PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Numberpad on PS4 = Simple Button Box?

Ps4_racer90
04-04-2017, 16:32
Hi guys, new to the forum here on PCARS!

Just getting into Project cars after a long absence from sim racing. I recently purchased a T150 to start, its a great beginner wheel but lacks all the functions I need to change car settings on the fly when on track. I'm aware of DIY button boxes but I've no experience with soldering and I'm a cheapskate student :D

My plan is to connect a Microsoft bluetooth numberpad to the PS4 and assign buttons to allow for changes in assists and camera angles. Has anyone tried this method?

Also wondering if there is a colourful icon pack for all the assists which could be then printed and stuck on each button to make it easy to differentiate each function.

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

hkraft300
04-04-2017, 23:32
That will work well.
There's a few guys using their PC keyboards and what not.
Get a label maker and stick it on the keys then map your buttons. Can't get your hands on one? Ask the librarian at your school ;) your other option is to print it out, cut out little squares and glue!
Job done. Mad button box.

Ps4_racer90
05-04-2017, 18:22
That will work well.
There's a few guys using their PC keyboards and what not.
Get a label maker and stick it on the keys then map your buttons. Can't get your hands on one? Ask the librarian at your school ;) your other option is to print it out, cut out little squares and glue!
Job done. Mad button box.

Excellent, I have the numberpad ordered and will get working on the icons tonight, will update tomorrow if hopefully everything works as it should. Cheers.

bradleyland
05-04-2017, 19:59
I've never tried a BT numpad with my PS4, but I've used a USB keyboard. It even worked with a Mac BT keyboard :cool:

For labels I've had a really hard time finding something that fits keyboard keycaps that are precut. Instead, you can pick up a metric hollow punch set ($15 at Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-Hollow-Punch-Set-12-Piece-6588/205848344?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CTHD%7CG%7C0%7CG-BASE-PLA-D25T-HandTools%7C&gclid=CjwKEAjwq5LHBRCN0YLf9-GyywYSJAAhOw6mFDPhFQxpVwb6HsD8u3eCBouo1ip7bEcdnPVB7a8qNRoCUaLw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds)), or just get a single 13mm hollow punch (probably not much less), and punch your own out of Avery label stock. This lets you do some really cool stuff, especially if you're handy with graphics software.

The other alternative is to simply cut them out with a razor knife.

Also, before you go and buy black label stock, understand that your printer probably won't work on black label stock. Your inkjet doesn't have white ink, so you're kind of screwed printing on black paper.

Olijke Poffer
06-04-2017, 13:18
I use a usb keyboard indeed. Works great...

lancashirelad
06-04-2017, 18:40
Home made and works fine.

ISJR33
27-04-2017, 23:19
Gaffer tape; the tool of choice for all racers! Nice work.

To the OP did you get it working ok?

Roger Prynne
27-04-2017, 23:46
I've never tried a BT numpad with my PS4, but I've used a USB keyboard. It even worked with a Mac BT keyboard :cool:

For labels I've had a really hard time finding something that fits keyboard keycaps that are precut. Instead, you can pick up a metric hollow punch set ($15 at Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-Hollow-Punch-Set-12-Piece-6588/205848344?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CTHD%7CG%7C0%7CG-BASE-PLA-D25T-HandTools%7C&gclid=CjwKEAjwq5LHBRCN0YLf9-GyywYSJAAhOw6mFDPhFQxpVwb6HsD8u3eCBouo1ip7bEcdnPVB7a8qNRoCUaLw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds)), or just get a single 13mm hollow punch (probably not much less), and punch your own out of Avery label stock. This lets you do some really cool stuff, especially if you're handy with graphics software.

The other alternative is to simply cut them out with a razor knife.

Also, before you go and buy black label stock, understand that your printer probably won't work on black label stock. Your inkjet doesn't have white ink, so you're kind of screwed printing on black paper.

Plenty here.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=keyboard+stickers&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xblank+keyboard+stickers.TRS0&_nkw=blank+keyboard+stickers&_sacat=0

RMK
12-05-2017, 07:54
Home made and works fine.

Creativity at it's peak! -one of my favorite DIY's ;)

Trans-Girl
29-05-2017, 20:47
my diy button box using an arduino leonardo to emulate a usb keyboard..