PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Front left Tyre wear

Zekken
03-04-2017, 12:01
So, this is a problem I'm having with ALL cars on ALL tracks: one of my front tyres (almost always the front left) will wear A LOT faster than the rest of my tyres. always. Its getting to become quite a major issue because, Im heavily into endurance racing, and I could double stint the tyres except for this One front tyre thats always worn way down. I've seen a few mentions of uneven tyre wear before, so I don't assume its a game issue or normal or whatever, so it must be something I am doing wrong, though I find it weird that its always the front left tyre, even on tracks where that wouldn't be the case as the front right tyre would get worn more (like Bathurst for example)

here is what im talking about:

http://i.imgur.com/YTVV8Aq.jpg

as you can see, the front left is worn considerably more than the right, and the rears. (RWD P20 LMP2 is the car, but this happens with almost every car I drive)

5 minutes later:

http://i.imgur.com/di13dQR.jpg

I had to go in to the pits at the end of that lap to replace the tyre, Fuel+the other 3 tyres would of allowed me to stay out another 3-5 laps easily (on Road America)

So, what am I doing wrong thats causing this uneven tyre wear, and how do I prevent it from happening?

Diamond_Eyes
03-04-2017, 13:40
I reckon its just the nature of the track you're at.
RA is clockwise with that monster Carousel that's wearing your FL tyre at faster rate than the others.
You could try softening the suspension/slow dampers so as not to work front so hard.

MaximusN
03-04-2017, 13:52
I reckon its just the nature of the track you're at.
RA is clockwise with that monster Carousel that's wearing your FL tyre at faster rate than the others.
You could try softening the suspension/slow dampers so as not to work front so hard.

Or don't try to solve understeer with more steer(instead go slower or use the rear to steer with power). His left front is quite hot so that's a tell-tale.

It's something I have to keep telling my friends even though they come to race at my house almost weekly ;)

khems17
03-04-2017, 13:56
By the two pics shown, the temp of the LF tire is much higher than the others which will cause it to wear faster. There's a few things you could do.

Raise the tire pressure in that tire a little so it won't create as much heat. Or you could ease off on right handers a little more than you normally would drive them.

Not sure if changing the camber angle would help at all...Maybe distribute the heat a little better. But I'd try the first two things I mentioned first.

hkraft300
03-04-2017, 14:13
The FL tyre temp is good. I'd keep the same pressure on that tyre but reduce the rest. The other tyre temps are very low.
RA smashes the FL tyre. Using 1 gear higher on the right turns (3rd instead of 2nd) and a different line through the carousel will help a lot. It could do you well to increase the acceleration different by 5% increments until you're comfortable, to throttle steer on corner exit and take the load off the front.
More front wing and minimum ride height front will help. The LMP cars all have very rear biased Aero.
I'd close the brake duct much more too. Your brake temps are too low as well.

Zekken
03-04-2017, 22:58
Well, this isn't just a problem with RA. its every track I race on. I was just racing on RA in this instance when I decided to ask for help solving it. but ill try with those settings mentioned and see what happens for now. thanks

hkraft300
03-04-2017, 23:07
It'll happen at donington, brands, Silverstone, Watkins to name a few. Tracks with long fast turns load up the outside wheel and that's where a lot of the wear happens.
Bathurst and Imola are harder on the FR tyre.

This could also be wheel calibration, controller settings..

Roger Prynne
04-04-2017, 01:02
Are you using a wheel or pad?

Zekken
04-04-2017, 02:15
Xbox Controller

kevin kirk
04-04-2017, 05:59
I had that issue and it turned out me having abs on was making the car push very badly going into corners. I didn't really notice how bad it caused it to push until I just happened to turn abs off one day and noticed a big difference in the car. I will try to explain this so you can understand. The abs was causing the car to walk itself off the racing line to the out side of the corner, during the corner, by the front tires and rear tires taking turns at temporary loosing grip over and over again until I made it thur the corner. During the whole time around the corner the car would understeer then over steer, understeer then over steer. Didn't do it with ABS off and went thru the corner smoothly. Also having the stability control option on will cause that same effect along with having the speed sensitivity setting to high. Those options binds the car up so much the car wont let itself turn.

hkraft300
04-04-2017, 08:13
Turning abs and stability off allows you to rotate the car more freely. It also forces you to drive clean, be smooth and learn good technique. Frustrating at first but you soon learn what not to do. You lose the safety net though.
It's good to get out on free practice, turn abs/SC off and turn tyre wear up to 4X-5X. You'll see when you're rough and making mistakes it takes big chunks out of the tyre life in 1 corner.
Also recommend speed sensitivity and controller filtering +5 or +10 from whatever you have now.

MaximusN
04-04-2017, 08:14
Xbox Controller

With a controller it's even easier to steer (a bit) more than necessary, basically putting your front wheels at an angle with the corner and burning up your fronts(the wheel on the outside gets the most punishment). This gets even worse if you have traction control on because you can't use the rear to steer the back end out a bit to relieve the fronts.

Zekken
04-04-2017, 10:59
So, I had Traction control off, but ABS and Stability control on. (I think I turned TCS off when I was trying to do some drifting and never turned it back on) I increase speed sensitivity from 60-65, and Controler filtering from 15-20. lets see how this goes, Next track up is Monza in my career mode.

also have Tyre settings as such: FL: 1.84 bar FR: 1.75 bar: RL/R: 1.70 bar. also decreased the brake duct to 35%, I have never really touched that because I don't know the optimal brake tempuratures. I just assumed ~500C was the sweet spot because most cars sat around there.

hkraft300
04-04-2017, 14:13
Cars with steel brakes (GT3/4, group A/C/4/5, Fb/fc/Indy...) sweet spot is 500c. They fade badly from 650+.
Carbon brakes you want it up above 600c or they don't bite. ~1200 max or pit engineer has a whinge.
Get the tyres up ~100c for best grip in LMP 2.

TexasTyme214
04-04-2017, 16:27
I don't think you can completely get the wear even, but moving weight ballast back and increasing oversteer will help.

hkraft300
04-04-2017, 21:55
I don't think you can completely get the wear even, but moving weight ballast back and increasing oversteer will help.

Agreed. It's a struggle using wheels too.
Manage your pace for tyre life instead of going flat out. What you lose in lap time, you gain by avoiding the pit lane.

bradleyland
04-04-2017, 23:48
I had that issue and it turned out me having abs on was making the car push very badly going into corners. I didn't really notice how bad it caused it to push until I just happened to turn abs off one day and noticed a big difference in the car. I will try to explain this so you can understand. The abs was causing the car to walk itself off the racing line to the out side of the corner, during the corner, by the front tires and rear tires taking turns at temporary loosing grip over and over again until I made it thur the corner. During the whole time around the corner the car would understeer then over steer, understeer then over steer. Didn't do it with ABS off and went thru the corner smoothly. Also having the stability control option on will cause that same effect along with having the speed sensitivity setting to high. Those options binds the car up so much the car wont let itself turn.

I think you're misattributing this a bit. It's not ABS that is causing the car to walk itself off the line, it's the fact that ABS allowed you to form bad habits (braking too late). Without ABS, if you brake too late, you lock up the fronts, and the car goes straight. With ABS, the tires lock-up/free-up hundreds of times a second. You still lose your line, but you can hang on to it.

This encourages people to brake too late and leads to more tire wear. It's not ABS that's causing it though. If you use a telemetry app, you will see that you are braking later with ABS... because you can. It's an extremely hard habit to break.