familiar with the circuit

bradleyland
17-04-2017, 19:15
Sonoma is such a great circuit. It's full of turns that require 100% commitment, even when you can't see the exit. Turns 2, 3A, 8, 8A, and even 10 all require you to know exactly what your grip level is, and require early application of throttle to avoid losing time on exit. It's like a tiny little green hell.... in a tiny little desert lol.

bradleyland
17-04-2017, 19:16

Try the Aston Margin DBR1 (not the LMP car, the old one). Take it easy and work up to any kind of pace. It's a car that is delightful when driven lightly, but will murder you without a second thought when pushed.

dault3883
17-04-2017, 21:08
Try the Aston Margin DBR1 (not the LMP car, the old one). Take it easy and work up to any kind of pace. It's a car that is delightful when driven lightly, but will murder you without a second thought when pushed.

this is where my problem comes in its one i have to overcome for years i was a diehard nascar fan and got used to driving the car hard on the nascar games and as you called it pushing the car im no longer a nascar fan though iv always loved sports car racing im now having to re-teach my self how to race on the video games and not overdrive the car and drive it as jackie stewart would say smoothly and not take more than the car is willing to give me

hkraft300
17-04-2017, 23:55
GT4 doesn't spit you into the wall by surprise if you're a fraction over the limit. Like the Caterham classic: when it let's go, you can make a coffee maybe a conversation with the wife, come back and still catch the slide.
They're not lightweight though, the GT4.

I suck at driving the stock cars. If you're not on the brakes or throttle that thing doesn't turn. Driving mostly LMP cars, I'm not used to so much trail braking and throttle steer because in an LMP you'll spin it. Stock cars feel like boats.

dault3883
18-04-2017, 00:02
GT4 doesn't spit you into the wall by surprise if you're a fraction over the limit. Like the Caterham classic: when it let's go, you can make a coffee maybe a conversation with the wife, come back and still catch the slide.
They're not lightweight though, the GT4.

I suck at driving the stock cars. If you're not on the brakes or throttle that thing doesn't turn. Driving mostly LMP cars, I'm not used to so much trail braking and throttle steer because in an LMP you'll spin it. Stock cars feel like boats.

see iv played the nascar games for over a decade i get how they handle they drive like and push like a dump truck

honespc
19-04-2017, 12:55
I've noticed that the GT3 and Australian Supercars are so easy to drive and stick to the road so I am driving GT4 and my hands are full with the Mustang. Maybe the other cars in the class handle better and this one just suffers from Cars and Coffee Mustang Syndrome but my back end will let loose with any little mistake or early exit throttle. A lot more fun in my mind then stuck to the road GT3.For the Mustang Boss GT4 increase the dec. diff. at least up to 50%. Its default is 0 lol. You could use some little tyre pressure adjusting on the rear tyres as well, but don't go too low with this car. Also Increase front suspension height a little bit, and make it the back rear stiffer by suspension, not anti-roll bar. Decrease the also absurd -4 toe it sports by default to just -1, and set the 50% brake bias to %60 at the front.

This will make the car a lot more managable, but fear not for the ladies will still ride the Ginetta, and you will not stand a chance against them regardless this little honest Mustang Boss tune setup. The ladies will always be ladies and go the easy way.

You can also leave the dec. diff at the default zero and go drifting through the entire track once tyres are up to temp, but you will be way slower due to a more unpredictable/sliding car once you're deccelerating into corners, regardless your throttle and braking skills.

I find the Lykan one of the most difficult cars to drive, and I'm pretty good with Road Cars overall. I haven't been able to setup this car in a way it changes its behaviour for the better in very noticeably way. Just use the street medium tyres as usual so you can control your drifting and spins; increase tyre pressure a bit from default, and perhaps decrease the rear anti-roll bar. There's nothing more you can do to feel confortable with this car, other than of course again increasing the dec.diff, and decreasing the accel. diff, as usual

The Ruf Yellobird (paid DLC car) will put your skills to test as well if you don't tweak the diffs properly. Amazing car this one too. You should buy this car. Men's only. Not recommended for GT3 ladies

The Ruf RT12 is calling for ya too. Hard to control spins with this one once the tyres are cooked when drifting around. Very rewarding car too (wheel needed of course, as with any other road car in order to handle them properly)

Leper Messiah
20-04-2017, 13:37
No "class" of cars for me just one car, that horrible Merc 300SEL.....it's a limo, a hearse....NOT a race car! ;)

Zpectre87
20-04-2017, 14:52
GT4s, at least from the period the game depicts, are basically the road cars stripped of the things that make them road-legal. The M3 has a 6-speed manual FFS, and I think the Mustang does, too. The M3 GT4 is the E92 CSL that BMW should've built instead of those 99 Euro-only M3 GTS cars.

For the Mustang Boss GT4 increase the dec. diff. at least up to 50%. Its default is 0 lol. You could use some little tyre pressure adjusting on the rear tyres as well, but don't go too low with this car. Also Increase front suspension height a little bit, and make it the back rear stiffer by suspension, not anti-roll bar. Decrease the also absurd -4 toe it sports by default to just -1, and set the 50% brake bias to %60 at the front.

This will make the car a lot more managable, but fear not for the ladies will still ride the Ginetta, and you will not stand a chance against them regardless this little honest Mustang Boss tune setup. The ladies will always be ladies and go the easy way.

You can also leave the dec. diff at the default zero and go drifting through the entire track once tyres are up to temp, but you will be way slower due to a more unpredictable/sliding car once you're deccelerating into corners, regardless your throttle and braking skills.

I find the Lykan one of the most difficult cars to drive, and I'm pretty good with Road Cars overall. I haven't been able to setup this car in a way it changes its behaviour for the better in very noticeably way. Just use the street medium tyres as usual so you can control your drifting and spins; increase tyre pressure a bit from default, and perhaps decrease the rear anti-roll bar. There's nothing more you can do to feel confortable with this car, other than of course again increasing the dec.diff, and decreasing the accel. diff, as usual

The Ruf Yellobird (paid DLC car) will put your skills to test as well if you don't tweak the diffs properly. Amazing car this one too. You should buy this car. Men's only. Not recommended for GT3 ladies

The Ruf RT12 is calling for ya too. Hard to control spins with this one once the tyres are cooked when drifting around. Very rewarding car too (wheel needed of course, as with any other road car in order to handle them properly)

Ginetta grids annoy me to no end, picking the Ginetta in GT4 class is like picking a Lotus or a Porsche in an arcade game.

The Boss 302R is proof of how Ford's marketing exercise with the Boss LS was a joke, because the car might be that fast and arguably faster than the M3 at Laguna Seca (the goal they reached for), but it's no use if the car is a handful throughout. Ford built a great engine and forgot the rest, they weren't prepared to tackle the Germans yet. Now they are.

The hardest car I drove in the game was the Lotus-Renault 98T, it has nearly endless lateral grip but keeping those turbos spooled is a challenge, you have to do it to be fast, otherwise you have no exit speed and the power comes all of a sudden. I got close to Nick Hamilton's time, but couldn't do it consistently. Running full boost is a pointless exercise due to the engine's lifespan, of course.

The 60s Lotus F1 cars are probably difficult in their own way. Power delivery is linear but treaded, hard tires probably makes them quite unpredictable.

McLaren F1 is difficult at the start but more manageable once you realize it neither corners nor brakes as well as it accelerates.

hkraft300
20-04-2017, 15:19
The lotus 98T default gears and suspension feels all wrong.
Springs are too soft. Any significant increase in boost needs drastic ratio changes to keep traction and make the most of the power band.
Be aggressive with it and it just screams along. Most rewarding/exciting car to drive.
Full boost is fun with mechanical failure: off only. The motor won't last 3 laps at spa otherwise lol.
I absolutely love the car though.

jaredinhouston
22-04-2017, 17:53
Its a shame I dont get to play that much, been two weeks since my dusty PS4 has been turned on. All this stuff called responsibility is over rated! I haven't played with any of the settings really due to the fact of lack of play/seat time but I'll try out your basic tune on my next race in the Mustang